When are you telling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-16-2011, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A few questions to answer my curiosity:

1. When are you telling people about your pregnancy? Will anyone special be the first to know? Any creative ideas?

2. Will you be finding out the gender at 20 weeks?

3. Will you tell people the name of your baby before its birth?

I feel like these are always the questions I ask preggo moms, so I thought it would be fun to know more about each other.

1. I am not sure yet when we will tell people. This was a planned pregnancy but it will be our third and it might not be a favored decision among our family. The first to know will be my adoptive parents, as they are very supportive.

2. This will be our first pregnancy that we will wait  to find out the gender!

3. We NEVER tell the name before the birth, just to keep other's opinions out of our heads. It will be different not know whether it is a boy or girl though!

Trying for #3  I am breaking out as a motivational speaker, dream coach and inspired blogger!
blogging.jpg to help inspire people to achieve their dreams, check me out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 01-16-2011, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

1. We told our parents and siblings immediately (we started phone calling as soon as we saw the positive). My BIL's family found out as they would have had to lie about something not to tell them so I gave them the go ahead. Close friends we told at about 6 weeks. General people in our lives won't know until more like 12 weeks.

2. Nope.. no scans last time and same this time unless really needed.

3. We told people our favourites last time, but kept open that it had to match the baby and might change.

#3 of 23 Old 01-16-2011, 04:28 PM

The people around us know because I look pregnant, and I told my mom because I couldn't wait...  My husband wants to wait to tell his family and our friends back home (we moved 1.5 years ago) until he has fully accepted the fact that we're having a baby (so, maybe when I go into labor).  I did want to wait until 12 weeks or so anyway though for his parents :)

As far as gender, I don't want to know unless there's more than one in there..  In that case we might want to plan a little bit more dizzy.gif

With the name, it doesn't bother me if people know but so far we haven't talked about it (another one of those acknowledging the pregnancy things).  When we have some ideas we'll share them with the kids and our family/friends.

mischievous.gif
#4 of 23 Old 01-16-2011, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

I have a cousin that waited until three months to tell her mother (she was living overseas at the time) and her mother was really upset to have been left out. I think she was just afraid though if something went wrong.

My reasoning is that if something went wrong my closest friends and family would know... so I tell them. I might feel differently though if I had been through many loses so can't say that would apply to everyone.

#5 of 23 Old 01-16-2011, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemamato View Post

The people around us know because I look pregnant, and I told my mom because I couldn't wait...  My husband wants to wait to tell his family and our friends back home (we moved 1.5 years ago) until he has fully accepted the fact that we're having a baby (so, maybe when I go into labor).  I did want to wait until 12 weeks or so anyway though for his parents :)

As far as gender, I don't want to know unless there's more than one in there..  In that case we might want to plan a little bit more dizzy.gif

With the name, it doesn't bother me if people know but so far we haven't talked about it (another one of those acknowledging the pregnancy things).  When we have some ideas we'll share them with the kids and our family/friends.

I can't believe he is in denial! Hilarious!

I am super excited and I am not sure how long I will hold out before telling someone. I am also excited to keep the gender a secret til the end, but man that is going to be hard for the planner in me! We just got rid of all of our kiddos old baby clothes too!

We are in an agreement about the girl name, but we can't decide on a boy name. He likes Alexander but I don't because it has been in the top of the popularity lists lately. I like a little bit less popular names. And he won't let me pick a name from Harry Potter! That would be hilarious "Harry Potter Sprague" or "Albus Dumbledore Sprague" how about Hagrid? Ha Ha, I love teasing him, he thinks I am serious!

Trying for #3  I am breaking out as a motivational speaker, dream coach and inspired blogger!
blogging.jpg to help inspire people to achieve their dreams, check me out!
#6 of 23 Old 01-16-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asprague View Post

And he won't let me pick a name from Harry Potter! That would be hilarious "Harry Potter Sprague" or "Albus Dumbledore Sprague" how about Hagrid? Ha Ha, I love teasing him, he thinks I am serious!

