Mothering Forum banner

Any other VBAC-ers?

10K views 179 replies 16 participants last post by  NDFanatik 
#1 ·
I'm hoping for a VBA2C this time...this being my last baby, I sure hope I get the vaginal birth I've always wanted this time. With my first, I was a first-time mom and was not informed as well as I should have been. I was in early labour, but let them give me pitocin and break my water to "speed things up", and then the epidural...of course once the water was broken, I was on the clock, and when I'd only dilated 3 cm in 24 hours, they decided I "needed" a c-section. With the second, I devoured information, and was convinced this time I would get my vaginal birth, but it didn't work out. I had a midwife, but I wasn't happy with her support. When I was slow to dilate at home, she talked me into going into the hospital for an epidural to see if that relaxed me enough to dilate. I gave in, and I did dilate fully this time, and even pushed for a couple hours, but the baby moved into a strange position and wouldn't come down any further. I think if I'd been given more time, he would have moved back into position, but at the time, the mw and the OB on call had convinced me I had an infection because my temperature was elevated, and scared me into another c-section.

this time will be in the hospital again--being a VBA2C, and with my blood-clotting issues, and the bleeding I've had through the pregnancy so far, the risk of hemorrhage makes me want to be in the hospital. I wasn't able to get a midwife this time anyways, so homebirth wouldn't have been an option. so far my doctor is very supportive. she has referred me to an OB just to get their opinion on it, so i'm hoping the OB will not give me any problems, though i have a feeling she will (this OB is horrible.) But if that's the case, I'm going to get a referral to a different one, until I find one that supports my choice. I really don't want a third c-section. If I end up with one, I will deal with it, but I will in no way be scheduling one.

Anyone else VBACing? Or anyone who has had a VBAC that has any good advice?

See less See more
#52 ·
Guess who's got another breech baby? ME!! My chiropractor checked today and thinks she's in the exact same position as my first was. Which to me suggests a possible problem with my uterus or pelvis. I know I'm only 25 weeks but I knew my son was breech at 26 weeks and he didn't move from that point on. My chiropractor's going to start trying some adjustments to help turn her and I e-mailed my midwives about what else I can be doing. I also asked about possibly doing a breech VBAC with the same OB I had before, seeing as he was open to VBACs and breech deliveries, just not sure if he's open to trying both together. Fingers are still crossed that she'll turn but my instinct is telling me it's the same story all over again and I don't want to get my hopes up or convince myself that she'll definitely turn on her own. I'm willing to try anything though, even if that means multiple ECVs again, joy!

#53 ·
that sucks, smurfy! i hope she decides to turn on her own! and if not, you are very lucky to have found an OB who will attempt a vaginal breech--will also cross my fingers that he would be willing to try for a breech VBAC! and your post reminded me, i really have to go and make a chiro appointment.

#55 ·
LOL Thanks! It doesn't look like we have anything like spinning babies around here so I'll have to do everything else on the turning a baby list. She may turn just fine, in fact I thought I felt kicks on the opposite side just an hour ago, but I'm not taking chances, the fact that the chiropractor figured her to be in the exact same position my son was in kind of scared me. I'll do everything I can while she's still small enough to encourage her to get that head down. Really wishing I had grabbed the pregnancy headphones from babysteals a couple months ago.

#56 ·
Smurfy, I have a ramble here that was supposed to be a response to your post but ended up being just a ramble
winky.gif
:

My second c/s was due to malpositioning (the first was a failed induction at 42+4, hard to know what position baby was in, it's not in my surgical notes unfortunately). Sooo, my worst fear this time is that I have a uterus that just makes them be posterior, yk?

Of course, last time, my fear was going postdates with all the attendant BS, and I went into labor on my own at 41+3 which was great.

After attending ICAN meetings for over a year now, I have heard this from a lot of women -- fear of the repeat performance, the very same thing happening all over again. It seems like it rarely does -- that's just where our brains go.

The other related thing that seems to be common is fear of getting to/past the place where we got "stuck" last time. So for me, last time, that was going into labor on my own without pit; this time, it's pushing (last time I got to 10 cm and was there for 4 hours with no urge to push & baby at -2 station). I am kinda worried about pushing, as well as placenta/bleeding/tearing stuff, because it's unknown territory.

For me, the mental hurdles are hit-and-miss. Sometimes I feel great about things, and sometimes I am very nervous.
shrug.gif

#57 ·
Mrs. B Sprout, no worries I tend to ramble A LOT! LOL

I know what you're getting at though and I have thought about that because this is basically the point where I got stuck, or more so he did, last time. There was just no explanation for why he was so stuck in that position, and I can't help but wonder if it's not something to do with how small I am, the OB thought it may have been due to a heart shaped uterus but during the c/s he said it wasn't. With that mindset I also feel like this is something I may have no control over, but I'm still determined to do everything I can. I think I'm more ok with it this time though, I know what I have to do to at least try, and I know what to expect if it comes to having to have another c/s, though I'm still desperate to at least experience some labour, even if it's only a few initial contractions.

