Gross taste in mouth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-21-2011, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone else have a gross taste in their mouth? It is my latest nausea and digestion symptom.  It almost taste like their is mold growing in the back of my mouth. EWWW!  I wonder if it could be candida/thrush or just an annoying pregnancy symptom? 

Admitting I haven't been the best at oral hygiene mostly because it is a trigger for gagging and almost throwing up. Maybe I should pick it up a little.

Radical student midwife and doula. Expecting our first lovebug 9/2011
#2 of 13 Old 02-21-2011, 10:15 PM

I don't know what it could be, I would make an appointment with your dentist, but in the mean time, try Listerine, or another mouth wash and see if that helps?

#3 of 13 Old 02-22-2011, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I do have a nasty taste in my mouth too. Had it with my last pregnancy. Try chewing gum with Xylitol. Cuts down on bacteria.

I haven't been the best at oral hygeine for the same reason, but the gum helps alot.

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#4 of 13 Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I am going to try the xylitol gum. Last night I gargled with salt water and that seemed to help.  I also read online about gargaling with baking soda water, I am going to try that too.

Radical student midwife and doula. Expecting our first lovebug 9/2011
#5 of 13 Old 02-22-2011, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ohh - havent heard that one before. Def gonna try the baking soda too!

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#6 of 13 Old 03-01-2011, 08:50 AM

Another suggestion...are you taking prenatal vitamins?  some brands leave a bad taste in the mouth, or bad burps.  You can try taking the vitamins at night...it could help!

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

#7 of 13 Old 03-03-2011, 11:06 AM

I get lots of gnarly tasting saliva...I was eating certs for a while which really helped until I realized that they were giving me horrible diarrhea! Oops. I guess it's the fake sugar?

#8 of 13 Old 03-07-2011, 11:04 AM

I get the gross taste every time I get morning sickness. I don't know what it is because it's there even after I brush, floss and gargle. I've been religiously keeping up with my dental hygeine because of the taste and it doesn't seem to be helping. Good luck.

Katie ~ Wife to Mr. Perfect and natural mommy to DD1, DS1, DS2, DD2, with Squishy coming in the fall.
#9 of 13 Old 03-07-2011, 11:13 AM

i have it too, but for me it tastes like metal and my mouth has so much saliva in it.  i feel like i'm constantly swallowing.  chewing gum has been helping me, too, but then it makes that much more saliva.  ugh!! 

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

#10 of 13 Old 03-07-2011, 04:30 PM

Probably not it, but there is something called metal mouth syndrome that is a kind of allergic reaction to something on pine nuts.  Only certain pine nuts cause it in certain people.

#11 of 13 Old 03-08-2011, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk98 View Post

i have it too, but for me it tastes like metal and my mouth has so much saliva in it.  i feel like i'm constantly swallowing.  chewing gum has been helping me, too, but then it makes that much more saliva.  ugh!! 

I don't have a link for this, but the taste of metal in your mouth is considered a symptom of pregnancy. I get a really bad taste in my mouth a lot, too. I chew gum but only a half piece, or else waaaay too much saliva for me, too. But the weirdest thing about the bad taste in my mouth is sometimes it's as if something suddenly appears in the back of my throat and I kind of cough/choke on it. If I am able to get it out it's like this teeny little off whiteish chunk. blush.gif It's so gross. One of my friends mentioned this a few years ago, but no one else seems to know what I'm talking about.

girl reading.gif absolutely in love with boy modifiedartist.gif.  DD loveeyes.gif (11/06) and DS luxlove.gif (08/11), and someone new in July stork-suprise.gif!
#12 of 13 Old 03-09-2011, 05:25 PM

That whitish chunk stuff is sometimes called tonsil stones, they grow in the back of one's throat and are relatively common.  I think I saw a thread on them here, but I don't remember where exactly.  I get them all the time, whether or not pregnant.

#13 of 13 Old 03-11-2011, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingon View Post

That whitish chunk stuff is sometimes called tonsil stones, they grow in the back of one's throat and are relatively common.  I think I saw a thread on them here, but I don't remember where exactly.  I get them all the time, whether or not pregnant.

Thank you so much! When I tried to explain it to DF he just looked at me like I was crazy.

girl reading.gif absolutely in love with boy modifiedartist.gif.  DD loveeyes.gif (11/06) and DS luxlove.gif (08/11), and someone new in July stork-suprise.gif!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page