Anyone else experiencing B&H contractions lately? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

do you "worry" about the size of the glass and get obsessed with the measuring cup- or wing it?  I wouldnt order a glass of wine out (also because of the looks id get) because Id be too worried they poured a "too big" glass.  I am looking forward to enjoying a glass of wine OUT with a nice dinner...

#32 of 41 Old 07-26-2011, 10:27 AM

Me personally?  No.  Dh and I both come from Italian families, and wine is just part of dinner and has been since we were young.  I'll have wine with dinner because it's a natural part of dinner.  The goal is to have an enjoyable and relaxing meal.  If I found that I was worrying about the wine then it wouldn't be enjoyable/relaxing and I wouldn't have it... just like I might pass up a serving of any other food being offered because it upset my pregnant stomach despite having enjoyed it pre-pregnancy.  I guess it's kind of like the dietary guidelines... you can eyeball your portion (is it a pack of cards? a half fist? a ping pong ball?) or you can pull out a scale and weigh it.  Both are fine, but they probably reflect different priorities/goals on the part of the diner.

And I think most midwives who suggest a glass of wine are suggesting it as a way to help mom relax... to soothe BH contractions, ease worry, help her relax during early labor.  If you find the thought of drinking stressful then the whole point is defeated.  Any muscle relaxation that might be caused by the alcohol content will be countered by the tension caused by your worry!  Like with so many things in parenting, you have to go with your own gut feelings, and your own experiences.  After all, there are NO studies that show what amount of alcohol is "safe" for a developing babe.  Every recommendation, from "not a drop" to "half a glass once a week" to "2-3 glasses a week" or whatever, is just that... a recommendation based on the best information available at the time.  And as the information changes, the recommendations change.  So it really boils down to what makes YOU comfortable.

cparkly and LadyJennifer like this.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#33 of 41 Old 07-26-2011, 10:28 AM

WELL SAID!!!  Thank you :)

#34 of 41 Old 07-26-2011, 03:11 PM

I didn't know that about the Tylenol.  I know in the hospital they were pushing Tylenol with Codeine like it was candy, when I got home the midwives took it away and I later found out that in rare cases the body can turn the Codeine into Morphine at much higher rates, causing the baby to overdose from the breastmilk.  When regular Tylenol worked just fine I couldn't understand why they had me on the other in the first place.  What are the concerns being raised with Tylenol?  I have a few creams to treat my eczema from my dermatologist, some of them the midwives disapproved of but my dermatologist said they were fine, when I'm desperate and nothing else is working I have to use them.  Though one midwife pointed out that while the creams may not be recommended during pregnancy it's not like they're heroine, and in some cases the benefits will outweigh the supposed risks, so use my own discretion. 

I once read someone's assumption about Diclectin causing their child's cleft palate because their wife had taken it during her third trimester.  While Diclectin may turn out to be another one of those "looking back" drugs, this person was sadly misinformed since a cleft palate is already formed by the third trimester.  Not really the point but this guy went on about how selfish pregnant women are to take anything that could harm the baby and how they should stop all the whining and complaining about morning sickness and just suck it up, blah blah, you know the same type of guy that can't leave the couch for a week when he gets a slight sniffle.  It was comical really. 

I fully agree with you wombatclay, one of the first things I learned as a mom was that my instincts were often more accurate than the doctors or midwives or anyone else.  If I was more stressed about the wine then it really defeated the point.  I would love a small glass right now, but DH doesn't drink it and then I'd feel bad for opening an entire bottle knowing that I'd never finish it.  I wouldn't order a glass at a restaurant because those are just looks I'd rather not deal with, I don't care what others think but I don't feel I want that wine enough to have to ignore the looks either.  I'm getting very tempted though to indulge tonight while having a nice oatmeal bath.  My skin is incredibly dry right now and I'm having a lot of BH contractions, I tried timing them last night but absolutely no regularity, plus baby has wedged her foot into a particularly tender spot making the contractions actually hurt a bit, so a nice bath with a small glass may be what I need.

#35 of 41 Old 07-26-2011, 08:11 PM

I always get them pretty early on, but I've been having a lot more lately. And I'm the same, they diefinitely get more frequent when I'm stressed or dehydrated! They are not painful, but certainly uncomfortable and leave me breathless.

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#36 of 41 Old 07-27-2011, 05:47 AM

Smurfy- I'll see if I can find the studies, I wasn't really paying attention at the time beyond a sort of "go figure" reaction.  I totally agree with the risk/benefit balance (and how it's got to be a personal decision)... after my c/s with dd1 I was worried about the post-op pain killers showing up in the breastmilk and a very nice nurse told me she'd rather see a "sleepy nursing babe on a comfortable mom's breast" than a "wide awake and totally alert babe getting frustrated that mom's pain is inhibiting breastfeeding".  It kind of put the moment in a different perspective for me... like putting on your own breathing mask first.

