Who is cloth diapering? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 112 Old 04-02-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
Phineasmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure about that- I just know that a lot of kiddos get bad rashes with synthetic fabrics. And I'm talking like...horrible rash with pustules that looked like pimples, it was really terrible! I stripped my diapers several times and changed detergents and nothing else helped, so I had to conclude it was the fabrics.

 

I have used original Tide, Charlie's, All free & clear, Arm & Hammer sensitive/free & clear?, and I think 7th generation as well.

 

I really like Charlie's powder, it cleaned the heck out of my washing machine the first time I used it I was like holy crap dude! I never had stink issues or buildup when I used it and I felt like it got everything super clean.

 

 

Phineasmama is offline  
#62 of 112 Old 04-02-2011, 01:22 PM
 
Dlynn918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, the "weeping" rashes. So awful! DD had that even with cloth. Therefor naked bum all summer! Charlies huh? Never heard of it but it sounds great! Ill keep that in mind! I think I used arm & hammer and borax? I cant remember now....lol.


And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
Dlynn918 is offline  
#63 of 112 Old 04-02-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
 
Phineasmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think they sell it more at natural food stores and things like that? We have an "organic" grocery store called Earth Fare and that's where I get mine! It's $8 for a small bag, but it will last a LONG time because you only need a tiny bit for each wash.

Dlynn918 likes this.
Phineasmama is offline  
#64 of 112 Old 04-02-2011, 07:20 PM
 
dramamamax4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I used Kissaluvs with a newborn and loathed them.  I found they were not absorbant in the last.  I actually liked the Happy Heiny pocket dipes, as I could stuff them and they were a bit trim.  I never recommend the patterned PUL though, only solid.  Love FCB diapers-fittend and AIOs.  Bottombumpers also give a great fit.  I am in the infancy of getting my diapers, but there are so many changes out there now.  Lots of my old favorites are no more.  I am also considering a local diaper service, but got to get past my prefold aversion.   I just think I must be doing something wrong when folding them.  They just come out so bulky. . .


Christine belly.gifmarried to Cody.superhero.gifMom to Orion (8) guitar.gif, Lourdes (6) love.gif and Britton (3)biggrinbounce.gif.  Expecting someone new September 2011. stork-suprise.gif
dramamamax4 is offline  
#65 of 112 Old 04-03-2011, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
 
Phineasmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hated Kissaluvs too! It's like putting a dishrag on a baby...not absorbent at all.

 

The new PUL they are using these days is a 1mm Poly laminated so it doesn't wick like the stuff they used to use. Sometimes the prints fade depending on the colors but I've never had a problem with it other than that.

Phineasmama is offline  
#66 of 112 Old 04-03-2011, 06:09 AM
 
Princessjules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone tried Kushies? My mom uses them for my 3yo brother but he's the first one she's used them for, so idk how durable they are... I like how easy they are to put on.


Wife to DH superhero.gif, Tandem Nursing SAHMfly-by-nursing2.gif to  diaper.gifDS1 9/2011 and babyboy.gif DS2 9/2012

Princessjules is offline  
#67 of 112 Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 AM
 
EarthyLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Central US
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessjules View Post

Has anyone tried Kushies? My mom uses them for my 3yo brother but he's the first one she's used them for, so idk how durable they are... I like how easy they are to put on.



I've used them with my first.  With my 2nd, he was too thin and would pee out the legs, plus he rashed every time I put a cd on him, even though I stripped them, soaked them in vinegar, tried bleach, everything and he would rash every time.  So I went to sposies with him.  I sold my whole lot of Kushies 20 mediums and 20 larges for $90 to a friend.  She used them with her older and babe no problems.  Also, these were the AIO's. They did take a long time to dry because they are so thick, but they are extremely convenient and they held up well too.  There were a few small fray marks around the leg and velcro had a bit of piling on it, but for the amount of use they got and the roughness of being 90% dryer dried, they held up really well for the price.  I had bought them new in a lot off ebay.


Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

EarthyLady is offline  
#68 of 112 Old 04-03-2011, 11:42 AM
 
Princessjules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks, Mandy, that's good to know... It's just alot of money to put out at first, that's DH's issue with the AIOs, hopefully he will realize that what's easier for me will be best for everyone... winky.gif


Wife to DH superhero.gif, Tandem Nursing SAHMfly-by-nursing2.gif to  diaper.gifDS1 9/2011 and babyboy.gif DS2 9/2012

Princessjules is offline  
#69 of 112 Old 04-03-2011, 11:55 AM
 
vtechmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I will be cloth diapering and must admit to being a tad bit overwhelmed.  I did cloth diaper my kiddos but I bought DS's diapers about 12 years ago and used them through DD.  Now I go looking for diapers and before there were a few fitted, AIOs, or prefolds, plus it seems like a lot fewer diaper companies.  Now it's all of those, plus AI2s, pocket diapers, diapering systems, seesh!  Plus the amount of brands seem to have grown massively, either that or I was missing something LOL.

 

My plan for this time around (subject to change) is prefold with a couple of fitted and maybe 2 AIOs for the NB stage, I just can't bring myself to spend a lot on diapers that are so quickly outgrown.  Once the baby is big enough to really use the OS diapers I'll start moving over to those and those I can make myself spend more on since they last so much longer.  I'm up to hearing suggestions on different OS diapers, including WAHM ones :).  A friend who thought about CD'ing but decided not to gave me a box of diapers from her Aunt with a bunch of different ones, like Bumgenius 4.0 and fuzzi bunz so I do have a couple to try out already.

 

 


Alexis, mom to DS 11/99 DD1 01/02 and DD2 09/23/11.
vtechmom is offline  
#70 of 112 Old 04-03-2011, 12:04 PM
 
Gracecody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post

I hated Kissaluvs too! It's like putting a dishrag on a baby...not absorbent at all.

 

The new PUL they are using these days is a 1mm Poly laminated so it doesn't wick like the stuff they used to use. Sometimes the prints fade depending on the colors but I've never had a problem with it other than that.


I totally agree with this! I used them with my daughter and was really careful to thoroughly prep them so they'd be as absorbent as they could be...and she would be front-to-back soaking, wringing wet after a single pee. They were a joke. soft and cute, but a joke. :) About the best thing I can say about them is that they are readily available and easy to resell if you take good care of them. This time I am on the hunt for a similar style diaper but with a doubler, that is much more absorbent and am excited to knit up some soft wool soakers to put over them. I decided to have a couple of super absorbent ones for nighttime but just fitteds, at first. Then I will branch out once it's time to bump up to smalls/one-size diapers. I do love all in ones for going out and pocket diapers for nighttime. My 3yo still wears BumGenius one-size pockets at nighttime and it's cool that the same diaper will fit both of them.

 

the only question in my mind is how many newborn fitteds to buy as my babies haven't been tiny and grew like weeds. I am looking for gently used ones and buying a few at a time.

 

Gracecody is offline  
#71 of 112 Old 04-03-2011, 02:11 PM
 
greenmm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracecody View Post




I totally agree with this! I used them with my daughter and was really careful to thoroughly prep them so they'd be as absorbent as they could be...and she would be front-to-back soaking, wringing wet after a single pee. They were a joke. soft and cute, but a joke. :) About the best thing I can say about them is that they are readily available and easy to resell if you take good care of them. This time I am on the hunt for a similar style diaper but with a doubler, that is much more absorbent and am excited to knit up some soft wool soakers to put over them. I decided to have a couple of super absorbent ones for nighttime but just fitteds, at first. Then I will branch out once it's time to bump up to smalls/one-size diapers. I do love all in ones for going out and pocket diapers for nighttime. My 3yo still wears BumGenius one-size pockets at nighttime and it's cool that the same diaper will fit both of them.

