Comfortable summer pregnancy shoes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm  looking for a pair of slip-on shoes that have plenty of arch support (no flip-flips).  The trick is I would like them to stay on but not have to bend over redface.gif to fasten them on.  I'm not sure about open or closed toes, probably open since summer is just beginning. 

Any ideas? 

Loving mom to DS (05/08/10) expecting baby #2 in September 2011!

#2 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I found a pair of merrell shoes at goodwill and they are the only thing I've been wearing for a little over a month. They're so comfortable! I actually noticed that I needed to see a chiropractor lees frequently once I started wearing them, too. Mine have velcro straps and closed toes, so they stay on really well but they're made of mesh, so they also breath. I love them to pieces.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en It looks like they have some flip flop type shoes with good support. I know they're spendy, like I said, I found mine at goodwill. But I think they would have been worth the price anyway.

girl reading.gif absolutely in love with boy modifiedartist.gif.  DD loveeyes.gif (11/06) and DS luxlove.gif (08/11), and someone new in July stork-suprise.gif!
#3 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 10:25 AM

OH, I wish I could afford some of those they look oh so comfy.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#4 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I love my crocs.  :)

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#5 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthylady View Post

I love my crocs.  :)

Me too!

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#6 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 06:58 PM

check out dansco clogs, they make awesome sandals with fantastic arch support. There are always Birkinstocks or any cork sole sandal.

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#7 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 07:22 PM

I had an awesome pair of Clark sandals when I was pregnant.  Nice enough to look good "dressed up" but not silly in casual clothes. It was 10 years ago but these are pretty close:

http://www.zappos.com/clarks-latin-samba-black-leather

Clarks are so comfortable!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#8 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 11:09 PM
L J

The only thing I can even think about wearing is Birkenstocks. I need a double-wide, so its not like I have a lot of options, either. I do love me some Crocs, though, if you don't want to drop $100 on a pair of shoes and can deal with the colors.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#9 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 11:47 PM

I wore Birkinstocks through my first pregnancy.... during the winter! My office graciously bent the 'no sandals' rule for me. Now that I'm a SAHM, I'm barefoot 90% of the time, and either in Crocs or Birkinstocks when I leave the house.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#10 of 22 Old 06-07-2011, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I can't do Birkies, but I loved my Dansco clogs, and live in my Crocs. Dansco was the only shoe that felt like it was made for my feet. I should really invest in another pair. The pair I had was from a second hand store and cost $8, and lasted me probably 10 years or so. I just never could imagine spending the $120+ for a new pair, but I know it would be worth it.

Wife to the greatest guy, and mommy to six handsome and fun boys!
#11 of 22 Old 06-07-2011, 08:57 PM

I lived in my Teva flip flops toward the end of my last pregnancy.  Soooo comfy, like no other flip flop could hope to be!   I need a new pair as my last ones are worn out, and they're usually only about $20 I think.

#12 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieMama View Post

I lived in my Teva flip flops toward the end of my last pregnancy.  Soooo comfy, like no other flip flop could hope to be!   I need a new pair as my last ones are worn out, and they're usually only about $20 I think.

Teve "mush" flip flops are my summer shoe of choice! They are so much better than any other flip flop out there and I never feel like my arches hurt or anything in them. They are even more comfy than my uber expensive "Chacco" sandals which people brag they can hike canyons in. An hour in the mall in those and my feet are killing me. I didnt add the Teva flip flops cause the original requester said no-flip-flops....although these babies do deserve their own category cause they are SO awesome! :-)

#13 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 01:58 PM

I can't stand flip flops (or anything between my toes) but I love mules... slip on shoes with an open back but closed toe.  I generally find mine at the thrift store since shoes there are about 5 dollars a pair and 10-15 would be my absolute budget maximum.  LOL

However, my current favorites are a pair of Lands End leather slip on shoes... they have a full back but slide on and off.  And a pair of nameless mules with an inch and a half heel... the brand name is totally worn off so all I know is "made in Sweden".  :)  They're super comfy though and the slight lift actually makes standing/walking more comfortable.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#14 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

Teve "mush" flip flops are my summer shoe of choice! They are so much better than any other flip flop out there and I never feel like my arches hurt or anything in them. They are even more comfy than my uber expensive "Chacco" sandals which people brag they can hike canyons in. An hour in the mall in those and my feet are killing me. I didnt add the Teva flip flops cause the original requester said no-flip-flops....although these babies do deserve their own category cause they are SO awesome! :-)

I only said no flip flips because the ones I've had didn't have any arch support or much cushion at all...although I've never spent more than $7 on a pair!  (No wonder they made my feet hurt walking in them for a prolonged period of time.)  