I'm trying hard to keep positive that this won't be a repeat performance, but at the same time I feel that if I know now at least I can start doing things while she's still small enough unlike last time when I waited until the midwives and OB were ready to take action. Anything to increase my chances I guess.

Thanks for reminding me to keep those mental hopes up though, I'm a firm believer in willpower so I know I need to think more along the lines that she will turn.

#59 ·
It's very normal for babies to be breech at this point. Even IF they go head down, they aren't likely to stay that way this early. It's not a worry until after 35 weeks. So, try not to stress about it. My first baby was breech, then my second two were not. Baby #2 was breech until about 33 weeks, same for #3. Currently, #4 is still flip flopping all over the place. One minute I'm getting kicked in the ribs, the other in my bladder. :)

I haven't read the whole thread, but has anybody suggested spinningbabies.com? It has tons of valuable information about breech babies and things we can do with our posture to help encourage a good presentation from baby.

#60 ·
Thanks Earthlady! I'm trying not to take it too seriously at this point, I know she still has time to turn. It's just scary deja vu from my son, who I also knew was breech at this point and he didn't turn, at all. So it's probably ingrained in my head that my babies are destined to get stuck this way early on. I think I just also want to have all of my options before me early on so I know what I want to do if it comes to that.

I haven't read spinningbabies.com, I definitely will, I just know that there are no classes or anything where I'm at. Anything I can do to encourage her to go in the right position at this point can't possibly hurt.

#62 ·
Huh... I wasn't getting updates on this thread and it fell off my radar! How is everyone?

breech- here's to a flippy floppy head down baby when it counts! SpinningBabies.com is mostly an "online" source (meaning you don't need classes)... the same info is available on OptimalFetalPositioning and some people (myself included) find that page a bit easier to figure out. SpinningBabies is nice because it has pictures but it can be a maze to find what you're looking for and the OFP page has really clear text but no images so they go well together IMO. Moxa can help too... there are even a few decent studies showing it works better than a placebo and/or external version (which most providers wont try on a vbac mom anyway).

u/s and placenta- I'd suspected it because I was only feeling AppleBelle-y babe in a few very specific places and I was right... smack dab bullseye of an anterior placenta. Sigh. DD2 was an anterior placenta and a successful VBAC but it was hard. DS was a posterior placenta and a much smoother VBAC. I'm hoping that this time round AppleBelle-y has enough room to spin so her exit will be smooth. I'm dreading a long, back labor, turning posterior babe around, difficult exit strategy! Plus I'm just not willing to risk another sd/4th degree tear so if my labor seems to be following that trajectory I know I'll be much more open to a rc/s and I don't /want/ a rc/s so.... I just hope I don't end up having to make that choice!

#63 ·
I tried Moxa during my last pregnancy, both the OB and the midwife highly recommended it. It felt a little odd sitting outside, cause the stuff stinks like pot, burning it every night but I did feel a lot of increased movement afterwards. It didn't work that time though and neither did an external version, two externals actually, and yes they are as painful as they say they are but I was determined and I'd do it again if they'd let me! I have felt what I think are kicks on the other side though, so she could be moving still, hoping anyways. Bad sign though I'm starting to get some very tender spots on my stomach, like she's wedged herself into certain places and is trying to relocate my ribs for me.

#64 ·
LOL I used moxa for morning sickness last time round and then again for positioning and it is kind of stinky.

Given my placental location I really have no clue where AppleBelle-y is in terms of positioning. I seriously only feel thumps/bumps on a tiny crescent of my belly, though I do feel the now and then "pushing out" sensation elsewhere when she stretches. I can't remember what I did with dd2... I must have done something since she was my first vbac and I was obsessed with spinning babies. I even got a gizmo for my chair so that I'd be able to keep the correct posture at work (I was a reference librarian, lots of "sitting in public" lol). I guess I'll just do what I can and keep my fingers crossed.

Will your provider be doing a late pregnancy scan to see if your babe is in a good birth position? Or waiting till labor to make that call? I know at least one mama personally who had her kiddo flip to head down during labor, but it seems to be a common story online... breech till the last minute, then flip. But I don't know how common it "really" is or whether breech-vaginal/cesarean would be a choice you'd be comfortable making during labor. Given my birth history, I'd schedule a rc/s rather than try a vaginal breech (there is one care provider and one hospital within a 3 hour drive of my home that offers vaginal breech and vaginal twin vbacs) but thankfully most moms don't have those concerns!

