Who is cloth diapering? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 112 Old 04-06-2011, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope this isn't totally OT, but wanted to know what you mamas recommend for washers for washing cd's.  I'm definitely going to need one and by that time dh should have a better job.  Currently we wash our clothes at MIL's.  I don't think bringing over cd's all the time will work, but we do have a clothes line and I'll buy one of those things to line dry inside as well.  I want to get a top loader since I hear the front loaders you can't do a soak and I don't think I want to spend that much on a washer anyway, but if you recommend a top loader that would be way awesome.  Let me know if this is too OT and I'll go to the cd part of the forum.  Thanks.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#92 of 112 Old 04-06-2011, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

They have some really awesome high efficiency top loaders now that have all the features of the FLers! I would just check out Sears or Best Buy or something and see what you can find.

#93 of 112 Old 04-06-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post

They have some really awesome high efficiency top loaders now that have all the features of the FLers! I would just check out Sears or Best Buy or something and see what you can find.

Our washing machine broke a few months ago and we went with an HE top loader. In my research I read so many bad things about the front loaders that I felt it was a gamble, I didn't want to spend a fortune, and I didn't want an all-digital machine -- too many things to go wrong and result in expensive repairs! So the result was a HE top loader that still has several cycle options and is doing a fantastic job for us. Since it's a HE we qualified for town and state energy rebates totaling $150 and the washer was about $500 on sale. I am really happy with it. I typically just use the hot cycle for my CD's and to soak them I simply start a normal cycle and pause it once the drum has filled.

#94 of 112 Old 04-06-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

I WISH I could have gotten the top loaders ><

Our washer just cut out suddenly, and our dryer took like 3 cycles to dry as it was! I went to one of those lease to own places because I wanted a GOOD set that would last a really long time, and I couldn't shell out that kind of cash all at once. So I ended up with Samsung front loaders which are awesome except for cleaning CDs. I paid it all off with our tax return so I didn't have to pay any extra financing costs (that's how they get you) and of course when I went in to the store to pay it off they had some brand new HE top loaders lol!

#95 of 112 Old 04-07-2011, 12:16 PM

Top loader all the way.  Frankly you NEED a lot of water to get cloth diapers really clean.  They are freakishly absorbent, after all!  My routine is as follows (and I combine natural fibers and microfiber after all prepping is completed, btw):

1.  Cold rinse (gets out the pee and poo) on quickest shortest cycle.

2.  Hot wash with recommended amount of cloth-safe detergent (I use Dropps) on the "long" wash setting with the most "bashing" agitation.  I sometimes lower the water level so that they are really chugging around in there, not floating gently without touching each other.  This is important to avoid buildup.

3.  Final rinse.  Cold.

I have never had stinky diapers.  (Knock on wood) My baby is 11 months and I've used cloth from Day 5, when her umbilical cord fell off.

~Carrie~
Merit Claire born at home, 9lb 8oz
Closet Seattle Mariners fan
#96 of 112 Old 04-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the washer rec's.  I think it would be best not to go digital, great idea.  I know it was so expensive to get my mom's front loader looked at and stuff, so I definitely want to go as low tech as possible.  Oh, and thanks for the washing instructions.  I think because I didn't know to use a cold cycle first that they started getting stinky soon after, so that helps.thumb.gif

I think I'll also try some flat diapers, that looks easy, not bulky, and such a good price on organic cotton flat diapers.  Awesome.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#97 of 112 Old 04-08-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDMayDay View Post

Top loader all the way.  Frankly you NEED a lot of water to get cloth diapers really clean.  They are freakishly absorbent, after all!  My routine is as follows (and I combine natural fibers and microfiber after all prepping is completed, btw):

1.  Cold rinse (gets out the pee and poo) on quickest shortest cycle.

2.  Hot wash with recommended amount of cloth-safe detergent (I use Dropps) on the "long" wash setting with the most "bashing" agitation.  I sometimes lower the water level so that they are really chugging around in there, not floating gently without touching each other.  This is important to avoid buildup.

3.  Final rinse.  Cold.

I have never had stinky diapers.  (Knock on wood) My baby is 11 months and I've used cloth from Day 5, when her umbilical cord fell off.

I wash EXACTLY the same way-down to the Dropps...I love them!!  I was washing about 16 diapers every 2 days on a medium water level.  It's worked really well for us!!

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

#98 of 112 Old 04-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk98 View Post

I wash EXACTLY the same way-down to the Dropps...I love them!!  I was washing about 16 diapers every 2 days on a medium water level.  It's worked really well for us!!

Where do you get the Dropps at?  Can you usually find it local like Charlie's?  I used Charlie's last time and I don't know if I was just doing it wrong or the Charlie's wasn't really working.

#99 of 112 Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post

Where do you get the Dropps at?  Can you usually find it local like Charlie's?  I used Charlie's last time and I don't know if I was just doing it wrong or the Charlie's wasn't really working.

I didn't like Charlies @ all. Seems like every diaper would come out stained. I ended up switching to  RNG & everything comes out great now :)  I had never heard of Dropps...

#100 of 112 Old 04-09-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Is RNG approved for HE machines?

