prenatal vitamins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 01-02-2011, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are you taking any prenatal vitamins? do you wait for the dr. to perscribe or do you get a natural over the counter version? just curious.

#2 of 39 Old 01-02-2011, 04:31 PM

I say start the prenatals as soon as possible wink1.gif   Esp. for the folic acid - 400 minimum, 800 preferred.  I just take the prenatal from Trader Joe's, and normally bring the bottle to any appt with a new care giver so they can check the levels of different things if they want to.

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#3 of 39 Old 01-02-2011, 05:33 PM

I'm still taking the huge bottle that I bought for my last pregnancy and during this lactation period.  I'm way too lax about remembering to take them, though.  Anyway, OTC for me.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#4 of 39 Old 01-02-2011, 07:04 PM

I took Solaray Baby Me Now capsules for the last 3 years, as I have been either pregnant, nursing, or both. I liked them, overall. But, I finally had had enough of taking FOUR (4) large capsules a day, plus my fish oil and calcium supplements. I am now taking Rainbow Light Just Once.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#5 of 39 Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 PM

I also take the Rainbow Light once daily prenatals.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#6 of 39 Old 01-02-2011, 09:02 PM

Hey! I was just watching a really interesting discussion about prenatals and Folate VS. Folic Acid. It turns out that Folic Acid is a man made version of Folate and only around 50% of people can utilitize it in that form. I just bought a bottle of Rainbow Light (it was EXPENSIVE!) and during that conversation I learned that RL is inferior to New Chapter's prenatals. Apparently NC has Folate, NOT folic acid and has higher quality sources of vitamins. Here's a link to the blog post that began the discussion: http://guggiedaly.blogspot.com/2010/06/is-folic-acid-only-and-best-choice.html.

Good luck! I have sooo much to learn about this stuff! I was mainly just a bystander, watching the discussion but when I asked where I can learn more information about these people knew (the different vitamins and how our body uses them), no one had answers for me! Maybe someone on here will have more info.

SilvanaRose likes this.
#7 of 39 Old 01-03-2011, 05:02 PM

I'm taking Rainbow Light One Day, but I'm taking it every other day.  I talked to the herbalist at the co-op today and she said that was fine considering all the leafy greens I eat.  I had to stop eating carrots because my palms and the bottoms of my feet were orange.  She said that I'm just more sensitive than others and that one every other day would probably be fine.  I was only eating one maybe two carrots a day, not juicing or anything.  I would take the New Chapter Prenatal's, but they have corn or soy, can't remember and I can't eat either of those.  I'm diabetic and just eat protein, fat and veggies.  I might need to add some beans and find other whole carbs to add to meals so that I don't get really hungry and then not gain weight like last time, though I'm taking insulin this time so I should be fine on the gaining weight part.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#8 of 39 Old 01-03-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsC View Post

I also take the Rainbow Light once daily prenatals.

Me too. smile.gif

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#9 of 39 Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 PM

I would start a prenatal asap. I am simply taking a multi though. The brand name is MegaFood. Awesome vitamins!!! 100 percent vegetarian, made from whole foods and can be taken on an empty stomach. I highly recommend.

BTW.....someone mentioned Trader Joes; I love TJ's! smile.gif

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#10 of 39 Old 01-04-2011, 09:02 AM

I'm taking SuperNutrition one-a-day prenatals. They're food-based and hypo-allergenic. The folic acid vs. folate issue concerns me, too, so I switched from Rainbow Light to SuperNutrition because these ones have folate. 

SAHM to DS (11/09) with a little girl coming in October stork-girl.gif familybed1.gif

#11 of 39 Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 AM

hmmm...I've taken Rainbow light through both of my previous pregnancies....hadn't really heard about the folate vs. folic acid debate but it makes sense.  I'll have to check out superNutrition as I think I only have a month left in my current bottle of Rainbow Light

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#12 of 39 Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 AM

im currently ttc and my Dr. told my to start taking prenatal vitamins with folic acid a month before we even started trying.  So i would start something as soon as u can. :)

#13 of 39 Old 01-07-2011, 02:13 PM

I've been takin a Trader's Joe's multivitamin that has folic acid, but I'm looking for a good whole food prenatal vitamin (hopefully one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg).

#14 of 39 Old 01-08-2011, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Food based vitamins are the easiest to digest.  i take the Rainbow Light Petite ones.  They aren't as big as their other prental food based vitamins, and you only take 3 instead of 6.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#15 of 39 Old 01-09-2011, 01:14 PM

I found folate at the co-op and take that every other day now when I don't take my prenatal.thumb.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#16 of 39 Old 01-09-2011, 02:24 PM

Since it is best to start prenatals before getting pregnant, I have been taking mine for around one year or so. I wanted to find one that I tolerated well before having to deal with an icky sick tummy-- so I use Rainbow Light Just Once Vitamin-- I hate having to take multiple ones like some require.

amazon.com link

I found mine at a local natural store, but I noticed our big chain store had them in the natural aisle too.

--Kelly

#17 of 39 Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 AM

I'm taking the rainbow light mulit+daily prenatals - they were on sale  :)

I started taking Thorne Labs prenatals when TTC, but wanted to switch to one with more calcium.

#18 of 39 Old 01-11-2011, 12:20 PM

I've been taking Rainbow Light prenatals for a few years--started before my DD was born, and then just continued because we were thinking of trying for baby #2.

