What kind of car seat will you/are you using? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 52 Old 03-29-2011, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
 
Phineasmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We need to get a new infant seat for the baby...I am like 99% sure I want a Chicco this time. I have a Baby Jogger city select stroller and I can use the attachment that goes with this specific seat...

And I still have no idea if we will be able to get a van by September, so we will most likely be squeezing all 3 kids in the back of my CR-V. Right now my DD is in a Complete Air 65 and my DS is rear facing in a Marathon 70. Thankfully I HAVE been able to fit 3 across in there before but it's definitely annoying!!

Phineasmama is offline  
#2 of 52 Old 03-29-2011, 08:41 PM
L J
 
L J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really like the Chicco seats, too. If I were going to buy one, that's what I would get. We're all set, though. I have Henry's Graco Safe Seat still, and just moved him up from the Britax Boulevard to a Frontier 85, so the baby can grow into the Boulevard. I guess that's one good thing about our far apart spacing - we'll never have to buy another car seat!


Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

L J is offline  
#3 of 52 Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 PM
 
LovingBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am tempted to get one that has the bigger height and weight limits.  I remember my boys growing out of the infant car seats before a year because of their height.  And I think it might be nice to not buy another convertible.  Not sure though.. ... 


Liz 27 - Happily married for 8 years! Mom to three awesome boys ages 7 and 6 and 1

LovingBaby is offline  
#4 of 52 Old 03-30-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
Phineasmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't really mind buying convertibles, DS is over 2 years old now and is nowhere near outgrowing his Marathon rear facing, much less forward facing!!


I do really like the convenience of an infant seat though, especially with two other kids to buckle in it's nice to be able to just pop it in the base and go! Then you don't have to worry about the baby getting wet if it's raining, or if it's really cold you already have a blanket on them...

 

I think if I wasn't getting a bucket seat I would get a Combi Corocco for the new baby...they look so cute and I've heard they fit newborns really well.

Phineasmama is offline  
#5 of 52 Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 PM
 
learnlovebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I bought the Chicco travel system back in 2007, just before they came out with the higher weight limit seats.  I have loved this infant seat- the buckles are super easy to adjust, and change height.  The base installs easily too.  I've used a graco 30lb seat when traveling before, and the chicco was just easier to adjust the straps, install, and pop in and out, imo.  I've got nothing against the graco seats though- they have *excellent* safety ratings, and they're very affordable. 

 

If I wasn't on a budget and wanted to go out and buy a brand new infant car seat for this little one, I'd buy a chicco- one of the up to 30lbs ones (both of my munchkins have been over 9lbs at birth!).

 

and ps- I love the Chicco cortina stroller too.  :)


Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
learnlovebe is offline  
#6 of 52 Old 03-30-2011, 03:27 PM
 
rareimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: bc, canada
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have the Graco SnugRide...we gave my son's old one away a couple years ago, but I really liked it and it is rated really well, so we got another one.  (It was BF's job to buy the car seat while he was out of town, where it was a bit cheaper--leave it to a man to come back with one that matches his car!  lol.gif )


Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

rareimer is offline  
#7 of 52 Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 PM
 
redpajama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 1,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had an infant "carrier" seat for my older three, but it expired last summer.  I initially thought I wouldn't replace it if I had another baby--they use it so briefly that it didn't seem worthwhile--but I think I will.  I'm an apprentice midwife, and the baby will come with me to prenatals until he-or-she becomes to troublesome to have along (I planned on taking my now-19-month-old along until she was a year old, but she was walking by 10 months and into EVERYTHING months before that, so I think I started leaving her behind when she was ~10 months or so), and it will be nice to be able to transport a sleeping baby without waking him or her.  I'm also planning on taking the baby to one birth in November (a friend and repeat client) and, in the ideal picture in my mind, the baby sleeps right through that birth, in his or her handy infant carrier nod.gif (and, if it actually works out that way, the infant seat will be worth whatever I pay for it).  

