What kind of car seat will you/are you using? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 04-07-2011, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ha - I first read that as "car older than 5 years old"!  I was thinking that we would have a long walk home! :)  Could they really hold you there if you had a seat?  I mean, if you pushed it?  I bet they could if you didn't have a seat as that's illegal.  I would not use a seat that old myself.  OTOH, I would think they'd rather you have something than nothing.  In fact, I thought that hospitals generally had seats for people who demonstrate need.  Not implying that you did or didn't but it doesn't sound like they were that helpful.  I hope you have a better experience this time around.

time4latte likes this.
#32 of 52 Old 04-07-2011, 04:12 PM

Yeah, this time around I'm checking with the hospital and going in with something brand new. It's a hassle I don't ever want to have to experience again!

So has anyone heard or had any experience with the Baby Trend infant seats?

joy.gif my two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011. winner.jpg

#33 of 52 Old 04-07-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

A 10 year old car seat is most definitely a safety concern and they were right to question it! However they were misinformed about the straps being the reason car seats expire. The plastic shell and the energy absorbing foam are essential in protecting your child during a crash, and THEY are what breaks down, not the straps. You can buy new straps for any brand/make of car seat, if that were the only concern people could just continue to replace those every time.

PLEASE, please do NOT use an expired car seat! Not only is it a safety hazard your car insurance can refuse to cover it in a crash since it was improperly used.

Any infant seat you buy new that isn't expired will be safer, so just shop around and you'll be able to find a great deal I promise! They often have closeout/clearance at Target and I have heard of people getting infant seats for $35 there. You can also look online, one of my favorite stores is Albeebaby.com you can find awesome deals on there and you don't have to pay tax plus they always have free shipping. I have seen lots of Graco seats for around $60 after being discounted. Another thing you can do is register at BabiesRus, they will send you a $10 gift card closer to your due date. You can use that along with one of the 20% off coupons they regularly send out in their circulars!

Also please don't buy a used car seat because it's a good deal, you never know if that person is being honest about its condition and whether it has been in an accident or not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4latte View Post

Yup. At the hospital where DS was born they didn't like that the car seat we brought in was 10 years old. It was a hand-me-down. They said they wouldn't let anyone go in a carseat older than 5 years. So they made my husband leave and purchase a brand new one before they would discharge us. We returned that car seat the next day. My husband and I are both rock climbers and know the weakest part of a harness is the buckle not the straps and regardless of age you retire them after 3 serious falls.  We were not happy and I think the woman who had gone through the state's "car seat training" got a hint when we all got into a 10 year old mini van that didn't have air conditioning (in August). Hey if you're concern is the breakdown of the belts (which was their reason) then we will all die in a car crash. When we went out the the car I looked her straight in the eye and told her, not everyone can afford to purchase a new vehicle every two years.... We used that car seat (a Graco) for about 2 or 3 months and then we bought the Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 convertible (the only car seat he'll ever need) that we registered for and no one bought for us. He's been in that ever since. I love how the cushion comes off easily if it needs to be cleaned.

This time around we do have a different vehicle, this time only 6 years old, but the back seat isn't as nearly as roomie. So we are thinking that we will have to go with an infant seat at first (our insurance will purchase us a convertible).  I also like the idea of being able to bundle up babe in the winter before going outside, rather than bringing a baby whose body is still learning to regulate body temp from the warm to the cold and then layering.....  I'd like to get the two seater Baby Trend Sit and Stand stroller (for those hot days next summer when I don't want to be wearing anything let alone my 9 month old baby) and are thinking that a Baby Trend infant car seat (the ones rated to 30 lbs not 22) would be the way to go. The fabric seems much nicer than the others I've seen without costing an arm and a leg.  Anyone have any experience with the Baby Trend car seats?

#34 of 52 Old 04-07-2011, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and I FINALLY bought our infant seat, after going back and forth for months lol!

I ended up getting the Maxi Cosi Mico instead of the Chicco, it was close between those two but I thought the Mico seemed a little more plush and comfortable. And since I found out it's a girl I got a PINK one :D I got a great deal on the new 2011 one on ebay, it was $154 and I had $16 in ebay bucks. And free shipping!

time4latte likes this.
#35 of 52 Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 PM

Just to clarify. I wasn't a big fan of using a 10 year old car seat. Remember, car seats are relatively new. Both my husband and I were taken home as infants in our mother's arms. I was never put in a forward facing seat nor in a booster. There was no expiration date on the car seat I was given. I did not know about expiration dates on car seats. My hospital affiliated dr's office did not even mention it. I was just told to make sure I had one, and that was what I was given. I am not advocating using old car seats. Our intention was to use it to get him home and then drive to the store and put him in the model car seats at the store just to make sure that the fit worked well. Unfortunately, it did take us longer than we expected. We were living in a very rural area at the time at it was a drive to get anywhere. I agree that babies are much safer in car seats that are in good condition. 

