Let's talk baby carriers! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 03-23-2011, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What's your favorite baby carrier and why? Post links too! flowersforyou.gif

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#2 of 28 Old 03-23-2011, 05:38 PM

I like to have a variety, because I have not found one carrier that is appropriate for newborn onward in all circumstances, you know? We have slings, ring slings, a wrap, a bjorn, an ergo, and a deuter backpack. We are serious about babywearing, you see. fuzmalesling.gif

But, I think for newborns, I prefer a wrap like a moby or a sleepywrap, then for infants a ring sling, then for infants/toddlers an ergo. But, I have not ever tried an ergo with an infant insert. We may add an insert to our repertoire. 

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#3 of 28 Old 03-23-2011, 05:45 PM

My preference with my two children was the same as yours - love the cozy Moby wrap for a newborn, then a ring sling for a slightly older babe (though I did use the Moby for quite a few months as my second baby never minded facing inward) and then for about a year I used the AngelPack LX SSC with my heavy girl, which I bought with some of the money I got from selling the Ergo I used with my son (too bulky for me). I still have them so I will start off with them again and see how it goes.

I'd highly recommend the AngelPack though ,esp if you have taller babies like I do or are looking for a little extra head support - the pouch is really deep and can be folded over at the top. I used it nearly daily for a year and it shows no signs of wear!

#4 of 28 Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 PM

with my other kids, i used a ring sling almost exclusively, and it was a lifesaver.  this time, i have a pouch sling (like a Hotsling) and am looking forward to trying that out, though i imagine i'll still use the ring sling as well.  i'm really looking forward to using my mei tei (BabyHawk.)  i borrowed one from a friend with my last baby, but he was getting almost too big to carry (and would rather walk most of the time, lol.)  so i didn't get to use it much, but i really did like it. 

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#5 of 28 Old 03-23-2011, 09:39 PM
L J

I am a mei tai girl, for the most part. I love the Mei Tai Baby brand for wee ones, because the bottom is adjustable so smaller babies can have their legs out comfortably. My favorite will always be my OMT wrap conversion made from an old, workhorse Hopp. Its faded and ugly but its so darn comfortable - I can still tote the 4 year old around in it if I need to.

I have a Beco and a soft woven wrap for when the mood strikes, and a couple of pouches that I keep in the diaper bag or car for quick hip carries, but mei tais are my favorite, for sure.

I am thinking that this time I will try a SleepyWrap, because I have heard great things. I was a Moby wrap burn out - I never could figure that darn thing out. The SleepWrap is touted to be a bit more substantial and easier to wrap with.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#6 of 28 Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 AM

LJ, How is the sleepywrap more substantial? I looked at the web-site and it looks exactly the same as a Moby. Is the fabric thicker? I tried to find on their site if they had a section that explained the differences but to no avail.

Has anyone tried both and had a preference? Why did one work better?

Radical student midwife and doula. Expecting our first lovebug 9/2011
#7 of 28 Old 03-24-2011, 06:53 AM

I have a Moby and a Kangaroo Pouch, as well as an Ergo for later.  I would love it if someone gave me some kind of woven wrap, like a Maya wrap, since they are good for heftier babies, and last time a had a 9 and a half pounder.

I know the Moby will save my first few months when I am getting used to toting a newborn while chasing my 4-year-old.

#8 of 28 Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 AM

I love my dydimos woven wrap. It's very expensive, but so supportive. I've hiked mountains with my 30 lbs toddler in that thing. Amazing. I've never tried a moby wrap, but I think I'll get one for the newborn stage. Sorry I don't know how to add a link!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#9 of 28 Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I love my home sewed ringsling... the link with the directions is: slingmemommy.com

And I love my no sew wrap, which feels just the same as my Moby.

I LOVE the Ergo, and have a BabyTrekker, too.

Oh, and a hand-me-down Mei Tai is one of my favorites for pre-walkers.

Wife to the greatest guy, and mommy to six handsome and fun boys!
#10 of 28 Old 03-24-2011, 07:59 AM

I have a ring sling (Maya) that worked great for newborns/infant, but I grew to hate it as my babies approached 20lbs; I grow big babies, so they reached it early.  With my last, I bought a used Moby, which was great even after 20lbs (at 4months old!).  I bought an Ergo just before getting pregnant again, but I'm still toting my 26lber on my back and occasionally on the front, even though i'm nearly 4mo preggo.  I don't know that I would use it for the newborn/small infant stage, and I plan to use the Moby for that period. 

