Circumcision argument with husband! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 56 Old 05-04-2011, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
 
librarymommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I go for my ultrasound in less than 2 weeks, and I am so worried that this baby is going to be a boy (my 3 yr old dd insists she's having a baby sister so I hope she's right). Normally I'd love a boy, but dh won't even talk about circumcision. He insists that it is happening, and that is it. I told him to convince me, and he left the room! I've left material against circumcision out and he crumples it up and places it in recycling without even reading it! If I let my baby boy be circumcised, I know that I will be a complete wreck and always regret it. Although I really want this baby and can't wait, I'm afraid I will be so upset if it is a boy not a girl just because this one issue is creating so much misery.

librarymommy is offline  
#2 of 56 Old 05-04-2011, 05:46 PM
A&A
 
A&A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

BIG HUGS.  Here are some links for YOU to read and think about.   Don't show them to your dh, though.  Also come visit us over at The Case Against Circumcision forum...you'll get lots of support!!

 

http://www.udonet.com/circumcision/vincent/vulnerability_of_men.html

 

http://www.noharmm.org/feminist.htm

 

A quote from this second link:

"Today, it is often the more passive, compliant mother who will allow her son to be circumcised, acquiescing to the demands of medical professionals, husband, family or other outside sources - probably against her better judgment. The more self-determined, confident mother is more likely to insist that her son remain intact, since she has the strength to withstand the outside pressures of a circumcision oriented society."

 

 

 


"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
A&A is offline  
#3 of 56 Old 05-04-2011, 05:56 PM
 
scsigrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 2 steps from CraZyville
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Once my DH SAW a video of the procedure, he never questioned not doing it again.  In the end, I would have stood my ground but I am glad he saw the light.  I can't even imagine what it would have come down to in your shoes.  I have a friend who is of the Jewish faith and she was SO upset that between religion and her DH they did circ but much later (he was in the NICU for a while and she wouldn't even consider it till later).  She made her DH do all the diaper changes and circ care till it was healed because she just couldn't.

 

(((hugs)))

scsigrl is offline  
#4 of 56 Old 05-04-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
 
librarymommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the links. In Canada, many people don't circumcise, but here, everyone thinks I'm being unreasonable. You know all the arguments; cleanliness, bullying, it will have to be done later anyways, the baby doesn't feel anything...

 

These will help me understand the whole ideology better behind both sides. I just can't bear the thought of mutilating a newborn infant.

librarymommy is offline  
#5 of 56 Old 05-04-2011, 06:14 PM
 
EarthyLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Central US
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

*sigh*  I'm sorry.  BTDT.  I did at least get my hubby to agree to hold off unless there were obvious reasons it needed to be done.  DS is now 5 and still intact.  It helped that we had a home birth and it's not done then and we'd have had to make a special appointment to have it done.  DH is still not exactly convinced to being intact is better per se, but he doesn't push it with me anymore.  I love that the stats are going more and more people are intact and circing is being done less and less.  I love that many insurance companies no longer cover it as well.  It really helps the case to not have it done automatically and people really have to think about their reasons.


Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

EarthyLady is offline  
#6 of 56 Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 PM
 
bignerpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know how you feel. *hugs*

I was so relieved to find out that I'm having a girl. My son is circumcised, after a huge debate and my husband ultimately convinced me. But I knew it wouldn't happen again, and I just hoped that we would have a girl, so it would be a non-issue.

I hope things work out for you :-)

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

bignerpie is offline  
#7 of 56 Old 05-04-2011, 10:51 PM
 
NDFanatik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas, United States
Posts: 833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

((hugs))  I'm so sorry.  :( 

 

I'm very grateful at times like these that my husband has agreed to not circ if we have another boy.  My 1st son was circ'd and I regret it.  Our only worry about it is what to say to my son if he asks why his penis is different and how to make this baby (if it's a boy) not feel out of place since my husband is circ'd as well.  I WISH I had actually looked into it before I had my 1st child instead of doing it just because "everyone else does!"  :/

 

 

 


Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

NDFanatik is offline  
#8 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 04:45 AM
 
