Baby not gaining weight. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 09-12-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am devastated. And shocked. I just sat and bawled my eyes out when I saw his weight. He was 9.5 at birth. At 4 days after birth, he weighed 9.3. Diaper was on (dry) and it was NOT the same scale as today. Today. He weighted 9.11. I was absolutely SHOCKED. It has been a month since birth. Hubby and I were both thinking he'd be at least 11 lbs. He looks big, is so alert and happy, nursing well, poops 6-10 times a day, pees all the time. I am just shocked. I do no know what to think. I go from worrying that it's me to wondering if he has some disease causing him to not gain. I am also wondering if it's possible that he was actually losing weight still at that initial appointment at 4 days after birth. He was jaundiced then and VERY tired. I would say his poops and pees were not what I were comfortable with until 10 days. They increased then and have stayed good. I hear him gulp. I leak. What is going on? greensad.gif I'm so upset.

Ped said she was fine with giving it a week. She said he looked perfect. Healthy, alert, and just a picture of health. I am going to nurse and then get him weighed on Friday. She said if he doesn't gain at least an ounce a day then she will want to do labs. greensad.gif

Oh. And his poops, especially towards the end of the day, have been a bit greenish. Last night he had one with mucus. Can oversupply (foremilk/hindmilk imbalance) cause low weight gain? What about food intolerance? He's very gassy and seems in pain a lot. No spit up though.

Please help me. We nurse on demand. We nurse all the time. I really don't want to have to supplement. I just don't know how to figure this out. I'm so stressed and so upset right now. My heart is breaking. I struggled with supply last time and I finally felt like my supply was good.... oh and I'm already on galactagogues. I really really do believe my supply is adequate and that's the frustrating thing. greensad.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 09-12-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

I'm just going to sit here and cry until Friday when I have him re weighed.

I did start zoloft a couple weeks ago. Hale says theoretically babies could have slower weight gain but no studies or proof on that. I'm stopping zoloft. I just can't wrap my head around it though. I see his output!!!
#3 of 37 Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 AM

I'm sorry, veggiemom, that sounds heartbreaking. greensad.gif I hope everything turns out to be fine. hug2.gif

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#4 of 37 Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Before you panic, you should know that scales can vary a lot!  Did you have him weighed this time on the same scale he was weighed on before??  All of the other signs you are mentioning (lots of poops, happy and alert, lots of pees, gulping when nursing) sound SOOOOO good, you know?  I hope he gains a bunch by Friday to put your mind at ease!  Make sure you get him weighed on the same scale on Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomto2 View Post

I am devastated. And shocked. I just sat and bawled my eyes out when I saw his weight. He was 9.5 at birth. At 4 days after birth, he weighed 9.3. Diaper was on (dry) and it was NOT the same scale as today. Today. He weighted 9.11. I was absolutely SHOCKED. It has been a month since birth. Hubby and I were both thinking he'd be at least 11 lbs. He looks big, is so alert and happy, nursing well, poops 6-10 times a day, pees all the time. I am just shocked. I do no know what to think. I go from worrying that it's me to wondering if he has some disease causing him to not gain. I am also wondering if it's possible that he was actually losing weight still at that initial appointment at 4 days after birth. He was jaundiced then and VERY tired. I would say his poops and pees were not what I were comfortable with until 10 days. They increased then and have stayed good. I hear him gulp. I leak. What is going on? greensad.gif I'm so upset.

Ped said she was fine with giving it a week. She said he looked perfect. Healthy, alert, and just a picture of health. I am going to nurse and then get him weighed on Friday. She said if he doesn't gain at least an ounce a day then she will want to do labs. greensad.gif

Oh. And his poops, especially towards the end of the day, have been a bit greenish. Last night he had one with mucus. Can oversupply (foremilk/hindmilk imbalance) cause low weight gain? What about food intolerance? He's very gassy and seems in pain a lot. No spit up though.

Please help me. We nurse on demand. We nurse all the time. I really don't want to have to supplement. I just don't know how to figure this out. I'm so stressed and so upset right now. My heart is breaking. I struggled with supply last time and I finally felt like my supply was good.... oh and I'm already on galactagogues. I really really do believe my supply is adequate and that's the frustrating thing. greensad.gif

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#5 of 37 Old 09-12-2011, 11:02 AM

My son had very slow weight gain, I don't recall the numbers, but at each appointment it was a battle to wait 'one more week' to let him gain. He did lose quite a bit of weight immediately after birth, then was jaundiced, then gained at a very very leisurely rate. I was always surprised, as he was nursing on demand, and 'demanding' to nurse about 23 hours of every day!

He just settled into the lowest portion of the curve of the growth chart and was happy there. I hope that's all it is for your little one as well, and that he does gain the oz per day he needs to before the next appointment.

