Anyone NOT have a belly yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-17-2011, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone else in the "no-belly" boat?  I'm 13-ish weeks along and I swear my belly is not getting any bigger. I feel like I'm the same size every morning I wake up and this is really starting to freak me out.  At my mw appt, we didnt hear a heartbeat, tho she said the doppler detected something beating at the 170's rate and swore she heard the baby move. 

I know I've always carried small, but am I just completely paranoid? I'm thinking of going to my OB just cuz I know she will do an ultrasound, even tho I'm not thrilled at the idea. 

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#2 of 10 Old 03-17-2011, 04:28 PM

I'm totally showing this time but this is the earliest I've ever popped. With my first, people couldn't even tell I was pregnant until my 8th month. With my second I got a tiny pooch at 5 months that was only noticeable to me. With the third I was bloated but didn't get a pooch until about 17 weeks. I think I was about 14 weeks when I popped last time. And this time I popped at about 11 weeks. 

Katie ~ Wife to Mr. Perfect and natural mommy to DD1, DS1, DS2, DD2, with Squishy coming in the fall.
#3 of 10 Old 03-17-2011, 05:25 PM

Ill be 16 weeks on monday and still not much of a belly.....at all.  I look a little bloated, but not all pregnant. Your uterus is far below your belly button at this point. Also,  I took a nasty fall last week (my stupid fault) and went to see the midwife and she had a hard time finding the heartbeat, but could hear the baby kicking and punching and moving away from the doppler. Its there, just be patient!

Active self employed momma to my amazing son with down syndrome born 8/24/11, wife to the most amazing husband ever, expecting baby #2 on September 5th, 2012, exactly 1 year from my sons original due date. Currently sharing our crazy household with 1 house rabbit, 3 exotic lizards, 1 guinea pig...

#4 of 10 Old 03-17-2011, 06:48 PM

I don't have much of a belly yet, and I'm 13.5 weeks with #4.  I don't recall exactly when I showed with the others, but it was definitely before now.  I'm not worried about it--I've heard the heartbeat using the doppler and I can feel that my uterus is growing--but I do find my self puzzling over it from time-to-time. My jeans still fit relatively normally and I just haven't *felt* particularly pregnant.

In just the past week or so, though, I am noticing that I'm getting a little bit of a belly.  I think I'm just carrying differently than I have in the past, for whatever reason.  

#5 of 10 Old 03-17-2011, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In my first pregnancy I didn't show until well into the 20ish weeks. Like 24 or 27 weeks. Something like that.

I know it's fun to show and all, it just takes a bit longer the first time around. You've still got unstretched skin and muscles. smile.gif

My second I started showing around 15 or so weeks. 3rd was around 9, 4th was the moment I conceived. Lol.

Honestly, even as big as I am this time, I can still easily hide it in a sweatshirt and I can even still comfortably wear my fat jeans. It's not even completely obvious in maternity clothes. I just look like I have a fat belly unless you know me or know that I'm pregnant.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#6 of 10 Old 03-18-2011, 05:14 AM

Me too. This is baby number 4. While I gave gotten bigger it isn't very noticable. still able to wear my fat pants.

Israel, mom to  DD, Ivy, 4-27-06 :and DS, Kai, 12-29-07 and DD, Lilith 2-1-10 and always remembering Alice fullterm stillborn 08/31/11 (unexplained placental abruption) 

#7 of 10 Old 03-18-2011, 07:12 AM

Oy, I have to tell you - every single one of my friends had no showing at all until at least 5 months - one of them didn't show until 7.   Me?  Baby #1, and I had to confess at work at week 13 because it was so obvious.  My mother, who always knows just what NOT to say, even questioned last week whether i was "only" 14 weeks.  So I've been paranoid in the different direction.

Is the peace of mind of seeing your baby with an ultrasound worth having a test that you aren't comfortable with/don't think is necessary? 

In 4 months or so you will look back at March and your ability to fit in your normal pants and laugh! 

cd.gif   trekkie.gif   hang.gif     dog2.gif
#8 of 10 Old 03-18-2011, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ-ME View Post

So I've been paranoid in the different direction.

Is the peace of mind of seeing your baby with an ultrasound worth having a test that you aren't comfortable with/don't think is necessary? 

In 4 months or so you will look back at March and your ability to fit in your normal pants and laugh! 

For something like that, I wouldn't. A good mw can feel where your uterus is and have a good idea if your size is normal or not. If the size was way off at that point, then I might consent to an ultrasound. My last two babies were completely u/s free, so for me, i prefer to err on the side of keeping u/s for real necessity.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#9 of 10 Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpajama View Post

I don't have much of a belly yet, and I'm 13.5 weeks with #4.  I don't recall exactly when I showed with the others, but it was definitely before now.  I'm not worried about it--I've heard the heartbeat using the doppler and I can feel that my uterus is growing--but I do find my self puzzling over it from time-to-time. My jeans still fit relatively normally and I just haven't *felt* particularly pregnant.

In just the past week or so, though, I am noticing that I'm getting a little bit of a belly.  I think I'm just carrying differently than I have in the past, for whatever reason.  

THanks for all the great responses. It does make me feel better. I swear I showed before this with my last 2 pregnancies, but I guess I just have to remember that all of them are different.

As for the tests, I think I'm okay with doing a coupe more ultrasounds (and no more after!!) I'm just not comfortable with going to my OB for another appointment because I feel like its just too much.  I feel like pregnancy is a "dis-ease" with her and not a natural process of life.  I guess thats the standard of care in the medical model!! THank God for midwives redface.gif

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#10 of 10 Old 03-19-2011, 11:47 AM

I'm 16 weeks and a couple days and when I wake up in the morning I can't see a difference. Later on when I've eaten and am a little bloated it's barely a belly. This is my 3rd! (and my youngest isn't even 2 yet)
I know I popped quicker with my son because I have pictures. I did more abdominal exercises after my last though, so it must be that because my uterus is the same place (belly button now) as 16 weeks with him. I've felt kicks and heard hb too, so I know there's a babe in there! Lol

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page