 

the only question in my mind is how many newborn fitteds to buy as my babies haven't been tiny and grew like weeds. I am looking for gently used ones and buying a few at a time.

 


I put this in another post but I loved the NB organic Swaddlebee's fitted for the newborn stage & they lasted me longer than any of the other newborn diapers i had. I don't think they lasted to 16 lbs but i think he was 12 lbs & the only reason he outgrew them is because he has a really long rise. Kissaluvs are definitely not that absorbent, i had doublers but still...their Marvels are much better but rather bulky, their AIO aren't bad. I used to use pockets at night as well but then when he started getting a little older (3-4mo.) & started sleeping a little longer i ended up using Bububebe (B4s) & Holden's Landing Bedbugs fitted for nights at about 5mo, the B4 minky's have been great under wool for us. I tried Blueberry minkys with their combo hemp/microfiber inserts & the superdos in some other dipes I had & those did the best but still only lasted about 6-7hrs at best. Everything else leaked within 4hrs. Unfortunately you probably need like 16 newborn diapers or so just so you have time to wash them & dry them every day.

 

greenmm is offline  
#72 of 112 Old 04-03-2011, 03:43 PM
 
EarthyLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Central US
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I didn't like the Kissaluvs either for the same reasons mentioned.  It was like just having those thick training underwear on them or something.  Cute, but not very workable for us.


Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

EarthyLady is offline  
#73 of 112 Old 04-03-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
 
Phineasmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Most of mine are newborn Mutts, but I have some of the organic Swaddlebees too, and a couple of the Little Boppers newborn which seem to be bigger than the others. She also makes a size small which is "large newborn" and those are supposed to fit up to 15 lbs.

 

Oh and I'm getting some from Star Baby Designs, she's on hyenacart and Etsy.

 

GroVia just came out with a newborn AIO as well and I think I might pick up a few of those. The thing is if you get the popular diapers although they might be more expensive, they'll sell quickly on FSOT and you can get a lot of your money back so you can use it to buy your OS diapers or whatever else you need next :)

Phineasmama is offline  
#74 of 112 Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 PM
 
jaclyn7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We'll be cding this little one as well.  I loved the Bummis organic prefold kit (BTW, our kit came with a few liners for the meconium so you can start using it right away) in the beginning and I also hand a sampler package with a few other diapers and then around 4ish months we switched to mostly pockets -  a mix of OS and sized Fuzzi Bunz and BumGenius for no particular reason other than they were on sale.  Even with our chubbier baby, they've both worked fine so no complaints and they've always been very simple for DH and the rest of our family, too.  I do prefer the FBs because of the snaps, but I haven't had a need to try the BGs with snaps so maybe I might feel differently once I do.  This time, I'm tempted to have more pockets from the start so all the diapers can be washed together if DS isn't out of diapers by then. I love the idea of a stash and a greater variety, but for me I find I get lazy with having to wash things separetly, etc. and it's not my weakness (carriers are).

 

I will say that I do usually use use a hemp or bamboo fitted at night with an Aristocrats cover though...

jaclyn7 is offline  
#75 of 112 Old 04-04-2011, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
 
Phineasmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You wash prefolds and pockets seperately? I always throw everything in at once, whether it's prefolds, pockets or fitteds!

Phineasmama is offline  
#76 of 112 Old 04-04-2011, 08:46 AM
 
hck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: central MA
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthylady View Post

I didn't like the Kissaluvs either for the same reasons mentioned.  It was like just having those thick training underwear on them or something.  Cute, but not very workable for us.