Dlynn918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What is DH's reason for his opinion? He obviously has very strong feelings on it and maybe there is a reasonable explanation behind it. My DS was born in 96 and I was told at the time the decision was about 50/50 nation wide and as far as I know it still is. I left him intact gladly, however he was born with phimosis (narrowing of the forskin) and developed painful adhesions. By the time he was 10 he was is a lot of pain and still couldn't pull it back to wash it. I took him to a specialist at our local childrens hospital who explained that he was risking major infections over time which could leave him scarred, so we made the sad decision to have him circumcised. This was not an easy choice. I received a TON of shit for it from my anti-circ friends when I just needed support on a very awful time. I work in the OR and I have seen many cases like this when a boy or man has suffered through dozens of infections and they are left with horrible scarring and I wasnt about to let that happen to him either. Keep in mind this is very rare but it does happen. I know this subject enrages many on both sides of the fence but it is a personal one. I have a friend who's DH went through the same thing as a boy and now is adamant that he won't it happen to his son and it isnt even a discussion. My point is that maybe your husband has a justifiable reason for his opinions. Maybe he had a late circ that he was traumatized over it and doesnt want to talk about it..Im sure you would know, but..... Or perhaps he made fun of other boys when he was a kid and just doesnt understand that times have changed? Many men who are not intact view the intact penis as "gross" and "dirty" and have no problem with making fun of other guys who are intact. Perhaps it's just social pressure he can be pulled from when he understands more? My advice would be to have a discussion about it in the presence of someone who can be a neutral advocate, like your midwife perhaps, and maybe he wont be as likely to turn his back to you. Tell him your willing to educate yourself on the argument to circ if he is willing to educate himself on the argument NOT to just to give him the opportunity to open his eyes to other information. Can you call your MW and ask her to casually bring it up at your next appointment?


And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
Dlynn918 is offline  
#9 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 06:51 AM
 
Snugglebugmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DDCC because this is an issue that I may have to deal with it soon, and I've already had discussions with DH over it in the past. We have two girls, and I am pregnant with our third child. If this is a boy, he will not be circumcised. My husband is circumcised, and feels rather strongly about having it done to his son as well, should he have one. The only argument he can come up with, is:"Well, I was circumcised too, and I want my son to be like me."

That doesn't hold water with me. What if his nose is different than DH's? His hair? His built? His eye color? You can't expect your child to be like you in every respect, why would you deliberately cut off perfectly healthy tissue that has a reason for being there to make your child more like you? 

As for the "other boys will tease him": these days the number of circumcised boys is much lower anyway, and how much time do they spend in the shower studying each others' body parts? Doesn't hold water with me either.

I feel so strongly about this that I will not back down. There are a great many things I will, and have, compromise(d) on, but this particular hill is the one I will die on if need be. I did not spend nine months building this perfect little human being only to have random parts cut off of him right after he's born. 

catieface and Mommel like this.

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif
 

Snugglebugmom is offline  
#10 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 07:50 AM
 
EarthyLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Central US
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

DDCC because this is an issue that I may have to deal with it soon, and I've already had discussions with DH over it in the past. We have two girls, and I am pregnant with our third child. If this is a boy, he will not be circumcised. My husband is circumcised, and feels rather strongly about having it done to his son as well, should he have one. The only argument he can come up with, is:"Well, I was circumcised too, and I want my son to be like me."

That doesn't hold water with me. What if his nose is different than DH's? His hair? His built? His eye color? You can't expect your child to be like you in every respect, why would you deliberately cut off perfectly healthy tissue that has a reason for being there to make your child more like you? 

As for the "other boys will tease him": these days the number of circumcised boys is much lower anyway, and how much time do they spend in the shower studying each others' body parts? Doesn't hold water with me either.

I feel so strongly about this that I will not back down. There are a great many things I will, and have, compromise(d) on, but this particular hill is the one I will die on if need be. I did not spend nine months building this perfect little human being only to have random parts cut off of him right after he's born. 


These were all my hubby's arguments too.  thankfully I was able to say, "Well, my dad wasn't circ'd and my brother's weren't circ'd" and I even asked my dad about it right in front of him and asked him about if he'd every had any problems and what women thought about it, if he was teased, etc.  It didn't necessarily change his mind, but it did take some steam out of his sails thinking he knew what was best in that instance.  :)

 


Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

EarthyLady is offline  
#11 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 08:20 AM
 
SuzyQ-ME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just to weigh in from a slightly different perspective... 

