What kind of exercise are you doing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 03-02-2011, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I noticed the exercise motivation thread was sadly abandoned. I thought Id re open the topic to see what everyone is up to for activity and help keep each other motivated. For those of us stuck in the "tundra" of winter, finding the motivation and place to do it can be a challenge!

I joined a prenatal yoga class and I'm going to check out the community center for use of the pool tomorrow!

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#2 of 29 Old 03-02-2011, 02:35 PM

Thank you for re-starting this, I have been thinking about it. I've been doing some walking which is about all I can do for now with my schedule. I automatically get in 20 minutes just walking to and from work each day so that's good. I have a yoga video but it's exceedingly mellow, more for a good stretch than anything. I think spring is finally arriving here in colorado so it's been easier to get outside. I am one who is always cold and I hate nothing more than being out in the cold even if I am well bundled!

I don't love swimming that much but in the past have really enjoyed getting in the water (and getting the weight of the baby off my aching joints!) in the third trimester. So if my schedule permits I might attend a class in the late summer.

#3 of 29 Old 03-03-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Went for a tour of my local Community Center today and I was so impressed with everything they have to offer! I was a little concerned about affording such a luxury but lucky me-they have a March special-25% off for the year! I got a week free pas and spent 40 minutes in the pool! Yippe! And wow, I am so out of shape! Terrible I tell ya! But I was able to take my time doing slow laps and use a "noodle" to do some exercises. They also have an indoor track and a lot of family oriented activities so I am very excited to join and keep active! Id love to hear about what any other momma's are doing too!!! :-)

#4 of 29 Old 03-03-2011, 12:56 PM

Currently I am just doing a prenatal yoga class once a week... I stand and walk at work all day (Whole Foods) so I feel that helps and Im usually pretty physically exhausted just from that! Sometimes I'll walk my dogs for about a half hour, but that doesn't happen everyday.. I definitely feel like I should be doing more... maybe I'll check out the local indoor pool ... I heard there is a 95 degree pool, thats not too hot right? 

Fiancee to my sweetie Mattie heartbeat.gif, bonus mama to his little one Ayaa Rose (7!) lady.gif , and mama to rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cassidy Faye, born 9/5/11~

#5 of 29 Old 03-03-2011, 02:09 PM

I did some scottish country dancing with my MIL the other night, but need to get back into an exercise routine.  I have been thinking about getting on the elliptical again and seeing how long I can go.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#6 of 29 Old 03-03-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamareba View Post

Currently I am just doing a prenatal yoga class once a week... I stand and walk at work all day (Whole Foods) so I feel that helps and Im usually pretty physically exhausted just from that! Sometimes I'll walk my dogs for about a half hour, but that doesn't happen everyday.. I definitely feel like I should be doing more... maybe I'll check out the local indoor pool ... I heard there is a 95 degree pool, thats not too hot right? 

No that's fine. I found this:

As long as the water temperature isn't over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. If you have to ease your foot into the tub, it's too hot. If you're comfortable getting into the water, the temperature is close to your own body temperature, which is where you want it. Anything hotter can damage your baby's developing cells, and though you can cool off by sweating, your baby can't.

That makes sense to me. The pool I went to is in the low 80s and it actually felt cool to me. I was wishing it was hotter. I really enjoyed it though! I felt alive and refreshed! And I'm no athlete either, I went one way in a kind of breast stroke meets doggie paddle (sad, so sad. lol) and the other way on my back and had to stop in between. Then I do a few exercises with a "noodle" in between. It just felt great to be weightless in the water. I get really whooped at work too in the OR but its not the same as a straight 30 minutes of cardio.

Let us know if you do it and how it goes! :-)

#7 of 29 Old 03-18-2011, 08:55 AM

I had been out of commission due to a pulled calf muscle, but I am back teaching group fitness classes.  I am definitely wiped when I am done, but I need some kind of exercise to keep up with my massive appetite.  LOL! 

Christine belly.gifmarried to Cody.superhero.gifMom to Orion (8) guitar.gif, Lourdes (6) love.gif and Britton (3)biggrinbounce.gif.  Expecting someone new September 2011. stork-suprise.gif
#8 of 29 Old 03-18-2011, 09:56 AM

I second what Dlynn said about the pool temp... I've heard as long as it doesn't make your body temp rise, you're good. 

I've been doing a prenatal workout DVD.  It was a salsa dance section and yoga fatburn (which is NOT relaxing at all, very upbeat and a lot of squats), along with some stretching segments.  I'm trying to do that at least three times a week for about thirty to forty minutes.  I also want to add in some weights for my arms, and walking now that the weather is nice.  My MIL has been at my house for the past three weeks, so finding the time and space to do it has been difficult. 

