Does anyone else have bad pelvic pain? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-28-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have really loose joints in the first place, and I have fibromyalgia/chronic pain syndrome at least since I was in the military :(

With this pregnancy it has started WAY earlier than usual and it's gotten to the point today where I can barely even walk around the house! I am really frustrated because I've been trying to exercise but it's really hard when I'm in so much pain. My pubic bone is the main problem but really everything down there because of the pregnancy hormones/relaxin.

I have this pregnancy support belt and it does help a little but it's also kind of annoying to wear when you have to readjust it every time you have to pee!!

Oh yeah, and I don't remember it starting until like the 3rd trimester with DS, but this time around it literally started at 10 weeks!

#2 of 17 Old 03-28-2011, 12:34 PM

Yes and I see a chiropractor. It helps so much!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#3 of 17 Old 03-28-2011, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

I do see a chiropractor...every week in fact! I honestly don't know how I would get through it without him! And the post partum stuff to so everything goes back to normal in the right place!

#4 of 17 Old 03-28-2011, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Do you have SPD?

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#5 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

What's SPD?

#6 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 AM

SPD is symphisis pubic dysfunction. It's when your pubic bone separates early and or too much. It causes severe pain in your crotch. Things like putting on pants becomes impossible. Have you talked to your chiro about the pain. Mine will do an adjustment of the pubic bone itself.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#7 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 08:47 AM

#8 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishmommy View Post

SPD is symphisis pubic dysfunction. It's when your pubic bone separates early and or too much. It causes severe pain in your crotch. Things like putting on pants becomes impossible. Have you talked to your chiro about the pain. Mine will do an adjustment of the pubic bone itself.

I'm pretty sure this is it, I really can't put pants on anymore unless I'm sitting down, can't get up off the floor from a kneeling position...even rolling over in bed at night causes severe pain!

Never heard of this book but I am definitely going to get it! Thank you!!

#9 of 17 Old 04-04-2011, 08:21 PM

I haven't been around the ddc since the early early part of my pregnancy, but I actually was checking in today to see if anyone else was experiencing this.  I could have written your post.  My whole pelvis just feels wrecked all the time... I'm 16 weeks and my hips/place where legs and pelvis meet are sore ALL the time, and the pain in my pubic bone stops me short sometimes.  It feels like it needs to pop (and mercifully, sometimes it does, though it's getting harder to make it happen). All this going on in my pelvis makes me extremely stiff also.  Like if I sit down for 10 minutes after being on my feet a while, I can hardly move when I first get up again.

Like you, it started really early this time.  With my first pregnancy I experienced this but it started more toward the middle/end of the 2nd trimester.  It started around 10-11 weeks for me this time.  I had been walking on the treadmill almost daily, but it got to the point where it was really exacerbating my discomfort, so I haven't been going for the past 2 weeks or so.  I was thinking I'd try the stationary bike and see if that's any easier on me.   I tried to bring it up at my last ob appt, but I don't think I made myself clear when describing what I was feeling.  She said "are you stretching? That's really important." like that was going to do anything for me at all.  Anyway, I hadn't heard of SPD, but it sounds just like what I'm dealing with.  I've got an appointment next week and I'll bring it up, and maybe get a chiro referral.  I'd love to hear if anything helps you.

#10 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieMama View Post

I haven't been around the ddc since the early early part of my pregnancy, but I actually was checking in today to see if anyone else was experiencing this.  I could have written your post.  My whole pelvis just feels wrecked all the time... I'm 16 weeks and my hips/place where legs and pelvis meet are sore ALL the time, and the pain in my pubic bone stops me short sometimes.  It feels like it needs to pop (and mercifully, sometimes it does, though it's getting harder to make it happen). All this going on in my pelvis makes me extremely stiff also.  Like if I sit down for 10 minutes after being on my feet a while, I can hardly move when I first get up again.

Like you, it started really early this time.  With my first pregnancy I experienced this but it started more toward the middle/end of the 2nd trimester.  It started around 10-11 weeks for me this time.  I had been walking on the treadmill almost daily, but it got to the point where it was really exacerbating my discomfort, so I haven't been going for the past 2 weeks or so.  I was thinking I'd try the stationary bike and see if that's any easier on me.   I tried to bring it up at my last ob appt, but I don't think I made myself clear when describing what I was feeling.  She said "are you stretching? That's really important." like that was going to do anything for me at all.  Anyway, I hadn't heard of SPD, but it sounds just like what I'm dealing with.  I've got an appointment next week and I'll bring it up, and maybe get a chiro referral.  I'd love to hear if anything helps you.