~SynEpona~
#6 of 37 Old 09-12-2011, 11:02 AM

Sorry to hear your LO isn't gaining weight... like all we need is one more thing to worry about! hug2.gif

I don't have any previous experience, but from what I've read in Jack Newman's book is that weight doesn't matter when you have all the other factors that you are mentioning: healthy looking baby, alert, eating well, good poops & pees, nursing on demand, etc. 

How many green poops is he having? Maybe you can pump a little "off the top" before a feeding so that he can start out with more fatty milk? 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#7 of 37 Old 09-12-2011, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys.

I'm washing pump parts now.

He did not get weighed on same scale because it was a different location. We tried two different scales in office (it was a different office) and they were 1.5 ounces apart. Also, last time he was weighed with his diaper - though it was only a newborn sposie so I doubt it weighed much.

On Friday I will have to have him weighed on the scale he was weighed on at his 4 day appoinment, which sucks but I can't go to the other office. At least this will give us some idea ...

Green poops have increased. For a while it was just one in the evening. Yesterday all but one was greenish. Not fully green, but definitely a green tint. The Ped mentioned it was a little green as well. He pooped all over her shirt!

You know how you just want to relax? Just know that your baby is being fed and satisfied? It's just not going to happen for me. I have been stressing out whenever he's crying in the car or wherever. Looks like there's more of that to come. I just wanted him to weigh a good amount SO BADLY so that I could start believing he was doing ok.
#8 of 37 Old 09-12-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

He looks so healthy!

6128996068_d69e2fd44c.jpg
Untitled by VeronicaVPhotography, on Flickr
#9 of 37 Old 09-12-2011, 11:17 AM

First, I wouldn't go off the zoloft if it's helping you.  You don't need to be in a bad place emotionally right now, you need to be as strong as possible.  If you think the zoloft is helping, stay on it!!  Finn needs a happy mama first and foremost.  Ok, and secondly -- you don't know how low he dropped!  He's above his birth weight, mama!  You ARE doing it!  Maybe he dropped down further than 10% and he's gained back 2 lbs.  You have no idea, so please don't worry that he's not gaining.  He IS gaining, just perhaps slower than most babies do.  Poops and pees are fabulous signs that he's getting plenty to eat.  It'll stick.  Have faith in him, have faith in you.

hug2.gif

Another thing is you can always supplement with pumped milk first before resorting to formula.  Talk this over with your ped if you're unsure, but sometimes nursing and then "topping off" with an ounce or 2 of pumped milk can make the difference for early gain.  Just a thought.  Don't go there yet unless you need to, ok?  Love to you, mama.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#10 of 37 Old 09-12-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys. You have no idea how much it helps to have you all to talk to. I'm just so very upset about this. I hope we can work it out.
#11 of 37 Old 09-12-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for serial posting. I just feel so stupid and embarrassed! I should have had him in for a weight check. He just felt and looked heavier! How could I have not seen it??
#12 of 37 Old 09-12-2011, 12:54 PM

I'm in the "I'm sure it's okay" camp. All the really important signs, he's got. He's just not gaining as fast as they'd like. You're doing your job! He's happy. He's adorable. *hug*

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#13 of 37 Old 09-12-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

So much for pumping. 10 minutes .... 1/4 ounces. Wugh.
#14 of 37 Old 09-12-2011, 01:32 PM

I'm right there with you in the worrying department.  I'm sure he is gaining enough weight.  It's so hard not being able to interpret their cries. 

DS has starting having green poops too.  They start off yellow in the am, then get greener as the day goes on.  There is no froth, but there is sometimes mucus.  I've been block feeding for weeks with no change.  I've read that newborn/infant poops can vary in color from yellow to green to brown and every color combination in between.  I'm just trying to go with it until my next LLL meeting.  I am seeing the pedi today for other concerns so I will ask him.

I'm frustrated and scared as well.  Hang in there momma.  One day @ a time

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#15 of 37 Old 09-12-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:

So much for pumping. 10 minutes .... 1/4 ounces. Wugh.

Pumping when stressed will do that to you, regardless of your supply.  Deep breaths.  Try again first thing in the morning when your breasts are most full.  And keep your chin up.  I'm in the everything's going to be ok camp as well.

Hugs, HB, too.  How long are your blocks?  I think 4-6 hour blocks are what I have to do for our issues.  Have you tried having a day boob and a night boob?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#16 of 37 Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 PM

((Hugs)) mama! I have been there. Twice. Twice weekly weight checks, trips to the lc to see how much they were eating, stress from the pedi to give them formula.... turns out, I just have slow gainers. Both boys took several months to gain any weight, were always in the 5th or below %... they had the right numbers of diapers, and were meeting milestones, etc., just didn't gain weight. They eventually caught up. Around 18 months for each of em... they each jumped in weight. Hang in there mama, you may just have a slow gainer!

