Chat Thread 1/10 - 1/16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thought I would start another chat thread.  I just want to chat I guess. lol.gif

I had issues with my goat this morning and had to chase him and my intestines really didn't like that.  We're getting ready to sell him after our doe kids, because really, he's just a chow hound and I don't have time to shear him or spin his mohair.  He is an Angora wether (fixed male) and I don't have time for him.  I really want to just have a couple milking does.  I'm really hoping our doe has a female and then we'll be set. 

Anyway, so I have to work from 4-8 tonight and last night I was so bloated after dinner that there is no way I'm going to be able to hide this pregnancy.  We'll see what happens.  Looks like I'm working with my boss for two hours tonight and then two hours with someone else.  This will be fun.  I'm hoping to find another part time job soon.  I want something closer to home anyway.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#2 of 37 Old 01-10-2011, 09:36 AM

When is your doe going to kid? Exciting!

I have 7 Australorps hens. It snowed here and they're cracking me up -- they won't go into the snow even for a treat! Crazy girls!

orngbiggrin.gif

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#3 of 37 Old 01-10-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. B. Sprout View Post

When is your doe going to kid? Exciting!

I have 7 Australorps hens. It snowed here and they're cracking me up -- they won't go into the snow even for a treat! Crazy girls!

orngbiggrin.gif

Any day now.  I'm hoping she waits until after this snow storm.  She started bagging up last week, so it should be by this week sometime. 

Yeah, our hens were so upset when dh made them all go out so he could clean the coop and it hadn't even started snowing yet.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#4 of 37 Old 01-10-2011, 01:14 PM

We've got an angora doe and a pygmy buck over here! Just bought them at the beginning of december. There's a very good chance that she's pregnant (by another angora from before we bought her, not our pygmy) and will kid sometime in March.  We're still learning the ropes with ours, but they're really sweet and a lot of fun.  It's been so wet here that we've been fighting off foot rot in the angora, and trying to get their hooves properly trimmed.  It's a bit intimidating! Luckily it's just one foot that's been bothering her, and we noticed and treated right away.  

#5 of 37 Old 01-10-2011, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

I was surprised it didn't rain more here this last fall.  I thought we'd totally be fighting hoof issues, but it was more of a drought.  I loved Angora's when I was breeding them.  My wether is from one of the does that I had and he was the tamest of the bunch besides the buck.

#6 of 37 Old 01-10-2011, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and I got really lucky tonight.  My boss called and said they were closing the store early and I didn't need to come in because of the snow storm.  Yay!!!!  I am so bloated though, its really going to be tough to hide.  Next time I work an 8 hour shift and no less with the big mouth, I know she will notice and say something.  I should take a picture and post it.  At least less bloated in the am.

#7 of 37 Old 01-10-2011, 04:23 PM

Wow, I know absolutely nothing about farming issues but I can relate to hiding your pregnancy.  I'm still not sure what to do because I will be starting a new job soon (not sure when the pay will kick in from them vs. my old job, long story) so they'll probably find out I'm pregnant while I'm working there but before I have a contract.  Plus, it looks like there's no set maternity leave (I work in a very, very male dominated field) so this is going to be tricky! 

#8 of 37 Old 01-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Physmom, I hope the job issues work out for you. I was practicing law when my first two were born, so I understand the stress of the work thing to some extent. hug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by physmom View Post

Wow, I know absolutely nothing about farming issues but I can relate to hiding your pregnancy.  I'm still not sure what to do because I will be starting a new job soon (not sure when the pay will kick in from them vs. my old job, long story) so they'll probably find out I'm pregnant while I'm working there but before I have a contract.  Plus, it looks like there's no set maternity leave (I work in a very, very male dominated field) so this is going to be tricky! 

#9 of 37 Old 01-10-2011, 05:40 PM

FarmerCathy and Physmom, sorry you ladies are dealing with job insecurity issues because of pregnancy.  That's really upsetting.  I thought that it was illegal to discriminate on that basis, but I guess there are a million ways around that that can't technically be proven.  Any hope for wearing baggier clothes or something to disguise it a bit longer?

#10 of 37 Old 01-10-2011, 07:15 PM

That does suck that you have to worry about your jobs :(  Quite unfair!  I am not worried at all with my teaching jobs, but one of my jobs is that I am a professional dancer and the spring season for the dance company is planned for the end of March (I'll be about 18 weeks)...the last two pregnancies I performed until I was 26 weeks, but I have this feeling I am going to show much sooner this time :( so I am not sure what is going to happen....I haven't told them yet.....

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#11 of 37 Old 01-11-2011, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieMama View Post

FarmerCathy and Physmom, sorry you ladies are dealing with job insecurity issues because of pregnancy.  That's really upsetting.  I thought that it was illegal to discriminate on that basis, but I guess there are a million ways around that that can't technically be proven.  Any hope for wearing baggier clothes or something to disguise it a bit longer?

Yeah, they can basically not give a reason for letting you go at any time.  I did take a couple pics though.  lol.gif  I have a set uniform and can't really where a baggy sweatshirt over it, I work retail.