STRETCHING?! I mean come on are you serious? That's like "hey doc, I got run over by a truck yesterday, what should I do?" "Oh, just go ahead and do some stretches every morning."

Anyways lol- I'm sorry you are going through this, I wouldn't wish it on anyone :(

I am doing water aerobics now (I have a membership at the Y) because I can't manage the elliptical now either, much less the treadmill! Being in the water is literally the only time I'm NOT in pain so I'm really enjoying it.

Other than that the only thing that helps is wearing one of those pregnancy support belts, the kind you can get at Motherhood. But for it to work I have to wear it ALL the time, except when I'm in bed. So that can be a little annoying too because hello- what pregnant woman doesn't have to pee every 5 minutes! Plus to get it tight enough sometimes it bothers my belly. But overall anything that helps is worth it so I'm trying to wear it more.

#11 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 11:37 AM

Yeah, I thought that was pretty stupid advice too.  But to be fair, I think I said "my hips have been really really sore, especially after i walk" and we may have just been talking about my exercise habits. I don't know if I managed to get out that my pubic bone has been hurting a lot as well before she started in about stretching being so important.  It was one of those short visits where all they do is weight, bp, fundal height and fetal hb and you're done.  She seemed to be in a bit of a rush too, which didn't help. So basically, she wasn't very thorough, but I wasn't really being a very good advocate for myself either.  Next time I'll explain exactly what's going on and tell her from what I've read and heard from other moms, it sounds like spd. Maybe then she'll slow down.  Aaanyway I'll look into one of those pregnancy support belts... I also have a y membership so maybe I'll take the kiddo swimming soon. I know he'll like that.  Of course, that means I'll have to actually break down and shave my legs... <sigh>  redface.gif

#12 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I found the water aerobics tires me out way more than the other stuff I was doing anyways! I also signed my kids up for swimming lessons and they start next week :o

They have a really nice child care at our Y, sometimes I go there JUST because the kids are being difficult and I need a break LOL!

#13 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

And I only shave the bottom half of my legs..HAH!

#14 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 02:34 PM

I have been experiencing this pain again too- ouch! It started around 20 weeks in my first pregnancy, and in this one at 18 weeks, off and on.

How much do you think swimming helps you? I will look into seeing a chiropractor. How about seeing an osteopath? Would that help do you think?

Personally, I find anything asymmetrical like walking up stairs, deep stretches, riding a bike, makes my pelvis hurt more. I had a support belt in my first pregnancy, but it was way too small and didn't do much but annoy me constantly.

Actually, I find the prospect of 20 more weeks of this kind of pain really depressing.

Heather

#15 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishmommy View Post

Wow! Thanks! This is my fourth pregnancy and third where I've had terrible hip pain. I never knew there was a name for it until now. Now I can look for specific ways to help my pain. So far I've found that minding my posture helps quite a bit and I plan on starting strength building exercises. I got Jane Fonda's Workout Book for Pregnancy at the library today because the only other pregnancy workouts I could find were yoga which takes me down for days. Fonda's book is a kick in the pants because of the era, but looks to have lots of appropriate exercises and actually good birthing info, too! I'm going to try the exercises that you don't sit spread eagle or twist too much. Anyone have strength building exercises that work for me to do until I can start pool exercises in June?

Wife to James mom to dd(1999) ds1(2001)and ds2(7/08)
: * : * * : * * :
#16 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

I think the pool helps because it gets the weight off the effected area, not to mention I can actually move in ways that I can't anymore usually lol...so I'm strengthening my pelvic muscles that I haven't been using because of the pain!  I have heard of osteopaths but that they are basically like "chiropractor lite" which is not what I'm going for. I have a friend who would ONLY see an osteopath because they have an actual MD. Wheras chiropractors only have a "doctor of chiropractic" but they go to a very intense 4 year training program for it. 

#17 of 17 Old 04-05-2011, 08:39 PM

Im 18 yrs old and i have fibromyalgia as well, its very tough for me to on some days more then others. i try doing simple exercise when i can like a short walk around the block, and cleaning the house. and sometimes thats too much. i have been having alot of painful cramping too. im not sure if its normal but if it is i never realized being pregnant hurts. i just turned 5 months today, and this is my first.

Mommy fo one, hubby and dog; suffers from Depression & Fibromyalgia; First Year Nursing Student!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page