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#9 of 29 Old 03-18-2011, 11:00 AM

I have Shiva Rea's prenatal yoga DVD (Gaiam).  It's very nice and feels great, but it's not a killer workout or anything, so I've been alternating with dog walking...  except, that made me realize I've changed my posture ALREADY, and thus if I walk to far too fast (doggie and I get carried away if the weather isn't freezing!) my lower back kills for the evening.

I also ordered a prenatal workout video that was very highly recommended on Amazon - The Perfect Pregnancy Workout Vol. 1.  It features a former Cirque du Soliel acrobat!   It looks great but a little intimidating (prob b/c of the acrobat thing), so I've been too chicken to try it yet.  Our weather this weekend isn't supposed to be great so hopefully I'll get the nerve up to give it a go.

Back to the yoga DVD, I've done yoga for 10 years, so I may be a little biased when I say it isn't a tough workout.  In any event, this is a GREAT disc.  After the very first time I did it I felt fantastic, better than I have in 15 weeks.  Full of energy.  She does a lot of side body stretching; it really loosens up your back and abdomen.  I highly recommend it just because it really makes you feel so darn good. 

cd.gif   trekkie.gif   hang.gif     dog2.gif
#10 of 29 Old 03-18-2011, 11:10 AM

Ive been swimming at least 1-2 times a week for at least 1200 yards, walking on our incline trainer that simulates hiking for 30 minutes a day alternating running with steep incline "hiking", when the weather is nice actually hiking with the husband, weight lifting/strength training 2x a week, and riding my horses 3-4 times a week. I am a very active person. I at least try to do 1-2 of these each day. I always feel my best when I do. I realize that it isnt for everyone, but its what Im used to. Im planning a home birth so Im trying to be as healthy and strong as possible.

Active self employed momma to my amazing son with down syndrome born 8/24/11, wife to the most amazing husband ever, expecting baby #2 on September 5th, 2012, exactly 1 year from my sons original due date. Currently sharing our crazy household with 1 house rabbit, 3 exotic lizards, 1 guinea pig...

#11 of 29 Old 03-18-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

WOW! Do it while you can Momma, before you know it life will change and you'll be doing baby lifts! Very impressive and fortunate that you have the time to fit in all that healthy stuff! Once the baby comes you will find many ways to incorporate the little tyke into your active lifestyle. And you will probably be back in your regular clothes right away! nut.gif Just make sure your getting enough calories if your burning that much a day, baby will not get its nutrition without it!

#12 of 29 Old 03-20-2011, 03:29 AM

Anyone using a rowing machine?
#13 of 29 Old 03-20-2011, 12:21 PM

I've been doing my ellipitical for 5 days a week.  Sometimes its so hard to get the motivation to do it, but its so worth it in the end.  We are going on a 3 week beach holiday and I'm trying to get my legs in better shape after lazing around for the first trimester.

#14 of 29 Old 03-22-2011, 05:35 AM

I bought a new prenatal yoga dvd this weekend, but haven't tried it yet.  I hope to try it this afternoon.  I plan on alternating with my other dvd which has salsa and yoga fatburn.  That'll give me three workouts to switch between - I need variety or I get bored! 

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#15 of 29 Old 03-22-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

I tried posting this earlier but it didnt get up there. Hmmm...anyway, my yoga teacher tells us that there are many poses that you shouldn't do while pregnant, especially after 20 weeks. Apparently some can compress the vena cava or put additional stress on the body while pregnant. Maybe phase into the prenatal yoga by 20 weeks?

namaste.gif

#16 of 29 Old 03-22-2011, 10:07 AM
L J

I've been swimming laps every day, because its actually hot enough here now to swim. I figure we'll get another cold spell, but I'm going to take advantage while I can. I want to find a prenatal yoga class, but I have no idea what to do with my 4 year old while I do it. We have been going hiking at the lake almost every day, too. So, not structured exercise, but I feel quite exhilerated after doing it. I started this pregnancy with way too much weight left over from the last one, and I want to make sure I keep up my muscle mass while I'm gaining even more. 

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#17 of 29 Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 AM

I run several times a week and do some walking and yoga - already feeling my legs are TIRED and might cut back on the running a bit....

#18 of 29 Old 03-22-2011, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post

I've been swimming laps every day, because its actually hot enough here now to swim. I figure we'll get another cold spell, but I'm going to take advantage while I can. I want to find a prenatal yoga class, but I have no idea what to do with my 4 year old while I do it. We have been going hiking at the lake almost every day, too. So, not structured exercise, but I feel quite exhilerated after doing it. I started this pregnancy with way too much weight left over from the last one, and I want to make sure I keep up my muscle mass while I'm gaining even more. 

