wgat is the longest stretch of sleep you've had since giving birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 09-10-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a two night/day labor with no sleep - and since then I think the longest I got was 3 hours.....

#2 of 34 Old 09-10-2011, 05:59 PM

Probably the longest stretch was 4 hours, but that's only happened a couple times. Normal night time stretches are probably a couple of hours. Which I consider great after DS, and after peeing every 45 minutes in the last few weeks of pregnancy!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#3 of 34 Old 09-10-2011, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My baby actually slept for SEVEN HOURS STRAIGHT last night!  I wasn't asleep that whole time, but probably most of it.  I think I got into a deeper sleep than I'd experienced in quite a while.  I dreamed that I was back at work, giving a massage to a client who had a really sore muscle, and whenever I touched it she'd cry out "Ahh!  Ahh!"  Then I woke up and realized I'd incorporated the sound of my baby crying into my dream, LOL.  And my boobs hurt a lot.

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#4 of 34 Old 09-10-2011, 06:49 PM

Even though DH does most of the nighttime care for the baby, I still only get 4 hrs max- i think I may have gotten 5 hrs. I tend to wake up everytime she wakes up, which is usually at least twice a night. We all go to bed around midnight then she's usually up at 3 and again at 5 or 6 and usually I get up about 7 or 8

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#5 of 34 Old 09-10-2011, 06:56 PM

4hrs. If I do it right, I can get a good 3-4 in the first stretch of the night. We go to bed between 1 and 2 and I start by nursing him to sleep. If he eats enough then yay! And then after he's woken up that first time, he'll sleep for just two hour stretches.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#6 of 34 Old 09-10-2011, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I have no idea! I learned not to watch the clock years ago when I had one of those wake up every 30-45 minutes for years kids. I still keep my clock turned away so I can't see how often or when I wake up. I think he has let me sleep a couple hours sometimes in between feedings. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 34 Old 09-11-2011, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

Probably the longest stretch was 4 hours, but that's only happened a couple times. Normal night time stretches are probably a couple of hours. Which I consider great after DS, and after peeing every 45 minutes in the last few weeks of pregnancy!

The 2 hour stretches i tend to get are MUCH better than with DD as well.  I cant tell if he's a better sleeper (although, he is, when I think about it!!) or if im more relaxed and able to fall asleep between(during??) feedings

#8 of 34 Old 09-11-2011, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

I have no idea! I learned not to watch the clock years ago when I had one of those wake up every 30-45 minutes for years kids. I still keep my clock turned away so I can't see how often or when I wake up. I think he has let me sleep a couple hours sometimes in between feedings. 

I know- I try not to look much either - my husband asked what his 'schedule" is and I have NO idea- clearly no schedule at this age but i just try to get through the night

#9 of 34 Old 09-11-2011, 06:36 AM

Probably 3 or 4 hours has been the longest stretch.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#10 of 34 Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 AM

2-3 hours, but most times it's more like an hour at a time. I wake up to pee - yeah I know and I'm not even prg anymore - or to check on the baby. He's been clusterfeeding so much that not hearing from him for an hour makes me worry about him. I'm sure soon that'll change because my body tells me to sleep for longer stretches.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#11 of 34 Old 09-11-2011, 09:40 AM

DD is only 3 days old, but I've managed about a three hour stretch every night so far. I hope that trend continues!

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#12 of 34 Old 09-11-2011, 11:47 AM

He slept five hours last night!

I didn't, but it gives me hope! I was doing things and then took awhile to get to sleep. Then he ate and slept another 4 :)

Becky

Married to Dusty

#13 of 34 Old 09-11-2011, 01:56 PM

Just like you I was up for 2days/nights in labor and didn't get more than 2 hours of sleep for the first 2 weeks! I never felt so run down in all my life! For the last few weeks (she's just over 6 weeks now) we usually get a 4 hour stretch from 1am-5am and then another 3 hour stretch after that, so it's pretty good. One night she slept 5 hours and I felt like a new woman the next day! I wish that would happen again soon!

#14 of 34 Old 09-11-2011, 03:20 PM

I gave birth on Monday night and literally did not shut my eyes for sleep until late Weds. night. That was horrible because my body was jerking like it thought it was asleep. The longest stretch I had was ONE 2.5 hour stretch where Finn slept on DH. We are usually up every 1/2 hour to hour because he is seriously just a cat napper. He nurses all night long and I wake up to latch him.
#15 of 34 Old 09-11-2011, 04:18 PM

Maybe 5.5 hours? Little man is a great sleeper. Even when he does wake up to eat, I pop a boob in his mouth and I'm back to sleep in less than two minutes. smile.gif

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#16 of 34 Old 09-11-2011, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybeans View Post

Maybe 5.5 hours? Little man is a great sleeper. Even when he does wake up to eat, I pop a boob in his mouth and I'm back to sleep in less than two minutes. smile.gif

jealous- you must feel amazingly rested :)

#17 of 34 Old 09-11-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

PS= does he sleep like that all day- or just pm?

#18 of 34 Old 09-11-2011, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

Just like you I was up for 2days/nights in labor and didn't get more than 2 hours of sleep for the first 2 weeks! I never felt so run down in all my life! For the last few weeks (she's just over 6 weeks now) we usually get a 4 hour stretch from 1am-5am and then another 3 hour stretch after that, so it's pretty good. One night she slept 5 hours and I felt like a new woman the next day! I wish that would happen again soon!

that's what Im hoping to achieve eventually :)  It took my daughter a long time to get there but i feel DS is a better sleeper already.

