Are you vaccinating? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 61 Old 09-22-2011, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMom2Two View Post

Absolutely, and I think any one who doesn't is dangerous and ill informed.

Vaccines are safe for the vast majority of people. The question has been scientifically settled. There are a handful of children with known mitochondrial disorders or specific food allergies for whom the risks of vaccines are greater, and these children should not be vaccinated. That only makes it more important for everyone else to get routine childhood vaccinations. Of course, I can tell you that...and someone on here will chime in with purported vaccine harm. What can I do? You can never prove never.  I can't prove that I am unable to fly. I can jump off my roof a million times, flap my arms, and not fly. I can try it a billion times and never lift off the ground. That doesn’t prove I can’t fly. It only makes it statistically unlikely. That is the problem with vaccine safety. We can say that vaccines are safe...that they are tested...but we cannot prove it didn't cause, say, autism or diabetes just like I cannot prove that the tooth fairy is not real.

I can tell you that the incidence of vaccine harm is really low. I can tell you that vaccines undergo more testing than any other drug. Your kid is more likely to be damaged by a new medication than a shot. And I can tell you that the myth of vaccine "overload" is based on nonsense. (Back when kids got one shot - the smallpox vaccine - the viral load was to the tune of 2000. Today, that is three times what children receive in all vaccines combined. Whenever a kid gets the slightest paper cut, and some portion of the trillion or so bacteria sitting around on the surface of that kid’s skin infiltrates that kid’s immune system, the kid is “vaccinated” in quantities that dwarf the comparatively minuscule load of those 26 inoculations.) 

But a lot of people prefer dogma to science, and are willing to risk public health in the process.

Hi there.  If you'd like to respectfully debate the relative merits of vaccinating (or not), the due date clubs are not the place for it.  And suggesting that folks who vaccinate (or don't) a certain way are ill informed is not acceptable here.  Please visit instead re-read the user agreement and check out Mothering's varied vaccination-related subforums. 

Due date clubs are a unique space for members to get support throughout pregnancy and it becomes difficult to do that when other folks jump in with debates.  Hopefully you understand--if not, feel free to PM me or an administrator with questions.

DDCers, please don't hesitate to contact me or hit the "report" button if this continues.  I'll be keeping an eye on things, too. 

Cheers!

--Your friendly neighborhood moderator

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page