Any other VBAC-ers? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 180 Old 06-24-2011, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the Spinning Babies Workbook review, bignerpie. I may look into it was this new LO seems to flip a lot more than DS1 did.

I had to do the GTT today. Is it normal to be told "no water" after drinking the nasty glucola? I had brought a big ice water with me to drink while waiting, and the woman who gave me the glucola told me absolutely not....that it would dilute the sugared stuff. Just thought it was strange--no one told me that last time.

I also found out that I will have to have a VBAC "consult" with an OB (I am seeing a CNM group) so that I can be "fully informed of the risks and benefits--mostly the risks." eyesroll.gif  Anyway........she said that would be a good time to talk to the OB about my wishes if I do end up with a c/s although it was no guarantee of compliance since I'd just end up with whatever OB is on call when I go into labor. The CNM also seemed really doubtful about my convincing the OB to do delayed cord clamping in a c/s situation. I guess I need to go to the consult prepared with the all the studies about it and tell them other hospitals/OBs are doing it (Dr. Fogelson from Academic OBGYN has great info on his blog about it, even in surgery situations).

I also have gained about 17 lbs to date (27 weeks), and the CNM was like, "Hmm, well, you need to start watching what you eat and maybe asking yourself if you really need it...." Sheesh......Now to be fair I have gained almost all of the 17 pounds in the last 2.5 months, which I understand can be concerning, but I just find it annoying that she was suggesting my eating habits are out of control, when I actually lost weight early on (with the same eating habits and no morning sickness). She did admit that she had no idea where the weight was hiding since people can't even tell I'm pregnant . . . eyesroll.gif Sorry about all the complaining! It was just sort of a grump-ifying appointment for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 180 Old 06-24-2011, 04:08 PM

I was actually expecting a lecture on weight gain (29 weeks I've gained roughly 30lbs) but the midwife I saw never even commented on it.  LOL  One of the midwives in the group is very weight-focused so I know I'll hear the lecture eventually but till then I'm safe!

Of course, I'm not thrilled to have gained that much already... I gained a LOT of weight with my first pregnancy and was very uncomfortable/unhappy.  With my last two pregnancies my gain has been much lower (in the 30-40lb range) and I really hoped this time would be similar to that.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#93 of 180 Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 PM

I've sunk into a really bad place right now.  Baby is still breech and my instincts tell me she's not going to turn, things already feel too tight.  I'm completely devastated by the probability that I'll have to have another scheduled, surgical birth, which will pretty much take away my chances of ever experiencing the aniticipation and excitement of going into labor, not to mention any part of the labor experience.  To make matters worse the OB I had last time, whom I liked because he shared a lot of the same opinions as me, is moving in October and may not take me as a patient, I'm still waiting to hear back from them.  To make matters even worse all the fun aches and pains have increased, hip pain, heartburn, leg cramps, leg and feet swelling, Braxton Hicks, and now unbearable eczema in all areas, yes even down there.  Now the Braxton Hicks are coming on stronger and more frequently and I'm having back aches, I may start timing the contractions just to see if there is any regularity.  My friend is currently at 4 cm and patiently waiting for labor to start, maybe it's all just sympathy labor. 

#94 of 180 Old 06-25-2011, 07:16 AM

Smurfy, I am so sorry you're feeling so crappy. hug.gif Those are some very challenging circumstances. Be gentle with yourself and give yourself permission to feel bad without thinking you *need* to feel better. Anybody who wanted a VBAC would be hard-pressed not to be upset by the prospect of a repeat situation.

That said, it's been my experience that I cycle into a birth funk and then come back out of it -- so I hope the same is true for you and that you are feeling better soon! flowersforyou.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfy View Post

I've sunk into a really bad place right now.  Baby is still breech and my instincts tell me she's not going to turn, things already feel too tight.  I'm completely devastated by the probability that I'll have to have another scheduled, surgical birth, which will pretty much take away my chances of ever experiencing the aniticipation and excitement of going into labor, not to mention any part of the labor experience.  To make matters worse the OB I had last time, whom I liked because he shared a lot of the same opinions as me, is moving in October and may not take me as a patient, I'm still waiting to hear back from them.  To make matters even worse all the fun aches and pains have increased, hip pain, heartburn, leg cramps, leg and feet swelling, Braxton Hicks, and now unbearable eczema in all areas, yes even down there.  Now the Braxton Hicks are coming on stronger and more frequently and I'm having back aches, I may start timing the contractions just to see if there is any regularity.  My friend is currently at 4 cm and patiently waiting for labor to start, maybe it's all just sympathy labor. 

