Does nursing help your nausea? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Does nursing decrease your nausea?
Absolutely! 1 20.00%
Somewhat. 0 0%
Not sure. 1 20.00%
Not really. 0 0%
Nursing makes it worse. 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I heard nursing was supposed to decrease nausea. Has this worked for anyone?

I don't notice an improvement when I nurse. Actually, it's quite the opposite!

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thanks for this post - I've been wondering the same thing!

I've noticed a big difference this pregnancy from my last. Stress levels are about the same so the only noticeable difference is that I'm nursing. I get queasy periodically throughout the day which is vastly different from the morning sickness I had with my first.  I couldn't brush my teeth, I tried all the natural remedies, and every suggestion I could get my hands on, but I was still vomiting from the moment I woke up until about noon and then majorly queasy all evening. I ended up taking Zofran just to keep me out of the hospital hooked up to an IV. I lost 10 pounds in one month.

That being said my mom said she was sick with me for roughly 3 weeks and sick with my sister for 3 days. She wasn't nursing me when she was pregnant with my sister, so I know that wasn't a factor. Each pregnancy is different, so it's hard to say what has caused the difference, but I'm not about to wean just to find out!

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I didn't respond to the poll, because I am only 4-5 weeks, and I distinctly remember not having *any* symptoms at all until about 6 weeks.  At which point I wished I were dead for the next 2 months or so.  I am still nursing, and this time around all I feel is tired, but I am bracing for the change I am sure will come in a week or so.  Maybe not, I hope nursing helps!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Tonight I've felt like I'm on the verge of the same morning sickness I had with my first. Not fun. What I have noticed is that the nausea does let up when I nurse. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the release of oxytocin while breastfeeding.

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure.  I didn't have much morning sickness with DD so I'm probably a bad example.  This time I've barely had any (maybe once a day for less than an hour just a handful of times).  Normally chocolate seems to solve it, though. whistling.gif

I should say that this time, though, I've had almost no appetite whereas last time I was an eating machine.  I've also only lost weight thus far whereas last time I gained a bunch even in my first trimester.  I'm pretty sure that's from nursing simply because I can't seem to keep up with the number of calories I need!

User Tag List