Best/worst pregnancy symptoms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 01-23-2011, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought it'd be fun to rate what you think is the best and worst pregnancy symptoms.  For me the best is the crazy vivid dreams since they are normally fairly entertaining and don't make me feel sick. :) Probably the next best would be breast tenderness since it's not as annoying as anything else.  The worst is by far fatigue for me.  I feel like I'm sleeping around the clock!!! I'm not getting ANYTHING done but if I don't sleep I get nauseated and am just a zombie.  Insomnia is the second worse for me because it just makes my fatigue worse! Any one else want to share?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 AM

Best - breast tenderness = hopes for a full milk supply this time!  Worst - nausea that randomly strikes, esp. when I'm driving, and the insomnia - I need sleep!!

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#3 of 30 Old 01-23-2011, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Best - Change in taste of breastmilk to my 2.5 yo DS! Night weaned in a week naturally!!!! Yay I can finally sleep all night long.

Worst - almost all day nausea. I also have anxiety linked to nausea, so Im sure that makes it worse...

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
#4 of 30 Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 AM

The dreams are definitely my favorite pregnancy symptom.  I've already dreamt about this baby (she was sitting on the kitchen table trying to eat crayons!) and I seem to have vivid dreams that I remember almost every night.

Worst is the nausea.  With 2 big homeschooled kids I just don't have time to feel crummy!  I can't remember nausea like this with my past pregnancies, but I'm hoping a better diet and just getting farther along will help.

“...there are two ways to meet life; you may refuse to care until indifference becomes a habit, a defensive armor, and you are safe - but bored. Or you can care greatly, live greatly, until life breaks you on its wheel. ” - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#5 of 30 Old 01-23-2011, 09:01 AM

Best- Im officially bigger than a "barely A" cup. Thats about it.

Worst- severe ALL DAY 24/7 nausea, unable to eat or drink anything, being miserably tired all the time and unable to get work done or get out of the house, overwhelming sense of smell, irritability, flu like symptoms with body aches, headaches, did I mention nausea? This is my first pregnancy, and we may be an only child family or adopting after this one. I can't imagine volunteering for this again. Its hard to get work done, and I have a lot of work to do, I'm grumpy all the time,  and have spent too much time watching tv alone as I don't have the energy to do anything else.

Active self employed momma to my amazing son with down syndrome born 8/24/11, wife to the most amazing husband ever, expecting baby #2 on September 5th, 2012, exactly 1 year from my sons original due date. Currently sharing our crazy household with 1 house rabbit, 3 exotic lizards, 1 guinea pig...

#6 of 30 Old 01-23-2011, 03:27 PM

Activealli you'll be amazed but once you're holding that little bundle you really do forget all the crappy parts of pregnancy.  It took me 6 months to suddenly realize everything had stopped the day I delivered.  This time around I swear I can't do this first trimester ever again, but I know in 4 weeks it'll be gone and in my mind it'll never be as bad as it really was!

For my best, probably the vivid dreams, and the fact that DH is absolutely doting on me, letting me get as much rest as possible and doing as much of the housework as he can.  The worst, the all day nausea, despite the pills I'm taking, the increased sense of smell, I swear I can smell the chicken before it leaves the farm, the fact that my sister told me my butt had gotten bigger, can't wait till it's her turn, the lack of energy, I'm exhausted all the time, we're moving in a few months and we need to get our house ready to sell but I have no energy to do anything!

#7 of 30 Old 01-23-2011, 08:00 PM

Best symptom? Sorry if it's TMI for you guys, but I have hands-free literally orgasmic dreams when I'm pregnant. It's kinda crazy, it often wakes me up.

Worst symptom? I have so many to chose from from last time that I shouldn't even start. Maybe it won't happen this time but I was crippled enough to be hardly able to walk with a cane on and off by about 15 weeks. I'm kinda counting down, and appreciating being able to walk these days. Right now my biggest complaint is some relatively mild nausea, with any luck it will stay my biggest complaint...

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

#8 of 30 Old 01-23-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Sarah~~ View Post

Best symptom? Sorry if it's TMI for you guys, but I have hands-free literally orgasmic dreams when I'm pregnant. It's kinda crazy, it often wakes me up.

I am so jealous, I WISH my best symptom even came close to that!

Best- The pregnancy glow, I always have amazing skin and beautiful hair

Worst- The first trimester exhaustion, and the third trimester uncomfortableness. I can't even sleep right in the third tri.

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

#9 of 30 Old 01-23-2011, 09:52 PM

i agree, the dreams are fantastic!  i also like that my skin and hair are really nice right now.

not liking the sleepiness either...doesn't matter how much i sleep, i just want more!  sucks since i just started a new job!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#10 of 30 Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:

and have spent too much time watching tv alone as I don't have the energy to do anything else.

