~*Chat Thread for May 30th - June 5th*~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Happy Memorial Day!!!  I'm of course not doing anything fun, but that's ok, I'm getting lots done. 

It was really cool, on the way to drop my ds off with Granny I kept getting these jolts from the little one, it was almost painful.  I was like what is she doing in there.  I got to my MIL's and sat down and figured out that it was a familiar sensation, it has just been a long time and seems more pronounced at this stage maybe because my uterus is still small, but I was feeling hiccups.  My ds even got to feel it.  Way cool.  I can't believe I've hit the stage where I'm feeling them already.  Seems like yesterday I was waiting to feel the baby every day. joy.gif

Anyway, hope you all are having a great weekend.  We may be going over to the neighbors later to grill out.  Yum!!

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 05-30-2011, 03:07 PM

Hippity Hoppity!  Hope everyone is having a good long weekend, or at least as good a Monday as possible!

It seems like we had a very accelerated Spring around here... early May we were still running the wood stove and we even had flurries.  Then for about two weeks it would be in the 60s during the day but drop back into the low 40s at night with heavy frosts.  This week has been all thunder storms and hail and random wackiness and now, according to the weather report, we're looking at a week of highs in the upper 80s/low 90s with overnight temps in the high 60s/low 70s.  Usually spring is much more drawn out and gradual, this year it feels more like someone corked the bottle of weather, shook it up, and we're now getting sprayed with concentrated weather!  LOL

I have to admit I'm not a fan of mud and may flies, but I'm not a big fan of hot humid weather either so I'm missing my "late spring/early summer" experience.  I guess I'll find the kiddie pool and set it up in the side yard, and try yet again to figure out a cure for mosquitos!

We have a super busy weekend and have gotten a lot done... not nearly as much as we hoped, but still a lot.  We're building an addition on our house and put down the floor in what will be the girls' room (we poured the foundation for this addition when I was pregnant with ds so this is taking a looooooong while).  We also built the IKEA low bunk bed for that room and rearranged the furniture in the house so that the two cabinets that will eventually act as "closets" for the girls are empty... and the huge bookcase that had been holding construction crud in the room got cleared off, cleaned, and moved out to take over the job of book storage that the cabinets were no longer managing.

We're also building a bigger chicken coop since our flock is more than doubling.  We're actually building a huge shed that will be part coop and part storage for lawn tools, equipment, that sort of stuff.  We hoped to finish it this weekend but the humidity knocked the drying time for the waterproofing through the roof... but DH is outside right now working on the framing.  Tomorrow he'll bring home siding and get that up after work and the next day the roof... so it'll be this week even if it's not this weekend.  It's just frustrating since we have so much to do and I'm starting to feel the first nesting urges!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#3 of 24 Old 05-30-2011, 04:14 PM

Having a relaxing, mildly boring day today... OK with me! My dh is working, and staying late to collect some holiday pay overtimethumb.gifThe kids and i went to a friends this morning for a little playtime and Memorial Day crafting.. the kids made cute hand print signs that said "Giving the troops a hand!" and my friend will mail them off to her brother in law in the Air Force overseas.  My little Alice has been kicking all morning, dancing, maybe having a little parade, who knows !

treehugger.gif

#4 of 24 Old 05-31-2011, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Wombatclay - sounds like your getting a lot done.  That is exciting.  Yes, the weather is really crazy hot here too.  It's supposed to be in the 90's today.  I'm liking the humidity though, I know I'm weird, but its better than the opposite that I had in CA.  Hot and dry, ick.  The weather here at least is predicted to be a hot summer.

We actually ended up at my IL's last night and grilled out.  Yum. 

I'm still dreaming of my homebirth.  My dh didn't get the job he interviewed for and he didn't qualify for unemployment, but if he does get a job making more than what I can keep medicaid a homebirth might be less than the deductible for insurance through his work and that is if he got insurance right away if he got a job.  So a homebirth might be still in the game because really I'm not looking forward to driving 40 minutes to the hospital in labor because it is the one hospital my OB attends moms.  irked.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#5 of 24 Old 05-31-2011, 12:36 PM

Hi all!  Our Memorial Day weekend was pretty busy with trying to do stuff around the house and going to a few cook outs.  I now have a new-found love for grilled eggplant and zuchinni quiche. 

Cathy -  So sorry to hear about your husband's job situation... but my fingersx.gif that the homebirth will work out for you!! 

Wombat - Wow, sounds like y'all have a lot going on, and a lot of construction!  Good luck with all of that, and with the nesting - so much fun.

punkymommy - Yay for baby parades - I felt like that's what my little one was doing this morning. I love it!

