Who is cloth diapering? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry if this has been asked already...but I was just wondering who else is using cloth and have you started your stash yet??

I've gotten a bunch of newborn fitteds (mostly on FSOT), 3 PUL covers and two pairs of wool shorties. I am knitting a couple things myself too (cheaper that way :o)

I also got 12 Happy Heiny minis from my former doula who has an online store, she gave me a good deal.

#2 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 01:19 PM

I used CDs w/ my first two and I love fitteds for the beginning.  I have kissaluvs.  There might be new and improved awesomer :) ones out now but I already have those so I'll use them again.  After that, FBs were the best on my kids.  I tried soooo many different kinds on my son and in the end, they worked the best on him.  I understand they have a one size fits all one now?  I will use what I have but even if I didn't have them, I'd likely not try the one size kind because I've tried them w/ other brands and they tend not to work well for us.  My kids are kind of scrawny for a lot of different dipes :)  I think my husband is probably hoping I'm not planning on CDing this time around :D

#3 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 01:24 PM

I cloth diapered my other two, and will be with this one as well.  Though this time I'm going all out and getting AIO's, when with the other two I used prefolds and covers.  For the newborn stage, I will be reusing my newborn stash from last time--it's mostly fitteds and some AIO's.  Then I have 14 Fuzzibunz One Size coming in the mail any day now (squee!) and 12 Bumgenius One Size.  I'm excited to use them, I liked cloth diapering, but am so over prefolds.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#4 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareimer View Post

I cloth diapered my other two, and will be with this one as well.  Though this time I'm going all out and getting AIO's, when with the other two I used prefolds and covers.  For the newborn stage, I will be reusing my newborn stash from last time--it's mostly fitteds and some AIO's.  Then I have 14 Fuzzibunz One Size coming in the mail any day now (squee!) and 12 Bumgenius One Size.  I'm excited to use them, I liked cloth diapering, but am so over prefolds.

LMAO re: the prefolds :)  I started out w/ them w/ my first.  He got two yeast infections.  That just wasn't for him, I guess :)  I didn't even bother trying w/ my daughter.  By then, I'd tried a million different kinds and had gone back to the ol' FBs :)  I will say, though, that while most of the WAHM ones didn't work for us, they were soooo much cuter :D

#5 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

I got a bunch of infant prefolds for DS and ended up hating them!! I liked newborn fitteds so much better, of course I barely had any of those so this time I think I'm overcompensating. That and my "this is my last baby I'll do what I WANT" attitude lol!!

Most of my newborn fitteds are Mutts or Little Boppers. I had some Kissaluvs last time and I liked the way they fit but they weren't absorbent enough for our needs.

The problem I ran into with both of my older kids is that they seem to be allergic to suedecloth and microfleece :( I was able to use the BG organics but I had the aplix ones and they wore out so quickly! If anyone is looking for really super awesome AI2s I would totally recommend Primm n Proper baby on hyenacart, or rainshinedesigns dot com, they are both WAHMs and their work/sewing/customer service is all impeccable. Plus they both have super cute PUL prints! I have a custom order of 6 newborn AI2s in the works from PnP baby right now, and I'm planning on ordering another set when she opens up for customs again in April.

Oh and for some odd reason both my kids were fine with using the diapers with athletic wicking material for the inners. That and organic cotton velour which of course will always be my fave!!

#6 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 02:22 PM

We cloth diapered exclusively with prefolds and covers and were very happy with them; less expensive initially, easy to clean, fast drying, no "stinkies", or rashes, etc... We will use his wonderful prefolds and covers, again. I prefer wool covers over PUL, so I am slowly acquiring more for this baby; got a new newborn imse-vimsy wool cover on ebay, made a newborn size pair of upcycled wool longies.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#7 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post

I got a bunch of infant prefolds for DS and ended up hating them!! I liked newborn fitteds so much better, of course I barely had any of those so this time I think I'm overcompensating. That and my "this is my last baby I'll do what I WANT" attitude lol!!

Most of my newborn fitteds are Mutts or Little Boppers. I had some Kissaluvs last time and I liked the way they fit but they weren't absorbent enough for our needs.

The problem I ran into with both of my older kids is that they seem to be allergic to suedecloth and microfleece :( I was able to use the BG organics but I had the aplix ones and they wore out so quickly! If anyone is looking for really super awesome AI2s I would totally recommend Primm n Proper baby on hyenacart, or rainshinedesigns dot com, they are both WAHMs and their work/sewing/customer service is all impeccable. Plus they both have super cute PUL prints! I have a custom order of 6 newborn AI2s in the works from PnP baby right now, and I'm planning on ordering another set when she opens up for customs again in April.