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#95 of 180 Old 06-25-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Aw, Smurfy *hug*  I really hope your little one decides to turn around.  there's still time!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#96 of 180 Old 06-26-2011, 02:57 PM

Thanks, I'm trying so hard to shake myself out of this but it's been over a week and I am just so depressed, it's not only emotionally but physically exhausting as well.  I know there's still lots of time but I thought that with my son too and he never did turn, so I'm finding it very hard to have any hope that this baby will either.  I'm still doing everything possible, because I need to be able to say that I did, but I'm just having such a hard time coping, and I've still got 10 weeks to go.  I would give anything to be in my friends position right now, playing the waiting game of when will baby come, when will labor start?  Maybe that's why I'm having so many strong Braxton Hick's, I'm just that desperate to feel some sort of labor.  I see my midwives this week, I'm opting for a private appointment instead of the group ones, and it'll be the midwife I had for my sons birth so I'm comfortable with her so I'm hoping I can talk to her about this a bit.  Thanks for the support, I don't want to bring anyone else down but I really do need the support, hopefully I can shake this soon.

#97 of 180 Old 06-26-2011, 07:15 PM

hug.gif You can always vent here without worrying about bringing anyone down! VBAC is an intense emotional experience and it's crucial to have support along the way.

I hope your conversation with your midwife brings you some peace of mind. Hoping for a good week for you! love.gif

#98 of 180 Old 06-27-2011, 05:59 PM

Thanks!

Slightly more positive news today, my chiropractor thinks she may have turned, though she said that after I told her how doubtful and down I've become so maybe she was trying to bring back some positivity but who knows.  I see my midwife on Wednesday so she should be able to tell me a bit more.  I also got an appointment with the OB that delivered my son, SO happy about that, not only does he have an open mind and give me choices but the scar from my first c/s is literally gone, I actually have to feel to find it and even then it's only a slight bump.  Not that that's my biggest concern but it is a nice plus if that's the road I ultimately have to go down.  Finally I managed to get in to see my dermatologist today for all of the troubles I've been having with eczema.  He's booked until December right now so I lucked out and got a cancelled appointment. 

#99 of 180 Old 06-28-2011, 12:52 PM

I hope your midwife can confirm a turned baby for you! orngbiggrin.gif Glad to hear things are looking up a bit.

I have fallen into a birth-risk worrying funk yesterday and today. I am worried about GBS, even though it's too early to test and I am just borrowing trouble. I don't know, it's just one of those things that is complex and my brain seems to love to just hold onto it and think through every angle of the statistics. eyesroll.gif Even without IV abx, I am still statistically slightly more likely to experience UR than I am to have a GBS infection in my baby -- so why am I considerably more worried about GBS than UR? Ugh. So illogical, the pregnant brain.

So, my game plan for popping myself back into a less funky mindset -- which is important because I have two kids to parent (and mama has been really irritable for the past 2 days!) --  I am going to mindfully and intentionally put these worries in a box and revisit them when the time is right (35 to 37 weeks, not now). I am going to listen to my hypnobabies and try to return to more positive feelings about birthing. I have an appt with my chiro tomorrow morning, and with my doula after that. I can really talk my fears through with my doula; she's like a therapist to me! I am also going to get a lot of exercise today through Friday.

Hopefully that will do the trick.

#100 of 180 Old 06-28-2011, 02:10 PM

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better, Smurfy. Keeping my fingers crossed for a nice vertex position when your MW checks on him.

My little guy has been flipping and flopping in there--I know he's been breech b/c I've felt some giant kicks in my cervix. OWWWW...... MW said he was kind of transverse the other day at my appt. DS1 was vertex all the way, so I am telling myself there's no reason to worry about position at this point. (As if I listen to my more reasonable self....)

#101 of 180 Old 06-29-2011, 06:56 PM

SHE TURNED!!!!joy.gif  The midwife confirmed it, for the first time I have a head down baby and my VBAC hopes have returned!  Except now I'm paranoid, everytime it feels like she's shifting around I push my hand in the spot where her head was, which is the same spot where my sons head was, just to try to prevent her from going back there.  Plus I'm going to walk, tons, don't care how swollen it makes my feet and legs, I'm just going to walk as much as possible!  I've found the ultimate in flip flop comfort so even though it's hot right now I can still walk without sweaty socks and runners.    SO excited!  Thanks for letting me vent everyone!

#102 of 180 Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 PM

YAY SMURFY!!  <3

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#103 of 180 Old 06-30-2011, 06:30 AM

Oh hell yeah Smurfy! biggrinbounce.gif Fantastic news!