Same here. And I feel guilty for letting my DH do all the housework and cooking.

#11 of 30 Old 01-24-2011, 08:37 PM

A third agree on the dreams!

#12 of 30 Old 01-25-2011, 05:41 AM

So. Tired.

And forgetful... I walked out of the door yesterday with only my lunch (priorities:)  and couldn't remember the difference between "modem" and "monitor" at work.....Also, forgot all of the outcomes of a meeting that I led only a few days ago....hehehehe.

Best...when things taste good, they taste sooooooo good...like cilantro per say.... :)

Married to CH (2005) and mother to DS1 (6/2006), DS2 (8/2008) and DS3 Sept 22nd, 2011!   

#13 of 30 Old 01-25-2011, 06:59 AM

I love the dreams, and the way I sleep so incredibly deeply. 

While I kind of enjoy the ethereal spacy fog I am in, I do get concerned when I get lost on a familiar route while driving, or find that I have left the house wearing slippers.  And the aphasia is starting to get on my nerves.  Pregnancy brain is SO weird!  I am glad I am not working full-time these days.  I remember being in meetings and forgetting my point halfway through a sentence last time around: not like me at all.

#14 of 30 Old 01-25-2011, 08:49 AM

My only symptoms so far are little abdominal twinges, slightly sore breasts, and dizziness.  The dizziness kinda freaks me out, so I guess that's my worst.

I like the abdominal twinges. :)

Mom to Thora, born at home 9/28/2011. Currently in Madison, WI, but gearing up for a move to Providence, RI in August! I'd love to meet some folks.
#15 of 30 Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Sarah~~ View Post

Thanks for reminding me about those.  Hahahaha!  Those are nice.  I also like that when there is a smell that I like, I can REALLY smell it.  Like roses and garlic and cilantro.  Mmmm.....  Cinnamon.  I smell everything that smells good to me extra deeply.

Worst - nausea from week 6-9 and then my ribs being separated the last trimester.  I separated them years ago and it seems like they like to separate the last trimester and its painful to sleep on my left side.  Oh, and the dreams this time.  Ever since I became estranged from my father I have dreams about him, ugh.  Though I did have a dream that my ex surprised me with an unexpected visit with my ds, but then it turned out it was an ulterior motive to buy a boat and have it shipped to his house.orngtongue.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#16 of 30 Old 01-25-2011, 02:25 PM

I had a dream I was eating a Butterfinger candy bar. I could REALLY taste it!

It was wonderful for me, because I have allergies and haven't had one of those in at least 8 years!

Butterfinger wasn't my favorite, but hey - I'll take it!

#17 of 30 Old 01-25-2011, 03:54 PM

Best-- being pregnant!! feeling all motherly and doted on

Worst-- Being sick this week with a terrible head cold-- add that to the already horrible tummy problems and the inability to not want to sleep all day, but not at night. Let's just get this first trimester over with already!

--Kelly

#18 of 30 Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Ok, so I'm not the only one with horrible headaches? Those have been the worst for me this time around, and alternating with nausea.

I do like that my hair gets thick (it's usually baby fine and straight) and my nails stop breaking!

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
#19 of 30 Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 PM

I have another worst, anyone else experiencing chronic yeast infections?  I didn't have this with my first but it's like as soon as it clears up a few days later another one comes on.  I see my midwife tomorrow, hopefully she'll have some sort of magical cure, and if not hopefully the second trimester will!!

#20 of 30 Old 01-26-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smurfy View Post

I have another worst, anyone else experiencing chronic yeast infections?  I didn't have this with my first but it's like as soon as it clears up a few days later another one comes on.  I see my midwife tomorrow, hopefully she'll have some sort of magical cure, and if not hopefully the second trimester will!!

That would definately be on the "worst" side. What have you tried?

I am sure that you have gone through this whole list, but just in case:

• wear only dry, cotton underwear,
  • give yourself plenty of "airing out" time (even dry yourself with a hairdryer after bathing)
  • use no products (douching, feminine cleansers, or soaps),
  • bathe a few times a week in real (like Bragg's) cider vinegar water, a couple of drops of tea tree oil is good too
  • get rest,
  • limit sugar,
  • drink lots of water,
  • eat yogurt/kephir and apply it topically,

I used a homeopathic remedy once while pregnant and suffering from recurring overgrowths. Maybe mention that to your midwife, too. 

I wish you speedy relief!

