What Do Your Children Think? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-04-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know (and can respect) that many of you have not yet told your children that you are pregnant. But, for those that have, what do your children think? 

My DS is very, very attached and curious. (ead: comes to the bathroom with me, every time, saw me take my pregnancy test(s), went with me to the Dr and for my ultrasound, etc...)

He is so very sweet. He sings songs to my belly and pats it while he is nursing. He is setting aside special books and toys to share with the baby. He has even decided which of my breasts the baby should nurse from love.gif and which wrap the baby will want to be worn in first. 

I so hope that all goes well with this pregnancy. DS know that I have lost two pregnancies, he talks about those "yittle babies that didn't grow out". I want him to be able to experience being a brother.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#2 of 14 Old 02-04-2011, 09:02 AM

Aww! He sounds so cute! I told my daughter when we were conceiving that "a little baby might get in mommy's tummy, mommy and daddy are trying to put one in there." She is enamored with the idea! BTW, she already has a little bro, but she was only 20mos when he was born, she is now 3.5 so she is really excited! She is already talking about changing the pee-pee diapers, but not the poopie ones! Anytime I have a special food craving, like tomato juice, I tell them it is special for the baby and they don't beg for some. By the time the baby is born she will be 4 and my son will be 2.5 (hopefully potty trained!). My daughter is already trying to help us name the baby. She wants it to be a girl and to name it "Doria", which is not a bad name, but we already have one picked out! Every morning she wants to kiss the baby belly (which is just flabby right now), I try to stick it out for her. When she and my son want to sit on my lap at the same time, I remind them that the baby will be the only one in my lap sometimes. I am trying to get them used to the baby and its place in our family.

Trying for #3  I am breaking out as a motivational speaker, dream coach and inspired blogger!
blogging.jpg to help inspire people to achieve their dreams, check me out!
#3 of 14 Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 AM

DD is overjoed and loves talking about the baby! love.gif She has decided that the baby has a little bed inside in the belly and eats with a little knife and fork etc. in order to eat his little pizza (because she says she's going to have a baby brother).  She keeps asking when the baby is going to come out and play with her (but sometimes reminds herself that the baby needs to grow bigger and bigger before he can come out).

I really want to find a book that has pictures of babies inside the belly (you know like a cut away so you can see the pregnant mom but with the baby in there?) but I haven't found anything yet... any suggestions? I did find one but it was wwwaaaayyy too mature for her and showed, umm... , exactly how the baby was made! shy.gif I figure if she asks about that it's one thing but I don't need to invite any unneeded questions right now. winky.gif 

She talks often about what toys the baby will  play with and that the baby will nurse once he's born.  She's also decided that it's her sacred responsibility to teach him to clap and jump, which she is already trying to show him now. biggrinbounce.gif

#4 of 14 Old 02-04-2011, 09:37 AM

DD (3.5yo) has been ridiculously excited since we told her, so thrilled to be an older sister!  She's been praying and asking others to pray that we'd have a baby for about 6 months now :)  She talks to the baby, including the baby's responses, constantly wants to pat and kiss and sing to my tummy, talks about all the ways she'll help, giggles about me feeding the baby every time I eat, begs me to wear "pregnancy pants"...  We made her a calendar with pictures of what the baby looks like at different stages of development, pictures of fruit representing size, holidays and special family days to give her a better sense of time passing, etc. - she loves it, and we mark off each day during our bedtime routine.

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#5 of 14 Old 02-05-2011, 10:55 PM
L J

Henry's a skeptic. When I was pregnant with the one I lost in Nov, he was super excited and always wanting to buy stuff for the baby. He was super excited about Jack - always singing too him, feeling him move, listening to his heartbeat, buying him things... This time around, he just doesn't seem to believe there is going to be a baby at the end. My poor, jaded kid. He is too young to be so cynical. I figure he'll start getting excited when he can feel the baby move.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#6 of 14 Old 02-06-2011, 07:23 AM

Ds (3.5) is so excited! He has been praying for a baby for months. He is, however convinced that it is a baby sister. He can't be persuaded to believe it could be anything else!!! He wants the baby to "pop out" and play! I'm excited to teach him how a baby is actually born! So yes... He's pumped about being a big brother.
But right now...I can't imagine what he is thinking? He knows there is a baby in my tummy, but other than that all he hears is how sick mommy is. He wants to stand right next to the toilet while I'm throwing up. All he hears from me is: go ask your daddy. We try to just say I'm sick and not talk about the "pregnancy" making me sick. Basically, it feels like I'm dying not pregnant. Thankfully, I have an amazing husband who calls our son his best friend. But I miss ds and I know he misses me too. Btw...I've tried everything...Ginger, seabands, zofran, reglan, I just seem to throw up 3 times a day no matter what.

Married to a rad dad since 2005! Mommy to DS since 6-24-07! TTC #2 for 1 1/2 years...Joyfully EXPECTING #2 on 9/11!!!!
#7 of 14 Old 02-06-2011, 09:07 AM

We haven't "told" the kiddos but I did ask the "what do you think about having a new baby?" question.

ds, 18mo, had no comment

dd2, 3.5yo, thought a new baby would be so much fun she suggested triplets instead of just one

dd1, nearly 6yo, responded with "no.  no way.  I do NOT want another baby."

