Co Sleepers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-16-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have experience with bed-side Co-sleepers? All that seems to be available in the states in the Arms Reach which to me looks flimsy and basically like a glorified pack n play. There are much nicer ones sold in Europe but the shipping to get them here is as much as the bed!

http://www.bambinogoodies.co.uk/the-bednest/

Check this out...I would love to know if anyone has seen these in the US or even Canada???

I had both of my children in bed with me with no harm done but my DH (I remarried a few years ago and DH isn't the natural father of my kids, this baby will be his first!) doesn't want to take chances with a newborn. I have to respect his feelings but I don't want an arms reach, or bassinet. I loved the convenience of having the babes right next to me and being able to plug them in so naturally without having to wait till they fuss themselves out of a deep sleep to wake me cause they are 3 feet away. The Bednest is level with the bed and open on one side (attaches snugly to the bed) and seems to offer a similar effect. A friend of mine just had one shipped from the UK and will give me a report when the baby is born in May. Another friend in Germany has one similar and she said the baby ended up in the bed anyway and that is used as diaper and supply table for late night changes! ROTFLMAO.gif

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#2 of 26 Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I'm wondering the same thing. With my DD I was a single mama, so co sleeping was easy as pie. I also never felt overtired or anything, since, as you said, she wasn't coming out of a deep sleep. My DF is also worried about having the baby in bed with us, and he's a bed hog anyhow, so I'm a little worried about having enough room. I had the Arm's Reach with my daughter and she never spent a night in it. I used it to hold my cd player, books, water and diapers, haha. I really love the look of the bednest, but it definitely isn't in our budget. I wonder if there's something similar around?

girl reading.gif absolutely in love with boy modifiedartist.gif.  DD loveeyes.gif (11/06) and DS luxlove.gif (08/11), and someone new in July stork-suprise.gif!
#3 of 26 Old 03-16-2011, 05:36 PM

Oh mylanta do I want that thing!  I had an Arms Reach with my oldest DD and most of the time just ended up putting her right into bed with us.  It became a glorified storage piece for our cloth diapers-lol.  I am also looking for options as well or else I might just end up stalking the Bed Nest. 

Christine belly.gifmarried to Cody.superhero.gifMom to Orion (8) guitar.gif, Lourdes (6) love.gif and Britton (3)biggrinbounce.gif.  Expecting someone new September 2011. stork-suprise.gif
#4 of 26 Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

There is another one from Germany, you guys want to drool over this, it converts into a high chair and a childs desk!

http://www.babybay.de/en/index.html

Someone NEEDS to import these things for us!!!

#5 of 26 Old 03-22-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to the bednest folks and they said they do not sell their co-sleeper in the states right now and they are having a hard time keeping up with orders in the UK they have become so popular. Best thing they can offer right now is reduced shipping on a multiple order to the same address. Anyone live in or within driving distance to CT? Lol!

#6 of 26 Old 03-22-2011, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I like the one you linked Dlynn.  I don't like the first one linked.  The biggest problem I've heard from people that have used the Arm's reach co sleeper is that it has the side on it and you basically have to get out of bed to get the baby and I see that same problem with the first cosleeper linked.  Plus I just don't like the looks of it.  It doesn't look very sturdy to me at all.  The second one looks nice, sturdy, and like you could just scoot the baby right over to you.  However, you can do the same exact thing by sidecarring a crib as well.  Which we've done, but then never used it because the baby had to literally be touching me at all times or else she was screaming.  So, we got rid of the crib and just full out cosleep now.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#7 of 26 Old 03-23-2011, 06:36 AM

I'm looking into this one: http://www.babybunk.com/

It's wood and can be rented, which are both huge bonuses for me.  One of us should ask in the cosleeping forum to see if anyone has experience with this one.

