Does your pregnant belly look smaller on some days? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A few days ago, my belly looked huge for being 11 weeks pregnant.

Now it feels softer and has looked smaller for a few days. I'm wondering why...

Is that cause to worry?

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

It's normal.  It's really not baby you're seeing right now, but all your guts being pushed upwards.  It will fluctuate from day to day based on how bloated you are.  If you've eaten less or went #2 more, you'll be a bit smaller.  redface.gif

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

Old 02-16-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks thats reassuring!

And yuck about the guts ha ha!

Old 02-17-2011, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes. I am barely showing some days and flat as a board the next (Ill be 12 weeks on monday). And yuck on the guts! Luckily Im not showing enough for anyone to touch my stomach. I would have a hard time is someone was feeling my bulging guts !! haha.

I bought a ton of pregnant pants I cant wait to wear, and I am sooo not showing enough wear them. I am actually looking forward to showing, not just for the clothes, but to actually feel like I have to something to show for the last 3 months of feeling terrible!

Active self employed momma to my amazing son with down syndrome born 8/24/11, wife to the most amazing husband ever, expecting baby #2 on September 5th, 2012, exactly 1 year from my sons original due date. Currently sharing our crazy household with 1 house rabbit, 3 exotic lizards, 1 guinea pig...

Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 PM

Hey, I didn't design the body that way. I'm just explaining it. redface.gif

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthylady View Post

Hey, I didn't design the body that way. I'm just explaining it. redface.gif

LOL! I thought it was rather funny!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:25 PM

Yep, totally normal until the uterus is actually high enough to give you the baby bump.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:12 PM

It is a "food baby".  In the morning, I have a fairly flat stomach.  By bedtime, I look 4-5 months pregnant (depending on which of the boys I'm comparing it to)!!  Since we aren't telling much of anyone yet, I have to be careful what I wear around my family in the evenings.  Luckily I only see my mom every couple of weeks.  Even when I'm not pregnant, I get a food baby by bedtime but it isn't nearly this big!

Sytera~ WAHM to Kale (4/9/05), Kace (7/20/07), & Baby K (with God May 2009, Sept 2010).
Little Star Creations- Etsy, Hyena Cart, Facebook, Blog
Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 PM

I found this on another board and I HAD to share!  :)  http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/you/the-exhibit/your-beginning/make-room-for-baby/interactive/ 

Old 02-18-2011, 10:15 PM

I'm finding the same thing.  With my first pregnancy I didn't start showing until around 21 weeks or later.  This time I have days where I look about 4 or 5 months pregnant and then days when I just look like I've gained a large spare tire.  One morning I walked into my sons gymnastics class and my friend, who knew already, whispered to me "You look pregnant"!  I'll be 12 weeks this Tuesday but I've already told all of my mom friends, I'm having a really hard time hiding it most days, normally my stomach is fairly flat so even the spare tire look is out of character for me, so I just gave up and told those that I'm around a lot.  There's only so many cold days when I can wear baggy hoodies and I discovered babydoll tops just make it worse.  On top of the belly my boobs are an entire cup size bigger already, I'm not a big person (5'0, 107 lbs normally) but I'm now up to a D cup!  DH loves it of course, but they're getting in my way, I feel like I have boulders on my chest!  Some of my friends mentioned, after I told them, that they had noticed that first and thought I had found some really amazing pushup bras. 

Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 PM

definitely have noticed this.  first thing in the morning, it's much smaller, and by bedtime it's grown quite a bit--even more if i've been on my feet alot during the day.  i know alot of it is bloating--but i tend to show early anyways.  there are days where i look like i'm 6 months pregnant, and i'm only 10 weeks lol.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

Old 02-19-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! That was *so* cool. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:

I found this on another board and I HAD to share!  :)  http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/you/the-exhibit/your-beginning/make-room-for-baby/interactive/ 

Old 02-19-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:

That is SO neat.

Loving mom to DS (05/08/10) expecting baby #2 in September 2011!