Not much else going on.  I'm trying to find some good resources about natural birth (i.e. unmedicated) - anyone got any suggestions on books, websites, etc.?

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#6 of 24 Old 05-31-2011, 12:44 PM

ugh... labor driving sucks.  I hope a job comes through for you!

I actually avoided labor driving last time... I live about an hour from the hospital and the plan was to get a hotel room near the hospital.  I could labor there a bit, my MIL would stay there to watch our other kiddos while Dh and I were at the hospital, and after the birth DH could easily go back and forth from the hospital to the other kiddos.  In the end, I saw my providers on a Friday and they basically said "you're having the baby today... either you're in labor at 3pm or you're having an AROM induction at 3pm".... it totally freaked me out, we got a hotel room, and when I checked in with the midwives at 3pm a new midwife was on call and she told me to go home and come back tomorrow if nothing had happened by then... we stayed at the hotel that night, labor started around 10pm, and ds arrived around 2am so it all worked out.  But I'm not counting on that this time round!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#7 of 24 Old 05-31-2011, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

ugh... labor driving sucks.  I hope a job comes through for you!

I actually avoided labor driving last time... I live about an hour from the hospital and the plan was to get a hotel room near the hospital.  I could labor there a bit, my MIL would stay there to watch our other kiddos while Dh and I were at the hospital, and after the birth DH could easily go back and forth from the hospital to the other kiddos.  In the end, I saw my providers on a Friday and they basically said "you're having the baby today... either you're in labor at 3pm or you're having an AROM induction at 3pm".... it totally freaked me out, we got a hotel room, and when I checked in with the midwives at 3pm a new midwife was on call and she told me to go home and come back tomorrow if nothing had happened by then... we stayed at the hotel that night, labor started around 10pm, and ds arrived around 2am so it all worked out.  But I'm not counting on that this time round!

Yeah, that was perfect timing for you.  I just want this homebirth to come to fruition and I'll be a happy mama. 

Valerie - Birthing from Within, Having a Baby Naturally, and Gentle Birth Choices.  Those are on my book shelf.

#8 of 24 Old 05-31-2011, 11:19 PM

I've been MIA.  Just working lots, son's tee ball games, and just plain tired.  Feeling fabulous and all that jazz, just tired.  About to go to bed now...

But exciting news- Found out my fetus has a penis!  WOOT!  So we're having a Matthew Evan in Sept/Oct!  <3

248007_2109977435666_1432518943_2507117_2431261_n.jpg

246764_2109973475567_1432518943_2507108_7575267_n.jpg
252899_2109974275587_1432518943_2507110_545791_n.jpg
249824_2109974795600_1432518943_2507112_1475996_n.jpg

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#9 of 24 Old 06-01-2011, 05:15 AM

Cathy - Thanks for the book suggestions!  I think I'll have to see if my local library has any of them... I'm going to go broke at buying books.  ;)

NDFanatik - Congrats on your little boy!!!! 

#10 of 24 Old 06-01-2011, 08:56 AM

I ordered a couple of ina may's books, just impatiently awaiting their arrival!!  :D  lol 

Congrats on the boy NDF!!

Cathy -sorry to hear your dh didn't get that job, hopefully something jumps out soon for him and you get that home birth!!  I had to drive 1 hr while in labour both times!!  It isn't fun.  

This pregnancy appears to be flying by!  Just about 25 weeks already, I can't believe it!!  OH I have a pedicure today!!  I got a gift certificate for christmas and have been waiting for the sun to show up before going to have it done!  This will be my second pedicure, but first one while pregnant!  So excited, just have to sit through 4 hours of boring ol' training before I go for my pedi :D

Liz 27 - Happily married for 8 years! Mom to three awesome boys ages 7 and 6 and 1

#11 of 24 Old 06-01-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFanatik View Post

I've been MIA.  Just working lots, son's tee ball games, and just plain tired.  Feeling fabulous and all that jazz, just tired.  About to go to bed now...

But exciting news- Found out my fetus has a penis!  WOOT!  So we're having a Matthew Evan in Sept/Oct!  <3

248007_2109977435666_1432518943_2507117_2431261_n.jpg

Congrats!  That's exciting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValH View Post

Cathy - Thanks for the book suggestions!  I think I'll have to see if my local library has any of them... I'm going to go broke at buying books.  ;)

NDFanatik - Congrats on your little boy!!!! 

No problem, yeah, I usually go to the library for most books nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingBaby View Post

I ordered a couple of ina may's books, just impatiently awaiting their arrival!!  :D  lol 

Congrats on the boy NDF!!

