Maternity Clothes (tell about yours!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-20-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A word to the wise, shop consignment/thrift shop! I have two kiddos already, who I spent $20 for a pair of jeans, thinking it was a good deal. I threw away all of my maternity clothes this past summer! So I went out today and searched the local thrift and consignment shops for pants that won't leave me in pain. I got a pair of Gap maternity jeans for $6! they fit great and are made more sturdy than the $20 jeans of maternity past. Lovin' them right now and I am SO excited for warmer weather shopping, when this belly will get HUGE!

Anyone else already into maternity pants? My regular shirts are fitting fine for now, although my bras, well let''s just say that "my cups over-floweth", seriously!

Trying for #3  I am breaking out as a motivational speaker, dream coach and inspired blogger!
blogging.jpg to help inspire people to achieve their dreams, check me out!
#2 of 16 Old 01-20-2011, 02:34 PM

I gave away ALL my maternity clothes this past summer as well.  We were done!   Oh well...a lot of the clothes had been with me since the first pregnancy so it was time for new ones anyway.  I will miss some of my go to favorites...especially in the beginning when you just feel blah you know?  I will definitely be hitting the thrift shops!  And craigslist but I never know what I'm going to get when they sell it as one bag.  My dh ssays I can just wear his clothes...men!

IBCLC, student midwife, and co-sleeping, delayed/no vax, extended breastfeeding, homeschooling Momma to M(8), A(6), R(4)vbac.gifafter 2 c/s, J(2) hbac.gifand M (09/11)nocirc.gif

#3 of 16 Old 01-20-2011, 04:52 PM
L J

I'm in both maternity pants AND shirts - already, my regular shirts are too short unless I want to wear a long layering tank underneath. I pretty much only buy my maternity clothes at thrift stores; we have some really great ones around here. I'm a jeans a t-shirt kind of girl, and I don't work, so I don't have to find nice business stuff. Though, when it gets warmer, I will live in the maxi dresses with pockets from Target that aren't maternity, but happily accomadate a belly. The only things I have bought new are a couple of staple white layering tanks - I like the Gap body ones with the rouching on the sides. They are perfect under just about every kind of shirt or dress possible, or worn alone if you get a dark color or wear two of the lighter ones. They are only $14.50 so not bad. As for jeans - I have fallen for the secret belly fit, and I won't even look at anything else. These suckers actually stay UP - all the way through the 3rd trimester, and then they don't look like maternity pants for those pp months. I love them. 

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#4 of 16 Old 01-21-2011, 08:02 AM

I know I will have to buy a few things, but I am hoping to get by with what I have from my previous pregnancy.  However, my son was born in February, so I have mostly wintery things.  Last time, I was working, so had to look professional.  I had three dresses, all short sleeved, that I layered with shirts and sweaters.  I loved having such a limited wardrobe, because I didn't have to think about what to wear, and I always looked cute, due to the big belly. This time, I am thinking I can wear the stretchy skirts I already own (not maternity, but cotton jersey) with inexpensive tank tops. Or so I hope.

I got a lot of my maternity clothes from friends and acquaintances, and I plan to pass mine on as well.  My stash has been worn by at least 4 different Mommas!

#5 of 16 Old 01-21-2011, 08:32 AM

i'm not wearing them yet but i gave away all my maternity clothes (except a couple things-there's ONE pair of pants that i regret giving away and maybe a shirt or two) so i've been thrift shopping lately. i hit a sale and got 2 pairs of jeans for $4 and a maternity top for $2. my mom got me a sweater as well for $2 and at a small department store i got a tank top and a sweater for $3 (not maternity but the sweater will def work and the tank top likely will for a while too.) i got another empire waist top that will work as well for a few bucks at another thrift store that day too :) ....i think that was everything.... i'll likely need more shirts but with the pair of dress pants i kept and all my yoga pants, i should be ok til summer hits. then i'll wear a lot of yoga capris most likely and dresses. i'll likely borrow from friends too if anyone has anything to spare.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#6 of 16 Old 01-23-2011, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a ton of maternity clothes.  This is my 6th pregnancy (hopefully 4th living baby though) and my maternity clothes have been around the block.  They've been on loan to lots of people and had new things added to the mix.  Half of them got lost when I loaned them to someone and then I lost contact with them and couldn't get ahold of them before I moved out of state.  That still irks me a bit, but what ya gonna do?  Ya know?  Anyway, hubby bought me a couple of things on his last business trip.  A couple of super cute skirts, and I found a shirt for $2 and a summer dress for $3 at Kohls last week.  I'm not wearing maternity yet, but I know in the end I'll be very thankful for these items.  :)  I'm excited to pull out my maternity just to have some different clothes to wear!  LOL  Yay!  A whole new wardrobe for a few months!

