where are you getting your name ideas from? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-06-2011, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i'm having a really hard time this time around.  i know i still have plenty of time, but since we don't find out the gender, this is my little thing.  anyone have suggestions?

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

#2 of 18 Old 05-06-2011, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Is there a certain type of name you like? If you can narrow it down, then you can surf sites with those particular name types.  Like, do you love the sound of Hawaiian names? Or Japanese? Or Welsh? Greek gods? Nature names?

My all time personal favorites are Tolkien names, and Welsh. I can get lost surfing Tolkien & Welsh name sites forever, plus a little Hawaiian on the side.  ;)  I jot down whole names & name parts that I love. Then I play around with all the name parts, rearranging them until I put together names my husband & I both love. :)

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#3 of 18 Old 05-06-2011, 01:42 PM

i've been using babynames. com and nymbler.  nymbler is cool because if you put in a few names that you like, it will make suggestions of other ones you might like.  it's pretty cool.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#4 of 18 Old 05-06-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

well, my two kiddies are avery and linus.  our last name is irish, so i'd like to do something super irish and not that common, but not with a weird spelling.  also something with 5 letters is preferable bc my other two have 5 letter names and i'm a little neurotic like that.  i didn't intend for it to work out that way, but it did and now i feel something else would just be "wrong", lol!!

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

#5 of 18 Old 05-06-2011, 06:00 PM

We have no clue as far as names- we have a couple books but nothing has stood out to us yet. I'll check out the websites suggested because I'm clueless this time!

#6 of 18 Old 05-06-2011, 06:23 PM

We got ideas the first time around by taking a walk in a cemetery! 

#7 of 18 Old 05-06-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonifer View Post

wow, never thought of that!  a good idea!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#8 of 18 Old 05-06-2011, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Most of my children were the names of other little children I had known. I just thought the names were cool. I am not sure how my dh picks names. I think he picks them based on someone he knew as a little kid. I do not like his names at all.

#9 of 18 Old 05-06-2011, 09:45 PM

We really like the Baby Name Wizard book. It has enough names that you'll find one you like, but not enough to make your eyes glaze over. And each listing has great information like popularity over time, and "brother" and "sister" names.

Jess, mama to DD1 (6-26-09) and DD2 (9-29-11) 

#10 of 18 Old 05-07-2011, 05:51 AM

Nameberry.com is also a great site, we actually picked our son's name (phineas) from one of their books. they have tons of lists and even forums where you can ask for opinions and get help on first and middle names!

#11 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 AM

thanks for all the great suggestions! I really struggle with names, our 1st daughter we named after we left the hospital, much to the staffs dismay. I don't want to do that this time, it was too stressful to pick a name while all the other new changes were happening.

I am getting on these suggetions asap!

#12 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 11:28 AM

My over-eager friend who calls my partner at work to tell him her ideas? Maybe I could sic her on you ;)

#13 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
ddcc to say that we looked at our family tree. Each child has a first name and middle name from either side of the family.

First baby my grandma's name and his grandma's name is the middle name

second baby his great uncle as first name and my great uncle for middle name.

Both families love the names of the dead ancestors coming around again and feel good about it.
#14 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonifer View Post

Us, too!

#15 of 18 Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 AM

Hahahahaha! We get our fair share of those helpful suggestions. So awkward, how many ways are there to politely say, "yikes!"

#16 of 18 Old 05-10-2011, 10:14 AM

I love these ideas! My DH just found some website that had a bagillion names on it and started yelling out ones he liked to me. He's WAY pickier than I am so it worked out well. They were listed alphabetically, and for each letter he'd yell out maybe 3 names tops so it wasn't too bad. We had already picked a girl's name together but we couldn't agree on a boy's name yet. Figures we ended up agreeing on a boy's name that started with an "A" (Austin) after going through the whole alphabet! But I feel better knowing that we have a name for the baby whether it's a boy or a girl. Middle names are a different story though...

#17 of 18 Old 05-10-2011, 04:23 PM

I read the birth announcements in the paper every Saturday.  This gives me a sense of which names are really popular as well.  This sounds a bit morbid but I also really enjoy the obituaries (though not so much for baby name ideas).  The outpouring of love for those that have passed away moves me to tears.

#18 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Our two oldest are from the family tree. William and Friederich. Our third, Reuben, is from the meaning. Everyone was sure he was a girl, so "Behold, a son" seemed like a good meaning for his name. We have a girl name picked out for this one so far, and it's by the meaning and a family name. My grandma was Evelyn, and we're thinking of Evie Quinn. It means 5th life, and seems a good way to remember our little one we lost last May. This will be our 5th little life we've had together so far. If it's a boy... We are thinking of Quincy for a first or middle name for the same reason. It means 5th.

Wife to the greatest guy, and mommy to six handsome and fun boys!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page