 

If anyone has any infant seat recommendations, I'm interested to hear them.  My other one was a Graco Snugride.  I go back-and-forth about whether to get one of the higher weight-limit seats, because my kids have all been big (from 9+ to 10-and-a-half lbs at birth) and they outgrew the seat relatively early (I think my youngest, and largest, may have outgrown it at 5-6 months--by height), but my friend has one of the larger seats and it's so heavy and large that I sort of wonder if I'd actually use it that way once the baby is beyond the size-limit of the smaller one, anyway (I think the lower-limit ones are heavy enough to drag around).  

redpajama is offline  
#8 of 52 Old 03-30-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
 
Phineasmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a Graco Snugride 22 last time as well, I didn't really have any complaints about it.

 

I like the Maxi Cosi mico which is really light, that only goes up to 22 lbs though.

 

I found the Chicco KeyFit 30 pretty light and easy to manage even though it has a 30 lb limit. I don't know if we will use it past 22 lbs, but you never know...my DS chunked up fast and was over 16 lbs at his 4 month appointment! It's nice to have a place for them to go if you can't hold them or like at a restaurant you can put them down to eat.

 

I am planning on getting mine at BabiesRus, I have a 20% off coupon and they will mail you a $10 off coupon if you make a baby registry with them. So I think it will come out to about $133 plus tax.

Phineasmama is offline  
#9 of 52 Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 AM
 
hck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: central MA
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingBaby View Post

I am tempted to get one that has the bigger height and weight limits.  I remember my boys growing out of the infant car seats before a year because of their height.  And I think it might be nice to not buy another convertible.  Not sure though.. ... 



Well, the rec is to keep your child rear facing until at least 2 years so you may not get out of a convertible :)  Luckily, my kids love their seats so we never fight over them but I know a lot of parents deal w/ that issue - kids thinking it's babyish.  Personally, I think their seats look super-comfy and wouldn't mind one for myself :)  I will use my sister's chicco - her daughter was born last May so that works out perfectly.  Then I will probably go w/ a marathon again.  That will last the full 5/6 years so I think it's worth it.  Good luck w/ your decision.

hck73 is offline  
#10 of 52 Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 AM
 
hck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: central MA
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post

I really like the Chicco seats, too. If I were going to buy one, that's what I would get. We're all set, though. I have Henry's Graco Safe Seat still, and just moved him up from the Britax Boulevard to a Frontier 85, so the baby can grow into the Boulevard. I guess that's one good thing about our far apart spacing - we'll never have to buy another car seat!



My kids (5 and 7.5) are in Frontiers, too, and they love them.  I'll keep them harnessed as long as I can get away w/ it :)  I think Britax seats are only good for 6 years, though.

hck73 is offline  
#11 of 52 Old 03-31-2011, 08:31 AM
 
dramamamax4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We purchased a Maxi Cosi Mico.  DH doesn't have a whole lot of room in his truck, so we needed something small.  Baby will then move up to a Britax convertible


Christine belly.gifmarried to Cody.superhero.gifMom to Orion (8) guitar.gif, Lourdes (6) love.gif and Britton (3)biggrinbounce.gif.  Expecting someone new September 2011. stork-suprise.gif
dramamamax4 is offline  
#12 of 52 Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
 
Gracecody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a tough one now that we will have three - one in a booster, one in a convertible and one in a bucket. I think we are going to go for the Graco snugride again because it's a safe seat and a good value, also easy to re-sell when we're done. Since my daughter is already maxing out on height for her convertible (at age 3, mind you) I am planning to sell her convertible and spring for a Sunshine Kids Radian80 for her. Then she'll be set for seats and the low profile of it will also create more space in the backseat, since we'll be three across! Then I would also like to get a Radian80 for the new baby once he/she outgrows the bucket. I know the Radian is supposed to work from birth but I am not 100% convinced yet.

Gracecody is offline  
#13 of 52 Old 03-31-2011, 10:43 AM
L J
 
L J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by hck73 View Post





My kids (5 and 7.5) are in Frontiers, too, and they love them.  I'll keep them harnessed as long as I can get away w/ it :)  I think Britax seats are only good for 6 years, though.



I thought the new Frontiers were good for 10 years? I'm going to have to get my book out of the car now, before it drives me crazy. LOL. My Boulevard was manufactured in '08 and it says 7 years, so it'll last this one until I can put him/her in a Frontier, too. I really love these Frontiers. Hopefully Henry can stay in his a long, long time!


Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

L J is offline  
#14 of 52 Old 03-31-2011, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
 
Phineasmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracecody View Post

This is a tough one now that we will have three - one in a booster, one in a convertible and one in a bucket. I think we are going to go for the Graco snugride again because it's a safe seat and a good value, also easy to re-sell when we're done. Since my daughter is already maxing out on height for her convertible (at age 3, mind you) I am planning to sell her convertible and spring for a Sunshine Kids Radian80 for her. Then she'll be set for seats and the low profile of it will also create more space in the backseat, since we'll be three across! Then I would also like to get a Radian80 for the new baby once he/she outgrows the bucket. I know the Radian is supposed to work from birth but I am not 100% convinced yet.


I asked about this in the car seat forum on DS and yes they DO work for a newborn! I was surprised too, now it does look a little funny to have a baby in a giant seat like that lol...but with the infant padding and the bottom slots they fit perfectly!

Just make sure it fits in your vehicle rear facing. The ONLY place I can install one RFing in my honda CR-V is in the middle of the backseat because of the way it reclines.

 


ETA: they showed me pics too :)

Phineasmama is offline  
#15 of 52 Old 03-31-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
 
Phineasmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post





I thought the new Frontiers were good for 10 years? I'm going to have to get my book out of the car now, before it drives me crazy. LOL. My Boulevard was manufactured in '08 and it says 7 years, so it'll last this one until I can put him/her in a Frontier, too. I really love these Frontiers. Hopefully Henry can stay in his a long, long time!


Yes the Frontiers are good for like 8-10 years, at least the new Frontier85 I just bought is! It's in DD's dads car right now because I can't fit it 3 across unless we get a van. But she still fits in her CA 65 for a while.

 

 

Phineasmama is offline  
#16 of 52 Old 03-31-2011, 03:23 PM
 
Dlynn918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had no idea car seats expired! Who knew? Well Im going to think twice before excepting hand me down now. nut.gif

 

I also have a subscription to consumer reports. Would anyone like me to post the best rating car seats?


And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
Dlynn918 is offline  
#17 of 52 Old 03-31-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
 
Phineasmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

I had no idea car seats expired! Who knew? Well Im going to think twice before excepting hand me down now. nut.gif

 

I also have a subscription to consumer reports. Would anyone like me to post the best rating car seats?



They do! Usually they expire about 6 years out, just check the date of manufacture it should be on the seat somewhere. Also never buy a used car seat unless you KNOW the person and trust them completely, because they could be unsafe if they've ever been in an accident.

 

Everyone on car-seat.org claims that consumer reports has no idea what they're talking about when it comes to car seats...so I'm not 100% sure but all of them have to pass the same safety ratings anyways :) I like to look at the Amazon reviews to see how people like a particular seat though.

Phineasmama is offline  
#18 of 52 Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 PM
 
hck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: central MA
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post





They do! Usually they expire about 6 years out, just check the date of manufacture it should be on the seat somewhere. Also never buy a used car seat unless you KNOW the person and trust them completely, because they could be unsafe if they've ever been in an accident.

 

Everyone on car-seat.org claims that consumer reports has no idea what they're talking about when it comes to car seats...so I'm not 100% sure but all of them have to pass the same safety ratings anyways :) I like to look at the Amazon reviews to see how people like a particular seat though.


Great post :) 

 

hck73 is offline  
#19 of 52 Old 03-31-2011, 04:15 PM
 
hck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: central MA
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post





I thought the new Frontiers were good for 10 years? I'm going to have to get my book out of the car now, before it drives me crazy. LOL. My Boulevard was manufactured in '08 and it says 7 years, so it'll last this one until I can put him/her in a Frontier, too. I really love these Frontiers. Hopefully Henry can stay in his a long, long time!


I hadn't checked as I knew they'd be out of the seats before it expired but you may well be right :)  The Frontiers are great though I'm not thrilled w/ the cup holders :O 

 

hck73 is offline  
#20 of 52 Old 03-31-2011, 05:58 PM
 
Dlynn918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post





They do! Usually they expire about 6 years out, just check the date of manufacture it should be on the seat somewhere. Also never buy a used car seat unless you KNOW the person and trust them completely, because they could be unsafe if they've ever been in an accident.