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#7 of 16 Old 01-23-2011, 09:22 AM

We recently moved and because of that and also because I recently lost and a lot of weight and we weren't planning to TTC until I got to my goal weight I gave ALL of my maternity pants to salvation army mid-December (ironically, I was probably pregnant already then!!!).  I did keep some of my nicer shirts that were lightweight since we knew we were moving to Brazil so it didn't make sense to bring anything that was too warm.  

So here's what I had to start with:
2 Tees
3 Short-sleeved dressier shirts
1 zip-up sweater
1 belly band
1 dress that needs some repairs (I'm still getting around to it)
1 swim suit

But I desperately needed shorts and summer clothes because none of my old clothes fit anymore (and, well, I gave away all my "fat clothes" too).  So once I go here I bought

2 summer dresses
1 pair of black yoga pants
1 pair of shorts
1 pair of capris
1 button up dress shirt

I would've loved to get them at a used clothing store but maternity clothes are really only for the rich here (or at least that's the impression I got) and really hard to find so I doubt I would've had any luck there.  However, basically, we decided this would be my graduation present since I didn't get a party so we didn't feel as bad about spending so much.  I think this should get me through everything.  I have some PJ pants that I'm pretty sure I can wear the entire time and at the most I might have to get a light jacket or something once the winter comes. adf

#8 of 16 Old 01-23-2011, 04:00 PM

I got rid of all my maternity clothes after my 3rd, so I am back to square 1.  Kind of sucks because she was an August baby and this one is September so the seasons would have matched up.  I was looking at maternity clothes online and already find them blah, blah, blah!   I am hoping to be in my regular clothes as long as possible. 

Christine belly.gifmarried to Cody.superhero.gifMom to Orion (8) guitar.gif, Lourdes (6) love.gif and Britton (3)biggrinbounce.gif.  Expecting someone new September 2011. stork-suprise.gif
#9 of 16 Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 PM

We're moving in a few months so back in December I thought for sure there was no way I was pregnant, I even joked it would be a reverse jinx and if I packed them up I'd need them, we were planning to take a TTC break for a month or two after that, so I packed up all my mat clothes and sent them over to a friends basement for storage while we get our house ready to sell.  Today I tried to put my regular jeans on and had to use my sons Dapper Snappers so I wouldn't have to do them up, plus a Bella band over top to hide them.  SO depressing!  We had to go over to the friends to get the box of mat clothes back.  DS was born in May so most of the clothes were warmer, winter stuff.  Luckily though we went to Jamaica when I was 6 months pregnant so I have all the summer clothes from the trip.  For those looking for something more versatile I bought a lot of wrap skirts, they adjust with your belly and you can wear them after, either as a skirt or a beach cover up.  I need some new/better jeans though, I bought all my at Old Navy cause they were cheap but they never really looked very good and I've since learned that I need to feel a slight sense of fashion still, otherwise I feel like I've succumbed my entire self and body to just being a mom, still need to be me a little.

#10 of 16 Old 01-25-2011, 11:21 AM

Perhaps I'll feel different about this later, but I can't wait to get some maternity clothes!  This is my first, I'm only 5 weeks along, but I look at the listings on Craigslist a few times a week and look at what's on sale at GAP and Old Navy pretty often too :)

I'm really grateful that I won't need things like a maternity winter coat and other heavy clothes.

Mom to Thora, born at home 9/28/2011. Currently in Madison, WI, but gearing up for a move to Providence, RI in August! I'd love to meet some folks.
#11 of 16 Old 01-25-2011, 11:54 AM

I'm not in to maternity clothes yet but I really want a pair of these http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=55350&vid=1&pid=552400 for summer. I overheat even in winter and those shorts look so comfy.  Typically I buy everything used but I've had a few new things I loved that I bought brand new from jcpenny and target. 