That is hilarious! I wish I had thought of that! My husband hates Harry Potter and sometimes I like to push his buttons (all in fun) pinktongue.gif

Since this is our first we've already told everyone... We waited to tell friends untill we saw the MW.. I just couldn't keep it a secret it's too happy!

Wife to DH superhero.gif, Tandem Nursing SAHMfly-by-nursing2.gif to  diaper.gifDS1 9/2011 and babyboy.gif DS2 9/2012

#7 of 23 Old 01-16-2011, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

1. When are you telling people about your pregnancy? Will anyone special be the first to know? Any creative ideas? Everyone already knows except hubby's Grandma.  We always tell right away, as in the same day we find out.  winky.gif  To tell hubby, I baked a cake and wrote on it, Baby bean due @ Sept 15, 2011 and served it as dessert after dinner the day I got a BFP.  For hubby's Grandma, I have a t shirt to put on the 2 year old that says I'm a Big Sister.  We've not told her yet because she's unsupportive of us having more children and I figure I'll send hubby over to her house one day with the kids and then I won't have to hear her comments.  LOL

2. Will you be finding out the gender at 20 weeks?  No.  We don't do ultrasounds at all.

3. Will you tell people the name of your baby before its birth? Yes, we'll tell prospective names., we'YesY Y  

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#8 of 23 Old 01-16-2011, 07:38 PM

1. When are you telling people about your pregnancy? Will anyone special be the first to know? Any creative ideas?

I feel like these are always the questions I ask preggo moms, so I thought it would be fun to know more about each other.

1. I am not sure yet when we will tell people. This was a planned pregnancy but it will be our third and it might not be a favored decision among our family. The first to know will be my adoptive parents, as they are very supportive.

2. This will be our first pregnancy that we will wait  to find out the gender!

3. We NEVER tell the name before the birth, just to keep other's opinions out of our heads. It will be different not know whether it is a boy or girl though!

1.  We have told my mil, fil, and sil.  I want to tell my friend at church as well.  We'll probably announce it on FB after the 14 wk mark and my ds closer to that time as well, I really want to wait to tell him on his Birthday in April, but I don't think I can wait that long.

2.  Nope, no u/s for us either.  I'm pretty sure its a boy anyway.

3. We will probably tell people IRL our baby names, but we don't need people analyzing it on FB.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#9 of 23 Old 01-16-2011, 08:04 PM

I tell everyone, i would also tell if something went wrong. So far my parents and 4 friends, one more tomorrow and then noone until after we hear a heartbeat. After the hb we will tell the kids if they haven't figured it out by then anyways:) my dh doesn't tell anyone.

Didn't find out the gender the last two times and not this time either. By now it is more important to dh than me not to know, but we go with that.

I tell names, don't care about other people's opinions about that at all, whatsoever. We already have a boy's name, but not reallz a girls's name. Guess we still have some time:)

me, wife and mama to ds ('06) and dd ('07), my miracle dd ('12) and surprise ds (5/14) and to plenty pets!

twinsbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif2/11, lost another twin brokenheart.gif 8/11

#10 of 23 Old 01-16-2011, 08:22 PM

I am telling on April Fools Day most likely. I will be 14 weeks by then and hope to know the sex by then (I did with the last 5 children).

#11 of 23 Old 01-16-2011, 08:58 PM

1. I was thinking about announcing it on Facebook on April Fools Day. We already told supportive family members on DH's side, and our kids.

2. No, we don't plan on finding out.

3/ Not revealing names until after the birth

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

#12 of 23 Old 01-16-2011, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We found out last night, and told family today. My husband can never keep a secret. :)

He called my 12yo niece and told her she could keep the secret for as long as she wanted, or tell everyone however she wanted. The rest of my family was at my sister's house for breakfast this morning, so my niece told everyone at the meal. I guess the way it was announced, everyone thought she meant my almost engaged sister was pregnant! They said nobody reacted for a bit except for almost choking on their food, until they understood it was me having a baby. I thought that was hilarious! I guess my little sister's boyfriend looked horrified. Ha, ha!

