Just sharing my "miracle cure" for constipation - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 02-25-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, so i had been looking really pregnant lately because I was soooo constipated, despite my high fiber vegan diet and daily probiotics and 2 glasses kombucha (fermented tea chock full of probiotics and touted for its digestion enhancing properties). Sorry if its a little TMI, but I wanted to share in case it might help someone else.  I started taking digestive enzymes with every meal a few days ago and low-and-behold, I haven't been constipated... in the least, in fact I feel like ummm... I'm doing better than before I was pregnant. I am taking these suckers from our local "Super Supplements" store but they also have them at our local natural store too. http://www.supersup.com/Enzymedica-digest-30-VegetarianCapsules.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=pfeed&utm_term=670480981139&utm_campaign=gb

I did some research and didn't find anything that would indicate you cant take them when your pregnant, though I could be wrong. My naturopath thought they would be fine too. I don't think this is the only effective brand, as there are a lot of digestive enzymes out there and Im many will work just as well. It also may not work for everyone, but I figure it might be worth a shot, right? I started out taking one at the beginning of my biggest meal of the day, whenever that is, and then upped it to the start of two meals, and now after 5 days of taking it, I'm taking it with every meal.

Just thought Id share. I can't be the only one suffering from this! Feel free to share any tips or tricks you have found that help too.

Active self employed momma to my amazing son with down syndrome born 8/24/11, wife to the most amazing husband ever, expecting baby #2 on September 5th, 2012, exactly 1 year from my sons original due date. Currently sharing our crazy household with 1 house rabbit, 3 exotic lizards, 1 guinea pig...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-25-2011, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

awesome - thanks so much for the tip! i'll totally try this! 

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

#3 of 6 Old 02-25-2011, 12:11 PM

I've been taking digestive enzymes with this pregnancy as well as with the last one.  I started taking them because i had my gallbladder out between my 2nd and 3rd children.  Digestion is fine, but as soon as i become pregnant I can't digest fats, proteins, and carbs very well.  I watch what I eat for the most part and only take them if I'm eating on the no-go list.  yummy.gif

Love tocrochetsmilie.gifand have way to much yarn!   teapot2.GIF is always on at my place.  
Wife familybed1.gif, momma femalesling.GIF, teacher homeschool.gif and all that is inbetween to A b. 31/12/04,  W b. 27/10/06vbac.gif,  V b 17/01/09hbac.gif, and     G b. 09/09/11hbac.gif

#4 of 6 Old 02-25-2011, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I take the pb8 14 billion pro biotics as well. I get them from the coop we do. I started taking them before I was pregnant to help boost gut flora and immunity for the winter. I haven't had constipation issues but I figured that was from the cal/mag supplement I take to help me sleep. Magnesium makes your poo loose as a side effect. smile.gif

I'm glad you found something that works for you and you are feeling good!

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#5 of 6 Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 AM

I just wanted to thank you for this suggestion. I bought some digestive enzymes yesterday as well as the liquid calcium/mag which I took last time too (thanks for the reminder on that!!) and it seems to have really helped. Thank goodness.

#6 of 6 Old 02-28-2011, 06:00 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I just bought them and they should arrive tomorrow. I have been a vegan for 13 years and never once have been constipated until week 10. My mid wive recommend over the counter Coolace's but they haven't seemed to work after 72 hours. I hope to find relief soon. I have lost 10lbs already and have been sick with morning sickness all day. I am wondering what my body will do next. The baby is healthy and growing, I am just sick. Katie in New Orleans

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page