 

At first I was avoiding posts on this subject for the reasons below, but I realize I have to be comfortable with the decision my husband and I have made, not just hide my head in the sand.

 

Before I get into it, let me just say that your husband's attitude - throwing out information you've obtained, refusing to discuss it - is rude and inexcusable.   All you're asking for is a conversation!

 

I am Dlynn's friend who has the husband with the strong opinion based on his medical history.  My husband had serious health issues and wound up being circumcised when he was much older, old enough to remember the pain and trauma.  It is clearly something he feels very strongly about, and to be honest, he's usually just not like that.  He's very easy going and open-minded. 

 

Personally, my gut instinct/assumption was that I would not circumcise my baby.  However, I also "assumed" that the father would feel the same.  (You know what happens when you assume!)  I'm really surprised to hear so many men in favor of it just because they are circumcised.  I agree that this seems like a weak reason to subject a baby to a medical procedure that is considered unnecessary in most cultures/places.  (Oh, and when I say most, I'm including the US - our insurance company considers this to be elective surgery for which we will pay out of pocket.)

 

This is a decision that parents should make together, in an informed way.  It's no more fair for one parent to insist the child be left intact and refuse to back down than it is for the other parent to storm out of the room when that is suggested.  My husband has a strong opinion but it wasn't some sort of final decree that I just have to live with.   We discussed the issue and I was convinced that he is speaking from a place of great pain and concern for his son.  For that reason, I am getting myself comfortable with our decision.  We did discuss this, together, with our MW, so again, this is not an uninformed decision. made for cosmetic or social reasons.

 

I guess I don't have much advice, so much as I just wanted to share my thoughts as someone who was anti but has compromised.    I agree that you will feel regret for a very long time if you don't get comfortable with this decision.  Likewise, your husband needs to get comfortable with the idea if you decide not to circumcise.  It sounds like you're approaching him in a non-confrontational way, asking him to tell you his reasons, etc.  Just keep at it, explain your feelings and why you are so uncomfortable just as you did above - that you don't want to feel regret and remorse every time you change a diaper!   All your asking for is some understanding.

 

 

 

 


cd.gif   trekkie.gif   hang.gif     dog2.gif
SuzyQ-ME is offline  
#12 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 09:33 AM
 
Phineasmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just wanted to offer some support...my DH is circd and my son is intact...he didn't put up such a fuss about it but still! your opinion and your concerns aren't any less vaild because you're a woman or you don't have a penis so you "don't know what it's like" or any other BS excuses you might hear! You should have an equal say in this matter because you are his mother and you are half of the parental unit.

 

Besides, you can always circ him later but you can never take it back...to me that is a good enough reason not to circ :(

Phineasmama is offline  
#13 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 09:51 AM
 
flightgoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DLynn, that happened to my dad! He was pro circumcision all the way, since getting circumcised as a 10 yo is kindof traumatic on some levels. I let my hubby decide, and from my dad's basic explaination of his experience, I decided I was ok with either way. Hubby decided for circ. We BOTH were in the room with baby, at the ped's office, they used something for numbing, sugar water/ pacifier, it lasted 2-4 minutes, and I nursed him the second he was put back in my arms. I am hoping the next one is a girl, but if it is a boy, I'll still let hubby decide.

flightgoddess is offline  
#14 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 09:52 AM
 
philomom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Bradley childbirth classes brought up the subject and showed us a video. Then the instructor said.. "all this pain for something unnecessary". And that was that.. my hubby said... "no one doing that to my kid". All I can say if that goodness for Bradley because all my little nephews on my husband's side are circed... poor things.
philomom is offline  
#15 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 09:56 AM
 