4wks 5 days bare belly     

4wks 5 days covered belly

I tried to make sure I wasn't pushing my belly out for these pictures.  My stomach was basically flat before this after doing Ab Ripper X with the P90X program. 

#12 of 37 Old 01-11-2011, 06:10 AM

Cathy, I think you can still "pass," but wow, if your tummy was flat before, that is a dramatic difference!

I had to go rooting around in the maternity clothes myself yesterday...  No "tummy" per se, the bloating and thickening is just starting, and I knew I'd tucked a pair of normal jeans a size up from when I lost the baby weight in there.  They're a little loose in legs and butt, but feel great on my tummy!  I bet I'll be back to belly bands with them in a week or two thoughorngtongue.gif  I think it makes sense - with my first, it took a while for me to have a real bump that anyone besides me and my husband noticed, but I felt pretty thick in the waist by 12 weeks and wore maternity jeans to feel comfortable - and everyone says about a month earlier for subsequent pregnancies, right?  I'm about 6.5 weeks right now.

I'm not worried about being fired over the pregnancy (and I'm so sorry for those of you who are, that sucks!!), but I'm a little worried about gossip and speculation.  I want a chance to get the news out there with the plan for post-baby first...  But I want time to feel reasonably certain that baby's doing okay in there first!

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#13 of 37 Old 01-11-2011, 06:19 AM

For me it's a bit of a complicated situation.  We're moving abroad so we don't know what all the discrimination laws entail.  Also the job I will have is a two year position that can be extended for two additional years (but only one year at a time) so I need to make a good impression to get those two additional years.  Also, I would like to get a professorship there eventually so I need everyone there to like me to do that... So until we figure out the laws and have some sort of plan in place we don't really want to announce my pregnancy.  The good thing is, though, that they haven't seen me in person yet AND I've lost weight recently (if they've seen pictures) so I'm hoping that will help. 

On the other hand, I've seemed to swollen up over night (I'm two pounds heavier today than yesterday!) and my stomach is hard as a rock.  I even got a comment yesterday from another parent I see around at the playgrounds about how I "look different".  So I'm worried that I'm showing earlier than I expected. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieMama View Post

#14 of 37 Old 01-11-2011, 07:16 AM

Goodness, physmom, that sounds stressful!

FarmerCathy, you're cute as a button!

Good job vibes to both of you!! goodvibes.gif

#15 of 37 Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 AM

Hi Everyone!

I don't know if I'm going to be around for sure or not, but it is looking like it.  Symptoms here and there...a faint line on two tests.  But, maybe it was a fluke.  I am waiting until Friday and then I will test again.  I have a 3 month old, so this is fairly unexpected.  Not unwelcome, but overwhelming and unexpected.  So, even though I am a SAHM, I am worried about work, too.  My kids are 5, 3, 1, and 3 months.  I hope I have the energy for this, lol.

Seriously, though...sorry to those who are worried about work.  That is just so ridiculously stressful. 

And...I have to say...I was thrilled to open this up and start reading about goats.  That totally made my day!  If I really am pg, I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#16 of 37 Old 01-11-2011, 12:48 PM

Just1more... that's crazy!!  I have one 2.5yr old and I am stressing big time.  You've got courage hahah :)

Sorry to hear about everyones jobs :(  I am a stay at home mom, so we're constantly struggling with DH's job -_-

SAHM Amber 24      DH Chris 26     DS Aiden  3  BFP for Christmas!!   25****30****35baby.gif***40!! 8/30 It's a stork-girl.gif

#17 of 37 Old 01-11-2011, 03:24 PM

So sorry to hear about the job stress, I hope it all works out for each of you.

Cathy- perhaps its from bloating or gas - I seem to be suffering from both.  So, I think its reasonable to pass it off as such, because it's too soon to be "showing" right?

#18 of 37 Old 01-11-2011, 03:27 PM

Just 1More - Wow!  Hopefully they all take naps still?  or quiet reading time for the oldest so that you can get in a nap while the smaller ones sleep - this is what I'm doing with my two because by mid-day I just NEED a nap. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post

Hi Everyone!

I don't know if I'm going to be around for sure or not, but it is looking like it.  Symptoms here and there...a faint line on two tests.  But, maybe it was a fluke.  I am waiting until Friday and then I will test again.  I have a 3 month old, so this is fairly unexpected.  Not unwelcome, but overwhelming and unexpected.  So, even though I am a SAHM, I am worried about work, too.  My kids are 5, 3, 1, and 3 months.  I hope I have the energy for this, lol.

Seriously, though...sorry to those who are worried about work.  That is just so ridiculously stressful. 

And...I have to say...I was thrilled to open this up and start reading about goats.  That totally made my day!  If I really am pg, I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

#19 of 37 Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. B. Sprout View Post

FarmerCathy, you're cute as a button!