Nice! Don't you love swimming? I try and go as much as I can but the dumb work thing gets in my way! I do Yoga on either Saturday morning or Monday nights. That way either my DH has the kids or if it falls on their natural fathers weekend I don't have to worry. See if you can find a class during a time where your family can help? If not then I think your doing a great job keeping active! bouncy.gif

Everything going well this pregnancy?

#19 of 29 Old 03-23-2011, 05:10 AM

Anyone have pelvic bone grinding?
What excersices can you do?
I'm off to get some kind of support belt today, prescribed by my midwife for this. The pain is worse when I excersice but I am committed to it. I read if you excersice during pregnacy the you child even as an adult has less overweight issuses. I have to manage my weight. Anything I can do for my child around this issuse I will do.
#20 of 29 Old 03-23-2011, 10:48 AM

Hi - I wanted to give an update on the DVD's I ordered.

I HIGHLY recommend the Shiva Rea - Gaiam Prenatal Yoga DVD.  It is extremely relaxing and relieves many aches and pains.  @Ttarail, I've been having lots of lower back pain, and this video really helps it.  I don't know about pelvic bone grinding, but I can say that this is a very gentle workout and might be a good start or something to use in combination with other exercise for you if you're feeling like you want more exercise but are in pain.  I know that it is helping me - I can go for a walk knowing that if it makes my back hurt, I can go through the yoga DVD and feel better.

I would absolutely NOT recommend the Perfect Pregnancy Workout Vol. 1 video to anyone except those who were extremely fit prior to pregnancy.  It is hard and discouraging.  I cried by the end.  it just made me feel like a total out of shape loser, like I wouldn't be able to handle labor.  The beginner level is just not "dumbed down" enough to give you a chance to build up strength.  I'm all for pushing yourself, but there is a point where you're just exposing yourself to injury.   Also, I don't think it offered enough modifications for third trimester bellies.  And even though it's a DVD and the work out has distinct segments, it has no menu to allow you to just do the squatting segment, for example, or the abs. 

All that aside, if anyone out there happens to be a preggo fitness buff and would like to have this video, I would love to pass it along.  You will have to pinky swear to me that you are super fit, though - I don't want to be responsible for more tears and stress mecry.gif

Anyway, I am actively seeking recommendations for other DVDs that might be a bit more challenging than the Gaiam Yoga, but not completely out of my league.  Another prenatal yoga video would be great.  Anyone have a favorite?

Namaste!

s

#21 of 29 Old 03-23-2011, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I get to do good old fashioned house work.  With all the snow melting and the rain we've had our basement is flooded.  Yesterday hubby and I sucked water up out of the basement with a wet vac and then filled up 5 gallon buckets and carried them upstairs and outside to dump.  Repeat that about 200 times.  It's a full body workout along with cardio.  Some days it's carrying multiple wheel barrows full of wood to the basement to stack for our wood furnace or shoveling snow, other days it's spending an hour on hands and knees scrubbing the kitchen floor, either way, it's always a home grown workout.  :)  I'm in better shape since moving to the country and ditching the gym membership than I was going to the gym on a regular basis.  

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#22 of 29 Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 PM

I walk or do the elliptical 5x per week for about 40-45 minutes each time.  I did a similar routine in the past pregnancies and felt good up until birth...it all slowed down in the last month of course :)  Also lost weight pretty quick after baby keeping the same routine starting a few weeks after birth combined with breast feeding.  Happy exercising everyone! I believe that any amount you can manage is helpful.

Married to CH (2005) and mother to DS1 (6/2006), DS2 (8/2008) and DS3 Sept 22nd, 2011!   

#23 of 29 Old 04-26-2011, 07:30 PM

i'm jumping in her to revive (hopefully) this thread. i'm not a big exerciser, but this time around i feel so frumpy.  i have a belly already, but i feel like it's all flab and no baby-even though i know that's not entirely true :)

tomorrow, i'm off to the library to borrow a few exercise dvd's-cardio, pilates, etc.   i just don't know when to do them.  when do all of you exercise?  i sleep as late as i possibly can (7am) then shower and get dd ready for school.  then 2 days a week ds has school and we're out the door soon after dd.  i don't want to do it in the evening, so i guess mid-morning is the best time?  i am just still so tired, the thought of waking earlier is a turnoff.  maybe once i get going i won't be so exhausted.  isn't that the whole point, lol?