Jaimee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Posts: 7,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DDCC b/c I just went through this with my last pregnancy.  We weren't going to get the 20 week sono, but we knew if we ended up having a boy we were going to have to debate circumcision.  And as it turned out, we did have a boy!  It was really good that we had 4-5 months to figure things out.  I started out by saying I did not want to circ.  My husband started out by saying he wanted to and it was weird not to.  So I started doing a bunch of research, which he refused to read.  He said that it had nothing to do with research, facts, figures, etc. and everything to do with how he felt.  I kept telling him that I needed him to give me a better answer than that, that we needed to actually discuss the decision.  I brought it up every couple of weeks, but he never changed what he said.  It wasn't until the very end that he finally seemed to give up.  He knew how strongly I felt and realized that his feelings were not rational.  So he agreed that we could leave our son intact.   Several days after the birth he was changing ds' diaper and looked up at me and said, "I'm really happy with our decision not to circumcise.  Now that he's here, I never could have had it done." FWIW, dh was raised Jewish, too.  So for us it took time and an exorbitant amount of patience on my part to let dh just sit on his feelings.  As a pp mentioned, you might be able to compromise with simply putting it off for a while after the birth.  Perhaps like my dh, your dh could have a change of heart once he's holding his helpless, trusting, perfect baby boy.  Good luck!!


Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Jaimee is offline  
#16 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 10:21 AM
 
Tofu the Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OP, please, please visit the Case Against Circumcision forum here. I feel that you are getting some misinformation in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ-ME View Post

This is a decision that parents should make together, in an informed way.  It's no more fair for one parent to insist the child be left intact and refuse to back down than it is for the other parent to storm out of the room when that is suggested.

I strongly disagree. It is VERY fair for one parent to stand up for their child's rights not to have their genitals mutilated. It is VERY fair for that parent to take a strong stance against the mutilation and refuse to back down.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
Tofu the Geek is offline  
#17 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 AM
 
hck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: central MA
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

What is DH's reason for his opinion? He obviously has very strong feelings on it and maybe there is a reasonable explanation behind it. My DS was born in 96 and I was told at the time the decision was about 50/50 nation wide and as far as I know it still is. I left him intact gladly, however he was born with phimosis (narrowing of the forskin) and developed painful adhesions. By the time he was 10 he was is a lot of pain and still couldn't pull it back to wash it. I took him to a specialist at our local childrens hospital who explained that he was risking major infections over time which could leave him scarred, so we made the sad decision to have him circumcised. This was not an easy choice. I received a TON of shit for it from my anti-circ friends when I just needed support on a very awful time. I work in the OR and I have seen many cases like this when a boy or man has suffered through dozens of infections and they are left with horrible scarring and I wasnt about to let that happen to him either. Keep in mind this is very rare but it does happen. I know this subject enrages many on both sides of the fence but it is a personal one. I have a friend who's DH went through the same thing as a boy and now is adamant that he won't it happen to his son and it isnt even a discussion. My point is that maybe your husband has a justifiable reason for his opinions. Maybe he had a late circ that he was traumatized over it and doesnt want to talk about it..Im sure you would know, but..... Or perhaps he made fun of other boys when he was a kid and just doesnt understand that times have changed? Many men who are not intact view the intact penis as "gross" and "dirty" and have no problem with making fun of other guys who are intact. Perhaps it's just social pressure he can be pulled from when he understands more? My advice would be to have a discussion about it in the presence of someone who can be a neutral advocate, like your midwife perhaps, and maybe he wont be as likely to turn his back to you. Tell him your willing to educate yourself on the argument to circ if he is willing to educate himself on the argument NOT to just to give him the opportunity to open his eyes to other information. Can you call your MW and ask her to casually bring it up at your next appointment?


This was so hard to read because we went through a very similar experience last year when my son was 6.  His issue was a bit different in that it was his frenulum that was too tight.  The options were to circ and be done w/ it or cut the frenulum and have to keep retracting it every day to make sure it didn't grow back (or some such thing - I've kind of blocked it out, it makes me so sad).  We opted for the circ because we thought it would end up being the least amount of pain.  We can never know if it was the right choice or not but it worked out ok.  He's fine.  But I still hate that he had to go through that.  Which, of course, leaves me in a terrible quandary w/ this baby who *is* a boy.  My instinct is to leave him be but I can't find any info on stats of this condition or if it's hereditary or what.  Not looking to be "convinced" by anyone, BTW.  Just wanted to thank you, Dlynn, for sharing because I know how hard that is. 