:
#12 of 16 Old 01-25-2011, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'll give a little advice to those who are on your first pregnancy......wait as long as possible to buy maternity clothes.  I was silly on my first one and went out and bought all kids of stuff at Motherhood maternity, even with the little bump pillow you add to your belly....I thought surely I'd not get much bigger than that.  Well, within three months I'd outgrown everything and had to go drop cash all over again.  Biggest waste ever!  I know it's exciting to think about wearing cute maternity stuff and have your belly showing and proudly announce to the world that you're growing a baby, but unless you've got money to burn, hold off!

miblair likes this.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#13 of 16 Old 01-25-2011, 06:42 PM

I pulled out my maternity stuff and pawed through  it, mainly donations from my sister orngbiggrin.gif  Lots of great pants and capris, some dresses that are okay...  What I'm missing most are some cute shirts!  Last time a friend lent me some, but she's in the middle of pregnancy #3 this time, so in a week or two I want to go cruise around some thrift shops and see what I can find!  If I can find 8-9 great short sleeved tops, I have plenty of stuff to layer on top while it's chilly, and then they will carry me through summer... when I may also splurge on a couple summer-y tunic style dresses and capri leggings biggrinbounce.gif

Oh, and though shirts still fit okay, I wore my first pair of maternity pants today - so comfy!

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#14 of 16 Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 PM
L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlyGrnMigt View Post

Perhaps I'll feel different about this later, but I can't wait to get some maternity clothes!  This is my first, I'm only 5 weeks along, but I look at the listings on Craigslist a few times a week and look at what's on sale at GAP and Old Navy pretty often too :)

I'm really grateful that I won't need things like a maternity winter coat and other heavy clothes.

I read an article when we were ttc #1 that said women who buy maternity clothes early in pregnancy tend to feel better about their body and in their clothes towards the end. I took that to heart, and bought a lot of stuff on clearance in the first trimester. Henry was a January baby, and I found out I was pregnant in April, so I got great deals on winter clearance for later. I did outgrow some of the shirts in length by the 8th month, but I felt super cute my entire pregnancy. If you find some good deals now, go ahead and splurge if you can! Just save some of your maternity clothes budget for those last couple months, when you'll be hot and miserable and feel huge. And just for the record, this is my 3rd and I am still super excited about maternity clothes! I like them better than real clothes, and I feel so much prettier with a belly than I do any other time.

cparkly likes this.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#15 of 16 Old 01-26-2011, 03:28 AM

I've never heard that but I'd definitely believe it!  Last pregnancy I bought maternity clothes early too and even though I gained a ton I felt really happy throughout.  This time I really did need maternity clothes fit wise but I wanted to get them early because they're fun, it will save time later one when I know I'm going to be super busy, and I desperately needed summer clothes so it made more sense to buy maternity ones.  Anyways, I'm not letting myself wear all of them until I hit 12 weeks but the two that I have been wearing really boost my spirits. :D  Plus I feel much more pregnant than fat, which really does helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlyGrnMigt View Post

I read an article when we were ttc #1 that said women who buy maternity clothes early in pregnancy tend to feel better about their body and in their clothes towards the end. I took that to heart, and bought a lot of stuff on clearance in the first trimester. Henry was a January baby, and I found out I was pregnant in April, so I got great deals on winter clearance for later. I did outgrow some of the shirts in length by the 8th month, but I felt super cute my entire pregnancy. If you find some good deals now, go ahead and splurge if you can! Just save some of your maternity clothes budget for those last couple months, when you'll be hot and miserable and feel huge. And just for the record, this is my 3rd and I am still super excited about maternity clothes! I like them better than real clothes, and I feel so much prettier with a belly than I do any other time.

#16 of 16 Old 01-26-2011, 03:10 PM

Well, this babe is a surprise and I actually just sent much of my maternity stuff off through holiday helper and local "mama in need" holiday drives.  BUT the local thrifts stores have great selections.  Not huge, this is a college town so there aren't a lot of pregnant ladies tossing their clothes to salvo, but what there is is usually good quality.  Gap, Motherhood Maternity, Duo, Glamourmama, Pea in the Pod, etc.  The salvation army has a few feet of rack space, the pricier thrift shop has a rack, and then there is a mama/child thrift shop with lots of things in the "under 10 dollar" range.  So I'm kind of looking forward to a little "necessary" shopping.

I have basically lived in maternity tank tops for 6 years now... the help pants stay up, cover sensitive belly skin, the shelf bra works despite the crazy breast size changes of pregnancy/nursing, good for nursing, and so on.  I need a few new ones but they last a long time (I mostly have the Target kind) so I think those will be my primary "splurge".  I think I have 2 or 3 pants left, a skirt, a dress, and a few tops.  But I find that I always want to buy more as the pregnancy progresses... finding a new, pretty, something at 38 weeks rocks!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page