People in general are safer in newer cars with newer restraint and air bag systems too. Some states have safety regulations that basically prevent people from owning cars more than 5 or 6 years old. In other states there are little to no safety requirements, and people drive what they can afford. Let's just keep the car industry going by replacing our vehicles frequently rather than maintaining them .... It's the underlying disposable nature of an expiration date that gets me. So even if a car seat was used for 9 months and then stored in a cool, dry, dark place it's still considered unsafe? It's also the attitude behind the person at the hospital who was holding me and my son hostage because we didn't have a brand new car seat (even though the law didn't require it).

I am going to put this baby in a brand new car seat. As I mentioned, I was very frustrated in what should have been a very happy time for my new family, and I learned that there are some important questions to ask the hospital (if that's where you plan to birth) before finalizing a decision on a car seat. I came here to share what I had learned and what my experience taught me, not to be criticized for putting my newborn in an old car seat.

So, has anyone heard about or had any experience with a Baby Trend infant car seat?

#36 of 52 Old 04-08-2011, 04:27 AM

I totally agree w/ the disposable nature of our society.  It's terrible :(  And you are absolutely right that different storage of the seats will affect how they degrade.  My husband makes the same arguments as you and he's a PhD in EE so he's no dummy :D 

As for the seat you are talking about, I don't know.  Try checking out the carseat forum.  People usually have experience w/ all kinds of seats and installing them in all kinds of cars.  I'm going to be using my sister's chicco keyfit, most likely, so I haven't really looked into any new models. 

time4latte likes this.
#37 of 52 Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

I wasn't trying to criticize you, but from your post it really sounded like you didn't understand why old car seats are not safe. And you did say that you returned the new one right away...I'm not trying to make you feel bad but if I can say something and any child is safer in the car because of it, that's worth it to me kwim?

I'm glad you're getting a new seat...I would check the reviews section on Amazon and BRU to see what people say about it. Of course all the infant seats on the market are going to be safe, but as for general usage you can get a good idea from the reviews how people like it. I would also try and go to BRU or whatever store you have in your area, look at them in person, pick them up, practice taking them in and out of the bases and things like that. You might find that you love the one you're looking at, or you might find something else that you like a lot more, it really all just depends on the individual.

Oh and stores like BabiesRus will let you take the display models out to your car and try them out- which can be very useful! Some of the infant seats are a lot bigger and you might have to move the front seat up a bit to install it correctly...so those are all things you can't tell from just seeing it online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4latte View Post

Just to clarify. I wasn't a big fan of using a 10 year old car seat. Remember, car seats are relatively new. Both my husband and I were taken home as infants in our mother's arms. I was never put in a forward facing seat nor in a booster. There was no expiration date on the car seat I was given. I did not know about expiration dates on car seats. My hospital affiliated dr's office did not even mention it. I was just told to make sure I had one, and that was what I was given. I am not advocating using old car seats. Our intention was to use it to get him home and then drive to the store and put him in the model car seats at the store just to make sure that the fit worked well. Unfortunately, it did take us longer than we expected. We were living in a very rural area at the time at it was a drive to get anywhere. I agree that babies are much safer in car seats that are in good condition. 

People in general are safer in newer cars with newer restraint and air bag systems too. Some states have safety regulations that basically prevent people from owning cars more than 5 or 6 years old. In other states there are little to no safety requirements, and people drive what they can afford. Let's just keep the car industry going by replacing our vehicles frequently rather than maintaining them .... It's the underlying disposable nature of an expiration date that gets me. So even if a car seat was used for 9 months and then stored in a cool, dry, dark place it's still considered unsafe? It's also the attitude behind the person at the hospital who was holding me and my son hostage because we didn't have a brand new car seat (even though the law didn't require it).

I am going to put this baby in a brand new car seat. As I mentioned, I was very frustrated in what should have been a very happy time for my new family, and I learned that there are some important questions to ask the hospital (if that's where you plan to birth) before finalizing a decision on a car seat. I came here to share what I had learned and what my experience taught me, not to be criticized for putting my newborn in an old car seat.

So, has anyone heard about or had any experience with a Baby Trend infant car seat?