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Loving mom to DS (05/08/10) expecting baby #2 in September 2011!

#15 of 22 Old 06-10-2011, 07:49 AM

Oh sorry, I somehow totally missed the no flip flops part of your post!  That being said, I might have suggested them anyway with special qualifiers because as another poster said, they actually are very supportive.  They're very thick squishy foamy sort of material that is smooth and flat at first, but quickly molds to the shape of your feet in such a way that they soon become less comfortable for anyone else to borrow, because they're permanently shaped like your feet.  Anyway, good luck choosing a good pair of shoes:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWnewmom View Post

I only said no flip flips because the ones I've had didn't have any arch support or much cushion at all...although I've never spent more than $7 on a pair!  (No wonder they made my feet hurt walking in them for a prolonged period of time.)  

Thanks for all the great ideas!

#16 of 22 Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 AM

I live from May-October in a pair of Chaco Z/1s.  They're expensive, but I've been wearing the same pair for about 9.5 years--I wear them so much that my Chaco-tan-lines don't ever fully go away, even in the middle of a Michigan winter!--and they're still in great shape.  And when they do wear out, I can send them to the company to be re-soled for a fraction of the cost of replacing them.  

#17 of 22 Old 06-10-2011, 12:17 PM

Teva mush flip-flops are all I wear from March to November. thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#18 of 22 Old 06-13-2011, 05:48 PM

I got these Keen (http://www.zappos.com/keen-whisper-sweet-grape-neutral-grey) sandals in May, and I've been living in and loving them. I find them very supportive, and I've got pretty funky feet anyway--they are pronated and in athletic shoes I wear a prescription orthotic. These sandals aren't slip on though--but you just stick your foot in and grab the back to get them on. I like them b/c they have the breathability of the flipflops, only you can walk in them for hours and feel supported like you're in tennis shoes.

#19 of 22 Old 06-15-2011, 03:41 PM

I just ordered these Keen ballet flats: http://www.zappos.com/keen-golden-ballerina-black. and I am super excited to get them in.

I also have these Danskos, but they are too high for me now: http://www.6pm.com/dansko-beth-black-nappa

...and these Keen mary-janes (but, in tan): http://bit.ly/j1Q0VY (I bought them several years ago, so I don't think they sell them anymore though...)

And now you have seen 60% of my shoe wardrobe. biggrinbounce.gif

I also have a pair of flip flops that are cushy that I bought at Ross for about $15, and a pair of heels that I haven't worn since I got pregnant... and that's it. Keeps the closet floor relatively clean and makes the "what shoes should I wear" question in the morning a no-brainer. Incidentally, I also only own about 50 pieces of clothing including bags, shoes and coats (it's part of a minimalist movement thingie that keeps me sane these days with all the excess of baby stuff flowing into the house).

Moo.

#20 of 22 Old 06-15-2011, 05:43 PM

Oh I LOVE Keens! My favorite shoes all time although I end up in my teva mush flip flops more often cause they are so easy to put on! I have 4 pairs of keens and highly recommend them for pregnancy and any time. :-)

#21 of 22 Old 06-29-2011, 06:06 PM

I read this thread a little while ago and it sent me on the search for the ultimate in flip flop comfort, I know, no flip flops but they're so much easier to put on when you can't reach your feet!  I think I found them, they're made from yoga mats and seriously feel like you're walking on foam!  It's great cause they form to your foot as you walk, not sure if they'll form completely over time but so far they haven't.  They're called Sanuk, they're not carried everywhere but you can get them online or search for a local retailer, website is just sanuk.com, or you can google it.  They were a bit expensive, I bought two pairs, one was $50 and one was $60 Canadian, I've only ever spent about $10 on flip flops, but these were SO worth it. 

#22 of 22 Old 06-29-2011, 11:19 PM

i'm with the crocs crew! Love mine and they are cute. Not ALL crocs are as comfy as the next one though. I like these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Womens-Malindi-Flat-Crocs-Sandals-Shoes-size-5-6-7-8-/320720166483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aac695e53#ht_3406wt_1141

I think I even bought them from this person... or maybe someone else, but definitely got them on ebay!

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page