Oh and for some odd reason both my kids were fine with using the diapers with athletic wicking material for the inners. That and organic cotton velour which of course will always be my fave!!

I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of the "this is my last baby so..." too :)

Did you use any inserts w/ your kissaluvs?  I didn't have any issues w/ their absorbency but maybe they just pooped all the time requiring more changes so I never really tested it :) 

My kids had no problem w/ suedecloth or microfleece and I love how microfleece works so I think I will do my best *not* to check out the sites you listed :D  I will certainly fall in love if I do and really, I'm all set.  I will put us in the poorhouse w/ carriers instead!

#8 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With my first we started cding around 9 months but we also did ec. We had some kissaluvs and happy heinys and some wahm ones. They were all great but she didn't use them much cause she preferred the potty. With my second, no matter what I did to the diapers, he broke out with red raw rash in every kind of dipe except sposies, so at about 6 months I finally gave up cding with him. #3 hated cloth a passion. She would lay there and cry every time I put one on her. She was a chunky butt, then the diapers made her look hilariously big butted. So for most of her infancy she was in sposies. Once she started walking and thinned out a bit she was fine in cloth. I absolutely loved the tweedlebugs one size pockets for her. They are my fave dipe so far. I like them far better than FB or hh or kissaluvs or any others I've tried. I sold all of my kushie aio's, but I still have some FB and hh in small and mediums, and I'll at least try them with this little one. I have more incentive to make it work this time since we live in the boonies and have no trash pick up. We tend to live very green just out of necessity. smile.gif

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#9 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

You know it's funny because I can put a prefold on a 2 year old no problem, but a newborn....forget it LOL! I don't know what was so hard about it...

Quote:
Did you use any inserts w/ your kissaluvs?  I didn't have any issues w/ their absorbency but maybe they just pooped all the time requiring more changes so I never really tested it :)

No, I didn't have any inserts- are they supposed to come with them? I got some on FSOT and they didn't have any :o I have gotten about 90% of my stash used on FSOT, and I figure I can sell them for a pretty good price afterward so what the heck :p If DH actually knew how much I was spending on it he'd probably have a heart attack!

#10 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 03:06 PM

LOL...that was my thinking with the AIO's...i did prefolds before because it was cheaper, but this time i have the money to spend, and this is my last baby so i am having WAY too much fun buying whatever I want!

Quote:

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#11 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 03:13 PM

I am perhaps a little teensy bit of a cloth diaper diva. ;) After doing strictly prefolds and Pro-wrap covers with my son (oh yeah, one time I splurged on a wool wrap!), I really got into the fun colors, prints, etc. with my daughter. I still like prefolds but not so much for newborns with the explosive liquid poos. So I am building a newborn/small stash of fitteds, hopefully starting once I have my 20 week u/s and determine that all is fine and hopefully what the gender is. I also found that the resale value is excellent if you take good care of them and are willing to fuss with putting them up for sale and shipping them, which I don't mind. With my daughter I loved fitteds and handknit wool covers as I do a lot of knitting. So I plan to do the same with this babe, can't wait to get knitting. ;)

#12 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 03:25 PM

I am pretty sure I followed all the abbreviations in this thread except FSOT?

I am definitely using cloth diapers but feel pretty overwhelmed at all the possible combinations. I think I would prefer to use fitted diapers and wool soakers but this seems like one of the more expensive options. So I am planning on asking for new prefolds but used/hand-me-down PULs, wool soakers, and fitted diapers. 

Also once I get my knitting mojo back I am going to try and crank out lots of wool diaper covers.

Radical student midwife and doula. Expecting our first lovebug 9/2011
#13 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Are you knitting ladies on Ravelry? What are your favorite yarn dyers? I used to have a LOT of wool...but it was becoming an obsession and I was spending way too much money on it :( I love Family Roots, Mosaic Moon, lots of hyenacart dyers.

Right now I'm working on a scrappy one of these:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/goodnight-sweet-dreams

I mean really, a wool sleep sack? How much better could it get LOL! I will post some pics when I'm done, it's looking really cute especially with all the different colors. I just finished a pair of newborn shorties but I really suck at grafting the gusset and the are definitely not perfect!

Oh! And I am planning on paying to get my coming home outfit(s) knit up by a "pro". I am going to have two little rompers done, one in a boyish colorway and one girly since we're not finding out the gender :)

(FSOT= for sale or trade)

#14 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM

I am on Ravelry. Are you? My name is LoopyLora. I will have to check out your favorite dyers. I love Madelinetosh, but not for soakers just in general. I had read on Ravelry that Blueface Leicester BFL was some of the best wool for soakers. Has anyone used this?

#15 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yep my name on there is Phineasmama as well. I'm not very good about updating my projects...I should probably do that more and take WIP pics!!

