do you limit sleep length cycles in day time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I cant bear to wake my baby- though the thought of having his longest cycle in the day does raise some anxiety about how the pm will go.  He eats great and im not worried about weight gain- just curious about if anyone tries to alter sleep patterns this early on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 11:01 AM

Nope. She gets tired enough to sleep after just an hour or 2 awake so even if she sleeps for 4 hours and wakes up at 9 pm she will be ready to sleep again at 11. And I actually haven't noticed a correlation between sleeping a lot in the daytime and not much at night. It's more like, some 24 hour periods she doesn't want to sleep and other ones she sleeps almost nonstop. I assume this will change though as she gets older.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:21 AM

Not intentionally, but I keep her around everyone else during the day and they generally don't let her sleep too long! I like to nurse her at least every three hours during the day anyway, makes me feel less anxious at night if she sleeps a long stretch. I find the more she sleeps during the day the better she does at night. If she gets over tired it is harder to get her down in the evenings.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

Old 09-09-2011, 01:35 PM

Nope. He's just out with us all the time, but I also haven't noticed a big correlation - he can sleep all day and night, or not! - so I don't fuss much. It's only if he's very fussy all day that I worry about him being fussy all night.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:49 PM

Another no. From what I've read, babies are unable to really regulate sleep cycles before about 12 weeks. So sleeping less during the day won't "help" nighttime sleep, it just robs from needed daytime sleep.

I tried like crazy to keep DS up during the day, and I sometimes wonder if that had a negative impact on his sleep habits. With this little girl, I'm just letting the sleeping baby lie!! smile.gif

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Old 09-09-2011, 05:26 PM

1ht

another no.  At least not intentionally.  Once he has been sleeping for many hrs like 3-4, i might stop the swing to see if he wakes on his own.  But, I dont wake him on purpose.  not at this stage.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 09-09-2011, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

Another no. From what I've read, babies are unable to really regulate sleep cycles before about 12 weeks. So sleeping less during the day won't "help" nighttime sleep, it just robs from needed daytime sleep.

I tried like crazy to keep DS up during the day, and I sometimes wonder if that had a negative impact on his sleep habits. With this little girl, I'm just letting the sleeping baby lie!! smile.gif

I think i paid way more attention than necessary with DD as well- this time I even lose track of how long he's been asleep/awake- and some ams I dont even really know if Ive slept at all - or what times/how long he was up.  Glad to know im doing the "right" thing, according to all you wise women :)

Old 09-10-2011, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post

Nope. I actually haven't noticed a correlation between sleeping a lot in the daytime and not much at night. It's more like, some 24 hour periods she doesn't want to sleep and other ones she sleeps almost nonstop. I assume this will change though as she gets older.

yeahthat.gif

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

User Tag List