 

Everyone on car-seat.org claims that consumer reports has no idea what they're talking about when it comes to car seats...so I'm not 100% sure but all of them have to pass the same safety ratings anyways :) I like to look at the Amazon reviews to see how people like a particular seat though.


A whole forum just on car seats? Really? Seriously? Between this and Facebook I have no time to weed through another set of peoples opinions! LOL! duck.gifI'll stick to Consumer Reports regardless and any reports I get from real people I know. Plus CR has rating from actual real life people too (cause I'm sure no one who works for CR is actually a parent! LOL!!!) and DH compared them to Amazons rating and they were about the same.

 

Whats so special about the Britax? That's one pricey ride?! Seems like you can get a seat just as safe and cozy for a hundred bucks less? And yeah, I'm passing on the hand me down car seats..that's what a friend told me this morning. Good advice! But as far as convertibles than are good up to 50-60lbs and spending a ton of extra cash? For me anyway, it's not worth it. My 9 year old is 55lbs and there is no way she would fit in one of those seats (nor would get in one! it's enough to keep her in the booster). I guess it depends on your kids but mine are tall and thin and it wouldn't be worth the extra cash. But hey, if you have a 50 lbs 3 year old I guess it's a good idea!

 

I am going to take a look at the Evenflo Marathon DLX and the Graco Snugride (forgot the model) which rate well everywhere Ive looked. Anyone have any real-time experience with these models?

 


And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
Dlynn918 is offline  
#21 of 52 Old 03-31-2011, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
 
Phineasmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a Graco snugride with my son and had no complaints about it. Although if you have really small babies it might not be a good choice because the bottom harness slots are not that low- not enough for a 5-6 lb baby anyways.

 

I'm not a huge fan of the Evenflo brand at all, so I don't have any experience with those. As for the convertible seats I know the Complete Air I have is going to last until my DD is ready for a booster- which at 4-5 years old she is definitely NOT. Kids that young can easily get out of position for properly using the seatbelt in a booster- and if they fall asleep in the car they can slump over, again impairing the seatbelt use.

 

Anyways, I only paid $140-ish for the complete air after some coupons at BabiesRus. I also got my Britax Marathon 70 brand spankin new right after it came out for $209 with free shipping from AlbeeBaby. So you can get some really great deals online!

Phineasmama is offline  
#22 of 52 Old 03-31-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
 
Phineasmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Also you never know- your next kid might be totally different weight wise ;) My DD wore newborn size clothes for 2 whole months, and my DS bulked up to nearly 17 lbs at his 4 month appointment lol! They are 2 and 4 now and my DD fits perfectly into his shorts...it's crazy!

 

 

Phineasmama is offline  
#23 of 52 Old 03-31-2011, 08:27 PM
L J
 
L J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

 

 

Whats so special about the Britax? That's one pricey ride?! Seems like you can get a seat just as safe and cozy for a hundred bucks less? And yeah, I'm passing on the hand me down car seats..that's what a friend told me this morning. Good advice! But as far as convertibles than are good up to 50-60lbs and spending a ton of extra cash? For me anyway, it's not worth it. My 9 year old is 55lbs and there is no way she would fit in one of those seats (nor would get in one! it's enough to keep her in the booster). I guess it depends on your kids but mine are tall and thin and it wouldn't be worth the extra cash. But hey, if you have a 50 lbs 3 year old I guess it's a good idea!


 


You'll find a lot of opinions 'round here on harnessing as long as possible - but here's what's so special about Britax to ME. Because, yes, they all do have to pass the same safety ratings, so theoretically they are all going to provide adequate protection in a crash. I have dealt with less expensive Gracos and Coscos, and there are two reasons I will stick with Britax:

 

1. Straps that don't tangle. I know, sounds silly, but that darn Cosco that was our second car seat frustrated me to no end - the straps would twist in ways that took forever and a lot of patience to get straight again.

 

2. Ease of installation. I drive an older car, no latch, shallow back seat. Its really hard to get some seats installed safely in my particular vehicle (an old Jeep). Britax installs more solidly than any other I have tried, and feels like part of the car.

 

I think that's a BIG thing when shopping for a car seat - what car you drive. Because some seats just will not install in some cars. My 43lb 4 year old is no where near ready for a booster, because he cannot be trusted to sit correctly without slumping. It'll be years before he is ready. I had two options for a 5pt harness seat for him, and the option that was $100 less, half the base hung off the seat of my car. Just wouldn't work.