BH- had a solid hour of BH contractions last night that totally freaked me out.  I even woke up DH because I was just laying there in bed worrying about preterm labor and what the heck we would do if we had to leave for the hospital at 3am... we have three young kiddos, no geographically close friends we could call, and although both grandmothers have volunteered they live 30-60 minutes away (with our hospital another 45-60 minutes away in the opposite direction.  Thankfully things eased off (after a bottle of water, a cup of yogurt, a few bathroom trips, backrubbing from DH, and eventually some sleepy silly distraction from ds who sorta-kinda woke up and was being a bit goofy) but I think I really need to go over the "what if" plans with the midwife this Friday.  I do NOT want another night like last night if I can avoid it!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#37 of 41 Old 07-27-2011, 12:32 PM

I've been having a lot more BH lately. I really appreciate sometimes that most of you are a few weeks ahead of me so I can read here to find out what to expect in a few weeks' time.  I am in week 31 right now and am having some of the things mentioned a few weeks back such as BH and the lovely regurgitation after eating. Like some of you had mentioned, I think I have more of them when worn out and/or dehydrated, which makes sense. But the thoughts of preterm labor do creep into my head. I'm finding that I'm having to work harder to take good care of myself, all of a sudden. With two young children I am too accustomed to putting others' needs first so my self-care has required some intention and effort throughout this pregnancy, moreso now.

DH got a lovely red wine to have with steak last weekend and I had three sips which I enjoyed very much. That seemed like enough for me.

#38 of 41 Old 07-27-2011, 02:54 PM

I managed to get my relaxing oatmeal bath, found some cheap red wine downstairs and poured myself half a glass, and by that I mean about 2.5 oz.  Oddly enough the first couple sips tasted so good, but after that I didn't feel like drinking much more, so I only drank half of it.  Still the combo of the bath, small amount of wine a book and some music really helped.  Though now I'm getting BH contractions again, guess they're inevitable at this point.  I had a panic moment and made sure I lined up a couple of friends that don't work as my emergency call for childcare when I go into labor.  My parents are coming to help but they live 3 hours away and aren't planning to come up and wait around for me to go into labor, thank goodness because we'd drive each other nuts!!  We're also going on our last summer trip this weekend, 3 hours away through a narrow mountain pass, part of the road does not have cell service, to DH's boss's cabin.  It's an amazing cabin, huge with a beautiful mountain and golf course view, but no AC, fortunately the basement is cool.  That far away makes me a little nervous but we can't sit at home all summer just in case of pre-term labor.  After that we may venture out camping one last time but somewhere a lot closer to home, or at least to the hospital. 

With the Tylenol my biggest concern is the Tylenol with Codeine, because I have heard of a baby actually dying, not to scare anyone.  Once I switched to just extra-strength Tylenol I realized I didn't even need the Codeine.  That's the part I don't understand with hospitals, I kind of wish they'd use the lower dose first and see how that does and if it's needed increase to something stronger.  The only time I did need more was when my shoulder cramped up really bad from nursing and they couldn't give me anything anyways.  Other than that I would've been just fine with extra-strength Tylenol and alternating with Ibuprofen. 

#39 of 41 Old 07-27-2011, 03:32 PM

Here it is (though note that further research is being done, and the increased risk is still relatively small.  Also note that aspirin and ibuprofen have their own risks and, in many cases, those risks are greater than those being looked into with acetaminophen):

One study is Jensen, MS, et al. Maternal use of acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and acetylsalicylic acid during pregnancy and risk of cryptorchidism. Epidemiology 2010;21:6.

With the summary available from PubMed (here), inculding:

Quote:

RESULTS:

Exposure to acetaminophen during both the first and second trimesters was associated with increased occurrence of cryptorchidism (HR = 1.33 [95% confidence interval = 1.00-1.77]). Exposure for more than 4 weeks within the postulated time-window of programming testicular descent (gestational weeks 8-14) was associated with a HR of 1.38 (1.05-1.83) for cryptorchidism. Exposure to ibuprofen and acetylsalicylic acid was not associated with cryptorchidism.

And the other is:

Leffers, H, et al (2010). "Intrauterine exposure to mild analgesics is a risk factor for development of male reproductive disorders in human and rat". Human Reproduction 25 (1): 235–244. 

The full text of this one is available online here (note, in Europe it's called paracetamol, but it's the same thing as acetaminophen), and includes:

Quote:
RESULTS In the Danish birth cohort, the use of mild analgesics was dose-dependently associated with congenital cryptorchidism. In particular, use during the second trimester increased the risk.

Quote:

CONCLUSION There was an association between the timing and the duration of mild analgesic use during pregnancy and the risk of cryptorchidism. These findings were supported by anti-androgenic effects in rat models leading to impaired masculinization. Our results suggest that intrauterine exposure to mild analgesics is a risk factor for development of male reproductive disorders.

#40 of 41 Old 07-27-2011, 08:30 PM

So the only findings so far are a possible risk to male reproduction and genitalia?  Well DS seems just fine so far.  I know everything has so many possible risks, it's kind of annoying, make that really annoying, nothing's ever for sure.

#41 of 41 Old 07-28-2011, 01:18 PM

I /think/ those are the only things they've found so far.  Since I get migraine headaches and can't take the Rx meds during pregnancy/breastfeeding tylenol is just about my only pregnancy pain killer... so when I saw the studies I kind of said "it figures", but decided the relative risks were acceptable to me in the event of a migraine. 

Like they say... "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch".  :}

Smurfy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page