Old 02-20-2011, 02:55 AM

Thanks for sharing! I think I'm right at the point between 12/13 weeks except I have some extra love handles that make it look less attractive. redface.gif

Quote:

Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 AM

That was REALLY neat! I bookmarked it so I can show my husband. He is the only one rubbing my guts and cooing to the baby at this point. haha. It will give him a good idea WHY my digestion is sooo screwy right now.

Active self employed momma to my amazing son with down syndrome born 8/24/11, wife to the most amazing husband ever, expecting baby #2 on September 5th, 2012, exactly 1 year from my sons original due date. Currently sharing our crazy household with 1 house rabbit, 3 exotic lizards, 1 guinea pig...

Old 02-20-2011, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

I was feeling my belly yesterday and found this hard lump in a line near my pelvis.. I realized a few hours later it was CONSTIPATION that was so hard I could feel it palpitating my stomach. OUCH! Definitely with out bodies geared to extract as many nutrients as possible from our food constipation and thus abdominal bloating is more common.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I feel the same way. Part of the day my maternity pants fit and others they don't. Ulgh! I can't wait to get past this "fat" looking part of the pregnancy to the pregnant looking part of the pregnancy!

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:42 PM

My son starts swimming lessons in a couple weeks, which means I have to find a suit that holds this ever changing belly of fat in or try to pull of a pregnant look in one of my two pieces.  Not looking forward to either option.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:06 PM

Oh man, me too. Right now I just look thick as a brick! Not at all this cute round little bump...just thick right through the WHOLE middle! Fitting in some of the smaller banded maternity stuff and none of my pants at all. This is my 3rd baby and both of my other kids I didnt show till I was 5 months. What a change, but Im also a bit older and a bit heavier than I was then! :-)

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

With my last pregnancy I wore a cotton tank top over my bikini. I figure why not embrace the belly? I'm only pregnant for a very short time in the grand scheme of things ... and heck it's the best I'll look in a two piece ... well ... probably ever. Another option would be to wear a supporting maternity tank in a matching color to a two piece bottom ... kind of the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfy View Post

My son starts swimming lessons in a couple weeks, which means I have to find a suit that holds this ever changing belly of fat in or try to pull of a pregnant look in one of my two pieces.  Not looking forward to either option.

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:32 AM

No! I'm the same way, my belly comes and goes...don't worry, my doctor told me it's just gas and bloating. Give it a little more time and you won't have a "come and go" belly anymore! Congrats on the little one! <3

Old 02-27-2011, 11:47 AM

I started taking digestive enzymes with my food and now I am not constipated at all, which means nothing bump like at all. I do look a little thicker in the middle, like I gained weight awkwardly though. I have had several people doubt my pregnancy, because I "don't look pregnant". I did have to size up on my speedo swimsuits for my 3x a week swim sessions though as my boobs were popping out the top of them.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfy View Post

Im starting swimming tomorrow. I shopping for a suit today...boy that was fun. NOT. Mainly because Im short and not so narrow. Motherhood was a fiasco, if the bottoms fit, the tankini top is way too big and visa versa. I found something cute and functional at Target. The top holds everything in and the bottom has a very tiny skirt so you cant see blatently if ones thighs resemble a sausage! LOL! ;-)

Old 03-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Yesterday I was getting dressed for work and the first outfit I put on just looked unflattering, not pregnant at all. I'm very slender usually. I put on a different dress instead and two customers asked me about my pregnancy just from the look of my belly! haha I love that, I try and find clothes that, uum, enhance the baby bump.

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
Old 03-04-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareseatoats View Post

Yesterday I was getting dressed for work and the first outfit I put on just looked unflattering, not pregnant at all. I'm very slender usually. I put on a different dress instead and two customers asked me about my pregnancy just from the look of my belly! haha I love that, I try and find clothes that, uum, enhance the baby bump.

I hear that! Otherwise I just feel like Im frumpy. Im short and short waisted so I dont have that slinky slender middle with the cute little belly popping out on the bottom. I just look thick like I eat way too much cake. HAHA! Soon so soon that will pass though, baby number three shows so fast! My second I didnt show till I was 4-5 months. Im already in maternity clothes. :-)

User Tag List