weight gain for underweight women - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-14-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I gained a little weight to get pregnant but was still considered 'underweight' on the BMI chart (103 and 5'3")  Im 24 weeks along and have gained 10 pounds - I feel great and no concerns with growth, etc.  How much 'weight" do you put in the reccomendation that underweight women gain 28-40 pounds?  I just listen to my body. eat a lot of good food, and hope the weight will go where it needs to be...OThers in a similar situation?

#2 of 17 Old 05-14-2011, 11:36 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

DDCC to say I've been there!  With my first I worked really hard at gaining a few pounds before I got pregnant- making it to 104 pounds (I'm 5'4").  I gained a total of 26 pounds with that pregnancy and actually lost 2 pounds in the last couple of weeks.  With my second, I was 99 pounds when I got pregnant and gained 22 pounds total.

Both times, my mw's were concerned about my weight gain and fundal height.  Both times I had to make food diaries and both times I nearly had to have growth sonos.  But, both my babies were healthy, weighing in at 7lb1oz and 8lb2oz.  Everyone grows babies differently.

So I don't put much stock into the recommended weight gain or, for that matter, the recommended fundal height progression.  As long as everything else appears to be fine, I would do exactly as you are doing- follow your body's cues, trust in your body, AND stand up for yourself if you get bullied by your care provider.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 17 Old 05-14-2011, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

thank you!  It sounds like you are in a very similar boat- I was 89 pounds before trying really hard to put on enough to get pregnant this time around.. My midwives and former OB were actually very relaxed about my weight as my fundal height and baby's growth was on track- my daughter was only 6 lbs but very healthy at birth.  

#4 of 17 Old 05-14-2011, 05:19 PM

I was 105 (I'm between 5'6" and 5'7") and Ive gained 30 lbs so far BUT my midwife is concerned that Ive gained too much weight, so go figure. I don't put a lot of stock in pregnancy weight gain. You may gain a lot at the end, or not gain much at all. As long as you're eating right and not smoking etc, I don't think you should worry.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#5 of 17 Old 05-14-2011, 06:15 PM

I was normal weight to begin with and I usually gain like 60-70 lbs when pregnant ( a lot I know!!!) and my babies have been 6.7 lbs and 6.12 lbs at 37 and 38 weeks respectively. If I paid attention to what the "recommended" gains are I would have been freaking out about having a huge baby! I think it's kind of silly to be honest. Everyone's body responds differently, and as long as you're eating enough and getting enough protein you should be fine.

Oh and the nurses said my kiddos would have been like 8 lbs at full term, totally normal size!

#6 of 17 Old 05-15-2011, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

SO true- great to hear so many different stories.  i did wonder if I had "caused' my daughter to be 6lbs since i only gained 15 lbs my first pregnancy.  My current midwife says a 6 lb baby is probably just right for my body structure/size.  So i can relax and eat and not try to force feed myself :)

#7 of 17 Old 05-15-2011, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've gained 50 pounds each in my previous 3 pregnancies.  Starting out each at around 120-130 at 5'7'.  My babies were 7# 8 oz, 8# 1oz, and 8# 8oz.  This is the first time I didn't get back to my prepreg rate.  I started out at 160 and have only gained 15 pounds so far.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#8 of 17 Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 PM

I am in a similar situation. I am 5'10" and started around 125, which is low for me, I wasn't planning to get pregnant and had been sick a lot in the previous months. So anyway...at this point I think I have gained about 12 and I feel really good, like you. I have been a lot more passionate about food lately so the weight gain is picking up; I'm just listening to my body and trying (trying!!) to make good choices. In my last pregnancy I started at about 130 and gained around 35 total. That is what I'm aiming for this time as well - that seemed like a good amount to nurture my body and the baby and I felt really strong and mobile in labor.

and PS I don't think that for me personally the size of my babies is related to my weight gain, I just have big babies..I am really tall and my husband is very thick/muscular. My son was born 9,15 at 40 weeks and my daughter was 8,1 at 38 weeks. I gained about 15 lbs more with my son.

#9 of 17 Old 05-17-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

SO true- great to hear so many different stories.  i did wonder if I had "caused' my daughter to be 6lbs since i only gained 15 lbs my first pregnancy.  My current midwife says a 6 lb baby is probably just right for my body structure/size.  So i can relax and eat and not try to force feed myself :)

6 lbs is a perfectly wonderful(and healthy) weight for a baby!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#10 of 17 Old 05-18-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

thank you - i think the body just knows- and my husband and I are both on the small side..

#11 of 17 Old 05-21-2011, 11:32 AM

Yes, and I bet if you asked around you'd find as I have that most women (barring GD or other complications) produce babies that are about an average of her birth weight and her partner's birth weight.  This was true for my first and my second was a week later and a pound bigger.  Gestation time certainly matters, but weight gain... not so much.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#12 of 17 Old 05-21-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting- what do you man by 'gestation time matters"  - in what way?  Curious....

#13 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 07:48 AM

It's just been my experience that the longer a baby gestates the heavier they tend to get.  Like all things biological, it certainly isn't always true.  But, as an example, my dd was born at 38 weeks and was 7lb1oz and my ds was born at 39 weeks and was 8lb2oz.  And just from all the other babies in my life that I hear about, those that gestated to 41 or 42 weeks tended to be larger babies- 9lbs, 10lbs.  "They" say that babies tend to gain about a pound a week toward the end so it makes sense to me that generally the longer a baby stays in, the more it will weigh.

#14 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Another lesson for me i shouldn't respond at night when Im tired- it made sense what you originally wrote once I was rested :)!!!  

#15 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 11:59 AM

lol.gif  We've all been there!  No worries!

#16 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

:)- another reason i find mothering a supportive and safe environment to share :)

#17 of 17 Old 05-30-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

I am 26 weeks and only 5 pounds short of my total weight gain with DD!  People are asking if im going to have the baby soon - and people who knew me before say im as big now as at the end with DD.  I feel GOOD!!!!!  I think I might make the 20 pound gain goal I set in my head- that would be cool ;)  Ive only gained 11 pounds- ish but i guess that looks like a lot on my frame :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page