Tight Pants and needed to hide pregnancy from work for as long as possible - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-06-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone else having this problem yet?  I am kind of annoyed.  I'm only 4 wks 1 day and the jeans I wear to work are getting tight because I am so bloated.  I need to hide this pregnancy as long as possible because I need this job to pay for our midwife.  I know they will probably replace me as soon as they find out.  I'm just a garden manager in an Ace Hardware and being pregnant during the busy months of summer won't suit them.  I just bought some hair bands today to help my pants last longer.  Just last month I was able to put yoga pants under them when it was really cold here, now I'm about to have to turn them in and wear my maternity pants.  Ack!!!!  I don't have money to buy a larger size.  They are so going to find out soon.  I'm just glad hubby just found a full time job.  They cut my hours this week because its so slow.  greensad.gif

Someone commiserate with me....

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#2 of 15 Old 01-06-2011, 01:58 PM

Yep, I'm in the same boat!  I am 4 wks 5 days and I already can't comfortably button the majority of my pants.  Luckily, I have a couple of pairs that are a size bigger so I am living in those for now (and sweatpants, but I can't wear those to work).  I know it's mostly bloat, not baby, but man have I grown!

Have you heard of Bella Bands?  I haven't tried one personally, but they're supposed to let you wear your regular pants unbuttoned and they hold them up.  I think I may be moving to that solution soon.

#3 of 15 Old 01-06-2011, 02:33 PM
L J

I have been pregnant pretty much for the past year straight, and to spite losing some weight last month, my uterus is still pretty pooched out. I wear the secret belly fit maternity pants (I have awesome thrift stores) and they seem to hide it better than the demi panel or regular jeans with a bella band. They just smooth everything out.

I don't have a job, but I would like to go back to work (waiting tables) if my doctor gives me the go ahead. I don't necessarily have to work, but when I don't we can just get by and that's about it. I would love to have an income until the baby is born, because there is no way we are going to be able to save any otherwise. We have insurance that will cover the pregnancy and birth if I do it in a hospital, but our co-pay is pretty high and as much as I will be seeing the doc, I know it will add up.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#4 of 15 Old 01-06-2011, 03:27 PM

Not noticing any bloat so far but I am planning on making a belly band this weekend, so my pants will last longer.  I love this blog that has many different tutorials for maternity wear.

http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/2010/03/maternity-sewing-tutorial-roundup.html

Radical student midwife and doula. Expecting our first lovebug 9/2011
#5 of 15 Old 01-06-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies ladies.

I just found a bella band on ebay.  Woohoo!  I'm excited!  It's less than $10.  thumb.gif  They look so comfy.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#6 of 15 Old 01-06-2011, 04:05 PM

DDCC...You may want to try going up a size in pants if you can find some cheap or borrow from a friend.  I wore a pair of jeans I had to work that were a size bigger than my normal size and a little stretchy from weeks 5-15, and I just looked like I was gaining weight (a lot of weight, I got big early).  When I finally told people I was pregnant, they all said, "I just thought you were getting fat."  No one wants people to think they are gaining weight, but it is better than getting fired.

#7 of 15 Old 01-06-2011, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelungeonMW View Post

Not noticing any bloat so far but I am planning on making a belly band this weekend, so my pants will last longer.  I love this blog that has many different tutorials for maternity wear.

http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/2010/03/maternity-sewing-tutorial-roundup.html

Wow, I'm totally making one or two tomorrow!!!!  What a great website!!!!  Thank you!!!thumb.gif

#8 of 15 Old 01-07-2011, 07:52 AM

Awesome!!! Thanks for the link. Time to dig out the sewing machine!!

joy.gif my two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011. winner.jpg

#9 of 15 Old 01-07-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

I think I need different fabric or bigger belly.  lol.gif  I am totally not going to be able to hide my belly.  Somebody is going to rat me out or ask my by Monday.  Guaranteed.  Blah.

I used some cotton knit and its just way too stretchy and thick (it was supposed to be for piquito pants, which I never made for my ds lol.gif).

#10 of 15 Old 01-08-2011, 05:45 AM

If I were your work, I probably wouldn't think pregnancy first. I would think "Is she gaining weight?" Not to mention, I would NEVER assume a woman was pregnant much less ask her about it unless it was seriously obvious. Unfortunately most people are tactless, good luck avoiding your workers!

My tummy is already "bloating" which is a good term because there is no way a baby the size of rice is making my pants tight!

Trying for #3  I am breaking out as a motivational speaker, dream coach and inspired blogger!
blogging.jpg to help inspire people to achieve their dreams, check me out!
#11 of 15 Old 01-08-2011, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asprague View Post

If I were your work, I probably wouldn't think pregnancy first. I would think "Is she gaining weight?" Not to mention, I would NEVER assume a woman was pregnant much less ask her about it unless it was seriously obvious. Unfortunately most people are tactless, good luck avoiding your workers!

My tummy is already "bloating" which is a good term because there is no way a baby the size of rice is making my pants tight!

The thing is they all know I'm doing P90X (I meant was) and me gaining weight would be kind of weird, but I did tell the manager I was back on insulin because I over did it at Christmas, which is true and the insulin does result in weight gain, so I might be safe for a little while until they realize my stomach is the only thing getting bigger.lol.gif  Yes, there are two tactless people I work with.  I avoid them like the plaque.

Mines the size of a poppy seed so I'm just surprised again that I am so bloated already, but it happened with the last two pregnancies, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

#12 of 15 Old 01-15-2011, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

DDC crashing - sorry - but is it legal to fire you because you are pregnant? Surely, at this stage your pregnancy will not affect your job performance?

#13 of 15 Old 01-15-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Curious View Post

DDC crashing - sorry - but is it legal to fire you because you are pregnant? Surely, at this stage your pregnancy will not affect your job performance?

Also crashing, but I have to say that just because it's illegal to fire someone for being pg, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  Particuarly in an "employment at will" state, they can fire you for pretty much anything else.  I worked somewhere that pregnancy was really discriminated against by one head honcho in particular, and he just happened to be the guy in charge of and micromanaging everything and everyone in the company.  He was great about hiding it behind something else.  Oh, you are pg?  Ok, we will send out regional manager for a surprise inspection.  Oh, you didn't vacuum behind the fridge in the break room 10 minutes before he showed up?  Huh, the place is filthy, turn in your key. 

Anyway, yeah, I have had to hide a pg too.  Are you allowed to wear sweaters?  I was able to hide mine for like 5 months by wearing thick heavy sweaters.  I wore them all the time anyway, but it is winter so even if you have never worn them before it shouldn't draw too much attention.

#14 of 15 Old 01-15-2011, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post

Quote:

Anyway, yeah, I have had to hide a pg too.  Are you allowed to wear sweaters?  I was able to hide mine for like 5 months by wearing thick heavy sweaters.  I wore them all the time anyway, but it is winter so even if you have never worn them before it shouldn't draw too much attention.

More crashing.
Yup, sweaters and try to slouch a lot. I think I was past 7 mos before I said  anything at work with my last pg. They might well have been talking behind my back but no one (mostly male coworkers) had the guts to ask!  I wasn't scared for my job though, just didn't want to hear all of those annoying comments until it was unavoidable.

#15 of 15 Old 01-16-2011, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

I think I'll be fine.  I really don't want to slouch, I've been trying to get that corrected and the relaxin last time made me slouch even more to the point it was pronounced, so I'm watching out for that this time.  If they let me go is ok, I'm trying to find a job closer to home anyway.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page