We're So Crafty We Make People - Mothering Forums
1 2  3 
September 2011 > We're So Crafty We Make People
cparkly's Avatar cparkly 03:36 AM 03-12-2011

Have you crafty moms started any projects for this baby? Will you share with us?

I got my prepared wool (felted sweaters) out today to begin sewing some wool soakers and longies. I wish that I could knit or crochet proficiently, then I would knit some, too.

Coonifer's Avatar Coonifer 08:52 AM 03-12-2011

I started a Kicking Bag, basically a wearable blanket, or sleeveless sleep sack out of some sock yarn I was given.  Here's a link to Soulemama's version: http://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/2008/10/back-to-the-kni.html

When I am done with that, I think I will start a newborn sweater. Someone recently gave me two trash bags full of yarn, so I think this baby will have plenty of handknits!

I am Coonifer on Ravelry if you want to share projects that way.

greenrootsmama's Avatar greenrootsmama 01:09 PM 03-12-2011

I haven't actually started anything yet because I haven't been able to get out of bed for very long but I was planning to buy used baby items such as a bassinet, swing, and stroller from CL or yard sale and then recover them in my preferred fabrics. I also want to make a blanket (I've made one for all of my DC so far) and maybe a layette too. For me I'm planning to make a few maternity skirts to get me through the summer. If I'm not too burnt out from all the other things I have planned then I'll probably make a few clothing items too.

cparkly's Avatar cparkly 07:20 PM 03-13-2011

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coonifer View Post

I started a Kicking Bag, basically a wearable blanket, or sleeveless sleep sack out of some sock yarn I was given.  Here's a link to Soulemama's version: http://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/2008/10/back-to-the-kni.html

When I am done with that, I think I will start a newborn sweater. S

I love the kicking bag. What a great idea. We have so many of DH's baby sweater and DS was able to wear them. They are sooo cute. I can't wait to try them on this new baby, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenrootsmama View Post

I haven't actually started anything yet because I haven't been able to get out of bed for very long but I was planning to buy used baby items such as a bassinet, swing, and stroller from CL or yard sale and then recover them in my preferred fabrics. I also want to make a blanket (I've made one for all of my DC so far) and maybe a layette too. For me I'm planning to make a few maternity skirts to get me through the summer. If I'm not too burnt out from all the other things I have planned then I'll probably make a few clothing items too.

I helped a friend create her nursery with peices that we refinished. It was a lot of fun and came out beautifully. 

I want to make a wrap skirt, too. Maybe even a pair of thai fiisherman pants. Has anyone made those before?

ValH's Avatar ValH 05:51 AM 03-14-2011

I hadn't knitted in probably five years until I found out I was pregnant.  Now I'm working on a baby blanket... here's the pattern I'm using:  http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/free-knitting-patterns-for-baby-blankets2.htm

It's slow going, mostly because I'm too busy/tired to work on it every day. 

LovingBaby's Avatar LovingBaby 01:15 AM 03-15-2011

Oh!  I started a baby blanket, I am new to knitting.  And it is actually a cable knit throw blanket, but I think it will work out nicely as a baby blanket.  I am using yarn I had at home that my oldest son picked out and I never did anything with.  So it is multiple shades of blue.  So if we have another boy it will be perfect, and if we have a girl it will be fun because my son picked out the colour ;)  

After the blanket I am thinking of attempting some cute little puppy booties... but I have never done socks or anything like that before so it will prove interesting.  

Excited to hear what others are doing maybe I will get some good ideas.  (I am also thinking of attempting a sweater or cardigan for myself?).....  

FarmerCathy's Avatar FarmerCathy 05:38 PM 03-17-2011

So far I have things I want to make and all the stuff required to make them, but yet to start.  Soon I hope.  I have enough fabric to make a baby quilt.  I found some really cute fabrics.  I also have knitted on and off again and want to make some longies.  I have everything, even a pattern and I just need to go for it!  I love the baby kicking sack and want to do that too.  So cute.

cparkly's Avatar cparkly 08:31 AM 03-25-2011

I made one pair of wool longies (so tiny!), and have made 20 flannel wipes from old receiving blankets. I am going to try to make a little something each week, so that I am prepared. 