Oh dear.  LOL  Hopefully she'll change her mind.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#8 of 14 Old 02-25-2011, 04:47 AM

We waited to tell the kids until last week (10 weeks) and I almost waited longer but it is getting really obvious. (Third babies really do pop fast!) My kids are 9 and 14!  I didn't want to tell them too early in case I lost the pregnancy. Being that they are older I didn't want them to have to worry or grieve unnecessarily. But now that they know my daughter, 9, is thrilled and wants to be at the birth. She has her nose stuck in a name book and is asking a million question about fetal development and birth. I love it! My son is kind of quiet about it right now, cant expect a teenage boy to be thrilled about a newborn in house. But he is awesome with kids and I'm sure once the baby comes he will be just as excited.

Laura, my heart goes out to you and your family. You are so brave and strong to try again!!! Maybe you can take Henry to an ultrasound with you so he can see the baby moving? 

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#9 of 14 Old 03-04-2011, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

My daughter just turned 4 in November and she is very, very excited! Honestly it's been more fun sharing it with her than anyone else. She went to my appointment with me last month and helped find the heartbeat and enjoyed talking to our midwives about her ideas about being a big sister. She, too, likes to stand next to the toilet if I'm throwing up. She wants a sister, but she said if it's a boy "we can name it Pinocchio and I'll share my boy toys. And when he's a two year old I'll teach him to be nice" (Inspired, I'm sure, by a sweet but scrappy little boy at her daycare).

On a whim last week at the store I let her pick out one of the cabbage patch dolls where you can't tell if they'll be a boy or a girl. Before she opened it we talked about how much we would love it if it was a boy or a girl, and she picked out the names Fred and Flower. It turned out to be a girl, and she's been taking wonderful care of it! She keeps it wrapped up, feeds it, sleeps with it. But the other night she told me "When our baby is here and you are tired of holding it I'll put my baby down and hold our baby."

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#10 of 14 Old 03-04-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareseatoats View Post

My daughter just turned 4 in November and she is very, very excited! Honestly it's been more fun sharing it with her than anyone else. She went to my appointment with me last month and helped find the heartbeat and enjoyed talking to our midwives about her ideas about being a big sister. She, too, likes to stand next to the toilet if I'm throwing up. She wants a sister, but she said if it's a boy "we can name it Pinocchio and I'll share my boy toys. And when he's a two year old I'll teach him to be nice" (Inspired, I'm sure, by a sweet but scrappy little boy at her daycare).

On a whim last week at the store I let her pick out one of the cabbage patch dolls where you can't tell if they'll be a boy or a girl. Before she opened it we talked about how much we would love it if it was a boy or a girl, and she picked out the names Fred and Flower. It turned out to be a girl, and she's been taking wonderful care of it! She keeps it wrapped up, feeds it, sleeps with it. But the other night she told me "When our baby is here and you are tired of holding it I'll put my baby down and hold our baby."

Ooohhhh! That's heart warming! I see you just joined..I joined a couple of weeks ago. When are you due?

Debi :-)

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#11 of 14 Old 03-05-2011, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would have preferred not to tell the children, but unfortunately, they can read pregnancy tests so they did. But, yet, they do not seem that interested or concerned. They never bother to bring it up or otherwise. It is not a hush hush subject, I just think they would be more interested if I told them we were going to grow liver and onions.

#12 of 14 Old 03-08-2011, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

Ooohhhh! That's heart warming! I see you just joined..I joined a couple of weeks ago. When are you due?

Debi :-)

I'm due September 1st! I'm guessing I might go in August, because my daughter was a few days earlier than her edd. They've actually given me a few different due dates, but I finally decided just to stick with the farthest one out (they were all within a few days of each other anyhow) to be on the safe side and make sure baby is in no way rushed out of there.

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#13 of 14 Old 03-10-2011, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DS (2.5 years old) somehow got around to thinking that the baby is in *his* belly!

He tells people at church "I have a baby sister in my uterus". lol.gif

And when DH tries to tickle his belly he says "don't bother my baby sister".

I have no idea where he got this idea. We don't even know it's a girl yet, even though we are hoping for one!

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#14 of 14 Old 03-11-2011, 04:12 AM

My DS is 2.5 and will be ALMOST sharing the same birthday!  I was due Sept. 3rd I thought but when I last saw my doc I saw she wrote Aug 30th.  :O  My son was born Aug 20th of 2008.  How exciting :)

My son is so happy. He keeps saying it's a girl.  Which we are hoping for!  He puts his hand on my belly and says kick kick! I say not yet, but soon! haha.  He told me he wants to share his toy cars with the baby :)

SAHM Amber 24      DH Chris 26     DS Aiden  3  BFP for Christmas!!   25****30****35baby.gif***40!! 8/30 It's a stork-girl.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page