Wow - I didn't have this experience at all.  I'm beginning to wonder if my daughter just never peed!

hck73 is offline  
#77 of 112 Old 04-04-2011, 08:59 AM
 
FarmerCathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Three Lakes, WI
Posts: 4,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmm View Post




I put this in another post but I loved the NB organic Swaddlebee's fitted for the newborn stage & they lasted me longer than any of the other newborn diapers i had. I don't think they lasted to 16 lbs but i think he was 12 lbs & the only reason he outgrew them is because he has a really long rise. Kissaluvs are definitely not that absorbent, i had doublers but still...their Marvels are much better but rather bulky, their AIO aren't bad. I used to use pockets at night as well but then when he started getting a little older (3-4mo.) & started sleeping a little longer i ended up using Bububebe (B4s) & Holden's Landing Bedbugs fitted for nights at about 5mo, the B4 minky's have been great under wool for us. I tried Blueberry minkys with their combo hemp/microfiber inserts & the superdos in some other dipes I had & those did the best but still only lasted about 6-7hrs at best. Everything else leaked within 4hrs. Unfortunately you probably need like 16 newborn diapers or so just so you have time to wash them & dry them every day.

 

Are the swaddlebee's an AIO or do they need a cover?  Thx.
 

 


Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

FarmerCathy is offline  
#78 of 112 Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
 
Phineasmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post


 

Are the swaddlebee's an AIO or do they need a cover?  Thx.
 

 

 

The ones she's talking about are fitteds and they need a cover :)
 

 

Phineasmama is offline  
#79 of 112 Old 04-04-2011, 09:56 AM
 
FarmerCathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Three Lakes, WI
Posts: 4,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post



 

The ones she's talking about are fitteds and they need a cover :)
 

 


Thank you.  thumb.gif

 


Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

FarmerCathy is offline  
#80 of 112 Old 04-04-2011, 11:02 AM
 
t whitehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We cloth diaper!  We used Kissaluv fitteds with 3 covers plus one wool cover for night use.  They worked really well in containing mess and wet.  My big babe outgrow them though in the first three months or so...  Boo!  But they were great while they fit him.  After doing a diaper trial through "the natural baby" we chose the bumGenius 4.0.s  They are so cozy and convenient.  The only downside to these are that they require us to put Kell into HUGE sized clothes.  I had him in 24 months shorts and he's 5 months this Friday.  Yikes!

 

Also, like someone said earlier, the first week of life we used disposables that we received as baby shower gifts (um...thanks, friends...?).  Although at the time I was annoyed we received so many Pampers, the earlier poster was correct in that doing the laundry will be the last thing you want to do that first week.  (And we didn't have anyone lined up to do it for us.)

 

So despite the few caveats we are definitely committed!

t whitehead is offline  
#81 of 112 Old 04-04-2011, 11:48 AM
 
greenmm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaclyn7 View Post

We'll be cding this little one as well.  I loved the Bummis organic prefold kit (BTW, our kit came with a few liners for the meconium so you can start using it right away) in the beginning and I also hand a sampler package with a few other diapers and then around 4ish months we switched to mostly pockets -  a mix of OS and sized Fuzzi Bunz and BumGenius for no particular reason other than they were on sale.  Even with our chubbier baby, they've both worked fine so no complaints and they've always been very simple for DH and the rest of our family, too.  I do prefer the FBs because of the snaps, but I haven't had a need to try the BGs with snaps so maybe I might feel differently once I do.  This time, I'm tempted to have more pockets from the start so all the diapers can be washed together if DS isn't out of diapers by then. I love the idea of a stash and a greater variety, but for me I find I get lazy with having to wash things separetly, etc. and it's not my weakness (carriers are).

