Symphisis Pubis Dysfunction is not fun. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2011, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you so much - I sincerely appreciate your opinion on this and am glad to hear it has really helped you. Your point about the maternity belt is well taken and makes a great deal of sense. I have asked the Dr. to give me a call at home so I can better understand exactly how she addresses SPD and what the actual costs will be, before committing to an appointment. The receptionist wasn't able to give me any of this information.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 07:11 PM

I have this really bad since 28 weeks because of polyhydramnios (severe excess of amnio fluid). It got so bad that my right leg would not work for much more than a supportive peg. I have not been diagnosed with SPD, but I know its what I have. I slept upright in my nursing foam chair for 2 weeks, well, tried to sleep, because it made me almost scream to lay on my side, even with supportive pillows between my legs and boppy pregnancy support pillow and 2 body pillows. I couldnt sit for more than 60 seconds without feeling like the weight of my own body was going to crush my pelvis. I waddled since about 25 weeks. I am currently seeing a chiropractor who specializes in pregnancy and the webster technique every 2-3 weeks to work on my body alignment, and going to resume accupuncture next week with my accupuncturist who specializes in pregnancy and fertility . I have found both have improved symptoms, but not eliminated it. I have found that an electric heating pad is my very very best friend. I carry it around with me everywhere and as a result I have to have the AC cranked up to 70 or else i overheat, but i feel so much better with heat on!

I have had 2 amnio reductions and going for a 3rd on friday. Each time the hip pain is almost completely gone, Im hoping there is no permanent damage after the final reduction (aka birth...).  Im already fantasizing about not being pregnant anymore. I am NOT one of those ladies who have loved being pregnant! Between the 5 months of severe ALL DAY sickness to polyhydramnios causing severe hip pain, this has been the hardest time in my life. I cant wait to have my body back! I used to be an incredibly active person and because Im high risk I can barely even go for a short walk without causing hip pain and contractions. Even swimming gets hard because when my hips are bad, my legs will not kick. It feels like they charley horse up, as if I ran a marathon on them (sorry, had to rant a little...)

Active self employed momma to my amazing son with down syndrome born 8/24/11, wife to the most amazing husband ever, expecting baby #2 on September 5th, 2012, exactly 1 year from my sons original due date. Currently sharing our crazy household with 1 house rabbit, 3 exotic lizards, 1 guinea pig...

Old 08-11-2011, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

I agree totally with Bignerpie! One thing I want to point out is make sure your chiro is trained and certified in the Webster technique/method. Its specifically designed for the pelvis of pregnant women! And its very gentle, none of the abrupt snapping that you might be thinking of when your hear chiro. You will have it done and wonder if she actually did anything until you get up and realize how much better you feel. The first time I had it done I felt like she completely realigned my uterus. Which makes sense cause it is attached to the sacrum.

For me if comes and goes. Sleeping is hard. I try to limit heavy lifting, pushing things with my feet (like a laundry basket for example), I sit when I put my pants on, dont sit cross legged, watch how I get in and out of the car. Its all become second nature. I unfortunately had to quit yoga. I'm still swimming though cause that is the only form of exercise I can handle right now and I refuse to give it up. I find if I swim the breast stroke or do anything with that "frog leg" form it will flare up so Ive learned what to avoid there and still swim. Its finding what aggravates it and avoid it like the plague. Its gotten so much better and I havent worn my belt in a month but when it gets bad, oh man, it makes me a total wreck. I feel like an invalid. Im 34 weeks btw and have been dealing with SPD for probably a good 10-12 weeks. My job didnt help at all, too much physical labor, Im not working now, so that helps, the SPD anyway...not the budget! Take it easy and get to your chiro. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracecody View Post

I am suffering with this and my midwife has strongly recommended seeing a chiro who she has recommended to me - this chiro is female and specializes in pregnancy. I have never been to a chiro and am nervous and concerned about the cost (it is considered out of network and would be applied to my insurance deductible, so it's out of pocket at the discounted rate). Most of my birth costs (homebirth) will also be out of pocket and I'm going on unpaid leave when the baby comes so the $$ is a real consideration in this decision.

I experienced this to some degree in each of my last two pregnancies as well, at about the same point. So I am really not sure if it's an alignment issue or just how my body does pregnancy. I have a Medela support belt and can't say it's been helping.

Just wondering how those of you who have been dealing with this are doing now, and if you are still seeing a chiro or have begun seeing a chiro. My midwife is really concerned that I am feeling as much discomfort as I am, this early (33 weeks) and wants me to do something about it as she's concerned about my lack of mobility. She is huge on exercise. I too would love to be able to walk at least 30 minutes for exercise and haven't been able to do that in many, many weeks. All I can do is water aerobics class which is only twice a week and some of the movements in the class are even starting to bother me.

For those of you who have this but haven't been seeing a chiro, are you doing anything else such as pelvic exercises, and if so, has it helped?

Anyway, just looking for some updates from those of you who are further along and have been taking steps to treat this before I seriously consider shelling out $100 for an initial appointment with a chiro...

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 PM

I didn't feel like a pregnancy belt helped that much...it kind of annoyed me too. I did feel like chiropractic made a big difference (especially the chiropractor who specialized in pregnancy) These tips helped quite a bit as well http://backpainandpregnancy.blogspot.com/2008/09/understanding-pelvic-pain-in-pregnancy.html

User Tag List