Good job vibes to both of you!! goodvibes.gif

Aw.  Thanks!  I was trying not to look like too much of a dork and I hadn't brushed my hair for awhile.  Snow storm was keeping us in and I was getting ready for bed. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post

And...I have to say...I was thrilled to open this up and start reading about goats.

thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2b4 View Post

Cathy- perhaps its from bloating or gas - I seem to be suffering from both.  So, I think its reasonable to pass it off as such, because it's too soon to be "showing" right?

Yeah, its just bloating and gas, but man I was hoping since I had been working on my abs that I wouldn't show so fast.  Ah well.  Hubby said I can quit anytime, but we really need the money until I can find a job closer to home, hopefully seasonal garden or nursery job. 

#20 of 37 Old 01-12-2011, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

My bb's really are sore today and I had a little bit of lower back soreness.  I bought a belly band tonight because I go back to work after not being there since Sunday.  They closed early due to a storm on Monday so I didn't have to work.  I work with the big mouth tomorrow, so I'm hoping the belly band will help me not show so much and tip her off. 

I feel really good today otherwise, especially after my workout.  I think I really needed that.  I'm hoping to get on the elliptical trainer tomorrow, hoping the wind isn't blowing (its in the carport, it was free and we don't have room in our house).  I'm hoping the goat doesn't kid until Friday or Sat. morning, I'd hate to leave dh home by himself with the goat kidding.  We'll see how it goes.  Sat. will be two weeks since she started bagging up.  Can't wait to see what she has.

How's everyone else doing?

#21 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 05:30 AM

I'm NOT pregnant!  I took an ept digital test (instead of equate), and it said NO.  In fact, I did two of them!  I would have been thankful for another baby, but I am also thankful that it's not coming yet.  I had so many plans right now....stuff like getting back in shape before I had another baby!  So...here's to continuing my postpartum recovery!

Happy and healthly pregnancies to the rest of you!

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#22 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 AM

Wow, Just1More, what a rollercoaster for you!! I'm glad you are at peace with the result. Enjoy your little baby!! orngbiggrin.gif

#23 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 06:58 AM

Can't wait to hear how the belly band  works!  And the goat!!!  :)

Liz 27 - Happily married for 8 years! Mom to three awesome boys ages 7 and 6 and 1

#24 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 AM

Do goats in kid have the same risks as sheep?

I was supposed to be doing a course that included shearing when I came up preg the first time (miscarried). They dropped me as lambing is dangerous to the pregnant woman yikes2.gif

an english site but... http://www.countrydoctor.co.uk/education/Education%20-%20Pregant%20women%20and%20lambing.htm

I have no idea - just thinking they're vaugely similar animals. Wouldnt want anything nasty to happen. :( I'm sure you guys have looked into it already though thumb.gif

Well my morning sickness hit me this morning... alllllll day! No actual... you know, just nausea. Blurghhh I feel rotten ROTFLMAO.gif

#25 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 AM

Apropos of nothing, I am relieved and encouraged to see that an October 2011 Due Date Club has been opened!

#26 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 08:44 AM

Oh man, the sore bb's kicked in last night.  Boo! That was the the symptom I had with ds that prompted me to test. So, it's good in the sense that having symptoms is the only thing that makes me feel pregnant at this point, but ouch! Oh and I started to gag in the produce department when I walked past the onions a few days ago.  That one actually made me laugh though, as I wasn't expecting it:)

#27 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 09:13 AM

This post made me miss our girls! (chickens) We had 6 when we were living down south but had to move north to get financially more secure.  And they hated the few times we got snow as well, we have hilarious pics of them hiding in the coop!

Well I'm only just shy of 4 weeks with #5 (I got a positive at 8dpo...apparently I produce high amts of HCG) and so far my only symptom is thirst and hunger.  I'm still nursing my 1yo and was nursing my 15 month old when pregnant with #4 so I distinctly remember being really hungry the first couple weeks.  This pregnancy is the result of too much fun on NYE so we're just taking the news one day at a time right now.

Looking forward to getting to know you ladies!

p.s. hopefully I'll be able to add a signature once I've been on for a week?? 

IBCLC, student midwife, and co-sleeping, delayed/no vax, extended breastfeeding, homeschooling Momma to M(8), A(6), R(4)vbac.gifafter 2 c/s, J(2) hbac.gifand M (09/11)nocirc.gif

#28 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 AM

And Cathy I'm sure it's just bloating!  Did you show early with your first?

IBCLC, student midwife, and co-sleeping, delayed/no vax, extended breastfeeding, homeschooling Momma to M(8), A(6), R(4)vbac.gifafter 2 c/s, J(2) hbac.gifand M (09/11)nocirc.gif

#29 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 09:57 AM

Looking forward to getting to know you, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleypLC View Post
p.s. hopefully I'll be able to add a signature once I've been on for a week?? 

You should be able to create a signature at any time. http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/signatures

To edit (or create) your signature go to your profile in the "My Profile" tab and the scroll alll the way down way below albums and everything. There at the very bottom is where you edit your signature.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#30 of 37 Old 01-13-2011, 10:53 AM

Thanks Charlotte!  Believe me, I've tried...I have my albums, my lists, then nothing...shrug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page