so, whose going minimalist with this babe? how and why? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 07-10-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

this will be my last baby.  i just don't see spending loads of money on "stuff" at this point.  with 3 kids and 2 adults under one roof, i'd like to pair down a bit. 

So far I have bought/was given:

*12 prefolds

*2 xsmall covers

*2 small adjustable covers

*3 xsmall aoi's

*2 xsmall wool covers

*1 small adjustable aio

*changing pad for changing table

*2 super-fluffy baby towels

*6 washcloths

we have diapers from dd and ds, but nothing that was small enough for the first few months.  eventhough ds was 8 lbs 7 oz at birth, our small fuzzibunz were swimming on him and we used disposables until he grew into them.  i vowed NOT to do that this time.

clothes we have neutral, boy and girl, from both kiddies so we're covered on that front.

we're getting rid of our 2 old strollers and purchasing an inexpensive one for those time when baby won't be in a sling.  i am also tempted to get rid of our old high chair.  ds never used bc dd was still using it.  when he was ready to eat with us, we just got him a booster that attached to the chair (which is how both dd and ds now sit at our table).  i'm planning on doing the same thing this time, so i feel the high chair is unecessary (and taking up space!!)

what about everyone else?  what are you buying and not buying?  better yet, what are you making?  i'd love to make some stuff for this little one, but i feel like i have everything from both dd and ds, plus two breasts ;)  what else could we need?

p.s. i also just bought myself a new diaper bag.  it was so cute, i couldn't resist!!  my last one is 6 years old and i just felt like it was time for an update.  sad when buying a new diaper bag becomes more like a present to yourself than a necessity ;)

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-10-2011, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

This is our 4th. I don't think I'll buy anything except for some newborn diapers and whatever other diapers the previous 3 have worn out. (cloth)

I save my favorite baby clothes and pass the rest on, but I'm sure I have enough at this point. I'm making diaper soakers, one blanket (it's a tradition for each babe), hats, a sleepy sack and I don't know what else. I don't really need any special baby sized wash cloths or towels. I have a few left yet, or can make do with our big ones. I don't bathe my babes much anyway... I like sponge baths and natural baby oils. I use whatever I have around for diaper bags. I did get a cute green canvas type bag that's a bit bigger than a purse and hangs over the shoulder. It was super cheap at a garage sale, and I think I'll use it as a diaper bag this time. I would like to find a nicer stroller than we have for when Baby gets too big to carry all the time. Otherwise, I'm a sling/wrap/carrier loving mommy. :)

Wife to the greatest guy, and mommy to six handsome and fun boys!
#3 of 12 Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I don't plan on buying anything, really.  I have cloth diapers, I have clothes, I use my purse to tuck an extra diaper and an outfit in when I go...have never used a diaper bag.  Honestly, there is nothing I really need for this baby that we dont' already have other than a swing, a bouncy and an infant seat.  All of which will be borrowed from a friend and not purchased new.  We are super minimalist I guess.  We don't do a nursery, we don't have a crib, or need bottles or paci's, etc.  I have all the slings and carriers I'd want already.  There just isn't anything to buy!  I have no special set up I need to create, nothing.  We'll just fit the baby into our world as it already is.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#4 of 12 Old 07-10-2011, 05:10 PM

I'm in the same boat, this is #3 and our last. This is a boy and we already have a boy, so all set on clothing. Just need to buy a baby bucket car seat and swing and have both of those lined up, great deals in excellent used condition from people I know. I bought a stash of cloth diapers as I had nothing left in a newborn size (sold everything to trade up in size with my daughter) but I got all of those gently used too. I still have my gender-neutral moby wrap and soft carrier from my daughter as well as a ring sling from my son so hopefully we are all set there too.

The one thing I have splurged on is knitting for the baby. Mostly because I think it's really special to be able to make things for your loved ones with your own two hands and it's a nice way for me to bond with this baby, as I've had trouble with that this time around, an unplanned pregnancy. I have a neighbor who runs a yarn shop out of her home and gives me a screaming deal on nice yarns so I used some really nice wools for some longies, a soaker, hat and booties and a couple of sweaters in different sizes. I also didn't start knitting until my daughter was 1 so it's special to be able to knit for a newborn.

We are actually selling our crib and dresser which we bought for our first and have barely used, to make room for a twin bed for my daughter so she can stay in our room for the time being and not bother the baby with her crazy flip flopping and horizontal sleeping. ;)

#5 of 12 Old 07-12-2011, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We are having a boy and already have clothes from our first boy. We need a few things like an infant carrier, but don't have the money to buy anything right now since we have gone through hardship in the past year.

I'm hoping to get some things after the baby is born, but right now it doesn't look like we will be buying anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wife to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Mama to
DS 6/08 and DS
9/11
#6 of 12 Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 AM

I am staying minimalist too. I am buying nothing but a baby swing. Some clothes, and some pink diapers. I have had a lot of boys and am having a girl this time so she really needed some pink and all. 

