Names, Names, Names! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 03-15-2011, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really like Hennesy, but I have a hard time getting past the alcohol connotation.  Where I teach, there are two twin boys named Tanqueray and Alize. . .
 Quote:

Originally Posted by cparkly View Post

I know sisters; Sativa and Hennesy.

Christine belly.gifmarried to Cody.superhero.gifMom to Orion (8) guitar.gif, Lourdes (6) love.gif and Britton (3)biggrinbounce.gif.  Expecting someone new September 2011. stork-suprise.gif
#32 of 58 Old 03-15-2011, 04:21 PM

Calvin. I really like that but DH says no. He likes Walker, Wade, Sawyer, Nathan...nothing is jumping out at me yet. Good thing we have 6 months! ;-) Yeah Hennessey is booze, its pretty, but too strong of a connection there.

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#33 of 58 Old 03-17-2011, 05:39 PM

Well, someone already bashed -den names, but we picked Aiden if its a boy. I don't care if not everyone likes it because it is a popular name because its our kid and our decision. It just felt right. My husband is Adam, and I am Allison. It is not that we want to do names that start with the same letters, but maybe we were a little prejudiced because we like the sound of "A" names. We have not yet picked out a girl name. We are going to do a 20 week ultrasound to find out the sex and make everything is ok for our HB and then pick a girl name if it turns out to be a girl.

Good luck naming! It seems to hard to name someone you have yet to meet!

Dlynn918 likes this.

Active self employed momma to my amazing son with down syndrome born 8/24/11, wife to the most amazing husband ever, expecting baby #2 on September 5th, 2012, exactly 1 year from my sons original due date. Currently sharing our crazy household with 1 house rabbit, 3 exotic lizards, 1 guinea pig...

#34 of 58 Old 03-18-2011, 01:47 PM

Allison, I think Aiden/Aidan is lovely and what's great about names is we each get to pick what we'll use so don't feel like you need to justify it or take a "bash" personally.  For me, it's not so much the popularity of Aidan, but in combination with the popularty of names like Brayden, Jaden, Hayden, Caden, etc. that keeps it off my list but obviously its a sound that rings nicely to a lot of peoples ears so take comfort in the fact that a lot of people will be in the same boat as you. We have received so many comments about our first son's name, people either love it or hate it and they feel no problem expressing that, even my in-laws who also can never remember his full name either so just consider this a good prep for life with babe smile.gif

We have still have a very long list, some of them are:  Henry, Finn (Finnegan and Finlay as well), Tavish, Owen, Rowan (Roan and Ronan, too), Shepherd, Angus, Mackenzie, Colm, Hamish, Walker, and Liam; and Esmé, Clementine, Lily, Violet, Poppy, Ruby, Carys, Finley, Rowan, Piper, Scarlett, Carys, Neve, Marlowe, Reese, Romy, Adelaide, and Liv. Our biggest problem is that for the most part we like the same names, so very few get the nice quick elimination that most couples go through with the exception of my one guilty pleasure - Aquinnah :)

#35 of 58 Old 03-18-2011, 06:41 PM
L J

This baby is Catherine, probably Catherine Diane or Catherine Leigh, if its a girl, and a boy we still aren't so sure. Working with a very ethnic last name, and a lot of great names just won't work. My top pick for a boy name is Oliver - DHs is Rafael. Ugh.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#36 of 58 Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by activealli View Post

Well, someone already bashed -den names, but we picked Aiden if its a boy. I don't care if not everyone likes it because it is a popular name because its our kid and our decision. It just felt right. My husband is Adam, and I am Allison. It is not that we want to do names that start with the same letters, but maybe we were a little prejudiced because we like the sound of "A" names. We have not yet picked out a girl name. We are going to do a 20 week ultrasound to find out the sex and make everything is ok for our HB and then pick a girl name if it turns out to be a girl.

Good luck naming! It seems to hard to name someone you have yet to meet!

I think Aiden is a beautiful, strong name!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#37 of 58 Old 03-18-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaclyn7 View Post

Allison, I think Aiden/Aidan is lovely and what's great about names is we each get to pick what we'll use so don't feel like you need to justify it or take a "bash" personally.  For me, it's not so much the popularity of Aidan, but in combination with the popularty of names like Brayden, Jaden, Hayden, Caden, etc. that keeps it off my list but obviously its a sound that rings nicely to a lot of peoples ears so take comfort in the fact that a lot of people will be in the same boat as you. We have received so many comments about our first son's name, people either love it or hate it and they feel no problem expressing that, even my in-laws who also can never remember his full name either so just consider this a good prep for life with babe smile.gif

My opinion on the "den" names wasn't a bash- Just me expressing my personal opinions on names.  I even stated later on that it's my personal preference and I honestly don't care what others name thier kids.  I love the name Aiden, but I simply won't give my child that name because of the reason she listed above.  When you already have 5 kids in your son's class with that name... yeah. 