 

SuzyQ-ME likes this.
hck73 is offline  
#18 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 11:22 AM
 
SuzyQ-ME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu the Geek View Post

I strongly disagree. It is VERY fair for one parent to stand up for their child's rights not to have their genitals mutilated. It is VERY fair for that parent to take a strong stance against the mutilation and refuse to back down.

 

How is is fair for one parent to steamroll the other on something that matters to them - or worse yet, that they may have pre-conceived misunderstandings about?  Doesn't what @Jaimee wrote, about taking time to work through an issue together - learning together - sound more effective?   

 

Somewhere, the original poster's husband is having this conversation with his dad or uncle or someone else who is pro, and they are saying the same thing you are in the reverse - that he has every right to stand up for what he wants for his child's manhood and refuse to back down or read any of the research she has carefully collected.  How does this accomplish anything?    Would it not be better if people stepped back and made an attempt to understand each other?   I'm not saying anyone should just capitulate on something that matters to them.  Trying to win someone over to your way of thinking is best accomplished through rational discussion and education, not ultimatums. 

 

In the end, this is a yes-or-no question: someone is not getting what they want (or what they thought they wanted).  They deserve to be heard and to have their concerns addressed in a respectful way, not just dismissed. 

 

 

 


cd.gif   trekkie.gif   hang.gif     dog2.gif
SuzyQ-ME is offline  
#19 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 11:25 AM
 
hck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: central MA
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu the Geek View Post

OP, please, please visit the Case Against Circumcision forum here. I feel that you are getting some misinformation in this thread.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ-ME View Post

This is a decision that parents should make together, in an informed way.  It's no more fair for one parent to insist the child be left intact and refuse to back down than it is for the other parent to storm out of the room when that is suggested.



I strongly disagree. It is VERY fair for one parent to stand up for their child's rights not to have their genitals mutilated. It is VERY fair for that parent to take a strong stance against the mutilation and refuse to back down.

She wasn't advocating circumcising or otherwise but *gasp* behaving like a team w/ one's partner.

 

Dlynn918 likes this.
hck73 is offline  
#20 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 11:27 AM
 
philomom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ-ME View Post



 

How is is fair for one parent to steamroll the other on something that matters to them - or worse yet, that they may have pre-conceived misunderstandings about? 



This is an issue to steamroll over.

I see you are new here but at MDC we do not endorse the cutting of baby boys.

There are moms here who cut their spouses out of the homebirth decision, the never vaxing decisions and the extended breastfeeding decision. I worked through all those with my husband as a partner should. But I was willing to draw a line in the sand over hurting my beautiful boy. All men are born with a foreskin.. Mother Nature makes them this way
philomom is offline  
#21 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 12:48 PM
 
hck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: central MA
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ-ME View Post



 

How is is fair for one parent to steamroll the other on something that matters to them - or worse yet, that they may have pre-conceived misunderstandings about? 





This is an issue to steamroll over.

I see you are new here but at MDC we do not endorse the cutting of baby boys.

There are moms here who cut their spouses out of the homebirth decision, the never vaxing decisions and the extended breastfeeding decision. I worked through all those with my husband as a partner should. But I was willing to draw a line in the sand over hurting my beautiful boy. All men are born with a foreskin.. Mother Nature makes them this way


How on earth do you think you are convincing anyone on the fence by advocating cutting her partner out of the conversation?  This boggles my mind.  I think you will be surprised at how many more women (and men!) you would convince of your point of view if you stuck to the facts.

hck73 is offline  
#22 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 12:50 PM
 
Tofu the Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hck73 View Post



Hello, hyperbole!  So glad you could join in the conversation.  It's always lots of fun when things are taken out of context, don't ya think?  Give me a break.  She wasn't advocating circumcising or otherwise but *gasp* behaving like a team w/ one's partner.  Ever heard of catching more flies w/ honey?
 

 


I didn't take her post out of context at all. I don't agree that it is a decision to be made together as that implies there is more than one option. For me, and the philosophy of MDC, cutting is not an option. Thus, there is no decision to be made. Having a discussion to provide information is usually the first step, but if it comes down to the one who wants to cut will not listen or read the information or still wants to cut after hearing/reading the information, steamrolling may be the only solution left. Circumcision IS that serious.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
Tofu the Geek is offline  
#23 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 01:09 PM
 
hck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: central MA
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu the Geek View Post

It would seem that you haven't heard of catching flies with honey, your post was rude. I was not rude to the poster I replied to, I stated my disagreement and why.