Mom to Thora, born at home 9/28/2011. Currently in Madison, WI, but gearing up for a move to Providence, RI in August! I'd love to meet some folks.
#8 of 26 Old 03-23-2011, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

This is what I'm considering for #2 when we get ds into his toddler bed. We never used the crib with ds so it would be good to see it be put to use. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPqpbSoqvbQ

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
#9 of 26 Old 03-23-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4latte View Post

This is what I'm considering for #2 when we get ds into his toddler bed. We never used the crib with ds so it would be good to see it be put to use. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPqpbSoqvbQ

I don't have enough room in my bedroom for a crib.

#10 of 26 Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlyGrnMigt View Post

I'm looking into this one: http://www.babybunk.com/

It's wood and can be rented, which are both huge bonuses for me.  One of us should ask in the cosleeping forum to see if anyone has experience with this one.

Hey this is a new one! But OH MY the price! I'm wondering if DH can MAKE one and use a bassinet mattress. Renting is good too but for 6 months you might as well have bought it already. Heard any good reviews on the other forum?

#11 of 26 Old 03-30-2011, 01:58 PM

I've got the Arms Reach Mini Co Sleeper, and I must say, I've loved it since the day I got it.  My son, however, did not like it.  But it turned out he had bad reflux, and ended up sleeping in his swing in our room for the first 5 months (after a month of him sleeping on my or my husband, sitting up in bed- it was the only way to get him to sleep.....ahhh, being a first time mom was STRESSFULL!).

When my dd was born, she spent more time in the co-sleeper the first 2 nights home than my son ever did.  She slept with us, in our room for over 9 months.  It was SO nice to have her close, but yet she had her own space, so my dh was comfortable with it too.  And it travels well!  In those first 9 months we made 2 trips to my in-laws (several states away), moved to another state ourselves, stayed w/ my parents for 2 weeks while in the process of moving, and made another trip back to my parents to visit after we moved.  It was nice that the Arms Reach mini folds up nicely- sorta like a pack-in-play.  I'm so glad she was able to sleep in her own bed throughout all of that chaos! 

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#12 of 26 Old 03-30-2011, 05:32 PM

I picked up an Arm's Reach at the local consignment store for $50!!! I have no problem having the baby in bed with me, but we only have a queen size and my DH is a big guy so there's not much room. I just wanted a little extra space...the side on mine folds down so it goes level with the mattress and you can adjust the height if you need to. You can also use it as a bassinet if you need to so I guess we'll see what ends up happening!

Baby will definitely be in our room for the first couple months though.

#13 of 26 Old 03-31-2011, 10:55 AM

I was so excited about the Arm's Reach I asked my friend who has a 1.5 year old.  She said she didn't have one but definitely plans to for baby #2, as her other friends all had it and loved it.  I am disappointed that it looks a little cheapy and flimsy and like a pack n' play, but don't toddlers wind up sleeping in pack n'plays on vacations anyway?  I agree, these Euro models look SWEET.  I wonder if anything different is available in Canada?  Anyway, I definitely need a co-sleeper as there is no way I am putting a baby in bed with my lead-sleeper husband.  Dlynn, I will look again at the first one, as stopping by CT at some point would be possible, but on first look I really liked that German one better.

cd.gif   trekkie.gif   hang.gif     dog2.gif
#14 of 26 Old 03-31-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ-ME View Post

I was so excited about the Arm's Reach I asked my friend who has a 1.5 year old.  She said she didn't have one but definitely plans to for baby #2, as her other friends all had it and loved it.  I am disappointed that it looks a little cheapy and flimsy and like a pack n' play, but don't toddlers wind up sleeping in pack n'plays on vacations anyway?  I agree, these Euro models look SWEET.  I wonder if anything different is available in Canada?  Anyway, I definitely need a co-sleeper as there is no way I am putting a baby in bed with my lead-sleeper husband.  Dlynn, I will look again at the first one, as stopping by CT at some point would be possible, but on first look I really liked that German one better.