Lisa ~ Wife to Stephen caffix.gif (5/23/04) ~ Mama to Lincoln Barneswave.gif (10/10/07), Gabriel Normanbabyf.gif(12/8/09)  and Ella Louisette baby.gif(8/14/2011)~ CMP angel.gif (12/8/08 at 8.6 weeks).

#17 of 37 Old 09-13-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisastrickland View Post

((Hugs)) mama! I have been there. Twice. Twice weekly weight checks, trips to the lc to see how much they were eating, stress from the pedi to give them formula.... turns out, I just have slow gainers. Both boys took several months to gain any weight, were always in the 5th or below %... they had the right numbers of diapers, and were meeting milestones, etc., just didn't gain weight. They eventually caught up. Around 18 months for each of em... they each jumped in weight. Hang in there mama, you may just have a slow gainer!

Same here! My babies are even born large, but then gain slow. Neither of my other two hit 20 lbs before their first birthdays. They always made enough diapers, hit all milestones and seemed generally happy. I guess some babies just grow on their own growth curves. I am so it is so stressful for you! I hope things are better soon. :-)

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#18 of 37 Old 09-13-2011, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

I'm right there with you in the worrying department.  I'm sure he is gaining enough weight.  It's so hard not being able to interpret their cries. 

DS has starting having green poops too.  They start off yellow in the am, then get greener as the day goes on.  There is no froth, but there is sometimes mucus.  I've been block feeding for weeks with no change.  I've read that newborn/infant poops can vary in color from yellow to green to brown and every color combination in between.  I'm just trying to go with it until my next LLL meeting.  I am seeing the pedi today for other concerns so I will ask him.

I'm frustrated and scared as well.  Hang in there momma.  One day @ a time

Yep - middle of the night poo was green, then this am is back to yellow. They are always yellow early and then the last one is usually very green. I just don't know what to make of it. He is so fussy in the evening and kicks around like he's in so much pain. I always worry that it's because he can't get enough milk but again the output has always been there.....but now the weight gain isn't. I am just wondering if food intolerance can cause weight gain issues. Block feeding for me doesn't work because my left side doesn't produce enough milk. He still nurses on it but it's never enough for a full feeding.
#19 of 37 Old 09-13-2011, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

My other two were slow gainers but they always (barely) made that lowest cut off of like 4 or 5 ounces per week. I think it took my son 3 weeks to get back to his birth weight. I was told to supplement with both of them, but only did it with my first and that only lasted a couple weeks. I went on to nurse them both for 3.5 years but it is such a struggle in the beginning. I just wish I had a weight in between so I knew if he dropped some. I'm throwing all this stuff around in my head - the green poops, the fuss, the fact he was weighed on a different scale, we don't know if he dropped more after that appointment.... I feel like my supply is ok but then I see him fussing at the boob and it scares me.
#20 of 37 Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemistryClass View Post

Same here! My babies are even born large, but then gain slow. Neither of my other two hit 20 lbs before their first birthdays. They always made enough diapers, hit all milestones and seemed generally happy. I guess some babies just grow on their own growth curves. I am so it is so stressful for you! I hope things are better soon. :-)

My 21 month old JUST hit 20 lbs... Hes starting to pack on the pounds now. My 4 year old hit 20 lbs around 20 months and then was 35 lbs by 27 months....

Lisa ~ Wife to Stephen caffix.gif (5/23/04) ~ Mama to Lincoln Barneswave.gif (10/10/07), Gabriel Normanbabyf.gif(12/8/09)  and Ella Louisette baby.gif(8/14/2011)~ CMP angel.gif (12/8/08 at 8.6 weeks).

#21 of 37 Old 09-13-2011, 10:06 AM

I'm sorry honey!

My bff had this same thing happen with her baby, as did my SIL (both born late spring) and they are still just slow gainers. As long as he continues his "curve" he may just BE that way! It doesn't always mean something is wrong, although it IS good to double check. Big huge hugs!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#22 of 37 Old 09-13-2011, 05:50 PM

Oh mama, no advice, just sad for you greensad.gif This has to be so tremendously stressful, and on top of PP hormones... I'd agree with others that it's possible he's just a slow gainer. From all of your beautiful FB photos, he looks very healthy and alert. Green poops are usually a sign of too MUCH milk, not not having enough. Anecdotally, when we were in the hospital with Martha, and I was so stressed, I used their super sweet medical grade pump. I only got 1 lousy ounce. At home I usually get 3 or 4 ounces! So even with the best pump, stress matters.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#23 of 37 Old 09-17-2011, 11:18 AM

Veggie: have you tried probiotics?  Like I stated in an earlier post DS' poops start out yellow in the am and then by evening, they are more green than yellow.  He had a little stomach bug for a few days so I put him on probiotics and it's seemed to help out with his poops.  It could be purely coincidence seeing we've hit the 6 week mark and my milk seems a little more stable but I'm going to stick with it for a bit.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#24 of 37 Old 09-17-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

So.