 

I will say that I do usually use use a hemp or bamboo fitted at night with an Aristocrats cover though

 

 

You can throw everything together. I know when you wash hemp & stuff like that for the first time you have to wash it separate but after that you don't need to separate anything. Unless you know of something i don't know. Velcro can be a pain in t he laundry tho. :/

 

greenmm is offline  
#82 of 112 Old 04-04-2011, 12:06 PM
 
greenmm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by t whitehead View Post

We cloth diaper!  We used Kissaluv fitteds with 3 covers plus one wool cover for night use.  They worked really well in containing mess and wet.  My big babe outgrow them though in the first three months or so...  Boo!  But they were great while they fit him.  After doing a diaper trial through "the natural baby" we chose the bumGenius 4.0.s  They are so cozy and convenient.  The only downside to these are that they require us to put Kell into HUGE sized clothes.  I had him in 24 months shorts and he's 5 months this Friday.  Yikes!

 

Also, like someone said earlier, the first week of life we used disposables that we received as baby shower gifts (um...thanks, friends...?).  Although at the time I was annoyed we received so many Pampers, the earlier poster was correct in that doing the laundry will be the last thing you want to do that first week.  (And we didn't have anyone lined up to do it for us.)

 

So despite the few caveats we are definitely committed!


Wow! That is quite the difference in clothes size. That's one of the things I hate about cloth is that they don't make clothes big enough in the butt but then you put them in something bigger and they are huge huge huge around the waist. I found that if you want something that you can wear somewhat normal size clothes in you have to go with AIO or AI2 diapers...pockets & fitted just aren't trim enough for the most part. Fuzzibunz aren't too bad, much trimmer than BG 4.0 but I found BG AIOs or my favs AI2s are the trimmest. I love Bottom Bumpers sized & Grasshoppers for AI2s, they are so trim. They aren't as trim as disposables but there is a huge difference when he's wearing those vs pockets or fitteds...HUGE!!! A lot of times they have sales on Bottom Bumpers...once you try those you will probably never go back :)

 

I agree with you on getting disposable diapers as gifts. lol. A lot of friends & family knew we were going cloth but still we got disposables as gifts, not sure they even checked out our registries which had cloth dipes on them...hello??? Yea, I tried to put the word out there but still got like 3 or 4 pkgs. We did use them for about a week as well...when you're so sleep deprived you don't even know how to use your own washer it is easier. I was the same way...like what are we supposed to do with these, don't these people even look at our registry?!" lol.

 

t whitehead likes this.
greenmm is offline  
#83 of 112 Old 04-04-2011, 01:10 PM
 
EDDMayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Huh. We absolutely loved kissaluvs 0 for newborn stage. She never peed out of them, probably because at that age they're getting changed almost every hour. At 4 or 5 weeks we moved into one size diapers like bumGenius and Rump a Rooz.

~Carrie~
Merit Claire born at home, 9lb 8oz
Closet Seattle Mariners fan
EDDMayDay is offline  
#84 of 112 Old 04-04-2011, 03:13 PM
 
jaclyn7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for your experiences re washing them together - I'll have to look into it a bit more as that makes me a little more likely to still stick with mostly prefolds & fitteds and just add a few small pockets for out & about.  
 
I had read that you could once the natural oils are stripped but most people IRL told me to try and keep them separate and since I never actually had to wash them together as we switched to mostly pockets once he outgrew the small covers, I never really looked into it.  My girlfriend has never had to strip her diapers, so I've just taken her word for it but obviously there might be some other options.
 
Per her direction, I've always washed my hemp diapers on Sunday mornings together and I do my other diapers every two days or so. It's been so easy and I think that's what I'm looking to replicate with this new little one. Cold rinse on the gentle cycle (sometimes with a dash of vinegar); hot wash with a bit of Nelly's and then a quick cold rinse and we hang everything to dry - they're only about a year old so I haven't needed to strip anything yet.  Wool is handwashed every two weeks or so with Eucalan. Any other thoughts on washing?
jaclyn7 is offline  
#85 of 112 Old 04-05-2011, 01:33 PM
 
Dlynn918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Great Link for moms new to cloth:

 

http://www.2theroot.com/choices-of-cloth-diapers/

 

Enjoy!