FarmerCathy's Avatar FarmerCathy 01:58 PM 03-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparkly View Post

I made one pair of wool longies (so tiny!), and have made 20 flannel wipes from old receiving blankets. I am going to try to make a little something each week, so that I am prepared. 

Do you know what your measurements were for the tiny longies?  I want to make sure the baby isn't going to swim in the ones I'm making.thumb.gif

cparkly's Avatar cparkly 05:58 PM 03-26-2011

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
Do you know what your measurements were for the tiny longies?  I want to make sure the baby isn't going to swim in the ones I'm making.thumb.gif

I just took measurements from a pair of 0-3 month sized pants that DS wore and used that as my "pattern". The waist is 14-16" (stretchy, soft wool), 15" length (high waisted design), 15" rise (to accomodate a big, cotton prefold). HTH. I think that they seem a little big as far a newborn goes, but DS was a big baby. I don't anticipate a tiny baby this time. smile.gif

FarmerCathy's Avatar FarmerCathy 12:11 PM 03-28-2011

Quote:

Quote:

I just took measurements from a baby of 0-3 month sized pants that DS wore and used that as my "pattern". The waist is 14-16" (stretchy, soft wool), 15" length (high waisted design), 15" rise (to accomodate a big, cotton prefold). HTH. I think that they seem a little big as far a newborn goes, but DS was a big baby. I don't anticipate a tiny baby this time. smile.gif

Thank you so much!!  I don't expect a tiny baby this time either, but hoping for 9lbs and under.

Dlynn918's Avatar Dlynn918 05:54 AM 04-07-2011

Quote:

Have you crafty moms started any projects for this baby? Will you share with us?

I got my prepared wool (felted sweaters) out today to begin sewing some wool soakers and longies. I wish that I could knit or crochet proficiently, then I would knit some, too.

I'm going to learn how to knit just so I can do this! Any tips for beginners please? My mom is teaching me the basic knitting part, she has been knitting us all sweaters for years but she has never done soakers before but wants to start with me! :-) Any tips on which kind of wool? How to felt etc? I'd so appreciate it cause I'm obsessing over diapering right now and want to start this weekend. A friend of mine hooked me up with Ravelry.com but it seems way beyond where I am right now. Which is step one. Ive crocheted before but never knit. Thanks!!! boc.gif

Coonifer's Avatar Coonifer 09:48 AM 04-07-2011

I finished the kicking bag, and it is sweet, though it looks a little short to me.  We'll see.  I started a "5-hour" baby sweater and once that is done, I think I will work on some picky pants or soakers.  For the first pair, I'm just going to follow the pattern (no messing around like I usually do!) and use a relatively inexpensive 100% wool.  I don't think you want to felt your knitted soakers.

FarmerCathy's Avatar FarmerCathy 04:54 PM 04-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

I'm going to learn how to knit just so I can do this! Any tips for beginners please? My mom is teaching me the basic knitting part, she has been knitting us all sweaters for years but she has never done soakers before but wants to start with me! :-) Any tips on which kind of wool? How to felt etc? I'd so appreciate it cause I'm obsessing over diapering right now and want to start this weekend. A friend of mine hooked me up with Ravelry.com but it seems way beyond where I am right now. Which is step one. Ive crocheted before but never knit. Thanks!!! boc.gif

I have been trying to knit here and there, put it down for a few years and pick it up again so this is my first real project, making longies.  So far the advice I've gotten is to go to http://www.knittinghelp.com/  Lots of great videos.  The pattern I'm following is the Wonderpants pattern.  It tells you exactly what kind of Wool to get and how much.  I got mine at the Woolery. I got the worsted weight in rain drop.  Love the color. I got it in the smaller amount, but I think its worth getting the whole cone of yarn if you think you'll use it for several different items.  Here is the resources for diaper covers and yarn.  HTH

Gracecody's Avatar Gracecody 05:23 PM 04-07-2011

Dlynn918 - I knit a pair of longies not too long after starting knitting. I used the Sheepypants pattern and was really happy with it. For a first project in the round I would recommend trying a basic hat, just so you are comfortable with the concept of going around and round, and doing increases/decreases. Otherwise it might be a little overwhelming. I second Cathy, knittinghelp.com is awesome for its videos, I watched those many times!!