Madelinetosh is sooo yummy for sweaters :)

BFL is great for soakers/longies for newborns and smaller babies I think. It's really soft and nice but it pills a little bit more, another good one for littler babies is Gaia organic merino, the worsted is a little bit lighter like a DK almost and the bulky is a really nice weight too. What I really like is Cestari or Mountain Meadow wool just because of the way they take the dye, the colors look really nice on those yarn bases. They are also really sturdy and hardly pill at all, so they are great for toddlers and big projects like sweaters. A little bit rougher on your hands while knitting though!!

#16 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 04:23 PM

I just befriended you! I am not good at taking pictures or updating with wip photos either. I am even worse at it now that I am pregnant. And blocking, oh goodness another fail!  Anyhow I will check out the types of yarn you recommend. Hopefully I will feel like knitting again. I used to be very prolific. I haven't even finished one of the gloves I am knitting my DP for Christmas 2010!

#17 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 05:44 PM

Fun to find some other knitters/Ravelers here!! I am currently knitting a sweater for myself with Madelinetosh and it is super yummy. :) It is a drapey (sp?) tunic so I am hoping that if I can finish it up this week I can still get some wear out of it before my belly stretches it out. I started it in the fall and it went into hibernation in preparation for Christmas!

I love many of the Hyena Cart dyers too, also love those WAHMs for the cute cloth diapers. My favorite dyer on there is definitely Western Sky Knits and I also like Mosaic Moon and Sugarbubbie/Green Strings. I really like gaia for longies and soakers - it's so soft but it does pill. Shaves up nice though. I have some bulky gaia I've had for forever that I am hoping to be able to knit up into newborn longies. I didn't learn to knit until my second child was nearly a year old so I have never gotten to knit itty bitty things and can't wait.

#18 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 06:21 PM

I want to try kissaluvs for the newborn stage.  My last midwife totally talked me out of using cloth right when the baby was born because of the tarry newborn poops.  I am going to go all cloth this time, new midwife and she can't talk me out of it, it got me on the wrong path for sure.  I have a ton of prefolds and want to try the tweedlebugs.  I am also starting my first pair of longies today in rain drop from the woolery.com.  Whether its a boy or girl I love blue, so blue it is.  I'm not really into girly pinks so even if this baby is a girl I'm sticking with neutral colors, esp. for diapering.  I want to also EC, so I won't be going through diapers like crazy.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#19 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Really? That surprises me! We used cloth during the meconium stage and had no problems with it. They didn't even stain!

@Gracecody I thought I recognized your screenname! I was looking through your projects a minute ago whistling.gif

#20 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've never used cloth for a newborn.  We put olive oil on the baby's butt to keep the meconium from being such a pita to get off though.  :)  I'm sure we'd have to put some kind of cloth between baby's butt and the diaper to keep that from causing problems.  But, I prefer sposies in the beginning. The last thing I want to do right after having a baby is worrying about if their diapers need washed!  :)  Give me a couple of weeks to get on my feet and back in the swing of things, at least.  redface.gif

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#21 of 112 Old 03-28-2011, 07:48 PM

I think I am with you, I bought a pack of Seventh Gen last time until we were done with meconium poops and after we ran through that bag of diapers I was ready for the Kissaluvs. :)

#22 of 112 Old 03-29-2011, 12:10 AM

I am CDing too! And this is my first. I pretty much have followed my baby sister here to MDC, to attachment parenting and CDing... so I've learned as much as possible up to this point. I have a dozen OS FBs and 2 dozen similar OS pockets from a WAHM. I'm hoping I'll get some more at my shower, but no one I know cloth diapers... so we'll see. My mother is really into the new ones, compared to the regular ones with the plastic pants, so I'm sure I'll get a few more kinds to try out before I'm ready to use them. I'm SO excited. It's really the only thing I have splurged on, as I'm getting a lot of hand-me-downs from my boss' wife and second-hand and consignment stores.

Moo.

#23 of 112 Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 AM

I used prefold's with a "snappy diaper clip" with a variety of covers for both of my kids but I think Id like to try out some AIO's this time around. I was doing some research on what out there since my last was out of diapers (apx 2004) and I found this cool chart on comparison costs of cloth, diaper service and disposables:

http://www.notyourmamasclothdiapers.com/shop/

the link is listed on the bottom. I'm not endorsing the company, cause Ive never even heard of them but the chart looks very realistic.