Wife to the greatest guy, and mommy to six handsome and fun boys!
#13 of 23 Old 01-16-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post

I am telling on April Fools Day most likely. I will be 14 weeks by then and hope to know the sex by then (I did with the last 5 children).

I'm totally stealing that!  I do that every year anyway when I'm not pregnant so no one will believe it lol.gif

mischievous.gif
#14 of 23 Old 01-17-2011, 06:38 AM

1. When are you telling people about your pregnancy? Will anyone special be the first to know? Any creative ideas?  We haven't told anyone yet.  This is our fourth pregnancy, and every time (except maybe the first) I've said that I didn't want to tell anyone for "a while."  I always impress the importance of this upon my husband, who solemnly agrees, and then a week or two later, I cave and tell everyone I know.  This time it feels a lot less "real" and I feel a lot less anxious to tell anyone.  That said, I'll probably talk with the midwife I work with before long, and maybe a friend or two (just to keep from going crazy).

2. Will you be finding out the gender at 20 weeks? No.  We found out with our first and second, and waited with our third.  Waiting turned out to be so much fun--I would never dream of finding out again.

3. Will you tell people the name of your baby before its birth? We share names, but I found it really hard to narrow the name down last time (even to one boy name and one girl name) when we didn't know the sex.  We narrowed it down to 3-4 for each, with strong leanings toward 1-2, and didn't decide for sure until several hours after she was born.

#15 of 23 Old 01-17-2011, 10:47 AM

1. When are you telling people about your pregnancy? Will anyone special be the first to know? Any creative ideas?  I told my husband by putting the same "Big Brother" shirt that my now 7yo wore to announce the pregnancy with our dd (5) on my 1yo and had him hold the pregnancy test.  The only other person I've told is a good friend of mine that has 5 children as well because of course she was supportive!  No clue when we'll tell everyone else, I think they're still getting over the shock of #4.  I waited until 16 weeks to tell them in person because we lived so far away.  I think I'll just wait to hear the heartbeat then tell everyone?

2. Will you be finding out the gender at 20 weeks?  This will be the first time we'll wait!  I'm so excited!!

3. Will you tell people the name of your baby before its birth?  We always pick out a name and tell everyone but that was when we knew the gender so this time I'm sure we'll share top picks.  I don't really care what people think.

IBCLC, student midwife, and co-sleeping, delayed/no vax, extended breastfeeding, homeschooling Momma to M(8), A(6), R(4)vbac.gifafter 2 c/s, J(2) hbac.gifand M (09/11)nocirc.gif

#16 of 23 Old 01-17-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:

1. We already told everyone we're going to tell. Anyone who doesn't know now will have to find out from others. This is #5 for us so there are certain people in our families who will react negatively and we don't need to hear that stuff.

2. We don't do U/S without medical indication so it's unlikely that we'll find out the gender before birth.

3. I don't mind telling the names on forums but after a very bad experience telling family, we have decided not to say anything to anyone IRL. 

Katie ~ Wife to Mr. Perfect and natural mommy to DD1, DS1, DS2, DD2, with Squishy coming in the fall.
#17 of 23 Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 PM

1. When are you telling people about your pregnancy? Will anyone special be the first to know? Any creative ideas?  We told my husband's parents (who we are very close to) the evening we got the positive test.  I also told my LJ, which includes some people I know irl.  I will probably tell the rest of my playgroup moms this week, since I am feeling so gross, and they will nkow something is up.  Aside from that, we will likely wait to tell everyone else until we hear a heartbeat.  Last time that wasn't until 14 weeks, which shocked some people.  I really don't want to have to un-tell the news to people I don't talk to often, if something goes wrong.