I just finally realized what this thread was discussing, duh! Since I've had some issues in this pregnancy it's taken me awhile to feel comfortable enough to start making/buying anything for this baby. But today I started planning a couple of projects with respectively, some leftover yarn and some really nice silk/merino that I have on hand. I want to make some boyish booties and a girly silky cap with those. I have a little Etsy shop so I can go ahead and do both for fun and then put whatever we're not going to use up for sale. Knitting is really my therapy lately and I will really enjoy the process of making some tiny things with some special yarns.

Dlynn918's Avatar Dlynn918 01:37 PM 04-08-2011

Thanks GraceCody & Cathy! Great tips! I am recovering from a kidney stone (aka hell on earth) and Im obsessing over learning to knit soakers! Could be worse things out there to obsess over, right?! ;0) I found this in my search which is SO adorable for a little girl if you like the ruffley cuffs:

http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/soakers/pattern/

I like the heavier cuffs myself cause you know how easy it is for those diapers to sneak out of the cover. So my local yarn shop closed, boo...hisss....so I went to Joanne fabrics out of convenience and I found a couple of things but not a lot. A took GraceCodys advice on the hat and picked up some nice super soft organic cotton for hat. But as far as 100% wool goes I didnt find anything worsted weight that wasnt 50% acrylic. So I got some 100% wool for felting but my question here is how much do I size up to felt it down to NB size? And when felting do you hand wash, boil? Any tips would be so greatly appreciated and I will post pics when I'm done! You girls are the best, thanks! (Just a pinch excited!)

Gracecody's Avatar Gracecody 07:18 PM 04-08-2011

For wool soakers, you don't actually need to felt them - you just knit them up and then apply lanolin (lanolize them, I am sure there are a million tutorials out there for doing that too). I have had NO luck finding any suitable wool at any local shops (including yarn shops) except one "snobby" one in town that carries merino wool. Besides the snobby shop I have bought all my soaker wool yarn online, at Hyena Cart and some off of Ravelry destashes. If you have any local yarn shops you might ask if they carry Cascade 220, it's not the softest in the world but it does work great for soakers and does soften with washing. It's well priced, much cheaper than merino wool for starting out.

Dlynn918's Avatar Dlynn918 03:26 PM 04-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracecody View Post

For wool soakers, you don't actually need to felt them - you just knit them up and then apply lanolin (lanolize them, I am sure there are a million tutorials out there for doing that too). I have had NO luck finding any suitable wool at any local shops (including yarn shops) except one "snobby" one in town that carries merino wool. Besides the snobby shop I have bought all my soaker wool yarn online, at Hyena Cart and some off of Ravelry destashes. If you have any local yarn shops you might ask if they carry Cascade 220, it's not the softest in the world but it does work great for soakers and does soften with washing. It's well priced, much cheaper than merino wool for starting out.

What if I bought felting wool? :0) Do I have to felt it then? And if I do, should I make it a size too big? I hear ya on the pure wool selections in the big box stores. Limited. I'm still learning but this is FUN! What patterns do you like best?

Dlynn918's Avatar Dlynn918 12:43 PM 04-10-2011

I found the "motherload" of soaker patterns!

http://fullvid.com/wool/WSLinks.html

Gracecody's Avatar Gracecody 02:36 PM 04-10-2011

Quote:

What if I bought felting wool? :0) Do I have to felt it then? And if I do, should I make it a size too big? I hear ya on the pure wool selections in the big box stores. Limited. I'm still learning but this is FUN! What patterns do you like best?

Felting wool is fine - all soaker wool is technically felting wool as it will felt...you just wash it in lukewarm water and avoid agitation (so, hand wash only). I believe extreme temps and agitation are the things that cause wool to felt so you can use it as-is. The only consideration is if the wool that you bought feels like something you'd want to wear against your skin - is it really soft, or scratchy? In any case it's probably good for practice use, at least. I haven't done many soakers but I am planning to do a couple from the Vanilla pattern on Ravelry. I have used the Snapdragon soaker pattern before and remember it being very straightforward, it is also free.

Phineasmama's Avatar Phineasmama 06:15 PM 04-10-2011

I'm knitting a Molly Bubble romper in MM Morwenstow right now, it's my first time knitting this pattern but it's going pretty well! I'm hoping it looks good finished because I have a couple more colorways I want to knit up in the same pattern.

