Mothering Forum banner

Nursing Mamas Thread

1K views 35 replies 28 participants last post by  dfunk98 
#1 ·
Is anyone else still nursing? My little girl is 12 months old now, and still nursing day and night. She eats too, but not huge amounts. I plan to keep nursing, but am occasionally getting stressed how it will affect her if my milk drops. Has anyone been there done that and can offer some advice. Anyhow some of the other months had nursing mom's threads and I thought it was a great idea. So here we are!!

OMG PREGNANT!! I still can't believe it!!

#2 ·
My 31-month old DS is an avid nurser. He is older so he does not nurse as often as your little one.

For my own sanity and comfort during my last two pregnancies, I did slowly wean him back to 5-8 times a day. I am not ready to wean him off entirely, though. I think am up to tandem nursing if he is interested.

I would not worry too much for now. But, maybe begin introducing a variety of other high-fat foods; avocado, coconut oil, whole milk yogurt, egg yolks, butter, etc...

#3 ·
I'm here too. My 11 month old and my 3 year old are still nursing. This will be the third pregnancy I've nursed throughand three second one I've tademed through at least part way (ivy quit nursing half way through the last one). I think Kai will wean soon since he is down to a couple times a day if that.

#4 ·
I am still nursing DD who just turned 18 months old. She really only nurses before naps and before bed now. I will let her decide if she wants to continue nursing through my pregnancy or if she wants to wean. I am open to tandem nursing if she continues to nurse, but I will also understand if she decides to wean when/if my supply goes away.

I am very proud of us for making it as long as we have made it!

#5 ·
My nursling just turned eleven months and is still around the clock, including several evening sessions. All is great right now, but I have a feeling I'll night wean him toward the end of the pregnancy so I can hoard sleep.

#7 ·
My daughter is turning 3 on Saturday, and she still nurses several times a day and at naptime/bedtime. It will be interesting to see if she weans during this pg. I tandemed my DS and DD for 18 months, but their spacing was much closer.

smile.gif

#8 ·
I am so glad you started this thread! I am still nursing my 18 month old son quite a bit. Usually 5-7+ times a day. I'm sooo sad and scared about my milk drying up! Neither of us are ready to wean. I am also starting to feel quilty about cutting his 'babyhood' short by bring another baby into the mix. *sigh* Mama guilt! I am absolutely thrilled to be expecting again, though! We've been trying for a while. :)

#9 ·
Another thing I'm worried about: I have almost no body fat! Nursing has wasted me away to skin and bones and admittedly I haven't been the best about my diet. I'm going to need to step up my calories quite a bit. Are any other pregnant nursing mamas INSANELY thirsty all the time?

#12 ·
wow I'm jealous ya'll are still nursing!! Shane is only 5 months old and my milk has almost dried up due to my pregnancy. Luckily I have doner milk, so we wouldn't have to resort to formula. Wish I could still nurse though!!

What are ya'll doing to keep up your supply while preggers??

#13 ·
Hey, I'm joining you here. DD will be 2 in a few days and is still nursing pretty regularly (and waaayyyy too much at night if you ask me!). We're probably going to wean her soon, though, because it's been really draining me (not immediately, though, because we want to move first and let her settle in a bit). Especially with being pregnant now... I'm really impressed with those that have or are planning to tandem nurse! If DD were younger I think we'd try it but I'd like a bit of a break from nursing if possible.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hethir09 View Post

Another thing I'm worried about: I have almost no body fat! Nursing has wasted me away to skin and bones and admittedly I haven't been the best about my diet. I'm going to need to step up my calories quite a bit. Are any other pregnant nursing mamas INSANELY thirsty all the time?
Yes! I drink insane amounts of water too. My appetite is almost nothing at the moment and I've been losing weight (although I have enough padding that it's not a bad thing). It's been really hard to make myself eat anything (not really nausea just a total lack of interest in food).

#15 ·
I am currently tandem nursing my 22mo and 4yo sons. I am slowly and gently attempting to assist the weaning process with my 4yo, as my nipples get VERY sore while I am pregnant....he is really down to nursing for maybe 5 seconds every few days to go to sleep or when he wakes up in the morning for comfort, so I am thinking he will be done pretty soon...

My 22 mo though is still nursing a ton...I don't see him stopping any time soon :)

I also have a very hard time keeping weight on, while nursing, especially during the first few months of tandem nursing! So hard to eat enough to keep up with what was going out!

