I switched OBs - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-03-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had problems over the weekend with fever and contractions. My new OB, who is very supportive of VBACs was not the one oncall. His oncall OB told me they would do nothing to try to stop or prevent preterm contractions. If anything happened, they would let them run their course. Plus, he told me, any baby born before 24 weeks, even if that baby were 23weeks6days, they would label him a miscarriage. I had a baby at 23.5 weeks before and he lived a little while and was beautiful and gorgeous and I would be horrified if they called him a miscarriage. And since I did have a fever at the time and knew if caught soon enough, if there was an infection, antibiotics could be given.  One other thing is that I was told if I gave birth before 24 weeks, which means even at 23 weeks 6 days, they would make me stay in the ER to do it or move me to a regular hospital room, but I still would not be moved in to a more private labor and delivery room. I think this is awful. I have found that in regular hospital rooms, visitors are often in the hallways and on the floors and people in the next rooms can hear you. I am shocked at the idea that I would be forced to labor and birth in an ER room or a regular hospital room if giving birth at 23weeks6days with nothing done at all to try to hold off the birth. I spoke to both the doctor on call and the nurse about it and was told the same thing. 

So, that was Sunday, Monday morning, I waited for them to call me right back. They actually open before 8am. I never heard back so I called back again at 10:40 am. I was told that they would ask the nurse and see what she says. I waited until maybe 11:10am. Then I called back and was told it would be after 2pm before they called me back. So, I was sitting there with a fever and cramps and this is what I was being told. I got upset with her so she went ahead and put me on hold and asked someone and they told me I could come in. I asked her what they would do and she asked again and they said the nurse would just check my urine for a UTI and if there was nothing there, then that was all they intended to do. I said if all they are going to do is check for a UTI, I would just go to my regular doctor and get checked. I did act like I was just going to go to the family doctor. 

But instead, I went and called a different OB and fortunately, they got me in same day. They checked everything from my cervix to urine to a sonogram. Fortunately, all was fine. It is just a flu bug. But, I am happy I switched. Even getting dehydrated can send someone in to preterm labor and is treatable. So I am no longer that comfortable with the doctor I was seeing to begin with and I switched completely. I am happy to be switched and feel better. I am sure my chances of a VBAC went down with the switch, but, I am just not comfortable with the first doctor anymore. I have been feeling less and less confident lately, so this is was the final, yet obviously very big, straw.

#2 of 8 Old 05-03-2011, 05:29 PM

I am  DDC crashing but I just had to say that I am so sorry that happened to you, and also so sorry for your earlier loss.  That is seriously horrifying that they weren't going to do anything to help you.  I would see about reporting this to some sort of medical board.  I just can't imagine that can be okay.... What did your new doctor say?  I hope you have a smooth and healthy pregnancy going forward. 

#3 of 8 Old 05-03-2011, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

The way they handle preterm labor is hospital policy. That is what the doctor told me and I called the hospital, two different places there, and found out it was true. It really is hospital policy. Which, is a horrible policy! Which is a complete understatement to say that.

Anyway, I was crying and embarrassed when I got to the other OB and explaining to her why I had gone elsewhere for the first few months. She just hugged me and told me I did not need to be embarrassed and it was all ok.

#4 of 8 Old 05-03-2011, 05:42 PM

Hospital policy.  Wow, that is sickening.  I am so glad you were able to switch!

#5 of 8 Old 05-03-2011, 05:52 PM

omg, i can't believe that is hospital policy.  that is just horrible, and must have been so frightening.  i'm sorry you had to go through that.

glad you found an OB who you are happier with.  if i were you i would have done the same thing and never looked back.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#6 of 8 Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 PM

Oh wow that is a horrible hospital policy- and the way the other OB office handled things..well, I would have switched too! It's SO important to be with someone that you can trust and are comfortable with. No need for the extra stress of a dr's office that doesn't treat you (and your pregnancy!) the way you need to be treated 

#7 of 8 Old 05-03-2011, 06:35 PM

What a horrible policy!!! I cannot even imagine, treating someone like that who is going through such a horrible loss...I seriously hate hospitals :(

#8 of 8 Old 05-04-2011, 04:31 AM

Wow, Lisa :(  Some people are just in the wrong jobs :/  Even if that is "policy", to every mother, that baby is her *child*.  I can't believe they would be so cavalier about it :(  I'm glad everything worked out in the end and that you found a practice that is more human.  Hope you're feeling better!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page