PS- what time do you all go to bed?  I tell myself i should go earlier but with another child dinner for us grownups doesnt happen til 7:30/8 and I need a little time to wind down.  Im in bed around 10-11 most nights- with DD I learned to eat around 5:30 and would go to bed around 7 so i could get some sleep while DH watched her.  So far it's not necessary- though i wish I had more sleep most days.....

#19 of 34 Old 09-11-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

He slept five hours last night!

I didn't, but it gives me hope! I was doing things and then took awhile to get to sleep. Then he ate and slept another 4 :)

hope is GOOD- that's how i look at it too when I "miss' the wave of long sleep- someday Ill get it :)

#20 of 34 Old 09-11-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

that's what Im hoping to achieve eventually :)  It took my daughter a long time to get there but i feel DS is a better sleeper already.

PS- what time do you all go to bed?  I tell myself i should go earlier but with another child dinner for us grownups doesnt happen til 7:30/8 and I need a little time to wind down.  Im in bed around 10-11 most nights- with DD I learned to eat around 5:30 and would go to bed around 7 so i could get some sleep while DH watched her.  So far it's not necessary- though i wish I had more sleep most days.....

I was wondering that, too. We go to bed usually around 1 or 2 and he nurses for about fifteen minutes to half an hour. And then we get up somewhere between 10 and noon.

Becky

Married to Dusty

#21 of 34 Old 09-11-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

We usually go to bed somewhere btwn midnight and 2:00- usually its right about 1 though. We're up sometime between 7 and 8 normally. Probably when DH leaves for basic, I'll go to bed earlier (maybe). Right now I stay up b/c most nights he doesn't get home until 11:30 and we like to spend a little time together before going to bed.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#22 of 34 Old 09-11-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Same here! I feel so lucky. Especially since this is my first kid and I have online classes I get to sleep in with her. :) She'll seriously sleep till noon some days.

Riley, 21 Photographer Mom to Lilah Mae (8/13/11)
#23 of 34 Old 09-12-2011, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

I was wondering that, too. We go to bed usually around 1 or 2 and he nurses for about fifteen minutes to half an hour. And then we get up somewhere between 10 and noon.

that sounds luxurious- since i have a 4 yr old to get up with i should really be tying to get sleep on the other end - but again ate late, read and missed a 6 hr stretch from 7:30-1:30.  UGH.  When will I learn!!!

#24 of 34 Old 09-12-2011, 06:20 AM

Will is 4.5 weeks old, and I've gotten 4 hours two times.  Typically I get 1.5-2.5 hour stretches at night, a few times/week he gives me a 3 hour stretch which automatically make it a "good" night.  Last night he ate at 10, 1, 4, and 6, which I thought was awesome.  Jeb came in my bed at 6 and we all snuggled/dozed until 8 when we got up for the day which is also very very good.  When I have a bad night with Will and Jeb gets us up for the day at 630, I'm totally beat. 

I usually go to bed for the night between 930 and 11, depending on when Will settles. 

Nald, can everyone have dinner together so you can get to bed earlier? 

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#25 of 34 Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 AM

OMG, OMG, OMG. Baby Caroline slept from 11:00 last night, to 8:00 this morning!!!! OMG, OMG, OMG. I am still in shock! She's always been a great sleeper and got at least one four hour stretch but after this I feel like a new woman!! I definitely did not sleep that whole time but I got six good hours, although I definitely did keep waking up to make sure she was still breathing! She was pretty fussy last night and ate, ate ATE!!!

Katie Mae belly.gifMama to DD1 08/11 and expecting stork-suprise.gif03/14
Momma to three cat.gif

#26 of 34 Old 09-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Wow!!  Kudos to you, mama!  Enjoy that energy!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#27 of 34 Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemaeeee View Post

OMG, OMG, OMG. Baby Caroline slept from 11:00 last night, to 8:00 this morning!!!! OMG, OMG, OMG. I am still in shock! She's always been a great sleeper and got at least one four hour stretch but after this I feel like a new woman!! I definitely did not sleep that whole time but I got six good hours, although I definitely did keep waking up to make sure she was still breathing! She was pretty fussy last night and ate, ate ATE!!!

jaw2.gif AWESOME! Here I was stoked about 4.5 hours. lol...

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#28 of 34 Old 09-12-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

WOW- congrats! Do you feel amazing?  My lO slept 6 hrs last night but i only got the last 2 1/2- I will learn!!!

#29 of 34 Old 09-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Whoa, six hours is a wonderful chance to sleep! It does seem that the way I sleep is different though. I was always a heavy sleeper, well, until pregnancy when I had to pee all the time. And now I sleep SO lightly. It seems like I wake up every time DD makes a noise! So I still don't feel totally rested, kwim? Still, its been wonderful!!! :D

Katie Mae belly.gifMama to DD1 08/11 and expecting stork-suprise.gif03/14
Momma to three cat.gif

#30 of 34 Old 09-12-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Whoa, six hours is a wonderful chance to sleep! It does seem that the way I sleep is different though. I was always a heavy sleeper, well, until pregnancy when I had to pee all the time. And now I sleep SO lightly. It seems like I wake up every time DD makes a noise! So I still don't feel totally rested, kwim? Still, its been wonderful!!! :D

same- I could sleep through anything- now I am not sure if I ever really fall fully asleep- that's the "payoff" for co-sleeping ,I guess- although i think id sleep worse if he weren't with me and I was straining to hear him all night...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page