Hello - new - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone!

I just found out last night (then confirmed this morning that I'm pregnant. I'm due September 19th. This will be my second child. How soon did you all go to the doctor? It seems like so many of the pre-natal appointments are unnecessary. Thoughts?

And by the way, how do y'all make those fun signatures?

I'm happy to join other September mommies. smile.gif

Dana
#2 of 9 Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 AM

Congratulations and welcome!

I'm not calling my midwife until I'm around 8 weeks, and I don't plan on being seen until I'm around 10 weeks.

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

#3 of 9 Old 01-11-2011, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My midwife usually doesn't see me until I'm about 10 weeks.

She just said to make sure I'm taking prenatals with at least 800mcg of folic acid.

I don't think early appointments are necessary, unless you have any particular concerns.

edited: mcg not mg

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#4 of 9 Old 01-12-2011, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations!  I agree that most of the prenatal appointments seem unnecessary.  Especially if you are going for as natural of a pregnancy as possible and forgoing most tests. 

In my first pg, I did all the medical stuff, had my first exam at 5 weeks, including pap, then went every 4 weeks starting at 12 weeks, had most of the tests done, including u/s...but by the end of pregnancy I was starting to learn more and denied the GBS test, which I got hounded on repeatedly asking me to take it everytime I was seen thereafter.  Ended up with a c-section w/o trial of labor just because baby was breech.

Pg #2, I interviewed Obs and mw's and finally met my delivering mw at 20 weeks pg and had my first appointment with her.  We met in her home, she did a pee strip, measured my belly, felt around with her hands on my belly, and listened to the heartbeat.  I met with her about 3 more times before delivery.  For us, it was about establishing a relationship with each other.  (homebirth)

Pg #3, I used the same mw, so our relationship was already established.  I heard baby's hearbeat for the first time with a stethoscope at 27 weeks.  I met with the mw in her home twice before delivery. 

The important factor was that I was already doing everything like taking prenatals, eating healthy, exercising, etc and had no history of problems in pregnancy, and my mw trusted me that if there was a problem, I'd let her know.  She knew I was educated and she was confident in my abilities to have a healthy pregnancy.

Sadly, I've moved 700 miles from my mw and have to start all over again.  :(  I know I'll probably never get to have that same kind of lenience again. 

Anyway, who you have as your care provider, will make a huge difference as to how your prenatal appointments will look and how often you get seen.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#5 of 9 Old 01-12-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm moving in the middle of this pregnancy so I'll have to search twice. Boo! Thanks for the info!
#6 of 9 Old 01-12-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaAsheri View Post

Thanks! I'm moving in the middle of this pregnancy so I'll have to search twice. Boo! Thanks for the info!

Me too! We're moving when I'll be about 5 months--when are you moving?

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#7 of 9 Old 01-13-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Hi!

We'll be moving when I'm about 4-5 months. Where are you moving to? We're moving to France.
#8 of 9 Old 01-14-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaAsheri View Post

Hi!

We'll be moving when I'm about 4-5 months. Where are you moving to? We're moving to France.

Not as far as you! We're just moving states--Missouri it seems. But, I'm still holding out that we will stay here until after the babe is born. Wishful thinking, perhaps. 

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#9 of 9 Old 01-15-2011, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Ah. I was hoping we'd be leaving for France soon enough but now there have been some kinks. I may end up being here until after the birth. It seems we have opposite hopes. smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page