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

#24 of 29 Old 04-27-2011, 05:36 AM

I have some exercise dvds but I can't do any of them because of the pubic symphisis pain :( I was doing the elliptical or walking and lifting weights and it became too painful...the only thing I can do now is swimming. I like to go in the mornings though and I keep having things come up so I really need to get on that :(

#25 of 29 Old 04-27-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk98 View Post
  i just don't know when to do them.  when do all of you exercise? 

UGH, this is my main problem.  I would really like to go to prenatal yoga classes but in my area they are all either during the day or weeknights.  I work full time and I fear what would happen if I went to a yoga class at 6:30pm after work - get home at 8 and try and eat dinner?  I am so bloated and heartburny in the evenings, I would never sleep!  I have a yoga DVD but even squeezing that in after work usually results in me having so much heartburn and being so tired that I can barely feed myself after.

So, I decided to try to focus on getting out for a walk after work with the dog because if I start feeling poorly, I can always turn around and go home.   Yoga will have to be relegated to the weekends, unfortunately.

I WISH I could work out in the middle of the afternoon - I generally get fidgity a couple hours after lunch - but it's just not acceptable in my office to go for anything more than a quick walk.

#26 of 29 Old 04-27-2011, 07:12 AM

I've been dancing for the year and a half or so and just kept it up when I got pregnant. I'm doing tap, jazz, ballet and lyrical. I do 2 classes a night, so it's 2 nights during the week. My midwife told me that I can keep doing it as long as it feels good - and boy does it feel good! I have modified some pieces of it - I'm not doing big jumps, and skipping the crunches during warm-up. Some of the stretches I can't do anymore either.

My dance studio is great and offers many adult classes so my classes are filled with other moms or women of varying ages, and we all have a blast. I am really happy to have the "me" time during the week. I will have to modify some of my costumes for our recital in June to make room for my growing belly but that's ok with me. I don't think I'd be able to do it too far into the 3rd trimester though, so I'll be looking for some prenatal yoga or swimming classes at the local community centre.

#27 of 29 Old 04-27-2011, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I have stairs. And I'm forced to walk up & down them carrying my toddler or 3 yr old several times a day. That's about it. LOL

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#28 of 29 Old 04-27-2011, 01:10 PM

I've belly danced for years (since college actually, so longer than I care to admit) and I generally dance through my pregnancies (it's great for labor too!).  If you've never belly danced, it's a lot of fun and there are some specifically pre-natal dance dvds out there that are pretty good... it makes a nice change from the pre-natal yoga dvds that seem to be everywhere.  Though I enjoy those too!  :)  I also use the Walk at Home dvds, I just drop the intensity as needed so that I don't feel out of breath, and I use some of the Maternal Fitness/Lose the Mummy Tummy exercises since I do have a diastasis and try to keep it as small as possible during pregnancy.

As for when... that's the tricky bit!  LOL  My kiddos are 6yo, 3yo, 1.5yo and they all want my attention, all the time.  And after they're in bed I'm either wiped out or trying to spend time with dh.

The Walk at Home segments are each about 18 minutes long.  I've found that I can usually set the kiddos up with something (like starfall or a youtube play list of the wiggles on the computer) that will hold them that long.  We have Wai Lana yoga dvds and Yoga for Kids dvds and we can all do the routine together... it's not exactly pre-natal, but it's ok and since I try to have the kids do some yoga every day anyway and it's a two birds/one stone thing!  For belly dance, I'm not taking classes right now so I don't have an "official" schedule, but I actually do my regular warm up routine in the shower each night.  It probably takes 15 minutes and I know it's a bit of a waste of water, but it's kind of "just for me time" and the hot water feels soooooo good on sore muscles being stretched by the dance moves.  Oh, and then the Tupler Technique exercises (for the diastasis) I do while laying on the bed getting the kiddos to sleep or while driving the car (they're kind of like kegels since you can do them nearly everywhere).

It's not perfect, but it means I get about a half hour of "dedicated" exercise each day along with the "random" exercise that comes from chasing kiddos.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#29 of 29 Old 04-27-2011, 04:55 PM

I like to go in the mornings because then I can take a nap in the afternoon!

I have a membership to the local Y and it's fifty $ per month, which I consider a great deal because they have free child care for up to 2 hours every day while you're working out, plus they have tons of free classes for adults like spinning/dance/yoga/water aerobics.

Oh and I was in the military for five years so I got used to doing it in the mornings. Sometimes I would after work but nowadays I get hungry at like  4:30 since I'm pregnant and we are eating dinner earlier LOL!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page