Coonifer's Avatar Coonifer 05:39 AM 04-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post

I'm knitting a Molly Bubble romper in MM Morwenstow right now, it's my first time knitting this pattern but it's going pretty well! I'm hoping it looks good finished because I have a couple more colorways I want to knit up in the same pattern.

Cute!  Do you think there's any way to make it less girly?  I have to stick to gender-neutral until Baby arrives.

FarmerCathy's Avatar FarmerCathy 09:37 AM 04-22-2011

I finally got started on my first pair of longies.  So cute, but totally messed up on the waist band, but I'm going to leave it since it signifies that this is my first project.  I had to re-do the second part anyway, but it is coming along and I'm almost to the crotch and can't wait to start doing the magic loop. orngbiggrin.gif  The yarn I got is really pretty too, its called rain drop.  I want to get some more like it in orange and green.  The wonderpants pattern so far is easy to go by so far, except when I didn't realize I had done the back on the wrong half, that was where I had to go back, but the rest should be smooth sailing from here on out.  I'll post a pic if I can of my progress and my pretty yarn.  Everyone keeps telling me how boyish the color is. eyesroll.gif  Girls can wear blue too, she can wear a girly shirt with it alright, sheesh.

FarmerCathy's Avatar FarmerCathy 09:43 AM 04-22-2011

DSC06564sm.JPG

See how the waistband came out so special. lol.gif  I love it so far though.

Dlynn918's Avatar Dlynn918 11:02 AM 04-22-2011

Fancy waistband Cathy! I love it! Are these the longies or a regular soaker? Ill attach a pic of my first soaker I started last night!knit1.JPG

FarmerCathy's Avatar FarmerCathy 12:01 PM 04-22-2011

Quote:

Fancy waistband Cathy! I love it! Are these the longies or a regular soaker? Ill attach a pic of my first soaker I started last night!knit1.JPG

Thanks!  I love the green.  I think I want to do the Orange Confection and Herbal Garden next. https://www.woolery.com/Store/pc/Brown-Sheep-Lanaloft-Bulky-p5982.htm  Scroll down for the colors.  I want to make one of those sleep sacks too and maybe just use the extra from my longies projects for that.  They are all colors that look good together.

Dlynn918's Avatar Dlynn918 10:19 AM 04-23-2011

Nice wool! Is that what you usually use? So I got all the way down to the section where you bind off for the cuffs and the area where I bound off looks small enough for a chicken! Lol...dont know what I'm doing wrong???

FarmerCathy's Avatar FarmerCathy 02:49 PM 04-23-2011

Quote:

Nice wool! Is that what you usually use? So I got all the way down to the section where you bind off for the cuffs and the area where I bound off looks small enough for a chicken! Lol...dont know what I'm doing wrong???

This is my first one, actually my first official knitting pattern.  Way new to this, well, I guess I've picked up knitting now and again in the last 10 years and now I've finally started a project, well, actually I'm working on two right now, though I don't  know if the other really counts since its just knitting a prayer shawl for church.  It's just all knitting.

Dlynn918's Avatar Dlynn918 03:11 PM 04-23-2011

me too Cathy! I just started myself. I made 2 hats and Ive been making squares for practice to put together a patchwork blanket. Let me know what you think when you get to the legs! Im using a pattern from Ravelry called Frantic Mama's Soaker Pattern. My mom is making one too but she is much looser knitter than I am so her legs turned out fine. The only thing her NB cover looks like the size of a 3-6 month! :0)

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 07:24 PM 04-23-2011

I haven't started anything yet because I want to wait until I know if the baby is a boy or girl, so I can choose coordinating fabrics/yarn. I'm only a beginner sewer and knitter/crocheter, despite doing it for years, so I'm going to keep my projects simple.

I plan to make a simple nine block baby quilt as the major piece. I'd also like to make a crocheted afghan, but I'll likely plan to have that done as a first birthday gift since I tend to crochet only in the winter months.

I also want to sew a changing pad for the diaper bag with coordinating diaper/wipes case. I'll probably use the patterns from One Yard Wonders for those.

1 2  3 

Up