#65 ·
I think I'll insist on a late u/s to see where the baby is at for sure, though I'm guessing my midwife and OB will want one as well. I don't like the idea of waiting until labor for that surprise. I'm not certain what the rules are here for breech VBACs. When my son was breech the general rule among OBs was a definite c/s, due to one study they felt it was too risky to even try. About 4 months after he was born the Obstetrics Society passed a rule where they have to retrain on breech deliveries and give women the choice to at least try. Not sure if that applies to VBACs as well though. My OB is pretty open minded and very experienced so I'll have to talk to him about what options he'll allow.

I actually think she may still be turning, I'm feeling high kicks right now, right in the center of my stomach, so she could actually be head down right now, or she may have gotten her feet up good and high by her head, but I'm hoping for the former. I see my midwife on Wednesday so hopefully she'll be able to determine a bit more. They're not taking it too seriously right now, as they shouldn't, but my history of malpositioning is stressing me out.

#66 ·
Baby's still breech. I'm seeing the chiropractor quite often and my midwife appointments are going to every other week so I'll be able to monitor where she's at a bit more. The midwives said it's fine to do handstands while pregnant as long as I can hold them and keep my balance, those are supposed to help, and will probably give my husband a good laugh. Hopefully I'll get an appointment with the OB soon to discuss options. Fingers crossed!

#67 ·
hug.gif

I know many folks would tell you that you still have plenty of time, baby will turn, etc. -- but when you have been through a c/s for breech I'm sure it's very hard if not impossible not to worry. I am sending you lots of peaceful-mama and turning-baby vibes!
love.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfy View Post

Baby's still breech. I'm seeing the chiropractor quite often and my midwife appointments are going to every other week so I'll be able to monitor where she's at a bit more. The midwives said it's fine to do handstands while pregnant as long as I can hold them and keep my balance, those are supposed to help, and will probably give my husband a good laugh. Hopefully I'll get an appointment with the OB soon to discuss options. Fingers crossed!

#68 ·
I've heard that handstands in a pool are just as good and you don't have to worry about falling. Of course, you also can't breath so... it may not be an improvement! Could you do a slightly less balance-dependent inversion, like laying on a really inclined board?

I hope she turns for you!

#69 ·
I know it's still early, but previous history had my son in the same position at 26 weeks. I'm feeling the same movements and the same sore spots where her head is. I'm not giving up though, I will do everything I can to make sure she at least has a chance to turn. I may, in a way, be more preparing myself for the possibility of a repeat situation too, and I want to be able to explore all options available. The midwives said if anyone would be willing to try a breech VBAC it would be this OB so that may be a possibility, I want to make sure the baby and I are safe and healthy too.

As for handstands I could actually hold them pretty good before I was pregnant, haven't tried one yet but I can't see it being too difficult. I used an ironing board propped on the couch when I was pregnant with my son, lots of stuff to try yet and I'll do it all!

#70 ·
Hey VBAC mamas! I took a break for a couple weeks and pretended that I'm not getting ready to have a baby. I hit 3rd trimester tomorrow, so I can't put it off much longer.

I have two big concerns about this birth. One- my son was posterior, and I want to do everything I can to get this baby in a good position. I thought I was doing ok with my son, spending a lot of time on the birth ball, pelvic tilts, etc., but he never turned around. I did have an anterior placenta with him. I have a posterior placenta this time, so I hope it will be easier to keep her facing the right way. I'm having a really hard time figuring out how she's situated. I feel movement everywhere, and I can't tell what's what. I ordered the Spinning Babies workbook. I'm sure I can get the same info from the website, but I am more of a workbook person, so I thought it would be better for me. I also finally made an appointment with the chiropractor for tomorrow. Any other suggestions for getting this little one in a good position and keeping her there? Two- Cervical scarring, which I have mentioned before, but I'm not as concerned about that. My midwife and I are confident that a little EPO will take care of any issues.

I also ordered my birth kit and started getting some supplies together. Freaking out and feeling unprepared and overwhelmed is usually my biggest motivator to get things done!

#71 ·
Bignerpie, I hope you had a good chiro appt today. I also can't figure out which way my baby is positioned. It's early yet, so I bet they're kind of all over the place. Let me know what you think of the workbook. It sounds like you have a good game plan for positioning. You asked for other suggestions -- the only thing that springs to mind is to be mindful about posture and using the recliner/couch, and to do some of the spinningbabies daily activities.
thumb.gif

And a minor vent for me: I had my first homebirthing class this week, and I was the only one there who was not a first time pg mom. I had to seriously hold my tongue about some of the c/s judgment flying around the room at a few points (not from the instructor, thankfully -- she's one of our ICAN leaders). These ladies have never given birth, but they think they have it all figured out.
eyesroll.gif
I am certainly not gonna sh*t on their parade; they have every right to feel optimistic and safe and confident. I'm sure that by the end of our class I will have grown fond of them. So, I am trying to take the long view, and to keep in mind that I was also that way not so long ago.
bag.gif
Boy, did my births ever teach me a few lessons about humility.