Ive also noticed there are "natural disposables" on the market now (ex. Earths Best chlorine free)..which kind of makes me giggle, how natural can a disposable diaper be after all! Anyone have any experience with these? I have to admit Ive had some lazy moments with baby #2 and found using one disposable a night let us all sleep a little better, where is with #1 I exclusively used cloth till he was 2 and potty trained. Plus Baby #2 had the worst diaper rashes I have ever seen on a baby n my life and I had to be really careful not to leave wet cloth on her for any length of time, what I washed them in, what I ate, which disposable etc...on that note Bordeaux's Butt Paste is a lifesaver!!!! baby.gif

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#24 of 112 Old 03-29-2011, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

I am using 7th Generation disposables right now with my DS, I'm so tired and pregnant I can't manage to do anything! They are biodegradable and chlorine free, and they don't have known carcinogens in the materials like regular sposies do.

Plus I can get them on Amazon mom and I get a HUGE box, like 130 count for $25!

#25 of 112 Old 03-29-2011, 05:53 AM

Sounds like a great back up! And if I were you Id be doing the same thing! Way better than pampers and sounds cheaper! I will definitely grab a box of those from Amazon along with my cloth stash. THANKS!

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#26 of 112 Old 03-29-2011, 06:57 AM

I'm pregnant with my first and planning on CDing as well. I just went out and bought 6 prefolds, a cute cover, one kissaluvs fitted, one thirsties pocket diaper (my sister's fave), one bum genius 4.0, and one other one I can't remember lol. I figure I'll try a bunch out and see what works for me and what I like. My DH thinks I'm a bit nutty, but once he saw the diapers I think he realized that it's not that big of a deal.

I really like seeing what other people think of different brands, and from what I can tell every baby is different and different diapers work better on different babies so we'll see what I end up liking :)

Anyone used those sprayers that you attach to your toilet to spray off any leftover residue? I want to get one but DH doesn't think we should. I'd love to see what people who have used cloth in the past think about them.

#27 of 112 Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:

You know it's funny because I can put a prefold on a 2 year old no problem, but a newborn....forget it LOL! I don't know what was so hard about it...

No, I didn't have any inserts- are they supposed to come with them? I got some on FSOT and they didn't have any :o I have gotten about 90% of my stash used on FSOT, and I figure I can sell them for a pretty good price afterward so what the heck :p If DH actually knew how much I was spending on it he'd probably have a heart attack!

I used prefolds on my son in the beginning and the bulk is pretty hilarious :D  Especially if you have kids like mine who don't get any of the cute chub on their little legs :D  It reminds me of the younger brother in "A Christmas Story" in the snow suit :)

I bought the thin inserts that basically keep the dipe clean during the meconium phase.  That probably wouldn't work for you because I think they were some kind of thin fleece.  I found them plenty absorbent w/o inserts for my daughter but she never really peed like crazy.  But if she had, I'd probably have tried some of the inserts I had from other dipes.  They work way better than disposables on blowouts in my experience.  Though it's been 5 years since I had an infant so maybe dipes have changed.  RE: the spending: I don't like to calculate how much I spend on diapering the first time around :O

#28 of 112 Old 03-29-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonRH View Post

I'm pregnant with my first and planning on CDing as well. I just went out and bought 6 prefolds, a cute cover, one kissaluvs fitted, one thirsties pocket diaper (my sister's fave), one bum genius 4.0, and one other one I can't remember lol. I figure I'll try a bunch out and see what works for me and what I like. My DH thinks I'm a bit nutty, but once he saw the diapers I think he realized that it's not that big of a deal.

I really like seeing what other people think of different brands, and from what I can tell every baby is different and different diapers work better on different babies so we'll see what I end up liking :)

Anyone used those sprayers that you attach to your toilet to spray off any leftover residue? I want to get one but DH doesn't think we should. I'd love to see what people who have used cloth in the past think about them.

I think you are absolutely right that you have to wait and see what works for your babe.  I have skinny babies and FuzziBunz ended up working the best for me.  Most others gap at the legs which kind of renders them useless :)

I use the sprayer and wouldn't use cloth w/o it!  I think it, again, depends on your child.  For some reason, neither of my kids really had very solid waste in the diapering stage so for me, the sprayer is a necessity.

#29 of 112 Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllisonRH View Post

We used and loved the Potty Pail system. I liked the idea of a sprayer, but did not like the idea of overspray, so the Potty Pail was perfect. It keeps everything contained. We still use the sprayer to clean out DS's little potty and we will use the pail again for the new baby's diapers.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#30 of 112 Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 AM

I prefer prefolds and covers for day and bamboo fitteds and stacinator so simple covers at night(after baby stops pooping all night long). I used diaper rite prefolds on dd.
I love them! For detergent we use crunchy clean.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08

Tags
Diapering , Cloth Diapers , Diaper , Happy Heinys , Kissaluvs , Fuzzi Bunz , Fuzzibunz , Fuzzibunz One Size Cloth Diaper , Bumgenius , Bumgenius One Size Cloth Diaper Blossom , Bumgenius 3 0 One Size Cloth Diaper

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page