Anyone else feeling noncommittal about starting to buy baby stuff? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-25-2011, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maybe it's because this is baby #2, or maybe because it still feels really early to me (I'll be 19 weeks tomorrow), or because I'm not looking obviously pregnant, I am just kind of having a hard time getting excited about collecting whatever gear we'll need for this kiddo's arrival.  I had assumed that once we found out the sex, I'd go into high gear with it, but that didn't really happen. I know I've certainly got a lot of time still, but we're pretty much starting from scratch this time, and I know it would be wise to spread out the costs over the next few months.  

The closest I've come is obsessively stalking the diaperswappers fsot:) But even there, I just don't feel like I can even commit to what kind of cloth diapers we're going to use this time!  Maybe I'm feeling overwhelmed, or maybe I'm just not as susceptible to the whole "you need every single baby gadget in existence, and now!" propaganda thrown at pregnant ladies this time around. 

Is anyone else feeling "meh" about collecting for your new little one?

#2 of 12 Old 04-25-2011, 06:47 AM

Me!  I've bought a sling and a babyhawk carrier and that's it.  I'll get some clothes when it gets closer to D day :)  I think I resonate more w/ your latter guess - I don't feel like I need a bunch of plastic crap to invade my home.  I probably will get another boppy at some point because that is something I really did use ( and got rid of because we were done :D ) and I have dipes.  What else do I *really* need? 

#3 of 12 Old 04-25-2011, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

This is our 3rd and we have a boy and a girl.  We didn't find out the sex of the other two so all our NB clothes are green and yellow :)  The only thing we needed to buy was a new bucket carseat and let's face it, they aren't that exciting to shop for!  So I got one on Amazon and that's about all we need.  Yeah, I will wash newborn stuff when it's closer but other than that, I'm done shopping and so on (which is nice in a way ;) )

ETA:  I forgot....we did buy a minivan too.  Makes up for not having to get anything else and then some ;)

#4 of 12 Old 04-25-2011, 12:05 PM

I have some of the same feelings.... our budget is super tight and other than a carseat there isn't anything we "need-need" this time round (baby 4).  We have tons of baby carriers (a moby wrap, a WAHM sling, a New Native pouch, an Ergo, and two different snugli style soft front carriers since those are the ones DH prefers), toys and books and games, blankets and play mats and cloth diapers, boppys and baby clothing (if I do laundry every day which I already do so, yeah) and a bassinet and a pack/play with changing table thingie and even the dreaded minivan!

But I guess I'm feeling almost, well, not guilty, but... I don't know.  It's as if some of the "fun" is missing this time round.  Not that I shop a lot, but I do love thrifting and finding that perfect item, and I enjoyed the sort of "thinking/dreaming" about the babe on the way that I did while browsing the baby racks at the thrift shop.  I'll probably continue picking up baby clothes here and there and I'm starting to save for a belly bandit, but I feel like I'm going to be really hurting when I'm 8 months along and don't have the "fun stuff" like shopping to keep myself amused.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#5 of 12 Old 04-25-2011, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

But I guess I'm feeling almost, well, not guilty, but... I don't know. 

I know the feeling though don't have the word either.  I have heard it before from friends with more that two but to feel it is totally different. :( If you have one of each there's no "need" to get anything really though it is fun.  Part (for me) is not having the time and/or energy to do some of the "fun" shopping.  If I have a few minutes, I am going to use them to sleep and not shop! lol

Maybe it'll change but really, we do have what we need. Anything else is icing on the cake so to speak ;)

#6 of 12 Old 04-25-2011, 01:21 PM

I am kind of feeling the same way....this is baby #3 and we recieved all gender neutral clothes for our baby shower with our first.  Newborn clothes get outgrown so fast that we don't really need any clothes at all for the newborn stage.  If this is another boy, we are all set...we don't need anything, but if this is a girl, we will want some gender specific clothes, but not until after the 3 month stage anyway...

We are all set with cloth diapers, baby carriers, even car seat....

The only thing that we really need is a minivan...lol,

A couple of things I have my eye out for on craigslist etc are a pack and play (to use as a diaper changing station on our first floor) and a Joovy Ultralight...

haven't bought anything yet though :)-

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#7 of 12 Old 04-25-2011, 03:04 PM
L J

I've been browsing on CL, but I haven't really been able to commit to buying much. Part of me is scared to buy anything, in case we don't actually get to use it. It just doesn't feel real most of the time. All I really need is maybe a few girly outfits and I would like to get a pack and play, but all that can wait until she is actually here if I don't get around to it. I figured if I ever had a girl I'd be going nuts buying girly clothes, but now I go and look at them and think, eh... nothing I really like. Maybe when it gets closer I'll actually feel like doing something. I am not even planning on pulling the clothes and diapers and such out of totes until she is here and fine.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#8 of 12 Old 04-25-2011, 03:19 PM

I have pretty much everything already! I got a new car seat...I WISH we were getting a minivan hehe. I have been starting to stash up with OS diapers now since I have enough NB diapers. I don't want her to suddenly outgrow the newborn dipes and have to scramble to sell those for my OS stash! too much pressure with having a newborn around :)

#9 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 07:59 AM

I don't want a bunch of stuff until I have the baby. I already have things that I would need to buy ahead, like the crib and car seat. But beyond that, with how I am feeling, I might wait until I have her in hand to buy stuff. If she had been a boy, there would have been nothing to buy. 

#10 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yeah, there isn't really anything I NEED.  So, all I've bought so far is a onesie.  Just one.  LOL  This is my 4th kid and at some point I'd like to get a swing and bouncy, but they aren't necessities.  I like using them though.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#11 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Well I finally bought something! I got a couple gen-y diaper covers that I *love*, so it feels nice to be excited about something to do with getting ready.  I wish I was in the there's-not-really-anything-i-need boat, but that's not really the case! We were living in very small spaces with negligible storage until we bought our house last year, and also weren't sure we'd even have another kid, so we kept almost nothing.  Thought I'd be able to reuse ds's old carseat, but then I got it out and took off the cover to wash it, only to discover there was a huge chunk of styrofoam broken off of the side.  I don't know what happened! It was never in a wreck expired or anything.  Maybe it happened in storage or moving.  Anyway, we'll have to get a carseat, a breast pump, little bouncy chair, a whole diaper stash, and most clothes.  We kept some, but it's mostly the older stuff (2t+), and anyway they're totally opposite seasons so that wouldn't have been much help for the first year anyway.  I guess I'll also get a stroller at some point since we're not going with a bucket seat (for times when I can't wear or carry), and a swing, although I wouldn't consider those pre-baby must haves.  

Anyway, I'm happy to get things moving a bit, even two diaper covers at a time:)

#12 of 12 Old 05-03-2011, 08:28 AM

I've bought a onesie and a pair of slippers.

There isn't a lot we need, I don't want to spend much money, and I don't want a bunch of plastic junk. Plus DD is not really keen on baby shopping or me shopping online.

But I am missing the excitement of getting ready.

goldfish.gif Mischa 9.30.08, ribbonpb.gif Willow 7.4.10 (21 weeks), rainbow1284.gif Nate 8.27.11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page