Names, Names, Names! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 03-08-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

There was a post on the general pregnancy forum asking what names you loved but couldn't ever really use on a child, and I thought it was really fun, but I found myself wanting to know what the other September mamas thought! I also was wondering if anyone had names picked (that they wanted to share)

For a girl I love (but am probably too chicken to use)

Tabitha
Dinah
Lisel

For a Boy:

Dathan
Cott
Holden
Cash
Walker
Elvis
I like Edward, my dad's middle name. Just another thing Stephanie Meyer has ruined.
I wouldn't want to use either of these, but my great grandpas names were Schophous and Isador

DF and I have totally different taste in names. We each had a child coming into the relationship - His son is named Justin, my daughter is named Clementine. So you see what I mean. His number one name was Isaac and mine was Wade. Both got nixed for:

Malcolm (Mal)

or

Rosemary

We'll find out at the end of the month!

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 58 Old 03-08-2011, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm having a horrible time with names... for our first pregnancy (angel babies), we picked out Rebekah and David (after my sister and his brother)... then for this one we picked Jacob and Abigail, but then we saw that they were extra popular and we wanted names that were more unique, so I came up with a very, very long list and DP nixed all the boys names and almost all the girls names. I seriously wanted to strangle him after the seventeenth "no". 

So, I ended up picking a few that I like, that he didn't, but he DOES like the nicknames... so I still have no idea, but here are two choices: Henry and Bella... or Jackson and Violet.

I'm sure that will change frequently right up until we know the sex at the very least and maybe up until the baby is born.

Moo.

#3 of 58 Old 03-09-2011, 12:13 AM

My number one name choice is Jackson, "Jax" for short. DH isn't into that at all. I haven't even thought of girl names, because I really think it's a boy!
#4 of 58 Old 03-09-2011, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Liam Matthew for a boy and Ava Marie for a girl. I know..nothing too interesting, but I have had them on my list for years. It has just taken me years to have this baby.

Mommel likes this.
#5 of 58 Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 AM

I love the names Oliver and Audrey...but both fall into the too popular category right now...so I won't use them, I prefer to use less common names...

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#6 of 58 Old 03-09-2011, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My dh and I discussed this on the way home from the doctor today. I really want Ava. He really hates the name Ava. But I let him name the last baby Ryan, which is not a name I liked. He says let's just change Ryan's name..but I feel so dumb changing it. My dh likes Olivia. I like Olivia..sort of. But, I do not like the longer complicated names that people will shorten. I prefer 2 syllable names. I told dh that I like Signe an Sidney also. I also still like Maisy..he dislikes them all. I will make the final call, but I wish I liked a name he could like.

#7 of 58 Old 03-10-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post

My dh and I discussed this on the way home from the doctor today. I really want Ava. He really hates the name Ava. But I let him name the last baby Ryan, which is not a name I liked. He says let's just change Ryan's name..but I feel so dumb changing it. My dh likes Olivia. I like Olivia..sort of. But, I do not like the longer complicated names that people will shorten. I prefer 2 syllable names. I told dh that I like Signe an Sidney also. I also still like Maisy..he dislikes them all. I will make the final call, but I wish I liked a name he could like.

I love Maisy!  That is on our list this time!

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#8 of 58 Old 03-10-2011, 03:18 PM

We've been both throwing around some names but haven't finalized anything yet.  We want unique but not off the wall.

Boys:  Jax, Dax, Chasin

Girls:  Taryn, Kyra

#9 of 58 Old 03-10-2011, 04:00 PM

We always have the toughest time coming up with boy names that we both agree on. DH likes names that I find to be very gladiator-like such as Thor (no offense to anyone who likes this name - I just don't). He also likes Italian gangster names like Guido (again, no offense). I'm just not into these because they seem to me like they're spewing testosterone with the force of a geyser. DH and I are big people (I'm 6'1" and he's 6'4") so our sons aren't going to have any problems with testosterone; I don't see the point in giving them a mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging, thick-necked name to boot.

