How are the nursing mamas doing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know I'm not the only one on here still nursing a baby! 

ds (who just turned 1) is still nursing several times a day, and several times at night.  I still have a pretty good milk supply, and surprisingly haven't had a lot of the pain, itchiness that I've experienced with nursing while pregnant in the past (because dd was much older, perhaps?)  Ds really doesn't like my right side much anymore; my left has always been the better producer, and has definitely a larger supply.  Once in a while he gets mad while nursing, but doesn't seem to complain too much...naking in fact :)

I'm shocked at how well it's going so far, and waiting for it to get bad, I guess...I had a very strong urge to wean dd when I only a few weeks along.  I have no desire to wean (yet) and starting to seriously consider the possibility of tandem nursing!

For those of you still nursing an older child, how are you holding up, emotionally and physically?

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In my past pregnancies my kids decided they were done in the 20ish week marks. Only one decided to go back to nursing once the baby came. Right now my little is 2 years and 5 months and she's only nursing at bedtime and only for a few minutes. I don't think I've had any milk in quite a while. Before this pregnancy I was pg but miscarried at 10 1/2 weeks and dd had started going down to the once a day nursing, so I think she's had a very gradual weaning off the milk. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she quits all together soon. I'm not nearly as sore in this pg while nursing as I have been in others past.

In other pregnancies as I got further along I noticed that I was actually less sore the more often I nursed. The hormones released while nursing helped take away some of the pain in my nipples, but when I'd go for longer stretches of time w/o nursing, it was more painful.

Anyway, I'm not doing too bad and only a tad bit sore in my nipples and I'm pretty sure I've got nadda in the milk department. smile.gif But I didn't really expect much with only a once a day nursing, ya know?

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

Old 03-01-2011, 10:29 AM

I am pretty sure I still have some milk, but I have a feeling my supply is starting to drop as my DS (2 in 2wks!) is starting to unlatch himself and roll over and go to sleep (YEAH!)...as well he doesn't seem to be swallowing as much.  The nipple pain is horrible while he is nursing....definitely not a relaxing experience....

My older son nursed through my entire pregnancy (and beyond), not sure if this little guy is going to hold out through the whole pregnancy....part of me hopes he does and part of me dreams of only nursing one baby....only time will tell....

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boys Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (3) and ??? due November
Old 03-01-2011, 11:45 AM

My MW asked me to consider weaning b/c I am not getting enough nutrition being as sick as I am.

A week later, my milk went bye-byes anyway, but he is still nursing for comfort every 2 or 3 days.

He would do it more if he could, but the pain is too much. Plus I think if I ever want to wean him, nows my chance. I can feel the strain it is putting on our relationship, and the sadness it is causing him. I'm having a particularly hard time dealing with that right now.

But with my nutritional problems, sleep deprivation and his allergies I don't think it would be healthy for me to tandem nurse when the new baby comes.

:-(

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
Old 03-01-2011, 04:39 PM

My DS, who is almost 10 months is still nursing 6-7 times a day.  I know my supply has dropped.  I'm not sure how much milk I have, although I do still have milk.  DS is still completely interested and may just be nursing for comfort at times.  The mornings are the hardest because he is super hungry and gets frustrated (I think) by the low supply.  The nipple pain is getting more bearable.     

Loving mom to DS (05/08/10) expecting baby #2 in September 2011!

Old 03-01-2011, 05:55 PM

I am still nursing my 3 year old DD who assures me there is still lots of milk. lol.gif

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 PM

I am no longer a nursing mama! Friday morning was our very last day. I have mixed emotions about the whole thing, but our relationship has just gotten more peaceful since then. I think it was the right decision despite the fact that it breaks my heart. 

Alas, I have always been a milk cow and I am still producing massive quantities of milk. By my second trimester of my first pregnancy I was able to spray milk across the room, so I'm not expecting it to leave any time soon. I'm hoping to supplement her diet with pumped milk, when we get a little further past the physicality of weaning.

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Sarah~~ View Post

....I have always been a milk cow and I am still producing massive quantities of milk. By my second trimester of my first pregnancy I was able to spray milk across the room, so I'm not expecting it to leave any time soon....

So jealous!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWnewmom View Post

So jealous!

As with many things, it's a blessing and a curse...

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 AM

Still nursing my 13 month old and sometimes my three year old, though he's almost weaned. I fully expect the younger one to continue nursing and then I'll tandem like I've done the last few times.

Israel, mom to  DD, Ivy, 4-27-06 :and DS, Kai, 12-29-07 and DD, Lilith 2-1-10 and always remembering Alice fullterm stillborn 08/31/11 (unexplained placental abruption) 

Old 03-02-2011, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

My 14 month old still nurses ALL THE TIME! Like 20 times a day. The only time that's hard right now is in the am (like 4 am - 6 am) where she wants to drink drink drink and I don't seem to have much. The rest of the day I have lots of milk.