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#21 of 30 Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the tips!  My midwife recommended putting a 4 to 1 water & vinnegar solution on a tampon and even adding some acidophilus to it and use that during the night for a week.  I don't think it's come back yet so I'll wait and try it if it does come back, but I am taking acidophilus regularly, which helped at one time but not lately.  The vinnegar baths sound like a good idea, I've been avoiding baths to avoid further drying out my skin, which is another issue, the liners I use when using the yeast infection creams dry my skin out and then I get eczema, oh the fun cycle of it all!  I've been wanting to take a nice bath though, so maybe one with some vinnegar and tea tree oil will actually help.  I know yogurt is recommended, except yogurt has become so full of sugar that it's more a desert than beneficial now, I try to only use plain non-fat greek yogurt, but it tastes like sour cream so I use it as a sour cream substitue instead of as yogurt.  Maybe I need a big plate of nachos with salsa and yogurt (:(organic and low-sodium and all that other good stuff of course)!   

Thank you so much for the help, hopefully I can get it to go away for good.  Off to get some of that rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparkly View Post

That would definately be on the "worst" side. What have you tried?

I am sure that you have gone through this whole list, but just in case:

• wear only dry, cotton underwear,
  • give yourself plenty of "airing out" time (even dry yourself with a hairdryer after bathing)
  • use no products (douching, feminine cleansers, or soaps),
  • bathe a few times a week in real (like Bragg's) cider vinegar water, a couple of drops of tea tree oil is good too
  • get rest,
  • limit sugar,
  • drink lots of water,
  • eat yogurt/kephir and apply it topically,

I used a homeopathic remedy once while pregnant and suffering from recurring overgrowths. Maybe mention that to your midwife, too. 

I wish you speedy relief!

#22 of 30 Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 PM

I totally got the random pregnancy symptom tonight.  It's totally TMI though.  The hormones have made me crazy.  Hahahaha!  So, I laughed the entire time I was doing the bd with my dh and I was laughing so hard it made me cry and then I seriously started crying.  It was the oddest thing and then my dh laughed at me while I was crying and the whole time my cockatiel was imitating me laughing.  OMG.  So odd.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#23 of 30 Old 01-29-2011, 07:35 AM

My breasts are now at the point where they're not "achy" but SO SORE that they're keeping me from sleeping on my stomach.  I was hoping that I'd have a few more months before that became impossible.

Mom to Thora, born at home 9/28/2011. Currently in Madison, WI, but gearing up for a move to Providence, RI in August! I'd love to meet some folks.
#24 of 30 Old 01-29-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4latte View Post

Ok, so I'm not the only one with horrible headaches? Those have been the worst for me this time around, and alternating with nausea.

Oh, I've been having crazy headaches too - some days it seems like I'm either nauseous or having a headache without a moment of peace in between!  When I'm not pg I find drinking extra water helps, as does avoiding sugar, but now  neither seems to do a thing.  

Have you found any non-drug headache remedies that work for you?  

-Maggie

“...there are two ways to meet life; you may refuse to care until indifference becomes a habit, a defensive armor, and you are safe - but bored. Or you can care greatly, live greatly, until life breaks you on its wheel. ” - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#25 of 30 Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 PM

Rest, and making sure that I don't forget to eat.

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
#26 of 30 Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Hey time 4 latte - have you tried a little chocolate? There is a caffeine in chocolate and it has helped me with headaches.

Don't overdo it though - too much caffeine isn't safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4latte View Post

Oh, I've been having crazy headaches too - some days it seems like I'm either nauseous or having a headache without a moment of peace in between!  When I'm not pg I find drinking extra water helps, as does avoiding sugar, but now  neither seems to do a thing.  

Have you found any non-drug headache remedies that work for you?  

-Maggie

#27 of 30 Old 02-06-2011, 09:13 PM

My stomach really hasn't been able to handle most forms of caffeine. Coffee rots my stomach, as does tea. The sugar in regular soda makes me feel worse and I don't really like drinking "diet" stuff. You just never know with these other sweetners. Chocolate just hasn't appealed to me much. I had some chocolate pudding the other night (made from bittersweet) and I just felt ill afterwords. If it's not a headache, it's my stomach. Just a little longer and first trimester will be over.....

#28 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 06:59 PM

Ditto those orgasmic dreams as the best!

I'm not sure whether the insane nausea that never, ever ends or the complete and utter exhaustion is the worst.

#29 of 30 Old 02-13-2011, 07:13 PM

Well it's pretty easy to come up with the worst, the nausea and food aversions. The food aversions are really starting to mess with me. I'm just heading into week 8 so behind a lot of you. Meat is finally out, 100%, and the main thing that still sounds appealing is Asian food - veggie sushi, miso soup, Thai soups, pad thai mainly. I'm spending a lot more than usual on take out and impulse grocery shopping, but at least it's a short period of time. This will be my third babe so I am reasonably confident I only have about 2-3 more weeks of this. And I was hard pressed to even think of a positive so far here but the vivid dreams is a pretty good one, I have to say. :)

#30 of 30 Old 12-20-2011, 10:40 AM

My best symptom would have to be breast tenderness because its not really in my way, I also have been having some amazing dreams myself :)

My worst symptom is my back pain! It is so god awful I can't even stand it!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page