I love the ease and versatility of the ring sling, but for me, it got to be so uncomfortable as baby got bigger.  It hurt my shoulder and back.  That is why I chose to go with the kind that goes over both shoulders--I needed the support.  I also borrowed a friend's mei tei, and thought that was very comfy.

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

#11 of 28 Old 03-24-2011, 09:08 AM

Another mei tai girl here! I sew my own, so I can just make them whatever size I need. I have a small one for little babes and one with really short straps for when we get to that when we get to that stage where it's up and down all day. I'm thinking I might get a Babyhawk this time.

I also have a Moby, which I loved when DD was newborn but she outgrew it pretty quickly, and I have an Ergo, which I hated until she got to be about 2 yrs old. Now it's about the only way I can carry her. And a ring sling to stick in the diaper bag for baby carrying emergencies.

goldfish.gif Mischa 9.30.08, ribbonpb.gif Willow 7.4.10 (21 weeks), rainbow1284.gif Nate 8.27.11

#12 of 28 Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

From birth to about 4 months, I prefer the Maya Adjustable Pouch.  They no longer make them anymore though.  I have two and I cherish them!  A black one and a natural one.  After 4 months, it gets too hard on my back to wear them on the front for long.  The weight really affects me and I can't do hip carry.  It throws my hips out of alignment too bad and I'm hurting!  So after the pouch we move on to the Beco Butterfly.  Actually my favorite is the Beco Gen. 4, but I have 2 Beco Butterfly II's as well with the infant insert.  I don't really like them as well as the Gen 4 because of there is so many layers of fabric with the insert and in the Beco Butterfly I, there is an infant insert, but you can't take it out...so there's really a lot of layers in that one!  Anyway, I use the Beco until they won't let me carry them anymore.  Usually when they start walking.  I used to have a lot of different carriers and have tried a plethra of carriers over the years.  Some bought , some borrowed.  A girl I knew in my old state did a babywearing group and loaned out carriers for people to try before you bought them at her store so I got to try lots of stuff.  I used to have a Mei Tei too, but it killed my back right between my shoulders.  Didn't like the ring sling, didn't like the wraps, I fell in the love with the Beco because it puts the weight on your hips, not your back and I could carry my kid for hours and not have the least bit of pain or burning in my shoulders or back.  http://www.becobabycarrier.com/  I have a couple of pouches that I've never tried before waiting to see how I like them with the new baby too.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#13 of 28 Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

i also went w/a moby for the early months, and then maya wrap and beco. i also LOVE our hippychick hipseat, but they aren't widely available in the US: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hippychick-HIP001-Hipseat/dp/B000NI2YEE

has anyone tried the kokopax? i like the look of them -

http://www.kokopax.com/

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

#14 of 28 Old 03-24-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

I love all of these great ideas! I used the New Native  http://www.newnativebaby.com/index.asp for both of my kids as newborns but I found as they got bigger and outgrew liking the "womb" position as much I turned to a ring sling and I used the Maya Wrap https://www.mayawrap.com/ which was great for hip carrying as well. Plus the extra fabric is great if you don't feel like whipping out your whole boob in public! I like the adjustable factor as well and the New Native is not although I prefer the support for a New Born. I never liked having them chest facing as much as with carriers like the Bjorn which was all the rage (and stupidly over priced then!) at that time. Id like to check out the Sleepy Wrap and I was impressed to see it was only $40. Some of the wraps are outrageously priced like the Dydimos. I tried that once and I felt like I was a mummy, the sleepy wrap looks like less fabric! I like the convenience of the slings but after they reach about 20 lbs they start to kill my shoulders. Any try the Dr Sears Balboa? http://balboababy.com/

#15 of 28 Old 03-24-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

How about a MAN friendly carrier! LOL...yeah, my DH is a mans man. Not the metro guy or the guy comfortable in a pink tie. Cant see him in a sling, he said he'd try but maybe if it were camo biggrinbounce.gif hahaha! ...I looked at the Beco but holy COW its $150 and it says not suitable for a baby under 3 months? Is that so? Thoughts?

#16 of 28 Old 03-24-2011, 04:20 PM

I'd get an Ergo with the infant insert (or a rolled up small towel.)  Not quite as much $ as the Beco, versatile and sporty. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

How about a MAN friendly carrier! LOL...yeah, my DH is a mans man. Not the metro guy or the guy comfortable in a pink tie. Cant see him in a sling, he said he'd try but maybe if it were camo biggrinbounce.gif hahaha! ...I looked at the Beco but holy COW its $150 and it says not suitable for a baby under 3 months? Is that so? Thoughts?