And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
Dlynn918 is offline  
#86 of 112 Old 04-05-2011, 04:02 PM
 
dfunk98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

we used fb's for our last 2, but never at the newborn stage.  i am thinking about doing prefolds and covers for that.  this will be our last and i'm of the mindset "why spend more $, if this will be our last?"  how many covers do you think i would need for the first 3 months or so?  we do a cd wash every 2-3 days.  i'd like to get xsmall thirsties covers, maybe the one size ones as the baby gets older, not sure though. 

i'm also planning on making some covers and maybe even some pockets.  we have fb's in small and medium and the smalls didn't fit ds well until he was about 3 months and he was a big boy.  he was the only one to wear the smalls, so they are in great shape.  the mediums have really seen better days.  i've replaced elastic in most of them and the fabric isn't holding up too well on some of them, so i'm thinking of making some pockets for that size, too.

and what about sewing soakers out of fleece?  does it really work?  i just feel like it would leak, or get the clothes wet.

anyone here sew any dipes before?  i cannot knit or crochet.


Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

dfunk98 is offline  
#87 of 112 Old 04-06-2011, 07:11 AM
 
Dlynn918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone ever used Flat Fold diapers and folded them origami style? I was hesitant at first because the diapers look paper thin but I saw a cool video on how to fold them from a woman who I bought a wool soaker from and it looks worth trying out! Check it out here:

 

http://allaboutclothdiapers.com/how-to-fold-a-flat-cloth-diaper-origami-style/

 

Pretty cool huh? She swears by it and says that the fit is way better for newborns especially. I might have to learn how to knit! :0)


And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
Dlynn918 is offline  
#88 of 112 Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 AM
 
cparkly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gazing at stars and stubbing my toes.
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I did used prefolds with DS, but my mother used flats for all of us. I changed many, many flat diapers for my little brother. Our default fold was the "origami" style. They are simple to use, very, very simple to wash and they dry quickly. I am only supplementing my great prefold and cover stash with more wool covers and longies, and a dozen flat diapers. I have bought all of my cotton prefold from Green Mountain Diapers and plan to buy my flats there, too.


treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

cparkly is offline  
#89 of 112 Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 AM
 
bignerpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just starting CDing my 2 year old, and I'm using BG 4.0s. We tried prefolds and Bummis covers, and it was a disaster. We're both happy with the BGs, but I do need to get some more, and I was thinking about getting some Fuzzibunz. When my new baby comes, I have a TON of disposables left from my son, so I figured I'd just use those until he or she fits into the BGs. I seem to have pretty big babies, so it might not be that long.


 


ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

bignerpie is offline  
#90 of 112 Old 04-06-2011, 11:44 AM
 
Dlynn918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by cparkly View Post

I did used prefolds with DS, but my mother used flats for all of us. I changed many, many flat diapers for my little brother. Our default fold was the "origami" style. They are simple to use, very, very simple to wash and they dry quickly. I am only supplementing my great prefold and cover stash with more wool covers and longies, and a dozen flat diapers. I have bought all of my cotton prefold from Green Mountain Diapers and plan to buy my flats there, too.



Isnt GMD the best? I got all of my prefolds and covers from there with DD. Im trying a couple of AIO that I found on clearance but in general they are just way too expensive full price to use exclusively for us. I'm going to try knitting a few soakers and see how that works out. PUL are economical but I dislike the lack of breathability. I found some free patterns on Ravelry that Im going to give a try for shorties and longies. I think I might give the flats a shot this time, looks nice for NB cause you can custom fold to size without the bulk and they are easy to wash/dry. :0)


And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
Dlynn918 is offline  
Reply

Tags
Diapering , Cloth Diapers , Diaper , Happy Heinys , Kissaluvs , Fuzzi Bunz , Fuzzibunz , Fuzzibunz One Size Cloth Diaper , Bumgenius , Bumgenius One Size Cloth Diaper Blossom , Bumgenius 3 0 One Size Cloth Diaper

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off