#104 of 180 Old 06-30-2011, 09:21 AM

Yay!

I seem to recall a warning about how deep squatting can "lock" a baby down in a bad birth position so you shouldn't squat if your babe isn't head down... so maybe squat a lot too?

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#105 of 180 Old 06-30-2011, 02:36 PM

Hooray, Smurfy!
#106 of 180 Old 06-30-2011, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yay yay yay for head-down baby!!! 

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#107 of 180 Old 06-30-2011, 09:41 PM

I'll start the squatting now!!  Everytime she moves I freak out though, I don't think she's turned back but I'm trying to make sure she doesn't.

#108 of 180 Old 07-04-2011, 02:00 PM

Hey everyone! I wanted to update from my last post -- I managed to put a stop to my GBS worries with some determination, some hypnobabies, some talking it over, and some swimming and walking. I am very proud of myself. That little worry cycle only lasted about 36 hours. It's good practice for the end-of-pg and labor emotional rollercoaster.

And then I had the most unexpectedly pleasant OB visit on Friday morning. My blood pressure was great (it usually stinks there -- I have massive white coat syndrome with OBs), u/s showed a head-down baby and a nice high placenta, and I passed my 1-hour GTT. That's the very first time in 3 pregnancies, including an early test in this pregnancy no less, that I have ever passed a 1-hour. So I am very very excited, and unless there turns out to be a reason why I need a c-section, now I am done with the OB's office! orngbiggrin.gif

One other thing -- baby was posterior but I have a lot of time to work on that. thumb.gif

#109 of 180 Old 07-05-2011, 12:54 PM

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

That's great news!  :)

#110 of 180 Old 07-05-2011, 06:49 PM

Thanks! orngbiggrin.gif

#111 of 180 Old 07-05-2011, 10:35 PM

YAY!!!  It's been a good couple weeks!

Mine's still head down, and I'm pretty sure she's facing left, I have no idea where she's supposed to be other than head down!  I asked my midwife and she liked my idea of keeping my goals small, head down, actually go into labor, other than that I have no expectations.  My friend just delivered an 8 lb 11 oz baby in less than 3 hours, five pushes, and no tearing,  while that would be great I'm just really hoping to get to experience labor this time around.

#112 of 180 Old 07-19-2011, 11:28 PM

I had a consultation with my OB today, he was extremely positive about my VBAC chances.  He said I have the same chance of success as someone who would be coming in to have their first baby.  He also said that while I will have to be constantly monitored I can still be quite mobile with the monitors.  He was also very positive about the benefits of doing a VBAC vs. a r/cs.  I knew there was a reason I liked him last time. 

#113 of 180 Old 07-20-2011, 05:56 AM

Joining the party! due late sept (the 28th). I actually just switch practices because while the one I started with said they are VBAC friendly when I actually discussed it with the doc at the last visit she said some very odd things.  Quoted a rupture rate of 3-5%, that they'd do a RCS at 40 weeks if I hadn't gone into spontaneous labor, they want an epidural placed once my water breaks . . . and that since I didn't get past 7 cm and 80% effaced with DS, that I might not be able to get past that, ever. So I switched to the practice where I had DS - I knew they "did" VBAC's but didn't realize how friendly they were until a client of my doula's - who is VBA2C -  had a great birth with them with very few interventions. Not even constant EFM. and that at 40+6.

This baby is head down most of the time, but she floats transverse sometimes too.

Yay for all the head down babies and good OB/MW visits! keep them coming!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#114 of 180 Old 07-20-2011, 06:35 AM

So glad to hear of these good OB appointments, ladies! Supportive providers make a huge difference.

Welcome to the thread, Katrina!

orngbiggrin.gif

#115 of 180 Old 07-20-2011, 02:48 PM

take My friend had a very successful VBAC almost a year ago.  She took a VBAC class and was told that if she was considering an epidural to try to hold off until she was at least 5 cm dilated.  Apparently the chances of the epidural causing the labor to slow or other problems is significantly lower after that point.  Ideally I'd like to go without an epidural all together, but I'm also a realist and my birth plan is to take things as they come, I'm not going into this completely refusing any and all meds, I'm going to try my best without but be prepared to resort to them if I need to.

#116 of 180 Old 07-20-2011, 05:00 PM

Glad to hear everyone's positive news! I had a fine appointment with the CNM last week, and then on Monday went for a growth scan, and found baby to be head down (which I've been pretty sure he's been now for a few weeks) and growing very normally, even about a week ahead. They estimated his weight at 3.5 lbs. joy.gifThat's only 1 lb less than DS1 was when he was born at almost 39 weeks! So that puts my mind about a repeat of the IUGR at ease...