2. Will you be finding out the gender at 20 weeks?  Undecided.  With my first we wanted to find out at the 20 week scan, but she wasn't so keen on that plan.  They saw everything else that mattered, and we didn't want an extra ultra-sound just for that reason.  So we waited until the birth to find out.  And then in that post delivery rush, I totally forgot that I didn't know the sex.  It was a good 5 minutes before I thought to look orngtongue.gif.  I want to know, but I guess it's not that important? 

3. Will you tell people the name of your baby before its birth?  We didn't tell anyone (we were still stuck between two girls names, and had no idea on boy names) because we didn't want to hear their negative opinions.  I think we will do the same this time.

#18 of 23 Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 PM

We will probably tell our family as soon as we have a chance.  We have big families (on both sides) and we don't want to tell one person before the other, so we are waiting for a day that we will see everyone in the same day....crazy...but we hope that happens in the next week or so...

We are going to try to have our 4yo tell people...but not sure if he will agree :)-

No, we don't plan on having any ultrasounds unless medically indicated

Definitely not :lol  Since we haven't found out the gender of the baby ahead of time, we try and have 2 or 3 names we both agree on for both genders and then we wait and see what suits the child.  Although our youngest son didn't have a name for a couple of days :)

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boys Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (3) and ??? due November
#19 of 23 Old 01-18-2011, 06:36 AM

Oh, April Fool's day is a great day to announce it on FB.  I'll be 16weeks by then, that'll be perfect.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#20 of 23 Old 01-18-2011, 12:06 PM

1. When are you telling people about your pregnancy?

I told a few close friends after I shared it with DH.  They are people who I teach group fitness classes with and needed some advice about exercise do/do nots, as well as some people waiting in the wings in case I can't teach for some reason.     We will share with other family and friends around 12 weeks.  However, everyone is going to think I am gaining tons of weight, though. . . Hmmm. . .

Will anyone special be the first to know? 

DH was obviously the first to know.

Any creative ideas?

April Fools Facebook idea is really cute.

Nope.  This is the first time I am waiting. DH opted to wait with our second.

Nope.  We always have issues agreeing on names regardless.

Christine

Christine belly.gifmarried to Cody.superhero.gifMom to Orion (8) guitar.gif, Lourdes (6) love.gif and Britton (3)biggrinbounce.gif.  Expecting someone new September 2011. stork-suprise.gif
#21 of 23 Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM

IF I am still pregnant in April, I will tell on April Fools day.

#22 of 23 Old 01-18-2011, 05:46 PM

We've told only a very small handful of people, but yesterday we saw the heartbeat at 7.5 weeks, and that has me starting to feel much more positive and excited to tell!  So today I told my boss, who was enormously supportive and relaxed about it, and that clears the way for telling lots of friends who are in that circle.  I'm sure we'll want to tell parents first...  DD(3.5yo) seems to know already, so I'm excited to confirm it for her soon.  She asked her whole Sunday school class to pray for her baby brother or sister a few days ago :)  She's really into the facts of how the baby develops inside the mother, so I'm thinking of giving her a calendar with some pictures of different stages of fetal development pasted in at the right weeks so we can count off days together :)

2. Will you be finding out the gender at 20 weeks?  18 weeks with our HMO!  Yes, we like knowing - I feel more connected that way :)

3. Will you tell people the name of your baby before its birth?  We didn't with DD, and I'm not sure yet, but I'm thinking I'd like DD to know the name ahead of time.  And I know better than to think a 3.5yo can keep that kind of secret, so if we told her, we'd tell widely :)

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#23 of 23 Old 01-18-2011, 06:22 PM

-Right now my husband knows, my message board friends know, and my mom's group know because I wanted their prayers. My family doesn't know yet and my husband wanted to tell them in person, so whenever we can get together with them.

-Yes. My husband refuses to talk names without knowing the gender. *laugh*

-Yes but I'm sure people will be cautious because our first two were almost named something completely different before their real names popped into our lives. Our third was named from the gender ultrasound almost. *laugh*

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page