 

Its not as big an issue with the infant bucket seats, but when you start shopping for a convertible, I really recommend doing to a Buy Buy Baby or BRU and trying the seats in your car. It'll save you a lot of hassle.

 


Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

L J is offline  
#24 of 52 Old 04-01-2011, 03:45 AM
 
Dlynn918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post


 


You'll find a lot of opinions 'round here on harnessing as long as possible - but here's what's so special about Britax to ME. Because, yes, they all do have to pass the same safety ratings, so theoretically they are all going to provide adequate protection in a crash. I have dealt with less expensive Gracos and Coscos, and there are two reasons I will stick with Britax:

 

1. Straps that don't tangle. I know, sounds silly, but that darn Cosco that was our second car seat frustrated me to no end - the straps would twist in ways that took forever and a lot of patience to get straight again.

 

2. Ease of installation. I drive an older car, no latch, shallow back seat. Its really hard to get some seats installed safely in my particular vehicle (an old Jeep). Britax installs more solidly than any other I have tried, and feels like part of the car.

 

I think that's a BIG thing when shopping for a car seat - what car you drive. Because some seats just will not install in some cars. My 43lb 4 year old is no where near ready for a booster, because he cannot be trusted to sit correctly without slumping. It'll be years before he is ready. I had two options for a 5pt harness seat for him, and the option that was $100 less, half the base hung off the seat of my car. Just wouldn't work.

 

Its not as big an issue with the infant bucket seats, but when you start shopping for a convertible, I really recommend doing to a Buy Buy Baby or BRU and trying the seats in your car. It'll save you a lot of hassle.

 


Thanks LJ, all great info. Im not sure what a BRU is but we dont have a BBB anywhere near us. Babies R Us has more seats than I can wrap my brain around! The high end Graco and Evenflo looked very comparable to the Britax for 200 instead of over 300. I saw that one of the costco's rated high as well but it looks like a low end model to me, but that was rated on crash tests and ease of use. I remember what you mean about twisted buckles. I had that problem with my son, who is now 14! What a pain. We are going to want something that is adequate from birth as well, and some of them say 5-40 lbs but there is no way a 5lb baby looks like it would fit in there properly without having to buy extra padding to rig the thing. Id rather just spend the extra $ and get one that comes with the proper padding. I have an 06 mid size suv that allows you to do the latching behind the seat. I will definitely try to play with the seats as much as possible for ease of use.

There were two kinds of install systems that I read about, sure latch and and easy latch? Does that sound right? And what I read is the easy is hard and needs some kind of ratchet to install...pfft...great...and the sure was the easier? Id have to look to make sure my terminology is right. Good thing we have time to figure all this out! With technology advancing things really do get more complicated. smile.gif

 


And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
Dlynn918 is offline  
#25 of 52 Old 04-01-2011, 03:47 AM
 
Dlynn918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

BRU...Babies R Us...LMAO...My brain obviously isnt awake yet! DUH! biglaugh.gif


And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
Dlynn918 is offline  
#26 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 09:26 AM
 
Mommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: down south
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post

You'll find a lot of opinions 'round here on harnessing as long as possible - but here's what's so special about Britax to ME. Because, yes, they all do have to pass the same safety ratings, so theoretically they are all going to provide adequate protection in a crash. I have dealt with less expensive Gracos and Coscos, and there are two reasons I will stick with Britax:

 

1. Straps that don't tangle. I know, sounds silly, but that darn Cosco that was our second car seat frustrated me to no end - the straps would twist in ways that took forever and a lot of patience to get straight again.

 

2. Ease of installation. I drive an older car, no latch, shallow back seat. Its really hard to get some seats installed safely in my particular vehicle (an old Jeep). Britax installs more solidly than any other I have tried, and feels like part of the car.

 

I think that's a BIG thing when shopping for a car seat - what car you drive. Because some seats just will not install in some cars. My 43lb 4 year old is no where near ready for a booster, because he cannot be trusted to sit correctly without slumping. It'll be years before he is ready. I had two options for a 5pt harness seat for him, and the option that was $100 less, half the base hung off the seat of my car. Just wouldn't work.