I decided to go to see a IBCLC. She works with Alison Hazelbaker (tongue tied author and creator of the finger feeder). He is tongue tied, has a seriously uncoordinated and dysfunctional suck, and only took it 1/2 ounce at the feeding. She said she was surprised he hadn't lost more. He was down 2 ounces. Beyond frustrated and SO so sad. He's had to have formula in the finger feeder. I didn't have ANY choice. I have been pumping around the clock but I am thrilled if I even get one ounce. She said my supply has probably suffered because he is just not able to get the milk out. He now is refusing the breast, at least the right side. My nipples are huge but even more huge now that I'm using the pump. She felt that was an issue too. He's just having a lot of trouble getting it out. So now I am using as much of my milk as possible, some formula, and trying to nurse when he's sleepy enough to take the boob without being upset. I feel like a damned idiot. The ONE time I don't freak out over supply. The one time I don't do constant weight checks. This is what happens? I'm so upset that he has to have any formula but right now there is just no other option. I see Alison Hazelbaker on Monday and hope to get him back on the breast more. Tuesday off to the dentist to hopefully get his tongue clipped. Besides the bottom, he also has a slight issue on top (not sure what?). Rented scale and pump. So worn out and sad. It's lucky if I get a bite to eat during the day. Every minute is spent either feeding him or pumping. Luckily I called the ped and told her what was going on and she agreed to just let me monitor his weight at home. Upped my dom to 160. If anyone has tips on how to get more out of the pump please help me! The only time ANY milk comes out is during a let down. I barely get an ounce and that's FORTY FIVE MINUTES OF PUMPING! Just got the SNS in the mail and will be using that as well. Some finger feeding, some SNS, and some nursing. Trying my best.
#25 of 37 Old 09-17-2011, 02:12 PM

NAK

I started zoloft in my third trimester and am still taking it and breastfeeding. Augustus has been growing like a weed. I would talk to your doctor before stopping. Very very small amounts make it into your breastmilk (if any at all) and there are a lot of other things that are more likely to be affecting his weight gain.

My second child has a cows milk protein intolerance that caused problems before I narrowed it down to dairy in my diet. She had green poop but I don't remember if there was mucous. She did have slow weight gain and a few severe diaper rashes. She still hasn't outgrown it (she's almost two) and she will still have weird poop and a rash if she gets ahold of anything with milk in it.

ETA: I didn't see your most recent post before I replied. Sorry mama! I haven't pumped in 7 years so I don't really have any advice.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#26 of 37 Old 09-17-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

nak- tamera i decided to stay on it. thx for the input!

i just pumped again and only got drops. at least hes up to 10.1 today but i guess its the formula. cry greensad.gif
#27 of 37 Old 09-17-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:

nak- tamera i decided to stay on it. thx for the input!

i just pumped again and only got drops. at least hes up to 10.1 today but i guess its the formula. cry greensad.gif

I'm very sorry if you've said and I missed it, but have you only used the one pump? Because that can make a HUGE difference.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#28 of 37 Old 09-17-2011, 04:02 PM

hug2.gif I know your heart is breaking, but I have to offer hugs.  You are such a good mama, and you will get thru this.

I dont know much about domperidone, but i had good results increasing pumping output with More Milk Plus tincture.  http://www.motherlove.com/product/530-More-Milk-Plus.html

#29 of 37 Old 09-17-2011, 05:13 PM

veggiemom---

i am so sorry this is going on for you. i totally know this particular heartache. greensad.gif   hug2.gif

i am a few weeks further down the road then you.....(nursing, pumping, fingerfeeding, herbs, etc, etc.).....and it truly does get easier, even though everything is still not exactly where i want it to be.

as for pumping, massaging the breasts before and during the pumping session, as well as compression, helped to boost my often pathetic output for the pump. i will also "powerpump" after y goes down for the night; pumping for 15 mins, resting for fifteen, pumping for fifteen, etc etc while i watch a movie or catch up on e-mail. also: if you are good at handexpressing, do that instead of or after pumping. i know that i allllllways have milk in my breasts after pumping. the pump just doesn't do it for me. that might be the case for you?

it will get easier! i know this is a crappy club to be a part of, but at least you aren't alone.

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

#30 of 37 Old 09-17-2011, 05:27 PM

So sorry for your heartache, from another SNS, formula, herb-using mama (too tired to pump)! Have you used the SNS before? It has a learning curve, so don't get discouraged too easily hug.gif And remember, unless your supply is zero, it's not all formula - every ounce you make counts! I hope as your LO gets stronger, tongue clipped, etc., you see your supply rebound hugely!

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page