Cathy -sorry to hear your dh didn't get that job, hopefully something jumps out soon for him and you get that home birth!!  I had to drive 1 hr while in labour both times!!  It isn't fun.  

This pregnancy appears to be flying by!  Just about 25 weeks already, I can't believe it!!  OH I have a pedicure today!!  I got a gift certificate for christmas and have been waiting for the sun to show up before going to have it done!  This will be my second pedicure, but first one while pregnant!  So excited, just have to sit through 4 hours of boring ol' training before I go for my pedi :D

Sounds like you'll deserve it by the time you get your pedi.  Have fun!!

#12 of 24 Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Congrats on the baby boy!  What fun!

Didn't mean to make my midwives out to sound all horrible... that freak out conversation happened at 42 weeks and the hospital they use has a 41 week limit on vbacs so they'd already gone as far out on a limb as they could.  Hopefully this time it wont come to that...

A pedi would be so much fun!  Glad you got a break and a goody just for you.  :)  I painted my kiddos' toes the other day and they adore it... my ds too.  He keeps trying to show people his toes!

The weather might cool off a bit later this week so I have hopes of a "not too horrible" couple of days.  LOL  I did kill as much time as possible at Target with the younger two after dropping dd1 off at preschool though.  We wandered the a/c aisles as long as I could stand it.  DD2 turns 4 on June 8th and we have our big local festival this weekend as well so it should be a lot of fun.  I was a slacker and had to pay for shipping from Amazon on dd2's gifts (hard to shop with her there, so Amazon was a life saver)... she is really into mermaids right now (and the festival this weekend will have a Midsummer's Night theme which is nearly as good since there will be face paint and fairies) so we'll celebrate with ice cream at the festival, dance to some music, open her gifts (a groovy girl mermaid doll and a water bottle with mermaids on it), and have a good time.  Especially if it really is just 70 degrees the way they predict!  We may also march in the festival parade... I dunno.  The kiddos want to and there are plenty of groups/floats we can choose from (LLL, ICAN, Breastfeeding Means Business, funschooling, the library, etc) but the route is a mile or so and I don't know if I can manage it!  I did march one year with dd2 in a sling and dd1 holding a LLL banner and it was fun, so I don't know what we'll do...

#13 of 24 Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The weather might cool off a bit later this week so I have hopes of a "not too horrible" couple of days.  LOL  I did kill as much time as possible at Target with the younger two after dropping dd1 off at preschool though.  We wandered the a/c aisles as long as I could stand it.  DD2 turns 4 on June 8th and we have our big local festival this weekend as well so it should be a lot of fun.  I was a slacker and had to pay for shipping from Amazon on dd2's gifts (hard to shop with her there, so Amazon was a life saver)... she is really into mermaids right now (and the festival this weekend will have a Midsummer's Night theme which is nearly as good since there will be face paint and fairies) so we'll celebrate with ice cream at the festival, dance to some music, open her gifts (a groovy girl mermaid doll and a water bottle with mermaids on it), and have a good time.  Especially if it really is just 70 degrees the way they predict!  We may also march in the festival parade... I dunno.  The kiddos want to and there are plenty of groups/floats we can choose from (LLL, ICAN, Breastfeeding Means Business, funschooling, the library, etc) but the route is a mile or so and I don't know if I can manage it!  I did march one year with dd2 in a sling and dd1 holding a LLL banner and it was fun, so I don't know what we'll do...

That sounds fun.  There is a local Renaissance fair here.  That reminds me I need to make fairy wings for my ds.  He wanted to buy them last year, but they were expensive.  It's a fun place to dress up.

My dh is applying for a job in CO, which is in his field and it pays 6 figures.  I want that.  lol.gif  We'd definitely be able to afford a homebirth then, but that means he'd move before we did.  MIL is making sure my dh doesn't move me before the birth.lol.gif  I can dream. orngbiggrin.gif

#14 of 24 Old 06-01-2011, 01:11 PM

Liz - I've seen some of the Ina May books referenced elsewhere.  You'll have to let me know what you think of them.  Enjoy your pedi!!

Wombat - Have fun at the festival!  I hope the weather cooperates and cools off for you.  It's scorching hot here.

Cathy - I think the six figure job would be worth moving for!  You could definitely afford your homebirth, and whatever else you wanted, for that pay range.  :)

So I've been kind of freaking out today.  Yesterday, my little munchkin was so active, moving all the time.  Today, not so much.  I've barely noticed movement at all today, and surely none of the big movements like yesterday.  I have been extraordinarily busy with work today, so I haven't really stopped all day - that might explain part of my not noticing.  But still, I just feel like I've been having a lot more movement than this usually.  I just had some juice and almonds, and he seemed to perk up a little, but it's still just not the same.  I keep telling myself that there can't be a parade in my uterus everyday, and he needs to rest and sleep too... but it's only moderately making me feel better.  What do y'all think?  Is there a reason to be concerned, or am I just being paranoid? 