 

Its not as big an issue with the infant bucket seats, but when you start shopping for a convertible, I really recommend doing to a Buy Buy Baby or BRU and trying the seats in your car. It'll save you a lot of hassle.

 


A friend of mine believes SO strongly that the Britax is the best car seat, that she is actually buying one for me. Her biggest compliment is that the straps stay straight.

 


Moo.

Mommel is offline  
#27 of 52 Old 04-07-2011, 02:08 PM
 
time4latte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southeastern Massachusetts
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

I had no idea car seats expired! Who knew? Well Im going to think twice before excepting hand me down now. nut.gif

 

I also have a subscription to consumer reports. Would anyone like me to post the best rating car seats?


Yup. At the hospital where DS was born they didn't like that the car seat we brought in was 10 years old. It was a hand-me-down. They said they wouldn't let anyone go in a carseat older than 5 years. So they made my husband leave and purchase a brand new one before they would discharge us. We returned that car seat the next day. My husband and I are both rock climbers and know the weakest part of a harness is the buckle not the straps and regardless of age you retire them after 3 serious falls.  We were not happy and I think the woman who had gone through the state's "car seat training" got a hint when we all got into a 10 year old mini van that didn't have air conditioning (in August). Hey if you're concern is the breakdown of the belts (which was their reason) then we will all die in a car crash. When we went out the the car I looked her straight in the eye and told her, not everyone can afford to purchase a new vehicle every two years.... We used that car seat (a Graco) for about 2 or 3 months and then we bought the Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 convertible (the only car seat he'll ever need) that we registered for and no one bought for us. He's been in that ever since. I love how the cushion comes off easily if it needs to be cleaned.

 

This time around we do have a different vehicle, this time only 6 years old, but the back seat isn't as nearly as roomie. So we are thinking that we will have to go with an infant seat at first (our insurance will purchase us a convertible).  I also like the idea of being able to bundle up babe in the winter before going outside, rather than bringing a baby whose body is still learning to regulate body temp from the warm to the cold and then layering.....  I'd like to get the two seater Baby Trend Sit and Stand stroller (for those hot days next summer when I don't want to be wearing anything let alone my 9 month old baby) and are thinking that a Baby Trend infant car seat (the ones rated to 30 lbs not 22) would be the way to go. The fabric seems much nicer than the others I've seen without costing an arm and a leg.  Anyone have any experience with the Baby Trend car seats?


joy.gif my two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011. winner.jpg

time4latte is offline  
#28 of 52 Old 04-07-2011, 03:10 PM
 
learnlovebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a bit of a researcher, but I wouldn't say I'm a safety fanatic.  From what I've read about car seats expiration, it's NOT the straps that are the concerns, it's the base, the plastic (older plastic ages, warps, and/or hairline fractures can develop in both the base and the seat itself), and that safety standards change and improve over time.  The expriation dates vary from one model and manufacturer to another, but most average 6-8 years, with the maximum I've found being 10 years.  Also, if you're inheriting a used seat from someone else, be sure to ask (and find out if they've been the only user, or if they got the seat from someone else too) if it's EVER been in an accident- because most experts agree that after any accident to replace the car seat as well.  Now I'm all for using things again and not having to buy new at the whim of some frenzy, but it's also good to know why things are reccommended to be replaced.

 

As for what's so great about Britax?  (I'd also throw in here the Chicco infant seat too because the things I love about the Britax also apply to the Chiccco).  I have first-hand experience w/ the Graco Nautilus, the Chicco Key Fit, and the Britax Marathon (I own all three).  I've also borrowed (when traveling) the Graco up-to-30lbs seat.

 

1) Installation.  While all of them have latch, the Britax and Chicco install SO much faster, and I'm more confident in the security of the installation.  This goes for latch installation (my minivan), and old-fashioned installation (my dh's car AND the rear of my van). 

 

2) straps don't tangle.  It was SOOO frustrating on the graco infant seat we borrowed (as I was used to the Chicco), when I had to untangle the straps (they kept twisting) at just about every use.  My son's graco nautilus also tangles- as in the straps twist within the plastic buckle thing- quite frequently. 

 

3) height adjustment on the straps- it's faster and easier with the Britax and Chicco. 