#38 of 52 Old 04-08-2011, 11:58 AM

we aren't using a bucket at all this time.  After reading all the posts, though, I do remember how convenient they can be.  We just don't have room in my backseat for it and I won't be getting a new car for at least 2 years. DD whose 6 is in a Britax Regency, which is so big, it's like a la-z boy.  DS is in a Britax Roundabout.  I'm probably going to flip that around, put the new baby in there, move DS to the Regency and move DD to a booster, bc that I know will fit.

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

#39 of 52 Old 04-08-2011, 03:19 PM

We'll be using our Britax Chaperone again, no complaints about it but its very heavy.  I wasn't keen on a bucket, but sizing wise I was glad I got one but we pretty much just kept it in the car as I wasn't comfortable having him nap in it or clicking it into a stroller.  I think our Mountain Buggy came with a warning not to use it for more than 20 minutes at a time and I remember reading to keep car rides down to under an hour if possible, so I just wore him every where :)

#40 of 52 Old 04-08-2011, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the clarification. smile.gif It was a bad experience for me and something I hoped to share so that someone else doesn't have to go through what we did. It just wasn't pleasant.

This afternoon I went to Target to do just what you mentioned. I picked the car seat up and figured out how it worked. I've also found some reviews of the Baby Trend car seat and took a look at the complaints people had, which were primarily about the puzzle buckle, which really wouldn't bother me much. The grey colored one they have locally asthetically fits right in with the car seat we have for ds and the car interior. I also like that it's comes with a sort of food warmer, too. I did notice that it was the only car seat under $100 that has side impact protection. The only the other one they had was the Graco Snug Ride (rated to 30 lbs) that had any sort of labeling for side impact protection. I drive a Chevy HHR which is pretty narrow, so that's important to me.

Hmmm... I didn't know that BRU let people do that! That's really good to know. I'm not sure Target will, but they don't have their car seats (strollers and other gear) bolted to the display racks like they do at Walmart (I have a strong dislike for Walmart)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post

I wasn't trying to criticize you, but from your post it really sounded like you didn't understand why old car seats are not safe. And you did say that you returned the new one right away...I'm not trying to make you feel bad but if I can say something and any child is safer in the car because of it, that's worth it to me kwim?

I'm glad you're getting a new seat...I would check the reviews section on Amazon and BRU to see what people say about it. Of course all the infant seats on the market are going to be safe, but as for general usage you can get a good idea from the reviews how people like it. I would also try and go to BRU or whatever store you have in your area, look at them in person, pick them up, practice taking them in and out of the bases and things like that. You might find that you love the one you're looking at, or you might find something else that you like a lot more, it really all just depends on the individual.

Oh and stores like BabiesRus will let you take the display models out to your car and try them out- which can be very useful! Some of the infant seats are a lot bigger and you might have to move the front seat up a bit to install it correctly...so those are all things you can't tell from just seeing it online.

#41 of 52 Old 04-08-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I think the more narrow seats are the Flex Loc, the Maxi Cosi mico (although you probably won't be able to find that in a store unless you have BuyBuybaby) and I have also heard good things about the chicco keyfit being able to fit well in almost any vehicle. It's kind of annoying that they end up being so LONG with the base that you usually have to move the seat forward. I am trying to figure out a good configuration right now so I can get the infant seat in the middle and still have my son rear facing too...it's probably a good thing that I have another 4 months or so to figure it out biggrinbounce.gif

#42 of 52 Old 04-08-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

I got a Maxi Cosi Mico...it came in the mail today and WOW it is super freaking PINK! Not just pink, it's like...jelly bean hot pink lol, I was not quite expecting that from the photos!

Anyways, I would have loved to get a Britax Chaperone because I love their cow print seats <3 but they are so huge that it would have more than 30% overhang in my CR-V and that is a no-no :( I really, REALLY want to get a van but there is just no way we'll be able to afford it before the baby gets here! Maybe with our tax return next winter...

#43 of 52 Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 AM

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4360518&camp=CME%3A20110411_Em_BRU_GracoCarSeat&csm=197255914&csa=197281028&csu=1336697&csc=1336353&searchURL=true

FYI: Got an email from BRU this morning. Looks interesting.

#44 of 52 Old 04-12-2011, 06:08 AM

Here's a review of it w/ pics of installs in you're interested:

http://carseatblog.com/8834/the-ultimate-graco-smart-seat-review-with-tons-of-pics/

If you can, try to go to a BRU or a store like that so you can see if it works in your car.

#45 of 52 Old 04-18-2011, 10:30 PM

That car seat looks pretty fancy!!  Too bad the extra bases are $100 each otherwise that would have totally tempted me!  

