~*Chat Thread for June 6th-12th*~ - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 06-10-2011, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sorry about the heartburn, Cathy, that sounds awful.

I thought cohosh was a big no no in pregnancy? Is that only in some cases?

I haven't been around here much but I was put on temporary bedrest so I thought I'd poke my head in and see what's up here. I had preeclampsia with my other three pregnancies and it's looking like it is rearing its ugly face again... hoping for a good report on Tuesday when I go back for a blood pressure check and some more bloodwork. Until then, I'm on my left side in bed as much as I can be with having three toddlers at home.

#32 of 33 Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 AM

Lexi- You mean the cohosh in the birth prep formulas?  Those are designed to be taken starting around 35 weeks and the dosage is gradually increased as you approach 40 weeks.  And the natural induction techniques (that include things like cohosh and castor oil and EPO) generally come into play around 40 weeks.  But in general you're right... the cohoshes cause uterine contractions, which is why they're used for menstrual irregularities and birth induction.  Taking them during pregnancy could cause problems, especially if you're prone to pre-term labor.  They can also cause extremely strong contractions which (due to the nature of the dosing) can't be "turned off" easily which can be dangerous if you have complications like a prior uterine scar, high blood pressure, or placental abnormalities.

FarmerCathy- maybe some sort of countdown chart/activity?  Something like a Solstice of Advent calendar, only with more days?  Like maybe get three sheets of construction paper (one for each month) or one really big sheet (to cover all three months) and then make 30 flower stems (with an envelope filled with construction paper "flowers" or crayons to draw in a flower), 30 butterflies (with a glue stick to slap them on the bigger picture), and 30 "whatevers" (again with glue stick)... add a flower or butterfly or cloud or squirrel or ray of the sun or whatever to the poster every day with the explaination that once it's done the babe will arrive?  Or a long ribbon with a flag for each day leading up to the birth so a flag can be removed each day?  Or in reverse, with your little one decorating a flag and hanging it on the ribbon each day and once the blank flags are gone the babe will be here?  (which has the added element of creating a neat memory box item for either the babe or the bigger sib).  Our Solstice calendar is felted (my last avatar image was of our Solstice calendar actually) and is Mother Holle holding the sun... all the rays of the sun are folded into the center and each day the kiddos unfold one ray so that by Solstice Mother Holle is holding the new born sun in her arms.  A similar image of a pregnant woman with petals or something over her belly that could be unfolded one day at a time till the mother is revealed, holding a babe, would be neat too though I'm not sure that would work for three months!  A single month of sun rays is pretty bulky (even using really whispy fluffy felt) so 90 would probably be crazy!  But maybe a month of banners, a month of poster stuff, and a month of felted mama chart?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#33 of 33 Old 06-12-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Lexi- You mean the cohosh in the birth prep formulas?  Those are designed to be taken starting around 35 weeks and the dosage is gradually increased as you approach 40 weeks.  And the natural induction techniques (that include things like cohosh and castor oil and EPO) generally come into play around 40 weeks.  But in general you're right... the cohoshes cause uterine contractions, which is why they're used for menstrual irregularities and birth induction.  Taking them during pregnancy could cause problems, especially if you're prone to pre-term labor.  They can also cause extremely strong contractions which (due to the nature of the dosing) can't be "turned off" easily which can be dangerous if you have complications like a prior uterine scar, high blood pressure, or placental abnormalities.

FarmerCathy- maybe some sort of countdown chart/activity?  Something like a Solstice of Advent calendar, only with more days?  Like maybe get three sheets of construction paper (one for each month) or one really big sheet (to cover all three months) and then make 30 flower stems (with an envelope filled with construction paper "flowers" or crayons to draw in a flower), 30 butterflies (with a glue stick to slap them on the bigger picture), and 30 "whatevers" (again with glue stick)... add a flower or butterfly or cloud or squirrel or ray of the sun or whatever to the poster every day with the explaination that once it's done the babe will arrive?  Or a long ribbon with a flag for each day leading up to the birth so a flag can be removed each day?  Or in reverse, with your little one decorating a flag and hanging it on the ribbon each day and once the blank flags are gone the babe will be here?  (which has the added element of creating a neat memory box item for either the babe or the bigger sib).  Our Solstice calendar is felted (my last avatar image was of our Solstice calendar actually) and is Mother Holle holding the sun... all the rays of the sun are folded into the center and each day the kiddos unfold one ray so that by Solstice Mother Holle is holding the new born sun in her arms.  A similar image of a pregnant woman with petals or something over her belly that could be unfolded one day at a time till the mother is revealed, holding a babe, would be neat too though I'm not sure that would work for three months!  A single month of sun rays is pretty bulky (even using really whispy fluffy felt) so 90 would probably be crazy!  But maybe a month of banners, a month of poster stuff, and a month of felted mama chart?

Wombatclay - great ideas, I'm sure with Granny's help we can construct something that will work.thumb.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page