#16 ·
I am still nursing my 17 month old, and I've had another mama tell me that tandem nursing really helped with the transition to adding another little one to the family. For a while now I've been hoping my son would self wean during my pregnancy, now I'm not so sure. So I think we'll just take it one day at a time. He nurses a couple of times during the day, usually because I'm so busy I forget to feed my family (ulgh!) and nursing just makes life easier that way. Night nursing is something else, he nurses all night long and cries when I don't, even though we have the bad habit of eating just before bed. Sometimes I can get him to settle down and he'll roll over and go back to sleep. We moved in October and just before that I had him night weaned and still loved nursing during the day. Then we moved and all that work flew out the window. I had him night weaned so that we could get him to sleep in his own bed more - because when I was pregnant with him there was hardly room for myself and my dh in our queen size bed!

I'm finding this pregnancy I have a whole new set of concerns and questions than I did with my first!!

P.S. Yeah - I'm drinking tons of fluids and that corresponds with tons more trips to the bathroom! I'm finding that I'm not having the same level of morning sickness (general queasiness rather than all out vomiting from 5 am to 2pm every day) and I've read nursing during the first trimester can really help with that. If that's what's keeping me from having a month of misery like I did last time - here's to nursing!!

#17 ·
I am also still nursing my 18 month old. I am working on night weaning, but I just don't have the heart to deny her when she really wants milk, so I have not been very successful up until now. We nurse 5 or 6 times during the day and 1-3 times at night, depending on the night. If I could get us down to once at night, I think I could be happy with that.

#18 ·
Another nursing mama here. My DS is 8 months old and I'm so afraid of my supply drying up! After the shock of finding out we were expecting my first thought was weather I was going to be able to nurse my LO. Any hints, ideas or thoughts on keeping up milk supply would be greatly appreciated.

#19 ·
NWNewMom - I just bought the book Adventures in Tandem Breastfeeing.. I will read soon and share what I learn.

The three tips I've got from lots of internet reading is:

1) Lots of rest

2) Drink ALOT of water

3) Get enough protein

I'm making sure I drink lots, using SunWarrior protein powder once or twice a day, and napping with my 1 year old as often as possible. Also sometimes going to sleep when she does at night. I so want to keep my milk up for her. I didn't plan to get pregnant again until she was 2!

#20 ·
Awesome, I'm going to look into that book. I am really working on the water and protein mainly for the pregnancy, but I need to try harder to prioritize sleep! Thanks for the ideas so far. Crazy being pregnant again, huh! Congratulations to you. It's unexpected yet exciting at the same time.

#21 ·
Still nursing my 31 month old here. I'm losing my milk quite rapidly and so my little guy has cut down from four 20 minute sessions a day to two 5-10 minute.

I can tell he's not getting much and then he looks at me with a sad face and starts to cry. It has been very hard on him.

Not sure if I'm going to tandem nurse when the new baby comes. I'm thinking he will probably be completely weaned by then. If he shows interest, I may let him pick it back up.

Like PP said, tandem nursing is a great way to welcome a new member into the family!

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post
I can tell he's not getting much and then he looks at me with a sad face and starts to cry. It has been very hard on him.
I've wondered about my supply. The past day or so my son has been crying when he's done nursing. Today he's wanted to snuggle more than nurse.

#23 ·
I'm nursing my 11 month old son. He refuses milkies except except 4-6 times max during the day for the past 2 months. But, he gets a lot at that time.

I did notice he started nursing more the last few days, but is back to his normal pattern today. My supply is fine so far but I'm going to keep some mother's milk tea and keep him nursing as often as possible. I may get a pump session in per day. I also have a store of pumped milk, although not very much. We were planning on introducing goats milk slowly when he was a year to test his tolerance, so I may just introduce some high fat items like a PP mentioned.

#24 ·
I'm nursing my 2.5 yr old DS - several times a day and a couple times a night. My nipples are pretty sore, but I'm coping so far. Not sure if he'll wean during this pregnancy or not - I'm open to either possibility. I'm also proud of myself for not weaning in order to get pregnant. I felt some pressure to do that, but it wasn't right for me and I stuck with it.

#25 ·
Me! My dd is almost 4 months and I'm going to try to pump some to use when mine dries up. I'm also thinking about seeing if I can get some nursing mama friends to help. If I can just keep her going until the baby comes, I will really encourage her to nurse lots then.

#26 ·
Me! My DD is 15 months. I WOHM full time and recently night weaned (just before my very surprising BFP) so we only nurse twice a day. I really hope my supply will hold up; I really hope to be able to tandem nurse since 1) it's supposed to help with the transition of a new baby in the house and 2) it should help me drop even more weight faster than nursing one baby did :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.