Anyone have (or had in a previous pregnancy) an anterior placenta? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you do, I'd love to hear more from you on when you felt kicks (or any other issues that came up)! 

I was starting to get worried because with my DD, I felt distinct kicks right at 16 weeks...and 16 weeks just came and went for me and I've still felt nothing that was obviously a kick! I called my midwife and asked if the placenta was anterior (as shown on my 12 week nuchal scan) and sure enough, it is. So I feel better now...I guess (for many women) an anterior placenta cushions any kicks in the lower abdominal area and as a result, it's much harder to feel them. 

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this (or has in the past)...

Thanks! :)

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

#2 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 02:08 PM

DDCC. I found out a week ago that I have an anterior placenta. This is my first and I felt distinct kicks for the first time between 17 and 18 weeks. Before that I thought I might feel movement but it wasn't definite. After I started feeling it, it wasn't completely consistent for a few more weeks - some days I might feel almost no movements. It made sense when I saw that the placenta is anterior because I always feel the kicks either lower or higher or to the side, never right in the middle of my belly. And it's almost always kicks rather than rolling.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#3 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 02:12 PM

Yep, I have an anterior placenta. I'm only 14 weeks but its my 3rd baby so I do feel kicks occasionally. Mostly when I'm lieing in bed very still. I didn't even know until yesterday when the OB was having a hard time finding the heart beat and she said, "Darn anterior placenta!" but she didn't say it was an issue for anything but allowing baby to be stubborn and hide. I haven't had a level 2 ultrasound yet so I havent gotten too much info. I would think once the baby is big enough we should be able to feel tons of movement. If you know anything else about it let me know!

learnlovebe likes this.

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#4 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 PM
L J

I did with both of mine, and yes, I felt movement much later. I think around 20-21 weeks with my first and around 17-18 weeks with my second. And, it was a few weeks after that when others could feel kicks on the outside. I felt a lot more inside movements, like the baby rolling and such, than I did kicks for a good, long while.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#5 of 7 Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all! I'm trying not to worry about not feeling much...it's so hard tho! And it's a bummer to read everyone talking about all of the kicks they're feeling when there is so little movement for me yet. Sigh. :) So it goes. 

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

#6 of 7 Old 03-27-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post

I did with both of mine, and yes, I felt movement much later. I think around 20-21 weeks with my first and around 17-18 weeks with my second. And, it was a few weeks after that when others could feel kicks on the outside. I felt a lot more inside movements, like the baby rolling and such, than I did kicks for a good, long while.

DDCC to say: ditto this, right down to the number of weeks!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#7 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 PM

What your first an active baby in utero?  Holy cow, mine was.  I think the idea of kick counts were silly- he was constantly reminding me he was there!

With dd, she was VERY quiet in utero add to that an anterior placenta, and there where times I was actually scared because she was so quiet!  I did TONS of kick counts, just to reassure my mind! 

The biggest differences I noticed that were related to the placental position was what another person stated- that sometimes it was harder for the dr to find the heartbeat at my appts, and she liked to hide behind it during my ultrasound too.  Kicks, punches, and rolls were far fewer and inbetween w/ dd's pregnacny, and it's probably due to a combination of the placenta and her disposition- she turned out to be a very quiet baby, too! 

HTH! 

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page