I didn't take her post out of context at all. I don't agree that it is a decision to be made together as that implies there is more than one option. For me, and the philosophy of MDC, cutting is not an option. Thus, there is no decision to be made. Having a discussion to provide information is usually the first step, but if it comes down to the one who wants to cut will not listen or read the information or still wants to cut after hearing/reading the information, steamrolling may be the only solution left. Circumcision IS that serious.


*shrug* If you say so.  It sure read rude to me and your quote sure seemed out of context.  I agree w/ you that the first step is to gather information.  I do not, however, agree that one parent is more in charge.  I've never had this issue w/ my husband, but I can tell you that I would not put up with him treating me as disrespectfully as you are advising the OP to act towards her partner.  It is your *opinion* that there is no decision.  Not everyone feels like that I would be extremely surprised if the OP's partner changed his mind if she took your advice.  IMO, her partner is being childish by not even entertaining the information and that should really be the focus - not to get her to act in the same way. 

 

OP, there is still a long way to go until we give birth so my advice to you is to keep trying to let your partner know how important this is to you and try to find out why he is so adamant.  I know there are a lot of men who grew up being told that any other way than circed is unclean but I think there's a lot of information out there to show that that is simply not true.  Good luck with this.  It's hard when you and your partner aren't on the same page.  I hope you can work it out.

 

hck73 is offline  
#24 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 01:33 PM
 
Tofu the Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hck73 View Post




*shrug* If you say so.  It sure read rude to me and your quote sure seemed out of context.  I agree w/ you that the first step is to gather information.  I do not, however, agree that one parent is more in charge.  I've never had this issue w/ my husband, but I can tell you that I would not put up with him treating me as disrespectfully as you are advising the OP to act towards her partner.  It is your *opinion* that there is no decision.  Not everyone feels like that I would be extremely surprised if the OP's partner changed his mind if she took your advice.  IMO, her partner is being childish by not even entertaining the information and that should really be the focus - not to get her to act in the same way. 

See, I think there was a misunderstanding. I wasn't advocating that she steamroll. I stated that it is fair to stand up for the child's rights and fair to take a strong stance. Nowhere does this say steamroll. That was brought up later by someone else, and I agreed that it might have to be used as a last resort if the other person won't budge. And if it comes to the point where one parent wants to abuse the child and won't listen to reason, then what other options does the non abusing parent have?

The poster I responded to did say that it wasn't fair for a parent to insist that a child to be left intact. Well, it is fair to insist. Fair to the child. It is how you go about insisting it that is the issue. I was not advocating to yell and scream or say you'll divorce if you didn't get your way. I was just trying to say that their is *not* UNfairness in advocating for your child to be intact. I said to not back down, and by that I mean to not give in to a parent that wants to cut the child. My advice was meant to be that it is *okay* to not give in. I took her words at face value, if she didn't mean that being insistent on intactness was unfair, then she'll have to explain what she did mean.

I take MDC's against routine infant circumcision and in that respect, there is only one option. But, it may be one parent's job to do a darn good job of educating so they don't have to get to the point to have to handle it harshly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hck73 View Post

OP, there is still a long way to go until we give birth so my advice to you is to keep trying to let your partner know how important this is to you and try to find out why he is so adamant.  I know there are a lot of men who grew up being told that any other way than circed is unclean but I think there's a lot of information out there to show that that is simply not true.  Good luck with this.  It's hard when you and your partner aren't on the same page.  I hope you can work it out.

 

I completely agree with you here. I got lucky that when I was able to discuss the circumcision issue with my partner before we were married and had kids. If he would not have agreed (either right away or after providing him with information), I would never have married or had children with him. Not everybody has the opportunity to have this discussion beforehand so I feel very fortunate.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
Tofu the Geek is offline  
#25 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 02:38 PM
 
Dlynn918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Philomom...c'mon, that was totally uncalled for. WE do not endorse trashing other moms either. New or not. Suzy Q is isn't endorsing circumcision. In fact she came clean with a subject she knew would insight a riot and that took guts. She has a valid reason for her choices. Many of us here have been in similar situations, however, we choose to have civilized conversations with our spouses rather than attacking on a passionate subject. Like Hck73 says...ya catch more bees with honey. Sheesh. Like I tell my children, its okay to have have your own opinions and feelings, but its not okay to react with hostility. I don't like to see this here. Play nice please.