#15 of 24 Old 06-01-2011, 02:11 PM

my glucose test (gestational diabetes) came back normal!!! *happy dance* i had to do the 2 hour with ds1 and the THREE hour (i fainted) with ds2 (ordered by OB-no idea why. i passed them both) and this time my family doc had me do a 1 hour! thank goodness for my family doc. i'm so happy about this. i didn't want to go back for a 2 hour (they told me they don't do 3 hour tests anymore.)

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#16 of 24 Old 06-01-2011, 02:21 PM

you'd be surprised how fast a 45 min drive can be! we're 45 (by choice-there's a hospital 20 mins away but i like mine better) from our hospital too!

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#17 of 24 Old 06-01-2011, 03:29 PM

Congratulations NDFanatik!

tjjazzy- Great news :) I dread that glucose test. I have mine in 2 weeks. Ugh! I had to do a 3 hr with my first, it was terrible.

ValH- I've had some days like that too, where it seems that my LO hasn't moved as much as the day before... but then the next day she's back at it. I figure her sleep cycle is just different than mine, and some days she's busier growing... makes sense to me at least! I definitely have the same paranoia happen, but it's all fine the next day :) Let us know!~

It's a nice, mild (90ish) overcast day here in Phoenix, going to go take advantage of the kids playing dollhouse nicely & put my feet up to let my feet swelling subside!

treehugger.gif

#18 of 24 Old 06-02-2011, 05:06 AM

tjjazzy - Yay for passing the test!

punkymommy - Thanks for the reassurance!  I'm already feeling some bigger movements this morning, so I feel better about it.  I have a checkup this afternoon, so I'm sure I'll feel even better after I can hear his heartbeat again.  Hope you were able to put your feet up and relax some! 

So yesterday I had a relapse of the first trimester exhaustion.  I was so busy I barely sat down yesterday and didn't get home until after 8.  I was so tired, I could barely eat, and I fell asleep on the couch around 9:30.  I hadn't been that tired in months.  Hopefully today will be better!

#19 of 24 Old 06-02-2011, 09:44 AM

Six figures /and/ Colorado?  I hope he gets it!  That sounds dreamy...

Ren Faires- love them.  :)  One of my friends is a musician and she travels all over the country performing at faires.  During "the season" we never see her, but her FB is always interesting.  She often brings her dd along these days (her dd is 4) while her partner works a "regular" job here in town.  We haven't done many faires since the kiddos started adding up though (our local ren faires don't offer a family rate and even the half price children's rate adds up fast) but we do belong to the SCA and most of those events /do/ have a family cap (so it might be 5 dollars per person, under 6 free, maximum entrance fee per family 20 dollars).  It's a good option for people who enjoy the medieval outing experience but it's true that SCA demos/events aren't as flashy as Ren Faires... they have more classes and crafts, and there is fighting/archery/dancing but they don't have the skits and shows and miles of yummy food vendors, and there is usually less in the way of youth entertainment (no professional jugglers or hair braiding stalls or face painting).  We've been trying to get to more festivals and events (not just SCA but also SteamPunk and Faerie and BrownCoat) but this pregnancy tossed a wrench in the works a bit.  Next year though!

fairy wings- what sort does he like?  There are some great youtube tutorials for the wire coat hanger/stocking variety and some nice patterns in the craft forum here for the soft "waldorf style" drapped wings.

Yay for good glucose!  I need to take my test next week and I've misplaced the paperwork.  Ugh.  With the providers I had with dd1 and dd2 I was given the glucola and told to drink it before going to the lab so there was no sitting around waiting.  With ds and now this time I have to go to the hospital and drink it in the lab waiting room, then sit there for an hour before the draw.  Argh!  I understand that the hospital wants to control the test conditions, and it makes sense, but it's still annoying.  Children aren't allowed in phlebotomy there so I'll have to ask DH to take the time off from work to watch the kiddos at the hospital.  Here's hoping I find the paperwork and pass the test!  (I have big babies and without a clean test the hospital assumes blood sugar problems in big babes so if I don't take the test, and pass, the pressure will be on to do roughly 6 sequential blood draws on the babe during the first 24 hours)

#20 of 24 Old 06-02-2011, 02:25 PM

best of luck, wombatclay!!! my second was a big baby (9 pounds 3 ounces) and they kept a close watch on him for 24 hours or whatever it was too.

i worry constantly about my LO's movement! sometimes she seems so lazy (ds1 was like that too) and i get terrified something is wrong! then she'll eventually start knocking around in there and i breathe a sigh of relief.