 

4) the tension/release is smoother (the strap you pull to secure the straps once you've got the child buckled in)- it's easier to pull and get a smooth motion, tight fit in the chicco and britax than it is with the graco.  The release lever/button thingy is also easier to find and release.  While they both function the same, I find myself having to pull harder on my son's graco, and the release was difficult to find and use in the graco infant seat (though I do admit that could be because I wasn't completely familiar with it and only using it for a short time).

 

I'll also add as a disclaimer that I am NOT a child seat safety technican of any kind.

I'm also not one of those people who are all about the name brand.

but also keep in mind- as a pp also pointed out- all car seats have to pass the same minimum saftey standards to be sold in the US. 

 

I'm just stating my experiences because someone asked what's so special about them.  They are nice- and I'd buy them again in a heartbeat because we use our carseats almost every single day and do a lot of travel to visit the grandparents- both of which live states away.  The features I stated above are worth enough to me to invest in the nicer models.  BUT, if you can't afford a britax, you can't afford it.  There's no reason to go into debt or break your budget just to have THAT car seat.  The other models do work just fine to keep your child safe, and that is the bottom line, isn't it?

 


Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
learnlovebe is offline  
#29 of 52 Old 04-07-2011, 03:32 PM
 
hck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: central MA
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by time4latte View Post




Yup. At the hospital where DS was born they didn't like that the car seat we brought in was 10 years old. It was a hand-me-down. They said they wouldn't let anyone go in a carseat older than 5 years. So they made my husband leave and purchase a brand new one before they would discharge us. We returned that car seat the next day. My husband and I are both rock climbers and know the weakest part of a harness is the buckle not the straps and regardless of age you retire them after 3 serious falls.  We were not happy and I think the woman who had gone through the state's "car seat training" got a hint when we all got into a 10 year old mini van that didn't have air conditioning (in August). Hey if you're concern is the breakdown of the belts (which was their reason) then we will all die in a car crash. When we went out the the car I looked her straight in the eye and told her, not everyone can afford to purchase a new vehicle every two years.... We used that car seat (a Graco) for about 2 or 3 months and then we bought the Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 convertible (the only car seat he'll ever need) that we registered for and no one bought for us. He's been in that ever since. I love how the cushion comes off easily if it needs to be cleaned.

 

This time around we do have a different vehicle, this time only 6 years old, but the back seat isn't as nearly as roomie. So we are thinking that we will have to go with an infant seat at first (our insurance will purchase us a convertible).  I also like the idea of being able to bundle up babe in the winter before going outside, rather than bringing a baby whose body is still learning to regulate body temp from the warm to the cold and then layering.....  I'd like to get the two seater Baby Trend Sit and Stand stroller (for those hot days next summer when I don't want to be wearing anything let alone my 9 month old baby) and are thinking that a Baby Trend infant car seat (the ones rated to 30 lbs not 22) would be the way to go. The fabric seems much nicer than the others I've seen without costing an arm and a leg.  Anyone have any experience with the Baby Trend car seats?



Did they really say the straps?  Maybe they just said that because they didn't know why.  It's the plastic that degrades.  You're in MA, right?  Kids need to be in a child safety seat (boosters count) until 8, in case you didn't know.  The law changed recently.

hck73 is offline  
#30 of 52 Old 04-07-2011, 03:55 PM
 
time4latte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southeastern Massachusetts
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was in Maine at the time and yes, the primary reason I was given was the straps.  The whole situation kind of tainted my hospital experience. The birth was great and the lactation support helpful, but one of the staff just weren't very understanding. My understanding is that it was also "hospital policy" not to let anyone leave in a car seat older than 5 years regardless of expiration date.  The hospital policy may have changed...  the car seat I brought had no expiration date anywhere on it.  Maine law has no provision or requirement for car seat expiration. (Based on the law it is legal to use a 10 year old car seat. My husband had a problem with hospital policy trumping state law (or lack thereof).

Anyways ... sorry for my rant. I didn't mean to hijack the thread. What I learned from it is, check what the hospital policy is (if you have a hospital birth) before you obtain a car seat. Do they require you to bring the car seat up to the floor and put the baby in it before bringing it to the car? What restrictions do they have on previously used car seats?


joy.gif my two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011. winner.jpg

time4latte is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off