The conversion rate for the cost and shipping of the Bed Nest is $384!!! YIKES! I just don't know if that is in the budget! I didn't realize you were in Maine! We were heading to Freeport this weekend for a getaway, just DH and I, but we postponed... waiting for a weekend without a freaking Nor'Easter in the forcast! His side of the family is from Houlton and we often all meet down east as a half way point. It's actually quicker for us than it is for them! Anyway...Arms Reach, yeah. We looked at one on display last week and it appeared to be broken and someone spilled coffee all over it. GROSS. I was thinking the same thing about Canada. I might give a shout to some of our Canadian cousins and friends to see if anyone knows of something like that up there. I just can't see spending that much cash on something that's only used for such a short time and doesn't have another function. I have another stop to make here at a place called Papoose which has a lot of unique baby products as well as yoga, parenting, breast feeding classes and from the looks of their reviews they are worthwhile stop even though its about an hour drive for us down into the southern shoreline area of CT. If I find anything worthy I will pass it on. superhero.gif

#15 of 26 Old 04-01-2011, 11:25 PM

I agree, the bednest is beautiful. It looks so much better than the arms reach! If DD isn't ready to sleep in her own bed this summer, it might be something I could slip into the budget, if I skimp elsewhere. :)

Dlynn, I bet it would be fairly easy to make one to fit a basinett mattress and specifically to the height of your bed. I would want to see exactly how they attach to the bed, though, so there's no chance of it falling over or a dangerous space appearing between the mattresses.

Jess, mama to DD1 (6-26-09) and DD2 (9-29-11) 

#16 of 26 Old 04-02-2011, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMama28 View Post

I agree, the bednest is beautiful. It looks so much better than the arms reach! If DD isn't ready to sleep in her own bed this summer, it might be something I could slip into the budget, if I skimp elsewhere. :)

Dlynn, I bet it would be fairly easy to make one to fit a basinett mattress and specifically to the height of your bed. I would want to see exactly how they attach to the bed, though, so there's no chance of it falling over or a dangerous space appearing between the mattresses.

Yes we are considering trying to make one and I know what you mean as far as an attachment feature. However, the Bednest, after shipping expenses is $384! I didn't realize the value of the euro compared to the dollar. Eeek. We looked at the Arms Reach and its made from metal poles covered in fabric with plastic fasteners. It looks hard to clean if baby throws up or has a blow out. Plus the one we saw on display was damaged and was sagging in the middle so I'm not sure how sturdy it really is. I'm going to a unique baby store this weekend and I will ask them if they have any knowledge on co-sleepers and maybe they can stock them.

#17 of 26 Old 04-02-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

Yes we are considering trying to make one and I know what you mean as far as an attachment feature. However, the Bednest, after shipping expenses is $384! I didn't realize the value of the euro compared to the dollar. Eeek. We looked at the Arms Reach and its made from metal poles covered in fabric with plastic fasteners. It looks hard to clean if baby throws up or has a blow out. Plus the one we saw on display was damaged and was sagging in the middle so I'm not sure how sturdy it really is. I'm going to a unique baby store this weekend and I will ask them if they have any knowledge on co-sleepers and maybe they can stock them.

Okay... everyone is coming down pretty hard on the Arm's Reach. I got one second-hand... an original size, not a mini (bassinet size). I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I LIKE it. It has the versatility of a pack n' play and fits very securely against my bed and seems extremely sturdy to me once I put it all together (which was somewhat annoying to do, by the way - but I have always been confounded by pack n' plays too). The liner fits over the bars and then the mattress pad sits on the bars very securely. The snaps on the liner are not flimsy (like the ones on some of my diapers... erg), although they are plastic, and it is extremely easy to remove to throw in the wash...