#21 of 24 Old 06-02-2011, 06:03 PM

Ugh, i have to go do the glucose test too.  i've had the requisition for a month now, but keep putting it off. 

Had a prenatal appointment today--I've now officially met all of the people that might possibly be delivering my baby.  It will be one of 4 doctors, but really 3, since one of them is due to have her own baby about a month before me.  So far I like all of them, so that's a good thing.

Had been so amazed that I had only gained 10 lbs during this pregnancy at my last appointment...well, today I got knocked off my high horse when I found that I have gained 11 FREAKIN POUNDS in the past month alone.  i'm still smaller than previous pregnancies, but wow.  that was a shock lol.

Funny...I always do this.  I always forget that I need to pee in a cup when I get there, and I always end up going pee right before I leave.  I guess it's just a habit these days, to "go" before I go! 

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#22 of 24 Old 06-04-2011, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Six figures /and/ Colorado?  I hope he gets it!  That sounds dreamy...

Ren Faires- love them.  :)  One of my friends is a musician and she travels all over the country performing at faires.  During "the season" we never see her, but her FB is always interesting.  She often brings her dd along these days (her dd is 4) while her partner works a "regular" job here in town.  We haven't done many faires since the kiddos started adding up though (our local ren faires don't offer a family rate and even the half price children's rate adds up fast) but we do belong to the SCA and most of those events /do/ have a family cap (so it might be 5 dollars per person, under 6 free, maximum entrance fee per family 20 dollars).  It's a good option for people who enjoy the medieval outing experience but it's true that SCA demos/events aren't as flashy as Ren Faires... they have more classes and crafts, and there is fighting/archery/dancing but they don't have the skits and shows and miles of yummy food vendors, and there is usually less in the way of youth entertainment (no professional jugglers or hair braiding stalls or face painting).  We've been trying to get to more festivals and events (not just SCA but also SteamPunk and Faerie and BrownCoat) but this pregnancy tossed a wrench in the works a bit.  Next year though!

fairy wings- what sort does he like?  There are some great youtube tutorials for the wire coat hanger/stocking variety and some nice patterns in the craft forum here for the soft "waldorf style" drapped wings.

Yeah, that would be expensive for everyone to go to the Ren faire.  Thank you for the wing recommendations.  I have a whole bag of hangers so that is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareimer View Post

Had a prenatal appointment today--I've now officially met all of the people that might possibly be delivering my baby.  It will be one of 4 doctors, but really 3, since one of them is due to have her own baby about a month before me.  So far I like all of them, so that's a good thing.

Had been so amazed that I had only gained 10 lbs during this pregnancy at my last appointment...well, today I got knocked off my high horse when I found that I have gained 11 FREAKIN POUNDS in the past month alone.  i'm still smaller than previous pregnancies, but wow.  that was a shock lol.

Funny...I always do this.  I always forget that I need to pee in a cup when I get there, and I always end up going pee right before I leave.  I guess it's just a habit these days, to "go" before I go! 

That is great that you like all the doctors. 

I'm hoping since I stopped drinking milk my weight has slowed down enough for my OB to not complain this time.  It seems like it has slowed down quite a bit.  I drank some last night just to see what it would do and that is definitely a biggee for making my blood sugar go a little higher than I want it after a meal.  It was weird.  As soon as I drank it I could feel it instantly in my legs.  Weird.  I was like I definitely need to take a walk tonight after dinner.

I know what you mean about peeing before you go.  Luckily my appt. is 35 minutes away and were usually a little early and I usually need to go by the time they need it. 

#23 of 24 Old 06-04-2011, 05:12 PM

wings-

If you have spiffy fabric and/or like to sew try this one.  If you want to go the stocking route, go with this one.  And for absolute FAVORITE how to visual guide, try Emilie Autumn's segment from Crafters Coast to Coast here.  She's a really interesting musician too, with a style that tends to be a bit goth/dark, so watching her make super sparkle wings really amuses me!

#24 of 24 Old 06-05-2011, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

wings-

If you have spiffy fabric and/or like to sew try this one.  If you want to go the stocking route, go with this one.  And for absolute FAVORITE how to visual guide, try Emilie Autumn's segment from Crafters Coast to Coast here.  She's a really interesting musician too, with a style that tends to be a bit goth/dark, so watching her make super sparkle wings really amuses me!

That was a great video.  I'd never seen an electric violin before.  Thanks.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page