#19 of 39 Old 01-20-2011, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm taking Rainbow Light Just Once and 5000 IU's of Vitamin D every other day. The Vitamin D is because I'm clinically deficient. Fun stuff.

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
#20 of 39 Old 01-21-2011, 09:51 AM

Just had an appt with my ND and she switched me back to the Thorne Lab prenatals, plus Cal Apatite calcium supplements.  Her reasons are that capsules are easier for your body to break down than tablets, the vitamin B levels are higher in the Thorne Labs one, and this particular formulation of calcium (MCHC) is the most easily absorbed.  So there you have it.  It comes out to the same number of pills as I was taking with the Rainbow Light anyway.

#21 of 39 Old 01-21-2011, 11:00 AM

Last month I thought I was pregnant because I was SO nauseated-- but in the end I figured out it was the Rainbow Light Prenatal Just Once I had started taking, thinking about ttc. I took it with the first two (and I'm sure should have kept taking it during the last three years of breastfeeding) and it was fine. Does anyone know what combination or amount of particular ingredients might be causing the nausea, so I can find a prenatal that'll work for me? I was taking it with food. Hmmmm.

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
#22 of 39 Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

food based vitamins are easier to digest than synthetic vitamins.  You could try the Rainbow Light Food Based prenatal Petites.  You take 3 smallish ( small compared to their 6 a day ones!) pills a day. 

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#23 of 39 Old 01-22-2011, 08:50 AM

I use SISU pre-natals.  I take 2 in the morning with breakfast with some OJ.  I'm also taking some acidophilus to help with digestion.

Love tocrochetsmilie.gifand have way to much yarn!   teapot2.GIF is always on at my place.  
Wife familybed1.gif, momma femalesling.GIF, teacher homeschool.gif and all that is inbetween to A b. 31/12/04,  W b. 27/10/06vbac.gif,  V b 17/01/09hbac.gif, and     G b. 09/09/11hbac.gif

#24 of 39 Old 01-22-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthylady View Post

food based vitamins are easier to digest than synthetic vitamins.  You could try the Rainbow Light Food Based prenatal Petites.  You take 3 smallish ( small compared to their 6 a day ones!) pills a day. 

Thank you! I just bought some food-based capsules (Garden of Life Vitamin Code raw prenatal) that you take 3/day, so we'll see how that goes. Good to have another recommendation in case it doesn't work out!

We homeschool.gif.
#25 of 39 Old 01-22-2011, 01:23 PM

Though I also just noticed that the Rainbow Light Prenatal One also says it is food-based. Bah.

We homeschool.gif.
#26 of 39 Old 01-22-2011, 02:56 PM

Before I got pregnant I was taking the Rainbow Light Women's One-a-Day and had planned to finish the bottle since it's huge and had ok amounts of everything.  I asked at the natural pharmacy, and a woman looked over the list of herbs and recommended I look up dong quai to make sure it's safe during pregnancy. It is NOT. Now, the dosage is low, but I stopped taking it the next day.  I'll buy a box of the New Chapter prenatals next week when they go on sale, but for now I'm just taking a folic acid/b12 supplement and a DHA supplement.

Mom to Thora, born at home 9/28/2011. Currently in Madison, WI, but gearing up for a move to Providence, RI in August! I'd love to meet some folks.
#27 of 39 Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 PM

I'm a little weird about my prenatals (and vitamins in general).  I have three different brands and I rotate them randomly day to day.  That way, if one of them has a little better type of this vitamin, or not quite enough of something else, then at least I should be getting the right things at least a few days of the week.  My DH thinks I'm nuts.

Erin
Married to my best friend joy.gif  Waiting patiently for our first baby  whistling.gif due on Aug. 28.

It's a energy.gif!
#28 of 39 Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 PM

I'm taking the New Chapter pre natales. I bought through Amazon with subscribe+save, having them delivered every 2 months.

#29 of 39 Old 02-11-2011, 08:31 AM

I was really happy with the multivitamin I was taking before pregnancy (Rainbow Light) and so I just added a folic acid supplement (and am now taking B6 and ginger root for the nausea as well). I found one that is derived entirely from organic lemon peel and it was not expensive.

#30 of 39 Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracecody View Post

I was really happy with the multivitamin I was taking before pregnancy (Rainbow Light) and so I just added a folic acid supplement (and am now taking B6 and ginger root for the nausea as well). I found one that is derived entirely from organic lemon peel and it was not expensive.

Be careful with those.  I was taking the Rainbow Light one-a-day before, but found out that the dong quai in the herbal blend isn't safe for pregnancy.  Rainbow light does make a prenatal, so you should check your bottle and make sure it's something you're comfortable taking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilleBethany View Post

I'm taking the New Chapter pre natales. I bought through Amazon with subscribe+save, having them delivered every 2 months.

I am too, but using the giganto trimester bottle delivered every 3 months!  I felt a little guilty not getting them from the awesome local store that helped me so much, but the price difference turned out to be about $35 for the big bottle.  Of course I noticed a few days ago that the herbal blend in these contains oats - fine for most, not for me :(  I'll probably switch when these run out and hope they don't do too much damage.

Mom to Thora, born at home 9/28/2011. Currently in Madison, WI, but gearing up for a move to Providence, RI in August! I'd love to meet some folks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page