A lot of people don't like my traditional names- feeling they are too plain and normal.  Okay and that's why we all get to name our children what we want :)

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#38 of 58 Old 03-19-2011, 07:15 AM

YAY!!  Finally got a boy name picked out!  :D  So now our baby will be named either Matthew Evan or Meredith Renee!!  <3

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#39 of 58 Old 03-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFanatik View Post

YAY!!  Finally got a boy name picked out!  :D  So now our baby will be named either Matthew Evan or Meredith Renee!!  <3

Very nice! Great choices!

#40 of 58 Old 03-19-2011, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post

This baby is Catherine, probably Catherine Diane or Catherine Leigh, if its a girl, and a boy we still aren't so sure. Working with a very ethnic last name, and a lot of great names just won't work. My top pick for a boy name is Oliver - DHs is Rafael. Ugh.

I don't know if you are interested....but I love Cate when spelled with a C. Will she go by Catherine..or use a nickname sometimes? I love the name Oliver!

#41 of 58 Old 03-19-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post

I don't know if you are interested....but I love Cate when spelled with a C. Will she go by Catherine..or use a nickname sometimes? I love the name Oliver!

Me, too!  I find it so much easier to come up w/ girl names I love :/

#42 of 58 Old 03-19-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFanatik View Post

Quote:

My opinion on the "den" names wasn't a bash- Just me expressing my personal opinions on names.  I even stated later on that it's my personal preference and I honestly don't care what others name thier kids.  I love the name Aiden, but I simply won't give my child that name because of the reason she listed above.  When you already have 5 kids in your son's class with that name... yeah. 

A lot of people don't like my traditional names- feeling they are too plain and normal.  Okay and that's why we all get to name our children what we want :)

I don't want to make this a big issue, but I used the word because the poster used "bashed" and by using quotations I was referring to that. I never meant to imply I thought that there was any bashing go on so I apologize if that was the case, especially since I made the same point as you but I was trying to respect her feelings and share my experience - comments will be made about ever name, so I don't take them too seriously smile.gif

On another note, so many great names here!
#43 of 58 Old 03-20-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaclyn7 View Post

I don't want to make this a big issue, but I used the word because the poster used "bashed" and by using quotations I was referring to that. I never meant to imply I thought that there was any bashing go on so I apologize if that was the case, especially since I made the same point as you but I was trying to respect her feelings and share my experience - comments will be made about ever name, so I don't take them too seriously smile.gif

On another note, so many great names here!

Sorry.  For some reason when I quoted it didn't include hers.  I was more trying to talk to HER (not you) and say that what you said is what I was talking about.  Sorry if it was misconstrued, lol.  Not trying to start anything, just was trying to show that I wasn't bashing names, you know?

#44 of 58 Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 AM

DDCC to say: there is one name that I have heard of that I would absolutely love to bash, and I mean bash.

Chlamydia. 

Yes, really.

I sure hope it's an urban legend, but I read that some misguided woman heard a nurse say it,  thought it sounded lovely and named her baby daughter that. bigeyes.gif

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#45 of 58 Old 03-21-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

DDCC to say: there is one name that I have heard of that I would absolutely love to bash, and I mean bash.

Chlamydia. 

Yes, really.

I sure hope it's an urban legend, but I read that some misguided woman heard a nurse say it,  thought it sounded lovely and named her baby daughter that. bigeyes.gif

Good lord!  I certainly hope that's urban legend.

#46 of 58 Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM

If we have a girl we've agreed on the name Madison, but boys names we're having such a hard time with! I love the names Oliver and Jackson but both have been nixed by DH. It seems that every boy's name I suggest he says "no" to, but he hasn't suggested any himself yet. We had Logan for a little while, but neither of us are totally in love with it although we do like it, it just doesn't feel as "right" as Madison does for us. I also like Gavin, Samuel and Joshua, but again DH doesn't agree. Luckily we have lots of time to come up with a boys name - and then the middle name has to be decided too! I'll be checking back here often to see if I can find any that both of us love. Tons of great ideas on here!

#47 of 58 Old 03-21-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

Chlamydia. 

Yes, really.

I've actually seen this "name" on some baby name sites...i can't even fathom why someone would ever even consider naming their baby that!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#48 of 58 Old 03-22-2011, 09:28 AM

A friend of mine once told me that her older sister was in lamaze class and someone else heard the word "Placenta" and decided that was a pretty name and that she was going to name her daughter that. No clue if she really did or not, but I've always thought how odd it would be to be named "Placenta".

Joyful wife to Jacob and mama to Eleanor. 