And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
Dlynn918 is offline  
#26 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 02:55 PM
 
Dlynn918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hck73 View Post




This was so hard to read because we went through a very similar experience last year when my son was 6.  His issue was a bit different in that it was his frenulum that was too tight.  The options were to circ and be done w/ it or cut the frenulum and have to keep retracting it every day to make sure it didn't grow back (or some such thing - I've kind of blocked it out, it makes me so sad).  We opted for the circ because we thought it would end up being the least amount of pain.  We can never know if it was the right choice or not but it worked out ok.  He's fine.  But I still hate that he had to go through that.  Which, of course, leaves me in a terrible quandary w/ this baby who *is* a boy.  My instinct is to leave him be but I can't find any info on stats of this condition or if it's hereditary or what.  Not looking to be "convinced" by anyone, BTW.  Just wanted to thank you, Dlynn, for sharing because I know how hard that is. 

 

Thanks so much, I was a little concerned that this would open a huge can of worms. However I can see that was already taken care of...eesh. I don't know about you but I didn't come on here to argue, but get the support of other moms. Ive said it before, but Ill say it again, we all live different lives and are faced with different challenges. We can't all make the same decision. The important part is to make informed decisions that work for your family. No one here is badmouthing leaving our children intact, so I think a little respect is due.


And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
Dlynn918 is offline  
#27 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Administrator
 
cynthia mosher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Arabia!
Posts: 38,935
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

The rudeness and sarcastic comments must stop. Please post respectfully to exchange opinions and give advice or you will lose your posting privileges. 

 

If you have posted in a rude or negatively sarcastic way please edit your post. If you're not sure about your post but think it might be rude or disrespectful, please edit. 

 

Rainbow.gif

Dlynn918 likes this.

cynthia mosher is online now  
#28 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 04:15 PM
 
hck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: central MA
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu the Geek View Post

See, I think there was a misunderstanding.


I take MDC's against routine infant circumcision and in that respect, there is only one option. But, it may be one parent's job to do a darn good job of educating so they don't have to get to the point to have to handle it harshly.


I completely agree with you here. I got lucky that when I was able to discuss the circumcision issue with my partner before we were married and had kids. If he would not have agreed (either right away or after providing him with information), I would never have married or had children with him. Not everybody has the opportunity to have this discussion beforehand so I feel very fortunate.

So we are saying the same thing after all :)  I get it - it's a heated topic.  I just hate when we (women) judge each other instead of banding together.  Things can also sound a lot more curt over the internet. This isn't a hot button issue in my marriage, thankfully, but I'd like to think if it were we'd somehow be able to talk it out and come to a decision.  And I really hope the OP and her partner can, too.  Of course, the ball is really in his court (as far as being open to discussion) so I wish her all the luck.
 

 

hck73 is offline  
#29 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 04:17 PM
 
hck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: central MA
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post


 

Thanks so much, I was a little concerned that this would open a huge can of worms. However I can see that was already taken care of...eesh. I don't know about you but I didn't come on here to argue, but get the support of other moms. Ive said it before, but Ill say it again, we all live different lives and are faced with different challenges. We can't all make the same decision. The important part is to make informed decisions that work for your family. No one here is badmouthing leaving our children intact, so I think a little respect is due.


I think it's inevitable on this topic :/  I very nearly didn't say anything because, well, it's my son's body and really his business.  But I really needed to applaud your post.  It's a really difficult decision to have to make :(

 

hck73 is offline  
#30 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
 
librarymommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, I didn't expect all that!

There is some valuable info to think about however. My dh is known for being very stubborn, but I'm wondering if showing him a video may help. Where may I find one? Also, I'm going to contact our insurance to see if it is a covered surgery. Financial pressure may do the trick where emotional/rational will not.

Of course, if it is a girl, there are no worries! Wish me luck...

librarymommy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off