#101 of 112 Old 04-09-2011, 02:04 PM

Sounds like there are as many soaps as diapering styles these days! I'm so glad when I see something positive go mainstream. You can even buy many varieties of cloth in BRU now! Who knew. :0) Anyone ever use those new disposable liners? Are they biodegradable? Have any wicking qualities or it is just a convenience factor to make clean up easier? What do they feel like? I think I'm going to stick old school with flats and wool covers. Oh word to the wise...Nicky diapers covers in size NB are HUGE. more like 6-9 months rather than 0-3 but they are so soft and dont have that PUL lining to make them waterproof. I guess if you have giant babies they are great but my 6 lb peanuts couldn't wear them for a loooong time! :0)

I saw an article today about biodegradable disposable diaper service in the Bay Area! How cool is that? Not everyone can use cloth conveniently, but to be offered a choice to use disposables and stay green? How sweet is that!!! If anyone is interested in reading about it here is a link:

http://www.earth-baby.com/home.php

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#102 of 112 Old 04-10-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post

Is RNG approved for HE machines?

It says you can use it for HE washers. We have an HE machine. I think the directions just say to use a little less.

#103 of 112 Old 04-10-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post

I buy Dropps at Target.  They are also occasionally on the "deal" sites like BabyHalfOff.com or mamabargains.com.  Best of luck!

~Carrie~
Merit Claire born at home, 9lb 8oz
Closet Seattle Mariners fan
#104 of 112 Old 04-23-2011, 11:30 AM

I started my stash of fitted pockets and covers, about a month ago (due end of may). its way fun to get all creative about it, and it takes less then 20min to finish from cut to done.  however, I'm having a hard time finding pdf's or measurements for newborn covers. any advice?

#105 of 112 Old 04-23-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn42 View Post

I started my stash of fitted pockets and covers, about a month ago (due end of may). its way fun to get all creative about it, and it takes less then 20min to finish from cut to done.  however, I'm having a hard time finding pdf's or measurements for newborn covers. any advice?

I have a pattern for a knitted wool soaker if your interested in that style? If you look back in this thread there are a ton of links. Good luck!

#106 of 112 Old 04-23-2011, 02:18 PM

Anyone ever use GDIAPERS? I'd like to hear some personal input from others experiences on these.

Thanks!!!

#107 of 112 Old 04-23-2011, 03:36 PM

Diapers.com discount codes:

Below is your special code that helps you and your friends earn cash rewards and savings.  Your friends will get 30% cash back on diapers for three months plus 15% off everything else in their first order. And when they use your code at checkout on that first order, you get $10 in your account to spend on anything you like! You can share your unique code – and the savings - by posting it on Facebook, Twitter, or other message boards.

Use code # LXND3594 and you will get for example if you buy the new born G Diapers kit for $149 you will get a $45 credit to use in your future orders. You can also use the code "CRUNCHY" on car seats and strollers. 

Mommel likes this.

#108 of 112 Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 AM

We're CDing. We already have everything because we CD'd with the last two. I just use prefolds with a snappi and cover. Nothing expensive or fancy.

Katie ~ Wife to Mr. Perfect and natural mommy to DD1, DS1, DS2, DD2, with Squishy coming in the fall.
#109 of 112 Old 04-25-2011, 10:06 PM

We started cloth diapering at about 6 weeks and I wish I would have started earlier. We use mostly prefolds with thirsties covers but we have about 9 pocket diapers my hubby prefers. We use them all the time except for a 4 day trip out of town.
#110 of 112 Old 04-25-2011, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I'm planning to do cloth diapering and hopefully EC with my first, due in June. I'm looking forward to it even though my family thinks its going to be a lot of extra work to wash diapers. They also think it's not as hygienic (think that you can't wash them very clean). 

I was overwhelmed with all the choices out there so just thought I'd start with folding flat cloths and see how it goes. 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#111 of 112 Old 04-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhie View Post

I'm planning to do cloth diapering and hopefully EC with my first, due in June. I'm looking forward to it even though my family thinks its going to be a lot of extra work to wash diapers. They also think it's not as hygienic (think that you can't wash them very clean). 

I was overwhelmed with all the choices out there so just thought I'd start with folding flat cloths and see how it goes. 

If it's not "hygienic" then what do they think about washing underwear?

Flats are great for washing and drying.  The easiest way to use them is to pad fold them and use them with a well-fitting cover.

It's not a lot of extra work. I'm cloth diapering my second now (and doing some ECing) and it's not a huge amount of work.  I do find the ECing a bit time consuming, but it will save you some time later since you won't have to deal with toddler potty training.  Just don't get obsessed about ECing... it's easy to do so. 

Mommy to two beautiful children & Cloth Diaper Trader co-founder.
#112 of 112 Old 04-26-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

Anyone ever use GDIAPERS? I'd like to hear some personal input from others experiences on these.

Thanks!!!

I hated the marks that the snaps left on my little one's skin.  The snaps aren't always exposed though, so some people don't notice until their baby gets bigger.

Mommy to two beautiful children & Cloth Diaper Trader co-founder.

Tags
Diapering , Cloth Diapers , Diaper , Happy Heinys , Kissaluvs , Fuzzi Bunz , Fuzzibunz , Fuzzibunz One Size Cloth Diaper , Bumgenius , Bumgenius One Size Cloth Diaper Blossom , Bumgenius 3 0 One Size Cloth Diaper

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page