How do you cosleep? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2011, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

do your babies stay on their sides?  I feel awful when DS moves to belly and i have to move him- he looks so comfy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Liam will pretty much stay on his side, but if he moves to his belly, his hands are under his head and he's facing off to the side. Sometimes I change how he's laying and sometimes I don't. It depends on how close it is to real stomach laying. He usually only goes halfway between the two.

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

Old 09-15-2011, 08:39 PM

I have him face me if he is on his side, so there is no way he can roll on his stomach, as he is against my body.  He will sometimes roll on his back.  I do have some control over it, as he is in the crook of my arm.  Sure, my arm falls asleep a lot, but my mum did it for four kids, so I think I'll manage. 

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:34 AM

I can't be the only mama who lets her babies sleep on their tummies?  Hmm...

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 09-16-2011, 08:03 AM

Mirah sleeps on her tummy on my chest quite often when nothing else works. It makes me wish I had a recliner for us to sleep in! We have a co-sleeper, but some nights she just won't do it. DH gets really nervous about her sleeping in the bed itself, so unless I'm napping with her alone, it's one of those two options. 

read.gif + REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif =babyf.gif9/2011

Old 09-16-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

nope - if Im right there I do.  He's actually great at neck mobility and I am always aware of him.  My chiropractor says it's really good for them

Old 09-16-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettles View Post

Mirah sleeps on her tummy on my chest quite often when nothing else works. It makes me wish I had a recliner for us to sleep in! We have a co-sleeper, but some nights she just won't do it. DH gets really nervous about her sleeping in the bed itself, so unless I'm napping with her alone, it's one of those two options. 

that's why this time around I went to the guestroom with the co-sleeper vs trying to get through these nights with DH there as well.  DS ends up in the bed after the first feeding of the night.  With DD I was so uncomfortable and would get up and go to the rocker in the nursery.  I got NO sleep those early days.  Im resentful in some ways that DH gets to sleep all night, but it works best for all so far

Old 09-16-2011, 01:47 PM

I let him sleep on his tummy on my chest for naps, but not if I am sleeping too.

Quote:

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

Old 09-17-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:

DD sleeps on her tummy when she sleeps on me. I have no problem falling asleep like that either. She isn't at all interested in sleeping on her tummy otherwise though - usually I put her on her side and she rolls to her back anyway, it seems to be her preferred position.

As for the original question, DD is in bed beside me. Usually I am on my side with my arm up above her head - makes for easy breastfeeding. Not usually touching her that much though sometimes we end up snuggled up and we do lay pretty close together. Other times I am on my back with my arm sort of awkwardly encircling her from the side. Then she tends to inch towards me till she's practically sleeping in my armpit. I move her to my other side when I need to give her the other breast. I lay a clean cloth flat under her head to catch milk and spit up.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:37 PM

I like her to sleep on with her head on my elbow, it seems comfy for both of us but most of the time she sleeps at my side.  I don't love that because we have a futon and my body has made an indentation that she kinda rolls into and ends up facing my side (if I'm on my back) or my tummy, the part I don't like is that she kinda gets wedged in there and I can't keep her rolled on her back....  If she is fussy in the beginning of the night she sleeps on her belly on my chest.  I'd like her to sleep in the cradle next to me (because my back hurts so bad being confined to one position with her in bed) but she usually is pretty finicky right at bed time.

First time mama!  belly.gif
Old 09-17-2011, 08:47 PM

I can't figure out how all you mamas sleep with your babies on you... if he's tummy-to-tummy with me, he just roots around for the boob (no matter if he just ate or not), and if he's on his back, he squirms around like an upside down turtle. 

I'm still working on side lying nursing. Right now I need to monitor his latch in that position or he slowly works towards just having the nipple in his mouth, but I look forward to not having to sit up at night to nurse, so we'll keep practicing!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Old 09-17-2011, 10:09 PM

We sleep tummy to tummy sometimes.  It seems to be his favorite position.  I don't mind it.  If I get tired of sleeping on my back, I will just slide him off.  Last week he had a bad tummy ache and this was the most soothing for him.  I ended up swaddling him with a hot water bottle on his tummy.  We both got sleep so I'll take it.  I actually don't find it that uncomfortable.

I can not however sleep shirtless.  The leaking is still too much even at nearly 7 weeks.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

Old 09-18-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

I can't figure out how all you mamas sleep with your babies on you... if he's tummy-to-tummy with me, he just roots around for the boob (no matter if he just ate or not), and if he's on his back, he squirms around like an upside down turtle. 

I'm still working on side lying nursing. Right now I need to monitor his latch in that position or he slowly works towards just having the nipple in his mouth, but I look forward to not having to sit up at night to nurse, so we'll keep practicing!

I didn't actually realize it was possible to side-lie and not use your hand to keep the boob in the right position! Awesome, I have something to look forward to. Right now the nipple slowly slides out of DD's mouth unless I help. It's still our favorite nursing position though, and we often fall asleep that way (DD is usually sleepy when she wakes at night and doesn't nurse very long before falling back asleep).

Also, lately DD will only sleep on her tummy on me if she is already really sleepy... otherwise she lifts her head and fusses at me :D Too bad because I really like that position, it's so soothing.

As for blankets, DD has a receiving blanket and I have a thin coverlet. We sleep on top of the bedspread and I have a pillow for myself. I also have a small wool blanket that I usually put over both of us, covering my hips and coming up to her armpits. She really doesn't like her arms covered when she's sleeping!

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:14 PM

Usually, she sleeps on her side, facing me. She'll roll onto her back now and then, but doesn't sleep that way for long.  If it's warm, I sleep topless. If I have a shirt on I'll just leave a boob out for her. I can't sleep on my back so the only time I have her sleeping on top of me is when I'm on the couch. She sleeps on her belly whenever she goes down for a nap during the day. DS always slept on his belly, too.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

User Tag List