For girl names we have no problems and have always had an easy time agreeing on them. My criteria for names, boy or girl, are that they can't be in the top 100 database. In fact, I don't want a name that will draw the attention of more than just my child should I shout it into a crowded playground. But it has to be a "real" name if you know what I mean. For the middle name, I like to go with something naturey. Our current DC are:
Damian Ashton
Hamilton Hart
Daisy Rain

The names we're considering for this one are Hazel Dawn for a girl and Kaspar Hail for a boy. It's still early so there's a good chance we'll change our minds a million times before Squishy is actually born.

Katie ~ Wife to Mr. Perfect and natural mommy to DD1, DS1, DS2, DD2, with Squishy coming in the fall.
#10 of 58 Old 03-10-2011, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post

My dh and I discussed this on the way home from the doctor today. I really want Ava. He really hates the name Ava. But I let him name the last baby Ryan, which is not a name I liked. He says let's just change Ryan's name..but I feel so dumb changing it. My dh likes Olivia. I like Olivia..sort of. But, I do not like the longer complicated names that people will shorten. I prefer 2 syllable names. I told dh that I like Signe an Sidney also. I also still like Maisey..he dislikes them all. I will make the final call, but I wish I liked a name he could like.

DDCcrashing to say that Ava is way too popular just now.  

Maisy and Sidney are okay. Signe will never get pronounced or spelled correctly.

#11 of 58 Old 03-10-2011, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenrootsmama View Post

My criteria for names, boy or girl, are that they can't be in the top 100 database. In fact, I don't want a name that will draw the attention of more than just my child should I shout it into a crowded playground. But it has to be a "real" name if you know what I mean. For the middle name, I like to go with something naturey.

I agree with you completely. DF loves names in the top 100 for some reason. I couldn't ever bring myself to use one. (Maybe Malcolm is... I certainly don't hear it though). For middle names I like to do something that has meaning to the family, my daughter's middle name is after my grandma, if we have a son it will be after my dad, etc.

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#12 of 58 Old 03-12-2011, 12:24 AM

We love Ruby Mae for a Girl and Beckett Thomas (yes, I know about Thomas Beckett but my husband wants the middle name to be his dad's  first name, I'm thinking it should be Lee which is MY dad's middle name)

My theory is that the name has to be something you love to say, because wow, do we say our DD's name ALOT!

Hope everyone is doing great!

A-

#13 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 12:08 PM

i can't narrow down my list much at all--i always liked Zara and Asia for a girl, but this time i don't know.  i have no idea about boys names. 

here's a link to the list of names i have so far.  i figure if we find out the sex beforehand, that will eliminate half the list, and then i'll just see if there are ANY that BF likes.  that's how my ex and i picked out my other kids' names--i made a list of all the ones i liked, and he narrowed it down to what he liked--which usually was only one or two, lol.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9777304

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#14 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

DDCcrashing to say that Ava is way too popular just now.  

Maisy and Sidney are okay. Signe will never get pronounced or spelled correctly.

Can we make this a support only thread? I don't think any of us want people criticizing the names we choose.
Mommel likes this.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#15 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 01:18 PM

Yes I agree, no name bashing! Also, we need to be open to others using the names we post. No one can claim a name as only theirs. I'm fine with that...

Girl our top pick is Chloe and we are trying to find a C middle name because my DH loves CC as a nickname

We also like Nathan Sawyer for a boy...

still so early but it's fun to think of!

Mommel likes this.

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#16 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

Yes I agree, no name bashing! Also, we need to be open to others using the names we post. No one can claim a name as only theirs. I'm fine with that...

Girl our top pick is Chloe and we are trying to find a C middle name because my DH loves CC as a nickname

We also like Nathan Sawyer for a boy...

still so early but it's fun to think of!

Yes, I agree. I actually meant the point to be more of a "what names do you love but wouldn't be able to bring yourself to use on a human child" thread, but this is fun, too.

