prenatal vitamins? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 02-11-2011, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Right now im taking Buried Treasure Liquid Prenatals because Im having a hard time swallowing pills. I always have. http://www.amazon.com/Buried-Treasure-Prenatal-Complete-liquid/dp/B0014AY8MQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1297447303&sr=8-9 Im also taking 2 x 1000 IU vitamin D gummies by Rainbow light, and a chewable B complex by SolarRay. I also drink a smoothie every day with this stuff http://www.nowfoods.com/Products/ProductsbyCategory/Category/072978.htm?cat= called tru food vegan. Its a complete food based vegan protein and meal replacement powder. I always feel better after I have a smoothie.

Active self employed momma to my amazing son with down syndrome born 8/24/11, wife to the most amazing husband ever, expecting baby #2 on September 5th, 2012, exactly 1 year from my sons original due date. Currently sharing our crazy household with 1 house rabbit, 3 exotic lizards, 1 guinea pig...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 39 Old 02-11-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hethir09 View Post

Hey! I was just watching a really interesting discussion about prenatals and Folate VS. Folic Acid. It turns out that Folic Acid is a man made version of Folate and only around 50% of people can utilitize it in that form. I just bought a bottle of Rainbow Light (it was EXPENSIVE!) and during that conversation I learned that RL is inferior to New Chapter's prenatals. Apparently NC has Folate, NOT folic acid and has higher quality sources of vitamins. Here's a link to the blog post that began the discussion: http://guggiedaly.blogspot.com/2010/06/is-folic-acid-only-and-best-choice.html.

Good luck! I have sooo much to learn about this stuff! I was mainly just a bystander, watching the discussion but when I asked where I can learn more information about these people knew (the different vitamins and how our body uses them), no one had answers for me! Maybe someone on here will have more info.

Yup. Folic Acid is the synthetic form of the naturally-occurring Folate, and I found an article that links Folic Acid to breast cancer. I'm taking Dr. Fuhrman's Gentle Prenatal Vegan Dietary Supplement. This is the exact page I found, coincidentally before I was about to pop the prenatal vitamin I had gotten via prescription from my doctor into my mouth : http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/folic_acid_dangers_and_prenatal_vitamins.aspx

#33 of 39 Old 02-11-2011, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wow- I feel so guilty. I don't take any prenatals because all the ones I have tried have made me sick.

I also have allergies to wheat, soy, corn, dairy and yeast. Its very hard to find one without all of those.

I worry sometimes if my baby will have the proper nutrition, but I ate really healthy before I got pregnant. Since then, Ive been so sick I just eat what I can.

1st trimester will be over soon, and then I will go back on some sort of prenatal. Kudos to all of those who are taking the prenatals through the sickness.

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
#34 of 39 Old 02-11-2011, 02:08 PM

the ones I take are formed to specifically be gentle. I found out though that I need to break the capsule open(which they were designed to do already), and pour the contents into my water bottle, because the substance used to make the capsule feels like it gets stuck in my throat and stays there. I don't think my prenatals have any of those ingredients. As long as you're keeping up with your proteins and vitamins from veggies and fruits, and calcium and iron, I don't think you should be so worried. :) 

They're vary literally, as far as I know, exactly the ground-up sources of the vitamins and minerals in the break-apart capsules that you don't even need to use anyway. Listed under "Other Ingredients" is only Cellulose, magnesium stearate, and silica.

#35 of 39 Old 02-11-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Listed under "Other Ingredients" is only Cellulose, magnesium stearate, and silica.

Thanks for checking that out for me. Unfortunately, the cellulose is made from corn. I have to watch out for that stuff - it comes under so many different names!

I am getting some protein and veggies, but really have no appetite at all. The nausea is overwhelming at times - even just looking at food makes me sick!

This baby got tired of green smoothies really fast.

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
#36 of 39 Old 02-11-2011, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

FYI: Rainbow Light Prenatal Just Once do not contain dong quai.

____

P.S. It also contains digestive enzymes to help with GI stuff.

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
#37 of 39 Old 02-11-2011, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4latte View Post

____

Neither do the Petite minis either that are food based.  It DOES have Red Raspberry Leaf, which is good for pregnancy, ginger juice, which is a known anti nausea herb,  and spirulina.  It also has Lactobacillus at 25 million, which is a probiotic.

Here is the link to their ingredients:  http://www.rainbowlight.com/Categories.aspx?Category=bc5a36c4-6236-46af-9ba9-325206f52641

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#38 of 39 Old 02-12-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthylady View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4latte View Post

____

Neither do the Petite minis either that are food based.  It DOES have Red Raspberry Leaf, which is good for pregnancy, ginger juice, which is a known anti nausea herb,  and spirulina.  It also has Lactobacillus at 25 million, which is a probiotic.

Here is the link to their ingredients:  http://www.rainbowlight.com/Categories.aspx?Category=bc5a36c4-6236-46af-9ba9-325206f52641

Sorry if I started off a worrystorm!  I had been taking the regular Women's one-a-day, not the prenatal.  Since the poster before who had mentioned just continuing her Rainbow Light supplement didn't specify that she was taking the prenatal, I thought it was worth a mention.  However, I screwed up by not being clear about which one *I* was taking.  So for clarification, the regular women's vitamin does contain dong quai, the prenatal formulas do not.

Mom to Thora, born at home 9/28/2011. Currently in Madison, WI, but gearing up for a move to Providence, RI in August! I'd love to meet some folks.
#39 of 39 Old 02-12-2011, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Ah!  I got ya!  winky.gif  Thank you!  I was thinking maybe their formula had changed recently or something.  :)

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page