#73 ·
((hugs)) Sprout! I remember before my first was born watching those tv baby shows and just feeling so bad for those "poor women" who obviously just didn't how to avoid interventions/cesareans. I was sooooo sure that they had "just done x y or z" or "just known a b or c" they never would have had a cesarean. And then there I was, with my perfect everything, having a c/s. Sometimes I wish the universe would send a post it memo saying "shut up, you're being an idiot" instead of rubbing my nose in it but oh well.

I'm glad the class leader is on the ball, and maybe later in the series you could do a question/answer type session for the rest of the group? My vbac doula also co-taught a birth class and she often asked me to drop in on their "vbac/ cesarean" class to provide some BTDT perspective. It was usually just a half hour or so following their "regular" class...

#75 ·
Thanks for the link, Ms. B. It's exactly what I need. My appointment went well. I'm still in pain, but I can't expect to feel perfect after only one session. My abs are separating, so she ordered me a support belt. It will help my hip/pelvis/pubic bone issues, too. I go back in a few days when it comes in, so she can adjust me again and then show me how to use the belt.

I was a complete know-it-all, too. I didn't bother reading the c-section part of the pregnancy books because I wasn't going to have one, so it was a waste of time. I did everything right and read all the right books and hired a doula and midwives instead of an OB. C-sections were for uninformed women who didn't trust their bodies ability to give birth. Wow, I'm glad I learned my lesson! But even when my sister had her baby a few months ago, I still felt like a know-it-all that would help her have a great, natural birth. I had learned from my mistakes and wouldn't let the same thing happen to her. And guess what? She had a c-section, too.

I've come to realize that you can never judge another person's experience because you never know the whole story. A while back, a friend of mine posted a birth story on her Facebook from a friend of hers that was a planned homebirth that resulted in a transfer and c-section. The mother was comfortable with the situation because she felt that she had been the one to make the decisions and didn't feel pressured by the midwife or doctors. She knew that she had done everything she could, and it was safer for her and her baby to give birth by cesarean. I was totally shocked by the comments she got. It was all "she should have done this instead" and "this was a bad decision" and "I feel so sorry for her because she was so uninformed." One even said something like, "It's sad that she feels like she made the decisions when obviously she was coerced." I was so mad, I had to shut my laptop and walk away. Reading a birth story does not make one an expert on what happened during a birth. No one else can say what the best course of action was because no one else was there!

I've had a lot of ups and downs since my c-section. At first, I also felt like it was the best decision. Then I read my medical records and started questioning every little thing that happened. Then I got very angry and blamed everyone for something. Now, I feel a little better about it. It happened, and I can't change it now.

I don't know where I was going with this. Ah, pregnancy brain. Hopefully all that makes sense!

#76 ·
I may have posted this already but similar thing happened to me in my first prenatal class, only the instructor was no help either. She made c-sections seem all dramatic and her entire tone was "this is what you don't want to happen to you because it's horrible and it's so bad for you and your baby and eliminates the possibility of post-birth bonding". It was so depressing. Then one of the girls said that a c-section was just absolutely not an option for her, no way. Through all this it was everything I could do not to burst into tears and run from the room because at that point it was becoming a very real possibility for me. Of course this is the same instructor that told my husband he would be a horrible father and never fully bond with his baby if he didn't take at least 2 weeks or even a month off work. He took 1 week and now he and are son are inseperable, the absolute best of friends. He only wants to take her class again so he can throw that back at her.

I still feel that entirely way too many women take a c-section without knowing they have other options, or without willing to even consider them. Some of my friends just feel that their baby will probably be too big so there's no point in trying. Or their doctor told them it was just a better option, with no other considerations. I know it's everyone's personal choice but for me the best choice is to at least be informed, know what your options really are, know what's best for you and your baby. If a c-section results then at least you know it was the right choice for you and your baby, and not the doctors choice because they wanted it easier for them. I cringe at how easily drug intervention is used. On the Doctors show they once went on about how great epidurals are and how they're better for mom and baby and it's really a good idea to just get one right away. I was shocked that they didn't even touch on the possible consequences or negative side effects. How epidurals can slow labor resulting in the need for counter drugs and so forth. I'm not against epidurals but at least tell women both sides so they can make an informed choice. Anyways I'm ranting so I'll stop.

Mrs. B as far as I know baby is still breech but I see the midwife next week so I'll know more then. I've been doing the ironing board thing, lots of hands and knees hanging, inversions, stuff like that. Oh the fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.