When I told a coworker our name picks she paused at Malcolm and said "Oh, no. I think you can do better". But she's dear and very outspoken and it didn't bother me because it feels very right.

Chloe Cathrine? (Is that how it's spelled?)

Chloe Calpurnia (I love Calpurnia. I realize it's an... unlikely choice)

There are so many great C names! The majority of girl names I like are C names. Clara is our other top pick for a girl.

Chloe is so pretty. I knew the sweetest little girl names Chloe. Her sister's name was Sadie, which is really cute, but I seem to know way too many dogs named Sadie.

#17 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 03:12 PM

Yeah me too! That's funny...there are lots of great names Id use for pets but not for people. It only matters if you and your partner like your name, so who cares, everyone else will get use to it in time. whistling.gif

Okay, just to be goofy what is the worst name you've ever heard?  Bound to offend someone here but I have to say it. "Breathe"...that boy will suffer if he ever enters the public school system! I went there cause I doubt anyone has ever heard it before...my luck mom will be on here!

Oh, off topic but how to you add one of those signatures at the bottom of the page where you list your name and family members?

#18 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Worst name ever - "Aryan Justice". Not kidding. I lived in Roseburg, OR for a while and there was a little girl named that. Breathe is terrible. I also used to work on school yearbooks and in one there was a girl named "Luscious Delight".

#19 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 03:27 PM

WOW. Those are HIDEOUS. Sorry folks but think about what those kids had to carry around? Back in the day I use to follow the Grateful Dead and I remember meeting a young couple on tour with a new born (couldn't fathom it then or now! tour was just so...dirty! beautiful in so many ways but not at all clean!) that named their baby "Indica Rose". I wonder if she now appreciates being names after mom and dads favorite strain of weed! LOL. Luckily she can just go by Rose! wild.gif

#20 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 05:20 PM

I know sisters; Sativa and Hennesy.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#21 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Sativa and Hennesy remind me of when I was a temp nanny and took care of brothers: Ajax and Hopper. The best thing is Hopper's best friend was really and truely named Chopper.

#22 of 58 Old 03-13-2011, 09:43 PM

Names I'd never give my kids (no offense to those who's kids might have these names) The hayden/jayden/caiden/brayden/den/den stuff.  Chastity, Serenity, Destiny, etc.  Names I like but I just can't pass on- Tobias (so I names my cat that :P), Jolene, Zachariah, and other old names like that

Worst name I've ever heard/seen- Pronounced "Ab-suh-dee."  Spelled Abcde.  Yeah- on the birth certificate.

My daughter's name will be Meredith Renee if it's a girl.  Hashing out boys names still but Mathew, Richard (yes I know all about "Dick"), and Nathan are the top 3 right now.  If Meredith was a no I'd push for Gwendolyn and boys name I LOVE but husband is saying no to are Benjamin and Samuel.

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#23 of 58 Old 03-14-2011, 05:02 AM

Hmm, most of those names are pretty normal, but everyone has their choices. It seems like you arent a fan of unique names and that's cool. Exception being the ab-suh-dee thing. I don't know what to say about that, other than..uhhmm... 2whistle.gif

We love Colton and Cassidy but my cousin named his son Colton last year (what a cutie) and a girl I work with, and former friend I might add, just "stole" Cassidy for her baby from me knowing very well is was my favorite girl name. I thought it was so rude. I cant use it now just out of principle. LOL! Oh well, I still like Chloe a ton. It means blooming green shoot...maybe we can find a flower or nature name for a middle name. Boy names still undecided.

#24 of 58 Old 03-14-2011, 05:53 AM

Miles and Malcolm have always been on our boy list and we will most likely use one of these if we have boy #3 and girl-wise we favor Grace, Vivian, and Violet. 

Married to CH (2005) and mother to DS1 (6/2006), DS2 (8/2008) and DS3 Sept 22nd, 2011!   