#17 of 28 Old 03-24-2011, 04:36 PM

I used an extra-long Maya wrap for birth to age 2 almost daily and have never really needed another carrier. It works well for my plus-size body because I think the wide fabric hides the lumps and bumps. It did take some practice and I learned lots of different wraps for different ages and stages from Youtube. Lately I have been tying it as a simple hip sling, which 2.5yo ds likes.

My husband used a small fabric sling when ds was a newborn, as well as a terribly uncomfortable looking Baby Bjorn thing. For the past year or so he has used a frame style backpack. It is too big and clunky on me, but he finds it comfortable and practical. It is something like this one.

For this baby, I really want to buy an Ergo to go with the wrap. I tried a friend's Ergo and really liked how quick it was to get on and get going! They come up gently used on Kijiji now and then so I'm keeping my eyes peeled so I don't have to spend the CAD$140.

#18 of 28 Old 03-24-2011, 05:45 PM

I love my Moby wrap for newborns up until around 4 months then we switch to the Beco Butterfly II. It came with a newborn insert and said it was perfectly safe for newborns, it just felt too bulky as a front carrier for me because I have a larger chest. I love it for back carries though!

#19 of 28 Old 03-25-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know what the difference between a Moby Wrap and a Sleepy Wrap is?

Anyone try the Balboa?

#20 of 28 Old 03-27-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

Anyone know what the difference between a Moby Wrap and a Sleepy Wrap is?

Anyone try the Balboa?

The biggest difference that I have noticed is the fabric. The Moby fabric is very t-shirt like, stretching only in one direction. It tends to bag out and not bounce right back. The Sleepy is thicker and stretchier and doesn't need to be readjusted as much because it doesn't get so saggy.

I have not ever tried a Balboa. I believe that there were some Balboa designs recalled last year due to infant deaths.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#21 of 28 Old 03-27-2011, 03:55 PM

I've tried so many different ones...

My back and all my other joints for that matter, are really bad- so I have only been able to use soft structured carriers comfortably. I love my Ergo and I also got a Beco in my dream print on FSOT which I was really excited about. I'm waiting to use that with the new baby :)

#22 of 28 Old 03-27-2011, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post

I've tried so many different ones...

My back and all my other joints for that matter, are really bad- so I have only been able to use soft structured carriers comfortably. I love my Ergo and I also got a Beco in my dream print on FSOT which I was really excited about. I'm waiting to use that with the new baby :)

Ergo and Beco look the same to me. What's the difference? I cant seem to find them locally to see them in person. I was exclusively a sling mama for my last kids but Id like to branch out this time around with so many new fun things to try!!!

#23 of 28 Old 03-27-2011, 08:30 PM

I love my baby carriers joy.gif

I have tried lots and have my favorites for sure!

Love the Moby for the first few months, but I can't use the Moby after my babies reach 15lbs. as it pulls too much on my back (too much stretch in the fabric).  After the Moby, I use a woven wrap mostly (Didymos and Easy Care are my favorites).  I use the woven wraps primarily for napping and anytime the baby will be on me for a long time.

In my car, I have my BabyHawk mei tais....my favorite on the go carrier...and super easy to use.  I think this is the easiest type of carrier to use (imo:))

I also have a ring sling that I use in the car for super quick in/out of the store trips.  I can't do one hip carries for very long as they throw my back off, but the ring sling is great for about 6 months on, when baby can sit up on your hip (and super easy to nurse in a ring sling too!)

Things I own/have owned that I don't like are my New Native pouch...just not as versatile to me Peace.gif and I also hated my Beco Butterfly duck.giflol....way to many buckles, I hated that I had to put the baby on my front side before sliding them around to my back....ehh...just not worth the effort to me....

For this baby, I would like to get a Didymos Indio love.gif

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#24 of 28 Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I always use the Moby wrap for the 1st several weeks/few months, and then use my Maya ring sling until, well, the next baby comes. lol

I lovelovelove my slings & can't imagine life without them! :)

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#25 of 28 Old 03-28-2011, 11:50 AM

A couple thoughts on a couple previous posts:

Man friendly- Definitely the ergo.  My husband, who won't touch the Moby (I think the wrapping scares him), loves the ergo.  He's used it a ton- both front carry and back.

