Where to find non-frumpy maternity clothes (esp tops)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, the title says it all - I'm really having a hard time finding anything I like this time around! So far I have been wearing flowy non-maternity tops with cardigans and now my belly is getting big enough that I really need maternity tops. I have looked at the usual places - Target, Kohls, Motherhood, Gap, Old Navy, and am finding a really pathetic selection. Sometimes I find things I like okay but the quality is so bad (Motherhood) that I can't bring myself to buy it. I don't want to spend a lot but am willing to pay a bit more for some staples that I can wear with some stretchy-waisted skirts I have on hand for summer. Any ideas???? My typical style is kind of bohemian, feminine.

Here is an example of one that I like (but isn't available in my size, boo)

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5810&vid=1&pid=811890&scid=811890012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 02:41 PM

Due Date club crashing...I'm due in August on the 30th, so in all actuality, I'll probably deliver in Sept, soooo...Anyway, I saw your note and just wanted to offer advise from one mother who hates maternity shirts to another....

Buy yoga clothing. Athleta and Title one can be accessed on line. Yoga clothing is stretchy, breathable, and SO cute. Great for warm weather wear as well. Even yoga DRESSES will stretch for an ample amount to accommodate a beautiful belly. Yoga skirts often have stretchy waists that give and give and/or can be folded under your belly. Buy a size or two bigger than you normally would, and enjoy!

I am currently wearing a long sleeve yoga top with a very cute neckline and a pair of yoga pants. I am comfy, cozy and I feel NON frumpy.
Not only that...you can wear items like this foreva....very cool. Take THAT ugly maternity wear!!!

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

Old 05-02-2011, 02:47 PM

I never looked what I would call fashionable when I was pregnant (my style is the same ish as yours). I ended up wearing the most basic tops, like from target, with wrap skirts. I did end up finding (out of 2 pregnancies!!) a total of 2 tops that fit my style, one was old navy brand and the other I don't remember, but found them both at re-sale shops.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:50 PM

oh, just thought of the enwrapture vintage dresses, the tube dresses are really comfortable and great for pregnancy. There are co-ops for them every once in a while so you don't have to spend like, $40 on one. There is one co-op open right now, idk if I'm supposed to post a link for something like that? it's crunchy-cooperative.com

but it's closing very soon, in a day or so I think. If I'm not supposed to post links like that please let me know and I'll delete it.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much!

On the yoga wear - I actually wear mostly yoga-style pants for my everyday pants and love them! You are right, you can wear them beyond pregnancy as well. I guess what I'm looking for is something a little dressier for work and going out. I have a couple of different pretty knee-length skirts with stretchy yoga waistbands that are begging for some type of short sleeved or sleeveless blouse to go with them.

I am on crunchy cooperative so I will go check that out, thanks! I also found a few dresses on Etsy that I like but they are $$. Here is an example, I think this is kind of like the enwrapture (sp?) ones right?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/70489441/light-pink-rose-cotton-mix-to-coconut

Old 05-03-2011, 10:34 AM

have you checked out second hand stores and A Pea in the Pod or Etsy? oops! i see you did look on Etsy...

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 AM

That's a great idea about the yoga clothing. I have found a few maternity things at consignment sales, but I am in desperate need to find some more clothes soon- it is hard to find anything I like!

Old 05-03-2011, 12:24 PM

I hit the jackpot this weekend - a Gap Outlet sidewalk sale that was mostly size XL t-shirts.  I've hated almost every Gap Maternity top I've seen, but found several oversized Ts that I think will work nicely, even over a big bump. 

I wear a lot of drapey-front cardigans to work - no closures.  I'm hoping it looks airy and sophisticated as opposed to like I'm wearing giant blankets!!

There's a British catalog called Boden (www.bodenusa.com) that recently launched a maternity line, but it's very limited.  I'm a long time fan and ordered one of almost everything - and returned all of it except for the leggings (EXCELLENT leggings and a good price) and t-shirt.  If you like anything there, google the name because you can usually find a coupon for at least 15% off with free shipping & free returns. 

I can't get away with the yoga stuff at work but for those who are looking - I always get great yoga stuff for cheap at TJ Maxx and Marshalls! 

My biggest problem with frumpiness on top has been my giant boobs.  I am normally pretty small chested and I clearly do not understand how to dress a 36C bustline!  Any tips?

cd.gif   trekkie.gif   hang.gif     dog2.gif
Old 05-03-2011, 12:26 PM

ALSO....there is a really cool dress by pategonia called the Morning Glory dress...nice stretchy and slightly sexy for dinner or party wear...or just hangin'. You can often find them on Ebay for less than new...in fact, i just got a blue one for $10.00. Hubby loves the way it looks...

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

Old 05-03-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the Boden tip - I have gotten their catalogs before and like their stuff! The ruffled white tank top looks like just what I am looking for. Why did you return a bunch of the things you ordered, just curious?

I will look for that Patagonia dress, sounds great!

also thanks for the tip on finding less expensive yoga wear. The main yoga shops here in boulder are $$$$ - Lucy and Lululemon. I almost hyperventilate upon setting foot into them because I typically buy my clothes at Savers (which has a laughable maternity section) and can't even fathom spending $90 for a pair of yoga pants!!! Ugh.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracecody View Post

Thanks so much for the Boden tip - I have gotten their catalogs before and like their stuff! The ruffled white tank top looks like just what I am looking for. Why did you return a bunch of the things you ordered, just curious?