#25 of 58 Old 03-14-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFanatik View Post

Names I'd never give my kids (no offense to those who's kids might have these names) The hayden/jayden/caiden/brayden/den/den stuff.  Chastity, Serenity, Destiny, etc.  Names I like but I just can't pass on- Tobias (so I names my cat that :P), Jolene, Zachariah, and other old names like that

Worst name I've ever heard/seen- Pronounced "Ab-suh-dee."  Spelled Abcde.  Yeah- on the birth certificate.

My daughter's name will be Meredith Renee if it's a girl.  Hashing out boys names still but Mathew, Richard (yes I know all about "Dick"), and Nathan are the top 3 right now.  If Meredith was a no I'd push for Gwendolyn and boys name I LOVE but husband is saying no to are Benjamin and Samuel.

I love the name Gwendolyn, but my hubby won't go for it. I doubt that nowadays anyone would call your son Dick if you named him Richard. I love that name, it's my uncle's and we always call him Richard.
I like very "normal" names. Is that bad? I feel like everyone wants to give their kids unique names, and we're totally happy with common ones. If this kid is a girl DH wants to call her Julia. I love that name, but I'd rather call her Lydia. Oh well, I named that last kid, so Its DH's turn. If it's a boy, we're partial to Thomas, William, or James.

#26 of 58 Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

Hmm, most of those names are pretty normal, but everyone has their choices. It seems like you arent a fan of unique names and that's cool. Exception being the ab-suh-dee thing. I don't know what to say about that, other than..uhhmm... 2whistle.gif

Lol, yeah I'm a fan or more traditional names and a lot of old fashioned names (I LOOVE Victorian names).  Def not a fan of unique, alternative spellings, or the uber popular ones that it seems every kid has these days (5 of the "-den" names in my sons class- CONFUSING!  But that's just my personal taste.  I don't care if others name thier children things like that- it's just not for me.  It's thier children and not mine :)  As you can tell by my childrens names (Christopher Wayne & Katherine Elizabeth) we are just very traditional.   

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#27 of 58 Old 03-14-2011, 02:09 PM

Assuming we really are having a boy in September (ultrasound tech says we are, but it's still early), he's going to be Oscar.  Other names I love are Hazel and Fiona for girls and for boys Declan, Emmett, Finn and Rory.  I have nothing against the Cayden/Shayden/Braden/Jayden names, but I'm still surprised at how explosively popular they are.

For any of you who have an hour to spare and aren't afraid to possibly die laughing, go to this website for the BEST worst baby names you will EVER hear:  http://wesclark.com/ubn/

#28 of 58 Old 03-14-2011, 02:11 PM

I think Gwendolyn, Lydia and Julia are all beautiful.  :)  I babysat for a family who had a Charlotte, Gwendolyn and Amelia, long before those names came back into style, and I always liked them.

#29 of 58 Old 03-14-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Lyn View Post

Assuming we really are having a boy in September (ultrasound tech says we are, but it's still early), he's going to be Oscar.  Other names I love are Hazel and Fiona for girls and for boys Declan, Emmett, Finn and Rory.  I have nothing against the Cayden/Shayden/Braden/Jayden names, but I'm still surprised at how explosively popular they are.

For any of you who have an hour to spare and aren't afraid to possibly die laughing, go to this website for the BEST worst baby names you will EVER hear:  http://wesclark.com/ubn/

WOW! Zestpoole? REALLY? Hallah Lujah and Delecta are runner up favorites here. Zestpoole. Wow...lmao! Love it.

I really like Charlotte too, my kids are Jonah and Alaina so I was thinking may I need another name that ends in A or AH but I get into that Jedediah category and it all gets a little much for me considering Im not a bible follower, mormon or even consider myself a christian. Im just me. Names say so much about a person!

#30 of 58 Old 03-14-2011, 06:40 PM

Oooooh, I also love my grandpa's name, Otto. DH won't go for it, but i think it is such a cool name. I've known a few Ottos in my life and they were all amazingly interesting men! Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there in case someone else can use it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page