thoughts on strollers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-10-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my mom has decided that we need to clean out the garage and get rid of the 2 strollers we have (1 graco that was part of a travel system and 1 double stroller i got from craigslist about-both are about 6 years old).  they are in pretty bad shape after 2 kids :)  she also said she would give me money for a new stroller for this little one.  yippee!!

the thing is, i mostly wear my babies, especially in the early days, so spending loads of money on a stroller for what will be my last baby seems kinda wasteful to me. 

anyone have any opinions on what would be a good fit for us?  something that would get occassional use, lightweight, good for a newborn, etc.  also, we will not be using an infant seat, just a convertible, bc my car can't fit it with the other 2 seats in the backplus, again, it's 6 years old. so we don't need to worry about whether a seat can snap into it.  baby will basically be in the car seat and then popped into the moby wrap.

i thought this one looked nice and had some good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Contours-ZL014-TLO1-Lite-Stroller-Tangerine/product-reviews/B0030EH8OO/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

what is everyone one else doing?

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

#2 of 16 Old 07-10-2011, 08:57 AM

crashing ddc but that one looks great and what a deal! my lo doesnt like the stroller much but i have put her in an old jeep double stroller fine, she just prefers to be carried/wrap

familybed2.gifSAHM, military wife, momma to DSD 2004lady.gif, 2007angel1.gif, DS 2008jog.gif,  DD 2011 jog.gif

lactivist.gifintactivist.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing2.gifphotosmile2.gif

#3 of 16 Old 07-10-2011, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

That's how I feel about strollers, too. I wore my daughter all the time. I always felt so tricky navigating nimbly through all the stroller families at the zoo. I don't think we're going to get a stroller right off the bat, but we'll probably be looking for something similar to that. I like how light, yet sturdy it looks. One thing I found with DD was she really wanted to climb up by herself, and I found a Graco stroller at a thrift store where the tray swung to the side, and it was really nice to have.

girl reading.gif absolutely in love with boy modifiedartist.gif.  DD loveeyes.gif (11/06) and DS luxlove.gif (08/11), and someone new in July stork-suprise.gif!
#4 of 16 Old 07-10-2011, 01:27 PM

That looks great! 

I never really used a stroller for my other kids...I had a big clunky second hand one that my MIL gave me, which I NEVER used, because it was impossible to fold up and unfold, and then i had an umbrella stroller that I would use for walks and stuff.  This time, I actually spent money on a nice stroller for the first time ever!  Costco had nice jogging strollers on for a great price, and I do like to run, so this will probably only get used for that purpose.  I always wear my babies, so I wasn't even going to get one at all, but it will be really nice to have the jogging stroller so I can go for runs again after baby comes.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#5 of 16 Old 07-10-2011, 05:42 PM

It's a little more expensive, but I am getting this one by the same company: http://www.amazon.com/Contours-Options-Wheeler-Stroller-Cinnamon/dp/B002UKKVIY/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1310344736&sr=1-2

Although I don't plan on using it very often (hope to baby wear for most of the time), this one has the option of facing the seat forward or backward, like a lot of really expensive ones, plus it has three wheels, which makes it easier to maneuver on sidewalks and public transit should it come to that. :)

Moo.

#6 of 16 Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh I love it! Now why couldn't I find something this nice (and this inexpensive) at the local babies store?!

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#7 of 16 Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 AM

I got one like this ...cannot seem to post the link. But it is a Combi. It is very light weight and the back lays down so you can use it with a little baby. It comes in single or double. I have a single I got with my 2 yr old and do not intend to buy a double.  

#8 of 16 Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 AM
#9 of 16 Old 07-13-2011, 03:18 PM

I really want the Contours Lite. Even though I have a perfectly good stroller from DD. They carry it in-store at Sears, too.

goldfish.gif Mischa 9.30.08, ribbonpb.gif Willow 7.4.10 (21 weeks), rainbow1284.gif Nate 8.27.11

#10 of 16 Old 07-13-2011, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

My sister has the City Mini and it's magnificent! To fold you just grab a handle in the middle (where the baby would sit) and lift and it folds up.. really nice and safe. It's small enough for easy travel/packing up in the car, but big enough to really hold the child.

#11 of 16 Old 07-13-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMonkey View Post

My sister has the City Mini and it's magnificent! To fold you just grab a handle in the middle (where the baby would sit) and lift and it folds up.. really nice and safe. It's small enough for easy travel/packing up in the car, but big enough to really hold the child.

Sure, but it's $200-$250!

However I suppose it isn't so bad when you compare it to this one that I saw at a local boutique: 

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=stokke+xplory+stroller&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=513&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8952683347141438693&sa=X&ei=y3IeTrK6PMXhiAKh88CdAw&ved=0CJEBEPICMAg

I fell in love with it, but when the sales lady casually dropped the price into conversation I almost fell over. jaw.gif

Moo.

#12 of 16 Old 07-14-2011, 06:32 AM

This is the most awesome stroller Ive seen but it is WAY too expensive!!!

http://www.uppababy.com/products/product.php?id=119

The inside of the pram is all lined with organic fabrics and you can buy a stand for it for use in the house too.

They have smaller models too but I'm not sure what those prices are but as far as a well made...made in the USA stroller...Ive been told their customer service is excellent, it's light, easy to maneuver...but spendy! Cant say Ill be buying one of these myself!!!

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#13 of 16 Old 07-14-2011, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I bought a cheapie second hand umbrella stroller for $12.50 from a consignment shop. It's pretty good... and definitely one of the fancy ones would be nice.. but not THAT nice!!! Imagine spending over a thousand dollars!!

#14 of 16 Old 07-14-2011, 11:28 AM

The one I listed is $600 (YIKES!!! In my dreams! lol!!!) but when my cousin lived in Europe and didn't have a car because she took the public rail system or walked everywhere, we all pitched in on the top of the line stroller there and it was $1,200!!! Now her daughter is almost 5 and she passed it on to her brother and his wife and it will live for another family. My crap Graco strollers never even made it through one kid! When my kids get to be about 20 lbs my back cant take baby wearing anymore. Strollers become my BFF till they are old enough to truck around on their own for long adventures! I still cant justify a $600 stroller! lol!

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#15 of 16 Old 07-14-2011, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We had a $300.00 one called the Ariah, which was really nice for my first son. That is alot of money to spend for us, but we only have one car and I walk him to places, so it justified the expense. 

Too bad DH left it out in the snow last year and it got moldy - we are very allergic to mold - and we had to throw it out.

Now I am looking for something similar, but that can hold two.. which means more $$$! 

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#16 of 16 Old 07-16-2011, 05:01 AM

We have a Chicco Liteway Stroller.   The back goes all the way down and has a harness so it can be used from pretty early on.  Babies R Us has them for about $139, then you can use a 20% off coupon too.

We also have a Peg Perego OH Aria - they don't make it any more and out of the two, we prefer the Chicco.  It is light, folds up like an umbrella stroller and DS prefers it now that he is older which is important too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page