I have mine already set up and ready to go... (I got a burst of nesting energy last night) and even though it is wedged between the wall and my bed it is easy to access all the parts I need to and has nice little pockets for storing nursing supplies, etc. and I plan on buying the organic mattress to add a bit more "cush" to the sleeping surface for my little one, which will bring the surface right up to the bar. The liner can also be pulled under the bed's sheet for a more seamless side-car type sleeping arrangement. I am NOT a salesperson for Arm's Reach, but it is an affordable and space-saving option, and while it doesn't look at beautiful as the BedNest, I believe it will work for me in my tiny apartment where space is an issue and the beauty of the bed is overshadowed by the beauty of my child. :)

My only other option would have been to buy a second hand crib and tear it apart to side-car it, but then I'd worry about the integrity of the entire structure. Plus, Arm's Reach also has a wood crib-like version of the co-sleeper available on their website, that is more sturdy too. It's priced about the same as the BedNest... but it's bigger.

learnlovebe and cparkly like this.

Moo.

#18 of 26 Old 04-02-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post

Okay... everyone is coming down pretty hard on the Arm's Reach. I got one second-hand... an original size, not a mini (bassinet size). I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I LIKE it. It has the versatility of a pack n' play and fits very securely against my bed and seems extremely sturdy to me once I put it all together (which was somewhat annoying to do, by the way - but I have always been confounded by pack n' plays too). The liner fits over the bars and then the mattress pad sits on the bars very securely. The snaps on the liner are not flimsy (like the ones on some of my diapers... erg), although they are plastic, and it is extremely easy to remove to throw in the wash...

I have mine already set up and ready to go... (I got a burst of nesting energy last night) and even though it is wedged between the wall and my bed it is easy to access all the parts I need to and has nice little pockets for storing nursing supplies, etc. and I plan on buying the organic mattress to add a bit more "cush" to the sleeping surface for my little one, which will bring the surface right up to the bar. The liner can also be pulled under the bed's sheet for a more seamless side-car type sleeping arrangement. I am NOT a salesperson for Arm's Reach, but it is an affordable and space-saving option, and while it doesn't look at beautiful as the BedNest, I believe it will work for me in my tiny apartment where space is an issue and the beauty of the bed is overshadowed by the beauty of my child. :)

My only other option would have been to buy a second hand crib and tear it apart to side-car it, but then I'd worry about the integrity of the entire structure. Plus, Arm's Reach also has a wood crib-like version of the co-sleeper available on their website, that is more sturdy too. It's priced about the same as the BedNest... but it's bigger.

Thats all good info! I wish the arms reach I saw didnt look like someone used it as a trampoline because we are interested in the mini. I cant afford the nearly $400 bednest or the wooden arms reach. Not with all the other baby stuff we need, getting our second bathroom up and running (its currently gutted due to a plumbing crisis), moving a teenager into the spare bedroom to make room for baby etc...I really want to see the arms reach put together properly. I wasn't bagging on it, more or less the condition Babies R Us had it on display. Did I mention someone spilled a coffee on it too? Ugh. I really really like the idea of putting an organic mattress on it!!! Which would bring it to the level of your bed too, rather than it sitting lower (we have a pretty high bed) I wonder if the mini would fit a standard bassinet mattress. I was actually impressed it was made from a metal frame draped in cloth rather than all plastic. The mini has the option of being used as toy storage afterward. I don't think I can fit the regular size next to my bedside and besides there is a window right there. Id prefer it not be plank right to an open window! Im going to see what I can find at Papoose tomorrow. Thanks again!

#19 of 26 Old 04-02-2011, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Organic mattress for arms reach:

http://www.armsreach.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_9&products_id=45

:-)

#20 of 26 Old 04-04-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post
I believe it will work for me in my tiny apartment where space is an issue and the beauty of the bed is overshadowed by the beauty of my child. :)

AWWWWW....joy.gif 

Thanks - I had not seen the wooden version of the Arm's Reach before.  My mom dislikes the standard one that Baby's R Us carries - perhaps she will find the wooden one more appealing.  And by "appealing" I mean "more inclined to gift it to her eldest daughter for first grandbaby."

learnlovebe likes this.