Differences between Ergo and Becko- I *just* got a Becko at a consignment sale. They're the same in regards to essential function- the both offer front and back carry, where the weight is centered around your hips, not your back.  The biggest difference is that w/ the Ergo there is nothing between you and your baby (unless you're using the newborn insert).  With the becko, there is a layer between you and your baby.  The becko I have has a built-in, removeable (doesn't that make sense?) infant instert.  The ergo's infant insert is sold separately.  And then there's the fabric.  Beckos, in my opinoin, are a little more "pretty" and have those pretty fabric choices.  The Ergo, with it's rugged cotton canvas-like fabric is a little more utilitarian, but they do have that zippered front pocket, which I have found to be hugely useful.

I have a moby, a ring sling, a pouch-ring sling hybrid, an ergo, and now a becko.  I love them.  They all serve their functions.  Like many others posted, I use my moby the most in the newborn phase.  I used it with my beefy little one until he was about 20 lbs, and honestly, the moby saved my first-time-mom sanity.  My son HATED his carseat, and after going on any errand in the car he'd be SOOO mad, it would take him forever to calm down, so I never wanted to go anywhere.  Once I discovered the Moby, I knew that I could go anywhere, and that as soon as we got there I could pop him in and he'd be happy.  From then on I became a mobile mama!  It was SUCH a releif.  And then I added the ergo and the pouch/sling hybrid, and I was addicted!  W/ dd i got a pretty ring sling, and now in prep for #3 I've got the Becko.  My husband thinks I have a problem! :)

ETA:  Since I posted this, I've got some new perspective on the Ergo Vs. Becko and DH input.  He's relatively tall (just over 6 ft), broad-shouldered. While he likes using the ergo, it does ride up for him a bit in the back, and it takes some adjusting to get a good fit- for both front and back carryies.  He just tried out the becko w/ our 19 month old, and he REALLY like how it fits- it was much more natural for him to get her into it, get it adjusted, and he said it was MUCH more comfortable. I think he's going to choose the the Becko from here on out.

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#26 of 28 Old 03-28-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnlovebe View Post

A couple thoughts on a couple previous posts:

Man friendly- Definitely the ergo.  My husband, who won't touch the Moby (I think the wrapping scares him), loves the ergo.  He's used it a ton- both front carry and back.

Differences between Ergo and Becko- I *just* got a Becko at a consignment sale. They're the same in regards to essential function- the both offer front and back carry, where the weight is centered around your hips, not your back.  The biggest difference is that w/ the Ergo there is nothing between you and your baby (unless you're using the newborn insert).  With the becko, there is a layer between you and your baby.  The becko I have has a built-in, removeable (doesn't that make sense?) infant instert.  The ergo's infant insert is sold separately.  And then there's the fabric.  Beckos, in my opinoin, are a little more "pretty" and have those pretty fabric choices.  The Ergo, with it's rugged cotton canvas-like fabric is a little more utilitarian, but they do have that zippered front pocket, which I have found to be hugely useful.

I have a moby, a ring sling, a pouch-ring sling hybrid, an ergo, and now a becko.  I love them.  They all serve their functions.  Like many others posted, I use my moby the most in the newborn phase.  I used it with my beefy little one until he was about 20 lbs, and honestly, the moby saved my first-time-mom sanity.  My son HATED his carseat, and after going on any errand in the car he'd be SOOO mad, it would take him forever to calm down, so I never wanted to go anywhere.  Once I discovered the Moby, I knew that I could go anywhere, and that as soon as we got there I could pop him in and he'd be happy.  From then on I became a mobile mama!  It was SUCH a releif.  And then I added the ergo and the pouch/sling hybrid, and I was addicted!  W/ dd i got a pretty ring sling, and now in prep for #3 I've got the Becko.  My husband thinks I have a problem! :)

Very helpful, thank you! My DH already has informed me he wants something in camo! LOL, shaking head! I think I will end up with a half a dozen different items myself, hey why not?energy.gif

#27 of 28 Old 03-28-2011, 12:00 PM

I bet you could get a Beco in camo print! Or maybe a Babyhawk Oh Snap...they do custom fabrics I think?

#28 of 28 Old 03-28-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ive got my eyes out!!! Supposedly there is a store called "Papoose" about 45 minutes from here that has a ton of slings and carriers. I'm going to check that out real soon! Otherwise Craigs list has had a few but not it my style so I will keep checking. Ebay is ridiculous, I don't know where people get off selling items for 3x what they are worth. I barely bother anymore, I don't have the patients or time to bid. I always forget and lose anyway! I don't see him liking anything he has to tie on, he will want a sturdy system with straps and stuff. Manly man with the sweet tiny baby! He is so excited, its just adorable! partners.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page