#49 of 58 Old 03-22-2011, 10:04 AM
L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post

That is exactly what we are going to call her! My middle name is Caitlin, and even though I don't necessarily feel like I need to name a child after me, I think keeping it with a "C" spelling will be pretty cool. I figured a name like Catherine will get shortened eventually, and I would rather go ahead and do it myself as Cate than her get stuck with Cathy later on.

#50 of 58 Old 03-22-2011, 08:11 PM

I'm late to jump in, and late to re-join mothering's community this pregnancy! 

But whomever said (wrote? typed?) the name Ruby....LOVE it!  LOVE it!  :)  I doubt dh would let me use it though...i'll run it by him later! 

Also love Beckett, but I'm a big  o'l Samuel Beckett fan from a 20th Century Brit Lit class I took in college. :)

Names dh and I are tossing around:

Simon

Archer

Arthur

Antonia

Caroline

Josephine

We like old names, classic names, etc. but it can't be too popular.  I was in *love* w/ Aiden back in college (which was probably inspired by Sex in the City), so I'm annoyed w/ how popular it has become (and what is with all the rhyming names?).  Oliver was our #1 boys name when I was pg w/ dd in 2009, and it's become too popular too.  Grrrrrr.  Oh well, there are plenty of names out there!!!

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#51 of 58 Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 PM
L J

DH is unbudgable on anything other than Rafael as the baby's first name if its a boy, but he agreed to Atticus as a middle name! He just will not go for Oliver. So, Rafael Atticus _____ Strange, Spanish last name that starts with N if its a boy. At least he'll have a literary middle name and another option to go by later in life.

learnlovebe - Simon and Caroline are particular favorites of mine, too! I love all of the ones on your list, though.

#52 of 58 Old 04-06-2011, 07:03 PM

I am having some difficulties here because since we found out it's a girl DH decided to go and look at baby names...

He is trying to veto my absolute first #1 choice ever, which is Phoebe :( I love that name and I just KNOW that our little girl is supposed to have it! I keep referring to her by this name though so maybe I am wearing him down a  little bit biggrinbounce.gif

He also vetoed Rowan, said it was too boyish. He likes Clover, the only other ones I like and haven't suggested yet are Maisie and...I just forgot lol! Must not have been that special!

#53 of 58 Old 04-07-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post

I am having some difficulties here because since we found out it's a girl DH decided to go and look at baby names...

He is trying to veto my absolute first #1 choice ever, which is Phoebe :( I love that name and I just KNOW that our little girl is supposed to have it! I keep referring to her by this name though so maybe I am wearing him down a  little bit biggrinbounce.gif

He also vetoed Rowan, said it was too boyish. He likes Clover, the only other ones I like and haven't suggested yet are Maisie and...I just forgot lol! Must not have been that special!

I love Phoebe!  I hope you win ;)

#54 of 58 Old 04-07-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

Calvin. I really like that but DH says no. He likes Walker, Wade, Sawyer, Nathan...nothing is jumping out at me yet. Good thing we have 6 months! ;-)

My son's name is Calvin, after his great-grandfather. Some people make comments about it being such an old-fashioned name, but I rarely hear anything negative. The worst one I got was, "Huh. A little blonde-haired boy named Calvin." I'm still trying to figure out what she meant by that. I love his name, not only because of the person it honors, but the fact that it is an uncommon name that's not "weird."

But I also like your husband's names, too. smile.gif

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#55 of 58 Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

My son's name is Calvin, after his great-grandfather. Some people make comments about it being such an old-fashioned name, but I rarely hear anything negative. The worst one I got was, "Huh. A little blonde-haired boy named Calvin." I'm still trying to figure out what she meant by that. I love his name, not only because of the person it honors, but the fact that it is an uncommon name that's not "weird."

But I also like your husband's names, too. smile.gif

I'm sure the person was referring to the comic strip, "Calvin and Hobbes".

#56 of 58 Old 04-07-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hck73 View Post

I love Phoebe!  I hope you win ;)

Thanks! smile.gif Right now he's annoyed with me badgering him about it so he said we'll "worry about it later this summer".
I'm hoping that he'll just give in after the birth LOL!

I think Calvin is a cute name for a boy! DH and I both love the comic...we have the complete set lol..

#57 of 58 Old 04-07-2011, 11:07 AM

You know, I even have some of the books, and I never think about Calvin & Hobbes.

In any case, I wouldn't take it negatively because Calvin is awesome smile.gif

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#58 of 58 Old 04-07-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

You know, I even have some of the books, and I never think about Calvin & Hobbes.

In any case, I wouldn't take it negatively because Calvin is awesome smile.gif

I agree :)  My husband and I often think we should've named our son Calvin :D

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page