Various reasons.  There is a tunic and a dress which are both nicely made, but the patterns were truly nightmarish.  In solid colors, they were very dowdy and balloony.  I did keep the striped t-shirt, but it won't make it more than a couple more weeks for me - it's just not cut long enough in front.  I mostly kept it for post-natal!   The jeans were the worst - I bought 3 different sizes and they were all over the place - very small in the thigh (and I have fairly skinny legs) yet huge on top.  The belly bands were too loose to hold the pants up on the larger sizes. 

I did keep the "elegant drapey top" but honestly, it's dowdy.  I kept it in case a work thing comes up this summer that requires me to look halfway respectable.  The colors are nice, at least.

I have lots of Boden clothes because I find their stuff to be very well-made and more interesting than the Ann Taylor/JCrew options.  The quality of the maternity stuff was good but the design overall just wasn't up to what I expect from them.  Their clothing isn't cheap, but usually worth it; however, those jeans were $86 and I found nicer ones at Target for $30!

Again - hold out for the good coupon so that you can order a couple of sizes and return anything that doesn't work out. 

Old 05-03-2011, 04:29 PM

i've found that a lot of the non-maternity dress styles this season are great for maternity!  especially the maxi dresses and the shorter flowy sundresses.  i've bought lots of those, and i think they'll probably fit me the whole way through.  i am having a harder time with work wear though, as i can't really wear dresses for my job.  it's very hard to find non-frumpy maternity tops that are not hugely expensive.  and the selection in this city is ridiculous, it seems like all the stores are discontinuing maternity lines for some reason. 

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

Old 05-03-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareimer View Post

it seems like all the stores are discontinuing maternity lines for some reason. 

Yes, exactly. Last week I had to try to find a black maternity dress to wear to a funeral and was happy to find that Dillards had a Motherhood Maternity department - but it was so tiny. Like, 2 dresses to choose from and both were so cheap and casual (not to mention, ill fitting) they weren't even an option. Anyway I noticed that the maternity selection at Kohls, Target and Old Navy was half the size or smaller than it was 4 years ago when I was last pregnant! Not sure what's up with that, I realize you can buy online but the fit is so sketchy sometimes I would really prefer to be able to try things on.

I wish we had an H&M here, I really like their maternity clothes from what I have seen.

Robyn I totally agree with you on the dresses. I love those maxi dresses for summer, I have 2 already from last summer that will work great. A lot of the dresses seem to have the empire band at the rib cage so they'll work for maternity if they are loose enough. I'm the same as you, not really able to wear dresses to work.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:07 PM

Try milanmaternity.com, shadeclothing.com, shabbyapple.com, and seraphine.co (not .com) 

Old 05-04-2011, 11:14 AM

the same thing seems to be happening here! maternity sections are kind of pathetic when a few years ago, they were well-stocked!!

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracecody View Post

I wish we had an H&M here, I really like their maternity clothes from what I have seen.

Dang!  We have H&M but they don't have maternity clothes!  I am sure this is too late to help with your funeral wear, but the one nice item I picked up from Gap Maternity was a 3/4 sleeve fitted stretch jersey dress.  Here it is:  http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6035&vid=1&pid=808046&scid=808046012

Old 05-04-2011, 11:25 AM

.... and I meant to add, I'm not surprised to hear all these reports that a few years ago, stores had more styles.  The best clothes I've found have been used at a nice consignment shop!  Same labels (Gap, Pea in the Pod, Motherhood) but much nicer, less frumpty-dumpty stuff.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:57 AM

Always check out Ebay for slightly used or overstocked yoga wear...if you type in "Athleta yoga pants size (whatever)" Or even just "yoga pants" you will come up with a SLEW of goods at VERY reduced prices. I never pay full price. EVER. Can't afford it. Don't need to anyways...Not with Ebay! There seem to be plenty of wealthy women who clean out their closets on a seasonal basis. Why should I worry about whether my pants are charcoal or light black. or if my yoga skirt is raspberry instead of berry-mist Same thing to ME! eyesroll.gif

Old 05-04-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ-ME View Post

Dang!  We have H&M but they don't have maternity clothes!  I am sure this is too late to help with your funeral wear, but the one nice item I picked up from Gap Maternity was a 3/4 sleeve fitted stretch jersey dress.  Here it is:  http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6035&vid=1&pid=808046&scid=808046012

That is really nice and would have worked. As it turned out, I had a black cocktail dress from my first pregnancy (which I wore at a very large 36 weeks mind you) that worked. Was totally a potato sack but I wasn't too concerned, just wanted to wear something appropriate.

thanks for all the other suggestions! Sounds like I'm going to have to put some time into this even though I don't want to. Shopping is not my fave thing while I'm pregnant, esp with a 3 and 5 year old who get crazy whenever we set foot inside this type of store. I also work full time so it's hard to carve out the time, esp for consignment/thrift stores where I am not sure I will actually find anything that works.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

One thing I do is buy short dresses and wear them as tunics with pants (I do this even when not pregnant).  Motherhood has some cute short dresses I want to get, and I'll wear them as "shirts" with leggings or loose pants.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:16 PM

i do this too! 

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

User Tag List