I have to do a "VBAC consult" with one of the hospital OBs at my next visit where the mw says s/he will talk to me about the "benefits and risks of VBAC--mostly the risks...." I am planning to have the new NIH consensus info printed off and with me so I can see whether the practice is keeping up with the research and also have ammunition if s/he is giving bad info. I think I'm mostly going to try to use that appointment as an opportunity to see how resistant the OBs are to doing DCC if I do end up with a c/s. I'm really going to push for that this time.

#117 of 180 Old 07-21-2011, 05:42 AM

It may be that my brain just hasn't turned on this morning, but what is DCC?

Smurfy - with my first I think I got the epidural around 3 c.m. - more because the pitocin contractions were incredibly strong and irregular and weren't giving me a break between - and I actually dilated more once I had it in than I had before, I think it was because I could relax a bit. Granted I did stall out at a 7, but I don't think that had to do with the epidural (except for being stuck in bed) - more to do with body's reaction to Pitocin and baby not being in a great position.

This time, since I know they won't be using pitocin, I hope to avoid the epi altogether. I really hate being stuck in bed!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#118 of 180 Old 07-21-2011, 06:35 AM

Dcc=delayed cord clamping
#119 of 180 Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 AM

Delayed clamping in a c/s can be a REALLY tough sell.  Unless you're planning a lotus birth and come at it from a "religious requirement" angle, it's tricky.  In a vaginal birth it's easier because the babe generally goes to your chest and there isn't a real rush for the placenta to be delivered.  But in a surgical setting there is a clock running (the longer an incision is open, the greater the chance for complications) and the babe HAS to be moved "right then".  If they're still attached to the cord it can complicate moving them, and then the pediatric nurses who would generally be taking care of the babe probably wont have experience with a babe+cord+placenta and might not be willing to take the added risk of "ripping" the cord and causing complications there.  And of course, the reason for the c/s is probably going to play a role too... if they do the c/s for, say, fetal distress, they're going to want the babe out and under the care of the pediatric attendant pretty darn quickly.

I don't want to discourage you, and I do know one woman who managed to have delayed clamping in her (scheduled) c/s, but she said it was a real fight even with her very crunchy OB and despite the fact that everything was scheduled and being done without rush.  She's the one who actually suggested playing the "religious lotus birth" card when she spoke to our birth group since then you could "compromise" down to "just" delayed clamping.

Also, make sure you specify what you mean by delayed clamping.  Some people feel a few minutes is enough, others till the cord stops pulsing, and others feel that 15-20 minutes is the bare minimum before you should even think about clamping.  Since your care provider may have a different definition than you it would be worth setting out exactly what you mean when you speak with them.  And also speak with the pediatrician you'll be using for the babe... since in a c/s the babe is usually handed directly to the pediatric staff so they're the ones who would be directly affected if the regular flow of steps in the surgery didn't go as planned.

#120 of 180 Old 07-21-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

De

I don't want to discourage you, and I do know one woman who managed to have delayed clamping in her (scheduled) c/s, but she said it was a real fight even with her very crunchy OB and despite the fact that everything was scheduled and being done without rush. She's the one who actually suggested playing the "religious lotus birth" card when she spoke to our birth group since then you could "compromise" down to "just" delayed clamping.

Also, make sure you specify what you mean by delayed clamping. Some people feel a few minutes is enough, others till the cord stops pulsing, and others feel that 15-20 minutes is the bare minimum before you should even think about clamping. Since your care provider may have a different definition than you it would be worth setting out exactly what you mean when you speak with them. And also speak with the pediatrician you'll be using for the babe... since in a c/s the babe is usually handed directly to the pediatric staff so they're the ones who would be directly affected if the regular flow of steps in the surgery didn't go as planned.

Yeah, I know it's going to be a fight. The CNm was like, "not gonna happen" but I'm still going to try. I figure the consult appt is as good a time as any to present the evidence. I'm not going to ask for more than a minute of delay bc that's been shown to be a quite fine length for getting most of the blood needed. Dr nick Fogelson on academic obgyn blog (sorry I'm on my phone--not gonna look up the link) has great info about the science supporting dcc. I asked him dpecifically about any contraindication for dcc in c/s, and he said there's no reason barring emergency with baby that it shouldn't be done in a typical c/s, even an emergent one (again, I'm talking a brief delay, not 5-15 mins or anything). He also said that dcc was now routine in his hossy. So things are changing....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page