#7 of 12 Old 07-13-2011, 09:57 AM

We're moving into a new house where we will actually have two extra rooms and it hadn't even occurred to me to set one up as a nursery until someone asked why I wasn't doing it! Our two boys are 10 & 3 and still want to share a room on the same floor as us. I know that the baby is realistically going to be in our bed until he's nearly 4. The other rooms were for an office and for grandma to stay in when she comes to help out.

The no nursery for the baby means a whole lot of stuff is cut out! Basically we need diapers, a booster seat for our son so the baby can use his convertible seat, and some sort of bouncy chair to set the baby in when I'm taking a shower/cooking. And probably a swing. I know it's totally a luxury, but it saved my sanity with my first when he was wide awake at 3 am! I have larger sized cloth diapers, a stroller, and a baby carrier leftover from the last baby.

ETA The WHY: A lot of that stuff just doesn't work for our family and all the baby gear/things crowded around the house make me feel claustrophobic.

#8 of 12 Old 07-13-2011, 11:34 AM

We also are not really buying much of anything.  This is our third, so we have most everything we will need.  I am pretty good with newborn diapers, though I may have to buy a couple of covers as some have lost their waterproofing.  I also have to find a changing pad (which we use on our bureau in our bedroom), as our elderly cat used our last one as a litter box :( ewwww!  The only other things I am looking for are a double jogging stroller (mine was just stolen out of my yard a few weeks ago...urgh!), and possibly a pack and play to set up on on first floor as a changing station/nap station....I haven't decided though....If we dont' actually buy any of those, it wouldn't be the end of the world though, so we'll see :)-

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boys
Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (3) and Baylen (born 11/11/14)
#9 of 12 Old 07-13-2011, 12:14 PM

DS and this baby - a girl - will be sharing a room so we aren't going full out. But because she is not a he, I do want some girly things. I have a few "BIG" items I want - a double stroller - DS will be about 22 months when this one is born, and while he does like to walk alot, sometimes I need him or he wants to, ride. We do have a Boba carrier that he will still be able to be in should he want to be worn also. there are also times - especially in the summer - when I really would rather not babywear, if baby girl will be content in the stroller (we have a 115 degree heat index today - if next summer is anywhere near as hot . . . . oh my)

Also a video monitor, but that is more for DS than the baby. We are in a 2 story house now, and I would really like to be able to check on him while he's sleeping without climbing the stairs.

I did by newborn/small diaper covers. I want to crochet some baby items, maybe a sweater or a hat, if I can. But really, there is not much I need. I have no problem having the baby girl wear blue/green/cream, etc while we are home.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel
11/20/2009 and Norah
10/11/2011 and Theo
03/11/2013- married to Wayne -

#10 of 12 Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 AM

I don't think my list is minimalist compared to actual minimalists :), but it is minimalist compared to most people I know, all of whose homes look like they robbed Babies 'R Us.

This is our first baby, so there were a lot of shower gifts and we did do a nursery (although all the furniture was hand me down).  We have clothes/blankets/sleep sacks (some used, some new), a baby carrier (used), a bouncy seat (gift), a car seat (used by one other baby for a few months), a stroller (used), a monitor (gift) and a co-sleeper (used).  We're cloth diapering so we have covers for the diapers.  We have a mobile (gift), a diaper bag (gift) and I'll probably get or make a nursing pillow.  A friend is giving us her old Fisher Price swing in case our baby likes it.

I think I will use all of those things.  We're not getting a baby bathtub, pack 'n play, wiper warmer, baby food maker, bottle sterilizers, baby shoes, a highchair (at least not yet), lots of complicated "educational" plastic toys or clothes for a baby older than 6ish months. 

I like to be prepared with some things, but it's not like the stores close when you have the baby.....If I really need something else, I will just go get it (probably for a tenth of the price on Craigs List).

#11 of 12 Old 07-14-2011, 09:26 AM

With our first, we had tons of clothes for 6-12 months, because we snagged great ones on clearance while I was pregnant. That and I did lots of consignment shopping!

While an actual baby bathtub isn't a must, I did use lots -and plan to again with this baby, a mesh sling seat like this one - I set it in the shower with me so I could keep an eye on baby - and baby can keep an eye  on me - while I showered, and then rinse baby off when I was done. We don't bathe DS a lot, mostly he just joins us in the shower once in a while. Plan to do the same with this babe.

I love, love, love craigslist! I have gotten tons of good baby stuff.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel
11/20/2009 and Norah
10/11/2011 and Theo
03/11/2013- married to Wayne -

#12 of 12 Old 07-26-2011, 06:02 AM

Since this is our 3rd and last, there's not much for us to get. I actually sold most of our baby stuff to my bff, and bought it back when we found out we were expecting. Plus this is our first boy  so we are getting hand me downs from her ! If there is anything we find we need, we will def look to Craigslist. But I doubt there's anything at this point.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page