cd.gif   trekkie.gif   hang.gif     dog2.gif
#21 of 26 Old 04-04-2011, 09:04 AM

@ Dlynn918 - The mini Arm's Reach is definitely not as sturdy as the original one, as far as I can tell. I have also seen the neglected displays at Babies R Us here in Portland as well... in my opinion, it's why retail is losing business to online sales in general, but that's a topic for another website altogether! LOL Unfortunately, I believe that all of the Arm's Reach mattress sizes are NOT standard, although to be honest, I have not taken the time to measure them to find out. The regular size is not too  much wider than the mini, mostly longer... but I hear you about not putting it so close to the window!

@SuzyQ-ME - I hope you get your wooden one! That would be awesome!! (A friend of mine just informed me she is buying my car seat for me... [a Britax Marathon 70] what an amazingly wonderful shock! - did someone start a car seat thread yet?)

Moo.

#22 of 26 Old 04-05-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

http://organicgrace.com/taxonomy/term/75

this is always an option too for a co-sleeper mattress & bedding but they also have crib mattress and bedding as well.

#23 of 26 Old 04-07-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ-ME View Post

AWWWWW....joy.gif

Thanks - I had not seen the wooden version of the Arm's Reach before.  My mom dislikes the standard one that Baby's R Us carries - perhaps she will find the wooden one more appealing.  And by "appealing" I mean "more inclined to gift it to her eldest daughter for first grandbaby."

Don't you love those "appealing" gifts?!?!  My arms reach mini was actually one of those gifts- from MY mom. :)  She thought it was SO neat that I wanted to have the baby in my room (and I thought it was SO neat that she was supportive!).

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#24 of 26 Old 04-09-2011, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnlovebe View Post

Don't you love those "appealing" gifts?!?!  My arms reach mini was actually one of those gifts- from MY mom. :)  She thought it was SO neat that I wanted to have the baby in my room (and I thought it was SO neat that she was supportive!).

How is the arms reach mini? Ive heard some say its flimsy? We don't have much room and side-caring a crib is not an option. The one in BRU in my area on display is wrecked so I'm not sure its an accurate representation! I wouldn't mind a real life review? The wooden arms reach is GORGEOUS...Id have to se the measurements, it is as pricey as a crib which we wont use for a while anyway.

#25 of 26 Old 04-10-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

How is the arms reach mini? Ive heard some say its flimsy? We don't have much room and side-caring a crib is not an option. The one in BRU in my area on display is wrecked so I'm not sure its an accurate representation! I wouldn't mind a real life review? The wooden arms reach is GORGEOUS...Id have to se the measurements, it is as pricey as a crib which we wont use for a while anyway.

You know, I don't have any complaints.  My son didn't sleep in it much (he slept in the swing), but my daughter slept just fine in it from the first night. I have seen some crappy ones on display at BRU too, but ours has NEVER looked like that- even after 2 moves  (once when ds was a baby and once when dd was 6 months), and we took it with us when we traveled- that aspect was really nice, being able to to pack it up (much like a pack n play) and take it with- it really helped dd adjust to sleeping in a new place. AND, my ds thought it would be cute to crawl in it a few times shortly after we brought dd home (he was an almost 35 lb 2yo at the time). It held up just fine. Yeah, it's not as pretty as some of the other ones available, but it serves it's purpose well- and the fact that you can pack it up and bring it with- if you plan on traveling at all the first year, to me it's worth it to be able to have your lo close while traveling.

#26 of 26 Old 04-11-2011, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

That's great to know! I just don't see a $400 co sleeper in the budget since were starting from scratch here. Especially with it not lasting more than 6 months or so as a co sleeper. I saw the original arms reach had a voluntary recall which drives me crazy. Everyone is so worried about getting sued. What ever happened to personally accountability? Totally OT but it makes me nuts to see so many recalls on every baby product when I bet more than half are parent neglect. Just sayin.... :0)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page