When I had lots of morning sickness my milk was definitely down. She started eating solids like crazy, and nursing less. But now that I'm eating and hydrating better she's back to normal (except that early morning craziness). I wish I could sleep after 4 am but when she's trying so hard for milk I just can't.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

i'm still nursing my 2.5-year-old DD, but not really enjoying it much :( ...i can't tell if my milk has changed, but she still nurses like normal and tells me how yummy it is. :) we nurse 3x/day - nap time, bed time, and when waking up. lately, she spends an hour just moving from one breast to the other, and it drives me nuts. i'm trying to shorten nursing times to 15 minutes, but it's not easy! she's very driven...

anyway, i still have a ton of pain at latch-on, and i hope that gets better soon...i do think that besides the painful latch, nursing is actually helping w/nausea and breast tenderness.

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

Old 03-03-2011, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

My 16 mo old is still nursing day & night. I haven't noticed any changes at all yet & still have milk. I expect it to disappear sometime in my 2nd trimester. And my nipples to feel like fire in the 3rd. Wahoo!

:P

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 03-05-2011, 09:45 AM

My 14 month old hasn't missed a beat, but I know the milk supply has.  It took a dive when i got my period back at 8 months PP so I'm not surprised now that I'm not taking any supplements for it.  Nipples are a little sore, still waiting for the 3rd trimester of misery!  I would really like to get him weaned at night which I know is always harder than during the day when I can distract.  We'll see....

IBCLC, student midwife, and co-sleeping, delayed/no vax, extended breastfeeding, homeschooling Momma to M(8), A(6), R(4)vbac.gifafter 2 c/s, J(2) hbac.gifand M (09/11)nocirc.gif

Old 03-05-2011, 10:05 AM

I thought of weaning my 18 month old, but he will have nothing to do with it. It is ok though.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:21 PM

I weaned my daughter (who had just turned 3) right after I found out I was pregnant. Mainly because it was excruciating to nurse and I had already planned to wean her at/near after 3 yrs. My son also nursed til 3 years so I had imagined I would give her the same. It went remarkably smoothly!! She had only been nursing 1-2 times a day for the past year at least so it wasn't a big deal to introduce substitutes (in this case, a scintillating ongoing bedtime story about the bunny family that lives in our backyard). :)  Since she was nursing so little I had no issues whatsoever with engorgement, which surprised me. My milk just went away very gradually and I think that now, for the first time in 5.5 years, my body is not producing any milk. Wow. It is nice to have a break before the next one, I think my body was somewhat depleted as I was underweight and had some slight deficiencies - so I need that energy for this new babe.

Heather

Old 03-27-2011, 05:41 PM

Hey nursing mamas!

I just wanted to update the thread to say that my DD weaned yesterday at 3 years, 3 months. partytime.gif It was a mother-led but child-cooperative effort. It had gotten really painful to nurse her, and I was not ok with it. She got a weaning cake and I am done nursing for a few months!

I nursed for 5 years, 1 month, with 18 months of that tandeming. I am glad to have a break, lol!

How are the other nursing mamas doing? Y'all hanging in there?

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

Old 03-28-2011, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Still going strong here...in fact, nursing has increased as of late...and I don't think my milk has changed one bit throughout this pregnancy! I thought it would, for some reason...? 

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 AM

DS is still finding comfort form nursing but he is not finding any milk. It seemed to disappear about 2 weeks ago (while he had the flu, of all times). We were both very disappointed. He only asks now 2 or 3 times a day.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

Old 03-29-2011, 10:18 AM

My 4-year-old nursed (with a "nudge" from me) at the very beginning of the pregnancy.  My 19-month-old continues to nurse regularly, but no longer nurses at night.  Sometimes I nurse her to sleep at night, other nights my husband puts her to bed, but if she wakes in the night, my husband just snuggles her up and she goes right back to sleep (if I try to do it, she insists on nursing).  

My milk supply is definitely reduced pretty drastically, but it doesn't deter her from nursing and it's not uncomfortable for me.  It's working out pretty nicely for us.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

My 2 1/2 year old is hit or miss now on nursing.  She was only nursing at night to sleep for the past 6 months or so but now she's starting to skip nights nursing.  Last night she snuggled with me and fell asleep and didn't even ask.  She did the same thing 2 nights ago.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 AM

Still going strong here with my 10.5 mo. old.  He nurses about 6+ times a day.  I am planning on tandem nursing as soon as LO #2 arrives and it looks good so far.  I'm not sure how my supply is, but DS has really increased his solid intake over the last 2 months so I assume it's gone down.  DS doesn't seem to mind except for first thing in the morning.  It's still pretty painful but I'm cringing less each time.     

