Getting ready for baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-23-2011, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I feel really silly because for a few weeks now I've wanted to pull out all of DS's 0-3 clothes and wash them and get them all set, pull out a few sleeps/gowns for the hospital stay, I really want to get things set up and rearranged. BUT I know if I do that my toddler will get into everything.  I definitely didn't feel this way so early in my pregnancy with my first. This pregnancy I've kind of spent the first trimester and the beginning of the second sort-of forgetting that I was pregnant and having a hard time getting excited about it. That's not the case anymore!

joy.gif

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think thats great! Go for it! At least you can take stock of what you have and think of all the fond memories attached to those tiny little clothes. And so what if little man gets into them, he can "help" you get ready for baby...even if you have to do it twice, once with him and once when he is asleep! Lol! I have BAGS of boy stuff to go through to pick out the unisex stuff for a GIRL...maybe Ill do that today since were sure of the sex now and its a rainy crappy day anyway. We have the baby's room in complete turmoil right now and it will be a while until we get all the stuff cleaned out of it but Id like to something to do something that makes me feel like Im preparing! :0)

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
Old 04-24-2011, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I've already gone through all my bins of clothes, noted what we are short on, donated the things I don't love, resorted all the bins, and put all the newborn baby stuff in the dresser. :) I love to open the drawer & ooh & aah over the cute teeny newborn clothes. love.gif You should, too! :D

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:17 PM

I did exactly the same things when I was only a few months pg Sheepish.gif It really does give me a thrill and makes the baby seem more real to go look in the drawers every now and then orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post

I've already gone through all my bins of clothes, noted what we are short on, donated the things I don't love, resorted all the bins, and put all the newborn baby stuff in the dresser. :) I love to open the drawer & ooh & aah over the cute teeny newborn clothes. love.gif You should, too! :D

heartbeat.gif~Cowgirl Momma to 3 amazing boys  & adding a new babyf.gifin July 2014~heartbeat.gif 
Old 05-06-2011, 12:43 PM

I WANT to do this so badly, but I am struggling to keep up enough energy for work and midterms right now... I'm afraid it will have to wait until summer when I will HUGE and HOT. Blech.

Moo.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:29 PM

All of my baby stuff is in Canada, so I can't access it until I go home for the summer. We also moved (needed a bigger house b/c of the baby) and many boxes are still in the baby's room as we don't know where we're putting everything yet. I can't wait to go through everything too. And go shopping. We find out soon whether it is a boy or girl which will definitely make it more real. And then I can go shopping for more!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:58 PM

I'd love to but I still feel like I'm not pregnant enough to start getting things together lol! Does that make since? I though once I hit the 20 week mark I'd start doing things, but other than getting a few outfits, it' looking like we might start sometime in June.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:44 PM

I've got all my baby clothes organized by sizes and sitting on a shelf in my closet :) I had to buy a lot because my DD is 4 now and I had gotten rid of a lot of her things, I didn't really have that nice of baby clothes with her anyways...

I also have some blankets washed and folded, the car seat is currently in it's box in the attic, and the newborn diapers are all sitting on the shelf looking cute! I don't have much else to do except declutter and organize my house. I need to do a major purge.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:44 PM

i've gotten a lot of stuff bought, but nowhere to put it yet.  the current plan is to move my dd's room to the spare room downstairs, move ds into dd's room, and then put all the baby stuff in ds's room (it's right next to ours, so is the best place for her.  not that she will sleep in there for ages anyways...)  so for now, the carseat, diapers, clothes, etc that i've bought are all stacked in my room, which is driving me nuts.  but moving all the rooms around is going to be a big job, and i just haven't gotten the energy for that yet.  plus i can't carry the heavy stuff, so have to wait til BF is ready to assist.  ;)

definitely good on 0-3 months clothes!  i went a bit crazy today at the thrift store.  got some beautiful stuff, looks new and some still with tags.  probably got a lot more than she'll need, but i couldn't stop myself.  girl stuff is way too much fun.  hopefully that ultrasound tech got the sex right!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

Old 05-27-2011, 07:30 PM

Ugh I am avoiding all this, because I barely have the energy for my 6 yo and 4 yo and my work too.

We are moving my 12 yo dss to the basement bedroom (he is delighted about this thumb.gif ) and then baby will get his room. But first we have to clear out the basement room (used to be an office, now just a junk room with an office underneath it) and THAT is too big a job for me right there.

I fear this won't happen at all before this little boy is here!

Old 05-28-2011, 02:55 PM

I'm making myself wait until 30 weeks to buy anything and I'll probably wash all DD's old clothes around 37 weeks. I had such strong nesting instinct with DD that I know I need to wait. Otherwise, during those last few weeks, I'll probably organize and reorganize all of DH's clothes or something.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
Old 05-28-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperdove View Post

Ugh I am avoiding all this, because I barely have the energy for my 6 yo and 4 yo and my work too.

We are moving my 12 yo dss to the basement bedroom (he is delighted about this thumb.gif ) and then baby will get his room. But first we have to clear out the basement room (used to be an office, now just a junk room with an office underneath it) and THAT is too big a job for me right there.

I fear this won't happen at all before this little boy is here!

I agree totally, I barely have the energy for my 5 yo and my 3 yo and my work too. :)

We are trying to work out a new sleeping arrangement for my 3 yo daughter as she currently sleeps with me and it all over the bed. Horizontal most of the time. Am considering either bunk beds for her and the 5 yo or her own bed which will be in our room for the time being.

The only thing I have done for this new baby is purchase some gently used newborn sized cloth diapers and a few wool covers, and I knit a pair of longies and am working on a sweater right now. Still need to prep the diapers I did buy as a few were new. I haven't even gotten down to the basement yet to sort through baby clothes to see what we have and what we still need. Also still need to purchase a used swing and bucket car seat! Eeeeeek, I am feeling a bit stressed now.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:29 PM

I am doing the same! I got hand-me-down baby girl clothes from my sister and went through them all the same night I got them...(tonight)!!! I want to wash and fold them and put them away so bad. I'm thinking I should do that with the mountains of clothes in the laundry room before I do that with baby girl's clothes! I am also having a strong desire to set up her room! It is getting exciting:)she is moving and kicking all the time now...and it is starting to feel real to me!

Married to a rad dad since 2005! Mommy to DS since 6-24-07! TTC #2 for 1 1/2 years...Joyfully EXPECTING #2 on 9/11!!!!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I did go through the bins in my attic, but will wait till late summer to wash everything and hang it out on the lines. For now, my getting ready involves knitting. I figure I might as well get as much of that done while I have the chance. :)

Wife to the greatest guy, and mommy to six handsome and fun boys!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:53 PM
L J

I have been wanting to nest lately, too. I have everything I need for the baby, but we live in a 2 bedroom apartment, so the longer I wait to set it all up, the longer we have a little more space to live in. I do have to buy her a chest of drawers, and I'm waiting for the right one to come up on Craigslist. I suppose when I find the right one, I will give in to the urge to nest.

I have been saying since I got my BFP that I wasn't going to do a darn thing until she was here and in my arms, because it was just too hard to look at it all last time... but I think that urge to wash and fold and organize and nest is going to get the best of me.

I think I NEED to give into this urge, because if I don't, I'm going to over shop. LOL.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

User Tag List