Liz 27 - Happily married for 8 years! Mom to three awesome boys ages 7 and 6 and 1

#46 of 52 Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

I saw it in person at BRU and wasn't a huge fan. Some people are totally in love with it though! If I was going to spend that much on a car seat I would import a Britax from Sweden with a 55 lb RF limit.

#47 of 52 Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 AM

When it was just dd1 in the car we used a Britax Marathon.  Very nice seat, and it worked great.  Then DD2 was born and we added another Britax Marathon.  That more or less wiped out our rear seat (in a 2000 kia sportage).  When we realized that ds was on the way we switched all the kiddos into Sunshine Radians and we've never looked back.  We love, love, LOVE our radians.  They fit three across in nearly every vehicle, they fold for storage/travel (and are relatively light weight in terms of carrying weight), they install pretty quickly (we don't have LATCH so easy/obvious belt install is a biggie in my book), and they last forever.  Right now my 6yo, 3yo, and 19mo are all in Radians, and although we now have a minivan and don't "need" to worry about seat width we'll be putting the babe in a Radian too.

The only real downside is the cost (around 180-200) but we use them from "birth to booster" so it works out.  Oh, and the basic seat is grey or beige... not as cute as some of the seats out there!  We let the girls stick stickers on the seats though so they're kind of funky now.  lol

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#48 of 52 Old 04-19-2011, 11:31 AM

oh, right... I can't edit my post but the Radian we have is a 5 point harness rf'ing from 5 to 40 pounds and then up to 65 pounds/53 inches ff'ing.  I know some mamas find that their newborns don't really fit well (mine have all been 9lbs+ and even then they look like mites in the seat), so that's a possible downside.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#49 of 52 Old 04-19-2011, 11:58 AM

We have Radians now too. Very happy with them so far! (we'll see how baby fits in it when s/he comes:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

When it was just dd1 in the car we used a Britax Marathon.  Very nice seat, and it worked great.  Then DD2 was born and we added another Britax Marathon.  That more or less wiped out our rear seat (in a 2000 kia sportage).  When we realized that ds was on the way we switched all the kiddos into Sunshine Radians and we've never looked back.  We love, love, LOVE our radians.  They fit three across in nearly every vehicle, they fold for storage/travel (and are relatively light weight in terms of carrying weight), they install pretty quickly (we don't have LATCH so easy/obvious belt install is a biggie in my book), and they last forever.  Right now my 6yo, 3yo, and 19mo are all in Radians, and although we now have a minivan and don't "need" to worry about seat width we'll be putting the babe in a Radian too.

The only real downside is the cost (around 180-200) but we use them from "birth to booster" so it works out.  Oh, and the basic seat is grey or beige... not as cute as some of the seats out there!  We let the girls stick stickers on the seats though so they're kind of funky now.  lol

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#50 of 52 Old 04-19-2011, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

The one (big) downside to the Radians is that they don't install well in all vehicles. Some vehicles they're nearly impossible to use rear facing in because of their angle. For instance in my Honda CR-V the ONLY place I can install it rear facing is in the middle. So if I wanted to RF more than one kid at once I wouldn't be able to do it. The angle of my vehicle's seats make it over recline and the front seat would have to be pushed way forward.

The good thing is that you can pretty much find out by googling if they work well in your vehicle, and the people over on car-seat.org will usually know, they're very helpful.

I do love the high rear facing limit though, I have the 80SLs so they go to 45 lbs...my DS will probably RF until 3.5 years like DD did. And it helps me get three across my backseat since we won't be getting a van by the time the new baby gets here :(

#51 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 02:23 PM

We got our van (100+k miles but new to us) when DS was around 10 months.  It was really funny because our family practice dr has several kiddos and when I mentioned the "new" van he confided that they'd switched to a van when their third kiddo was 10 months, and many families in for their 1 year well baby checks (on third children) mention having gotten vans around the same time.  It's like 10 months of three across is all anyone can take!

I agree that rf-ing and recline issues are key... but they'll happen with almost any seat.  Thecar-seat.orgt folks are amazing... no matter what seat you have your eye on, they can give the nitty gritty on how it'll work in your vehicle (make sure you include make/model/year) and probably even have pictures!  It's the next best thing to borrowing a seat from a friend and test driving it.  (some car seat techs will have "trial" seats that you can try out... they're not for actual use but for fit and practice in installation so that's another option) 

#52 of 52 Old 04-20-2011, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

I doubt I will be able to take much more than 10 months either! ROTFLMAO.gif

I think our tax return will be mega huge next year, especially since we're adding another kid to the mix. So as long as I can get DH to stay current on the bills we should be able to get one then! And the baby will only be a couple months old so I guess I can hang on lol!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page