Old 03-30-2011, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparkly View Post

DS is still finding comfort form nursing but he is not finding any milk. It seemed to disappear about 2 weeks ago (while he had the flu, of all times). We were both very disappointed. He only asks now 2 or 3 times a day.

DS came down with a cold and was so congested he couldn't nurse. The constant latch and unlatch left me in agonizing pain. I was already night weaning him so we could move him to his own bed, but the cold ended up meaning day weaning too. I'm really sad about it and it's been pretty rough for him. I keep telling him, it's not his fault, mommy's sore and snuggle him. He still paws at me every now and again, but without nursing while he had the cold, I pretty much dried up. :o( He'll be 20 months this week.  Right now I'm thinking about letting him "unwean" if he shows interest after the baby arrives.

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Ds is still nursing 2-3 times a day. Usually just to go to sleep, but sometimes he just climbs in my lap and asks for "monkey" (i.e. milky, lol). My nipples are so sore that my shirt brushing them is excruciating, so you can imagine the pain at latching. I really don't want to wean, unless he wants to, so we're keeping on! :)

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJennifer View Post

Ds is still nursing 2-3 times a day. Usually just to go to sleep, but sometimes he just climbs in my lap and asks for "monkey" (i.e. milky, lol). My nipples are so sore that my shirt brushing them is excruciating, so you can imagine the pain at latching. I really don't want to wean, unless he wants to, so we're keeping on! :)

Keep it up! I still would be if it hadn't been for that darned cold. <sniffle>

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:40 PM

I'm still nursing my DD who is 22 mos. I'm in so much pain though. I have night weaned her and we are down to 5-6x a day but its still too much. I'm trying to gently wean her but I have no idea how I can get it down from 5-6x a day. She is very determined and knows what she wants. I feel horrible. Tonight I started nursing her before bed and I couldn't do it for more than 4 minutes. I had to unlatch her and she started crying, and I started crying. I had to have my husband switch with me since I knew I was a mess. I feel like such a failure. I would nurse her more if I could but I just can't and I find I'm getting angry which isn't healthy at all. I don't know what to do anymore. I should be happy because until a month ago I was nursing at least 12x a day and before that we were around 20+ a day. I just don't know why I can't handle it anymore. Sorry for ranting, this just happened and I'm feeling pretty low.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus_J View Post

I'm still nursing my DD who is 22 mos. I'm in so much pain though. I have night weaned her and we are down to 5-6x a day but its still too much. I'm trying to gently wean her but I have no idea how I can get it down from 5-6x a day. She is very determined and knows what she wants. I feel horrible. Tonight I started nursing her before bed and I couldn't do it for more than 4 minutes. I had to unlatch her and she started crying, and I started crying. I had to have my husband switch with me since I knew I was a mess. I feel like such a failure. I would nurse her more if I could but I just can't and I find I'm getting angry which isn't healthy at all. I don't know what to do anymore. I should be happy because until a month ago I was nursing at least 12x a day and before that we were around 20+ a day. I just don't know why I can't handle it anymore. Sorry for ranting, this just happened and I'm feeling pretty low.

I know this feeling, and just wanted to send you understanding and comfort, nursing mama! Though both my kids are weaned now, I tandemmed through the second pregnancy and for many months afterwards, and it was such a seesaw of emotions for me. The feeling of "being a failure" when you can't meet your older child's needs through breastfeeding is really familiar to me. It felt like I should be able to just grit my teeth through the pain-- though really it was less pain than a weird kind of panicky claustrophobia when nursing that would drive me insane-- and give her what she needed because I'm the grownup, darn it!  But looking back, I wish I had seen how it impacted our relationship for me to nurse in discomfort and (often) resentment. I'm glad I kept nursing, as I think it eased her acceptance of her brother when he came, but it would have been good had I been able to balance our needs a little earlier, and set limits that would have mitigated my discomfort. Eventually we did start to limit it with "only in the special chair" and "do you want ABCs song nursies or count-to-20 nursies?" which helped a lot... She self-weaned happily at about three and a half, and by that time we had developed so many other ways of being close, it was totally okay. Rocky road getting there, though.

The book 'Adventures in Tandem Nursing' was really really helpful too, in case you hadn't seen it. Very supportive with lots of good suggestions for dealing with all kinds of issues.

Hope things are looking up for you today. Sometimes it's just so hard being the center of a toddler's world and pregnant at the same time. 

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:00 PM

Well I have a little thrush on one nipple now. What the heck? I take tons of probiotics every day and haven't had a lot of sugar, carbs, or fruit lately. Aaahhhgg!

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    

User Tag List